And the Bondie for best actor as a Henchman...page 126

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Revelator wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »
    Yes the lots of guts line is a bit of a weird one.

It's gallows humor. For the audience it relieves tension after a gruesome scene. For Bond and Tracy it signifies relief that one of the people sent to kill them got what he deserved.

We know what happens in the scene, it's just that no normal person would find that funny in that circumstance! :) Which is fine when Bond says that sort of thing to himself, but Tracy isn't quite the hardened psycho that he is :D
    mtm wrote: »
    We know what happens in the scene, it's just that no normal person would find that funny in that circumstance!

I don't think Tracy was going to shed many tears over an incompetent homicidal Spectre henchman getting his just desserts, especially when he was trying to kill her as well as Bond. So she probably wouldn't be offended by Bond making light of his death. Maybe she would have been amused by her potential killer getting killed instead. Had it been an innocent person who got killed, Bond's remark would have come off as plain nasty (the way Blofeld's remarks about Campbell are), but in a Bond film a Spectre henchman is a lower form of life. I can see why some might dislike Lazenby's delivery, since it's the opposite of throwaway, but he's shouting the line to someone else while skiing, so subtlety wasn't an option.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's gallows humor. For the audience it relieves tension after a gruesome scene. For Bond and Tracy it signifies relief that one of the people sent to kill them got what he deserved.

We know what happens in the scene, it's just that no normal person would find that funny in that circumstance! :) Which is fine when Bond says that sort of thing to himself, but Tracy isn't quite the hardened psycho that he is :D

I never thought of it this way - I think it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Tracy appreciating that kind of humour considering her upbringing, her personality, and her state of mind when we first meet her. She's certainly not a normal person, anyway!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    From the nominees, I'll choose the one from TB.

On a sidenote, I always liked:
    They'll print anything these days.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    We know what happens in the scene, it's just that no normal person would find that funny in that circumstance!

I don't think Tracy was going to shed many tears over an incompetent homicidal Spectre henchman getting his just desserts, especially when he was trying to kill her as well as Bond. So she probably wouldn't be offended by Bond making light of his death. Maybe she would have been amused by her potential killer getting killed instead.

Normal people don't think like that, no. Shock and horror would be the reaction, no matter who it happens to.
    I know she's the daughter of a gangster, but by all appearances he's kept her out of all that.

I never thought of it this way - I think it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Tracy appreciating that kind of humour considering her upbringing, her personality, and her state of mind when we first meet her. She's certainly not a normal person, anyway!

Yikes: OHMSS has suddenly become the tale of two psychos! :D

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Thunderball is without question has the wittiest Bond dialogue of all, IMO. I'd have to say the line of "she's just dead" following Fiona Volpe's death is the winner.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Thunderball is without question has the wittiest Bond dialogue of all, IMO.

I think it's got competition.. I'd put TMWTGG up there (I love the 'hold your piece' line), DAF has some lovely lines, MR at times (although some of them get a bit naff)... and actually NSNA is pretty witty too! "You're all wet!" "But my martini is still dry" is up there on my list of top Bond lines I think, and possibly the suavest thing he's ever said! :)

I don't think Tracy was going to shed many tears over an incompetent homicidal Spectre henchman getting his just desserts, especially when he was trying to kill her as well as Bond. So she probably wouldn't be offended by Bond making light of his death. Maybe she would have been amused by her potential killer getting killed instead.

Normal people don't think like that, no. Shock and horror would be the reaction, no matter who it happens to.
    I know she's the daughter of a gangster, but by all appearances he's kept her out of all that.

Cracking a joke whenever you kill someone sure is an unusual reaction, but I don't understand why OHMSS is different to all the other films in that regard?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,985
    Gotta go with "Shocking, positively shocking!" from GF. Cool end to the great PTS.

But i think Moore's "What a helpful chap..!" from TSWLM is a personal favourite.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jobo wrote: »

Cracking a joke whenever you kill someone sure is an unusual reaction, but I don't understand why OHMSS is different to all the other films in that regard?

Well as I said, it's a much more gruesome death than he usually deals with, he makes a joke that draws attention to the fact that the guy's insides have been turned inside out and sprayed everywhere, and he's making the joke to someone who has never hurt a fly. I would say that it's a bit worse than something like him pinning Vargas to a tree, because although that's undeniably shocking for Domino, it's a pretty clean death and weirdly his joke could even reassure her that he's got everything under control (although there's a danger of thinking he's a dick! :D ). In the OHMSS gag all he's doing is saying 'That guy just died horribly! Lol' which is maybe not the most sensitive and supportive reaction to your girlfriend having to witness a man getting blended ;)
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 2,887
    In the OHMSS gag all he's doing is saying 'That guy just died horribly! Lol' which is maybe not the most sensitive and supportive reaction to your girlfriend having to witness a man getting blended ;)

I think it's more, "the guy who was trying to kill us got killed instead, and how!" Humor in the early Bond films was not just puns for puns sake but a way of calming audiences after especially violent action ("shocking, positively shocking"). Gallows humor is how people deal with potentially traumatic material. I've seen OHMSS in the theater twice, and the "guts" line got a good laugh out of the audience both times.

"She's just dead" for me, although my fav one is "They'll print anything these days".
    Got an idea for a Bondie : best lovely lady in the title sequence. My nominations : the belly dancer from FRWL, and the gymnast from TSWLM.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Gerard wrote: »
    Got an idea for a Bondie : best lovely lady in the title sequence. My nominations : the belly dancer from FRWL, and the gymnast from TSWLM.

cd016748b05d8a747d1e9bbe41586ef3.gif
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Paula from TB and Solange from CR received no votes

Happy to read that. They were my 2 favorite nominees from that list. Also, each of them constitute 1/3 of 2 of my favorite female triads from series, i.e. Volpe/Domino/Paula from TB and Solange/Vesper/Ocean Club Receptionist from CR.

"Mind if my partner sits this one out...she's just dead" and "I think he got the point" from TB are my 2 favorites here. While I prefer Volpe to Vargas in the villainy department I case my vote for "I think he got the point" since it is so direct and indeed to the point.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    We've got a great race on our hands with only 4 votes separating first from third place. I shall keep the voting open for a bit longer and see what comes of our best quip winner!

Please excuse me but it seems a certain @Max_The_Parrot is hell bent on avenging no Roger nominees. I shall fly off for a bit as I don't think we need a bird fight! LOL!
    I'll take "I think he got the point." So cool in a movie filled with cool lines and moments with Connery in peak form. If I have a complaint, it's that Bond just picks up the spear gun one-handed, shoots and hits his mark point blank. It's a case where the character is transforming into Superman, making it look too easy. But that's a minor complaint.

Strangely, the "she's just dead" line never had an effect on me. My mom liked that one and pointed it out when I was still rather little and the irony never caught me then and it still hasn't the way other certain others have as I've gotten older - like every other joke in DAF. Connery gives it a weird delivery and puts an emphasis on "just" rather than "dead."

Shocking, positively shocking is another classic, as is the DN line.

"Yes, considerably" doesn't seem like a quip so much as sarcasm, less jokey than the others and somehow qualifies differently in that sense.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'll go with the Dr No line. As someone else pointed out, it's even more impressive being the first one...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I'll take "I think he got the point." So cool in a movie filled with cool lines and moments with Connery in peak form. If I have a complaint, it's that Bond just picks up the spear gun one-handed, shoots and hits his mark point blank. It's a case where the character is transforming into Superman, making it look too easy. But that's a minor complaint.

Strangely, the "she's just dead" line never had an effect on me. My mom liked that one and pointed it out when I was still rather little and the irony never caught me then and it still hasn't the way other certain others have as I've gotten older - like every other joke in DAF. Connery gives it a weird delivery and puts an emphasis on "just" rather than "dead."

Yeah it’s never been my favourite mostly because.. well it’s not really a common phrase, is it? You don’t really say someone’s ‘dead’. I thought Arnie improved on this one in Commando when he said the guy sat next to him on the plane was ‘dead tired’. That’s a more common figure of speech! :)
    BT3366 wrote: »
    "Yes, considerably" doesn't seem like a quip so much as sarcasm, less jokey than the others and somehow qualifies differently in that sense.

Not sarcasm, surely? He actually means it! :)

I guess generally we’re looking for puns :)

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I must do a write in for Rog, king of quips.
    Where's Drax?
    Oh he had to fly
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Not exactly a quip, but I love the moment in YOLT, just after Bond has smashed the henchman's skull with the statue in Osato's office. He heads straight to the drinks cabinet, pours himself a shot and says "Siamese Vodka? Urgh".

Pure Bond class
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The voting has slowed so I flap my wings and return to the stage to present the Bondie to best quip after a kill. The Bondie goes to "I think he got the point" from Thunderball. It received 9 votes!

The rest of the voting shows the following:
    • "Shocking, positively shocking" from GF received 7 votes
    • "Sargent see that he doesn't get away" from DN received 4 votes
    • "Mind if my partner sits this one out, she's just dead." from TB received 4 votes
    • WRITE-IN nomination "She should have kept her mouth shut" from FRWL received 1 vote

A member of our esteemed academy had put forth a category for a Bondie and Ihad neglected putting it forward. I hope @R1s1ngs0n can forgive this bird brain for not putting this up sooner! We've voted on best song, but lets look at the lyrics of the songs and award a Bondie to best lyrics in a song!

The nominees:
    • You Only Live Twice lyrics by Leslie Bricusse
    • We Have All The Time In The World lyrics by Hal David
    • Diamonds Are Forever lyrics by Don Black
    • Nobody Does It Better lyrics by Carole Sager Bayer
    • You Know My Name lyrics by Chris Cornell

Lets hear it from the songbirds on the academy. What song has the best lyrics?

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    We Have All The Time In The World lyrics by Hal David
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, agreed.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland

Yes, agreed.
    Thirded.

• peterpeter Toronto
    We Have All The Time In the World.
  • Let's make it a little bit of a contest, shall we? You Only Live Twice lyrics by Leslie Briccuse.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Difficult, but i'll go for You Only Live Twice

My favourite song of the series. Beautiful lyrics.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    YOLT
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I will also go with YOLT.