Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like Cruise is back in the UK and hopping out of helicopters:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583971/Tom-Cruise-throws-helicopter-10-000ft.html

EeeGsQJXsAEYI-q?format=jpg&name=large

Given that he was contractually obligated to work on Eyes on Wide Shut for over two years, I suppose he must be used to the feeling of being under unofficial imprisonment in the UK by now. lol

Ha! I'm pretty sure he'd gone back home during the worst of it, and he's on record as saying he actually likes it in the UK- and it does sound like he means it rather than movie-star-is-polite-to-local-journo flim flam. In fact I think I heard McQ saying it: he feels like people don't come up to him as much as he and McQ go for walks in Hyde Park discussing the movie and he doesn't get disturbed. He has made a lot of movies in the UK over the last twenty years or so so I guess there's something to it.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 440
    Looks like Cruise is back in the UK and hopping out of helicopters:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583971/Tom-Cruise-throws-helicopter-10-000ft.html

EeeGsQJXsAEYI-q?format=jpg&name=large

Given that he was contractually obligated to work on Eyes on Wide Shut for over two years, I suppose he must be used to the feeling of being under unofficial imprisonment in the UK by now. lol

Ha! I'm pretty sure he'd gone back home during the worst of it, and he's on record as saying he actually likes it in the UK- and it does sound like he means it rather than movie-star-is-polite-to-local-journo flim flam. In fact I think I heard McQ saying it: he feels like people don't come up to him as much as he and McQ go for walks in Hyde Park discussing the movie and he doesn't get disturbed. He has made a lot of movies in the UK over the last twenty years or so so I guess there's something to it.

I have no doubt they both mean it. A lot of filmmakers, especially American ones, really seem to like making films in the UK even if they're mostly/entirely set in other countries.

It seems to be a combination of the (as you mentioned) relative anonymity, the crews/actors, and the large proliferation of expansive production facilities and buildings which can easily be turned into expansive production facilities (disused factories, airplane hangars, and the like) located near the major city centres.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Yeah I'm sure. Although I think perhaps (even though I do still like seeing it!) the M:I films should possibly try to have fewer scenes set in London for the next couple of movies! :) Ethan's always here!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Hadn't heard about this controversy, but as always, McQuarrie seems well able to deal with it. If what he says is true, then that is a major coup for the film; being able to blow up a full size bridge without having to touch the sequence up or manipulate it with CG is a dream scenario for any filmmaker.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Speaking of bridges, I still want to see that glass bridge idea come to fruition. Sounded wild.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I rewatched a good chunk of Fallout the other day and liked it less this time.

I found the bathroom fight a little annoying. I didn't like how the fake Lark was able to grab the pipe from the wall so easily. It's like Bond ripping the handle off the door at the opera in QoS. I also didn't care for that part when Hunt runs at the fake Lark and they both go through the wall like it was nothing. It's over the top. I don't know why I'm accepting of the over the top-ness of something like MI2 and not so much here. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I feel this film's style hints at something less exaggerated and doesn't deliver, or maybe I like certain types of over the top-ness and others not so much.

I think the helicopter chase at the end runs too long. At times it feels like the scene is on hold while the rest of the team is making progress with defusing the bombs and locating Lane.

The plot is too twisty for my taste. It might also be a little messy. I don't know, it's hard to follow.

I still like the film, though. The Paris car chase is great. But I think the two films that came before it were probably better.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I found the bathroom fight a little annoying. I didn't like how the fake Lark was able to grab the pipe from the wall so easily. It's like Bond ripping the handle off the door at the opera in QoS. I also didn't care for that part when Hunt runs at the fake Lark and they both go through the wall like it was nothing. It's over the top. I don't know why I'm accepting of the over the top-ness of something like MI2 and not so much here. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I feel this film's style hints at something less exaggerated and doesn't deliver, or maybe I like certain types of over the top-ness and others not so much.

I think the helicopter chase at the end runs too long. At times it feels like the scene is on hold while the rest of the team is making progress with defusing the bombs and locating Lane.

The plot is too twisty for my taste. It might also be a little messy. I don't know, it's hard to follow.

I still like the film, though. The Paris car chase is great. But I think the two films that came before it were probably better.

Very similar to my feelings about Fallout. The reviews and fan feedback got my hopes up too high after the 1-2 punch of GP and RN, which were so satisfying and it left me just a bit disappointed after I saw it. Especially that helicopter business. I tried to hold off spoilers as much as possible and I knew Hunt hanging onto the bag was coming, but it only reminded me of TLD's cargo net fight with Necros. The stop the ticking bomb business is now just another trope, not so much exciting as it once was.

I did really like the bathroom fight because it's brutal and a case where the hero really gets his @$$ handed to him as well as a (sort-of) colleague and there's suspense with the people coming in and out and a bit of humor. I was also a bit let down with the Ilsa character and her storyline. They should've held off of her storyline until the final chapters.

It's nowhere near a letdown as SP was, but I hope if these next 2 chapters of the MI saga close it out so they go out on a high note, just as I long for NTTD to for the Craig era of Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The main thing I find unbelievable about that is that you have the massive Grand Palais packed with thousands of people for a rave, and yet only five of them are using the toilet?
    :D

It does literally run too long: the timer is only supposed to be 15 mins! :)

I still think it's a tremendous film though.

The main thing I find unbelievable about that is that you have the massive Grand Palais packed with thousands of people for a rave, and yet only five of them are using the toilet?
    :D

It's also the most well dressed rave I've ever seen. Everyone is wearing a suit!
  • mattjoes wrote: »

Yeah I don't think it stands up that well to repeat viewings - I've found it becomes a bit of a bore.
    It only gets stronger for me with each viewing but I totally get where these concerns and issues come from. Some of it is quite nonsensical for how "grounded" the film appears.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It only gets stronger for me with each viewing but I totally get where these concerns and issues come from. Some of it is quite nonsensical for how "grounded" the film appears.

Same here. I love it. It certainly doesn't bore me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690

Same here too. It is my favorite of the franchise.
  • I agree with the comment on the long helicopter chase - it's cartoonish overkill.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it’s pretty perfect and very tense.

I tend to move between them; it depends on the day of the week! :P
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I tend to move between them; it depends on the day of the week! :P

Yes, I know what you mean. I pretty much know what my favourite Bond films are (although I haven't exactly written a list! :) ) but with M:I I genuinely don't know which I prefer! It could be any of the last three plus the first one.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,272
    Åndalsnes, a town in Møre og Romsdal county, is preparing for the M:I production to start filming.
    Tom Cruise is not expected in Åndalsnes until the end of August. But preparations are already underway. At a freight terminal in the town, an area is closed off by security. At the back you can see old NSB wagons that have been overhauled.

According to VG's own train expert Øyvind Engan, these are wagons of type B3. The classic red color has been replaced with dark blue, the carriages have according to Åndalsnes Avis been labeled "Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits et des Grands Express Europeens", which is the name of the historical operator of the Orient Express.

Earlier this month, there has also been activity around the spectacular train bridge Kylling bridge, which indicates that scenes might be shot here. Two large Hurtigruten ships are moored in Åndalnses, and it is expected that the large crew will live here while the filming is in progress.
    I wonder if Solomon Lane will return in Part VII (he was great villian in "Rogue Nation"). Are there any rumors about this?
    Librarian wrote: »
    I wonder if Solomon Lane will return in Part VII (he was great villian in "Rogue Nation"). Are there any rumors about this?

I doubt it. His story seems served and complete now and it'd be ridiculous to have him as a major pawn in the game yet again. Time for some new villains/henchmen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Looking a bit GoldenEye!

6yrt6kok2qi51.jpg

Impressive that he's managed to combine his two obsessions of motorbikes and skydiving!
    That man is crazy and I love it. He has no fear at all, a true adrenaline junkie.
    Tom Cruise has now landed in Norway to shoot scenes in Møre og Romsdal.

https://www.tv2.no/v/1587074/
    Tom even makes his coronavirus mask look cool. Damn, I can't wait for these next two installments.
    Tom even makes his coronavirus mask look cool. Damn, I can't wait for these next two installments.

Right? I was thinking the exact same thing. And he's so cool with everyone.
  • BT3366 wrote: »

Very similar to my feelings about Fallout. The reviews and fan feedback got my hopes up too high after the 1-2 punch of GP and RN, which were so satisfying and it left me just a bit disappointed after I saw it. Especially that helicopter business. I tried to hold off spoilers as much as possible and I knew Hunt hanging onto the bag was coming, but it only reminded me of TLD's cargo net fight with Necros. The stop the ticking bomb business is now just another trope, not so much exciting as it once was.

I did really like the bathroom fight because it's brutal and a case where the hero really gets his @$$ handed to him as well as a (sort-of) colleague and there's suspense with the people coming in and out and a bit of humor. I was also a bit let down with the Ilsa character and her storyline. They should've held off of her storyline until the final chapters.

It's nowhere near a letdown as SP was, but I hope if these next 2 chapters of the MI saga close it out so they go out on a high note, just as I long for NTTD to for the Craig era of Bond.

I was the opposite. I thought RN was to GP what MR was to TSWLM. A very technically impressive film, but still a big, bloated followup, that failed to understand what made the first one work was how fresh it felt.

But I did really enjoy Fallout. I liked how they went darker, and decided to finally give Ethan Hunt a bit more character. It wasn’t perfect. I thought it was too long, the plot was contrived (so there’s two different bad guys with the same vague goal of toppling “the old world order” or whatever it was?), Cavill just doesn’t impress me in anything, and the way they kept teasing really dark stuff happening then going “haha not really” started to grate on me by the end (the Paris dream sequence was probably the most annoying example). But I liked it a lot better than RN.

Can’t say I’m as invested in the series as others seem to be though. They’re beating Bond on action at the minute, but it just doesn’t have the same sense of style and colour for me, and obviously Bond is a much more interesting character. It’s a good American take on Bond. But I always tend to prefer the British originals over their American remakes.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I was the opposite. I thought RN was to GP what MR was to TSWLM. A very technically impressive film, but still a big, bloated followup, that failed to understand what made the first one work was how fresh it felt.

But I did really enjoy Fallout. I liked how they went darker, and decided to finally give Ethan Hunt a bit more character. It wasn’t perfect. I thought it was too long, the plot was contrived (so there’s two different bad guys with the same vague goal of toppling “the old world order” or whatever it was?), Cavill just doesn’t impress me in anything, and the way they kept teasing really dark stuff happening then going “haha not really” started to grate on me by the end (the Paris dream sequence was probably the most annoying example). But I liked it a lot better than RN.

Can’t say I’m as invested in the series as others seem to be though. They’re beating Bond on action at the minute, but it just doesn’t have the same sense of style and colour for me, and obviously Bond is a much more interesting character. It’s a good American take on Bond. But I always tend to prefer the British originals over their American remakes.

Interesting take. I really think the two series complement each other. I hear so many times the Craig films are nothing but Bourne films. I respect the Bournes more than like them, but I can enjoy Bond and MI on a different level and that's why 2015 was such a fun year because I could enjoy new films from both.

I didn't mind giving Ethan Hunt a little more character development in Fallout, I just didn't want it to go in the direction of Craig Bond films, which are already weighed down enough by the personal thing. I much prefer the lighter moments, which come off better. It's not just the steely hero who shakes everything off and that's what humanizes Hunt a bit more and makes him more relatable.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think the Bond films deliver the style and color as much as they once did, and that's likely because we have not only more travel access but more media that exposes us to those locations. Too often, Bonds are set in one place but actually just on the Pinewood lot someplace even today or actually utilize the real locations better. QoS did it great. Compare, say, the Paris chase in Fallout to the Rome chase in SP to note who did it much better.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837

Interesting take. I really think the two series complement each other. I hear so many times the Craig films are nothing but Bourne films. I respect the Bournes more than like them, but I can enjoy Bond and MI on a different level and that's why 2015 was such a fun year because I could enjoy new films from both.

I didn't mind giving Ethan Hunt a little more character development in Fallout, I just didn't want it to go in the direction of Craig Bond films, which are already weighed down enough by the personal thing. I much prefer the lighter moments, which come off better. It's not just the steely hero who shakes everything off and that's what humanizes Hunt a bit more and makes him more relatable.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think the Bond films deliver the style and color as much as they once did, and that's likely because we have not only more travel access but more media that exposes us to those locations. Too often, Bonds are set in one place but actually just on the Pinewood lot someplace even today or actually utilize the real locations better. QoS did it great. Compare, say, the Paris chase in Fallout to the Rome chase in SP to note who did it much better.

I’d have agreed after SF, but I thought SP was a big step up location wise. The bits on the train and the Rolls arriving in the desert were particular highlights. Character wise too. Bond was still human and fleshed out, but less mopey, and he finally had an arc that wasn’t just hitting the same beats as CR again.

The Rome chase was a disappointment though, I’ll give you that. I’ve heard it theorised that the general lack of extras after the PTS was an intentional choice. Reflecting the ghost theme once Bond finds the ring and is on Spectre’s tail.

I agree though, didn’t work very well for me, and I’m hoping we see less of that wanky symbolism now Mendes is gone. I love what the Craig films have done with Bond as a character, fleshing him out and humanising him a bit. But I’m not as keen on the art housey stuff. Having interesting themes is cool, but Mendes frequently let his obsession with them get in the way of making a good, exciting Bond film (messing around with the gunbarrels, the empty streets of the Rome chase). I’m all for risks and new angles, but it’s a balancing act imo. Don’t forget you’re making an action/thriller film first and foremost.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Presumably Tom is going to ride his motorbike off the end of this... :-O

4t84xy9bsbk51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=df58016c257bb8b61a56203d1d07f352015d8e8a