And the Bondie for best actor as a Henchman...page 126

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    As I walk to the stage I am filled with dread! Which character has been deemed to be the worst sacrificial lamb...the Klebbie goes to...Chuck Lee from A View To A Kill! Chuck received 10 votes.

The academy votes show an interesting result!
    • Paula from TB and Solange from CR received no votes
    • Luigi from FYEO received 6 votes
    • Plenty from DAF received 7 votes

Very interesting! Lets swing back to the Bondie side of things. Bond kills in cold blood and then often breaks the tension with a quip or line. Sometimes these fall flat and cause an audience grimace, but then there are those magic times when it lands perfectly! I present to you the nominees for best quip after a kill! Here are the nominees:
    • "Mind if my partner sits this one out...she's just dead." from TB
    • "The second...(gunshot) "Yes considerably" from CR
    • "Sargent, see that he doesn't get away" from DN
    • "Shocking, positively shocking" from GF
    • "I think he got the point" from TB

Interesting that the nominees are from the earlier films. Maybe if I could freshen my mind I can think of some from the modern era. I will allow the members of the academy to write in an honourable mention in their vote!

Okay dear academy members, which is best quip after a killing?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I think he got the point

Favorite one liner in the whole series
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    All of these are pretty damn great. The only reason I'm going with "Shocking, positively shocking" from GF is because of how often I find a way to quote it in my day to day life, a quirk I inherited from my Dad!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! That's a great idea for a category: I'd love to see the long list of nominees! :)

But yeah, it's got to "I think he got the point": not sure they've quite topped that yet :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think he got the point

Favorite one liner in the whole series

It s up there, but I am going for " Shocking".

"She s just dead" is just bad taste.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I always liked Dalton's "he got the boot" from TLD.

From the list though, "Shocking.... positively shocking" is one of many iconic quotes from Goldfinger. So will go with that.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Mallory wrote: »
    I always liked Dalton's "he got the boot" from TLD.

From the list though, "Shocking.... positively shocking" is one of many iconic quotes from Goldfinger. So will go with that.

Can I have a "before the kill" quip...?

Last Rat Standing, from Skyfall.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    GF
    No one delivered this type of quips quite like Connery. I also love his “Bon appétit” from YOLT.
  • I'll give a nod to the first of the lot, "Sergeant, see that he doesn't get away," from DN. Establishing the trend is such an under-appreciated skill...
  • Tough choice! I'll go for "I think he got the point" from TB
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2020 Posts: 7,948
    Benny wrote: »
    As others have said, Plenty O'Toole. Not only is she a gold digger without any redeeming features. But her character is completely pointless. Turning up dead in Tiffany's pool is always confusing unless one is privy to the deleted scenes from DAF.

Without redeeming features? I think it's those features that make her golddigging actually make sense..
    mtm wrote: »
    Does Plenty move the story forward?

Not the story per sé.

And noow for the vote:

It's a very, very difficult choice. The top two in my mind are 'shocking, positively shocking', and 'I think he got the point', both for their every day use possibilities. I think I'll go for the latter, as it fits the moment and Bond says it inquite a harsh way, in a way he definately meant it.
    I have a soft spot for "she should have kept her mouth shot. Saving me the trouble of choosing between the other nominees, I'll vote for that one.

"What a helpful chap" and "all those feathers and he still can't fly" are other good ones.
    I am kicking myself for not thinking of the quip after Sandor's death. Good call @jobo

Your write in nominee is a good one too! I love that whole sequence with Kerim deciding to do the deed.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I absolutely love Connery's performance of she's just dead. The sweat on his face and look of relief when he gets away is great. It actually made me laugh out loud.
    Have to go with Connery in GF
    "Shocking,...positively shocking!" Beautifully delivered.
    DN’s don’t let him get away.

Regarding before-the-kill quips, I have a soft spot for Bond’s “bottoms up” just before he blows up an entire building in the Spectre PTS
    "She's just dead." Always gets me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,254
    I love all of them, but nothing is cooler than Connery, on the beach, sunglasses, breaking the heart of Domino with the news of her brother, and then spinning around to harpoon Vargas-- I think he got the point is the winner
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "I think he got the point." Can't be bettered.
    I didn't like the Brosnan era thing of 'a quip before killing'.
    "She's waiting for you" with Reynard, "Give the public what they want" (or whatever the Carver death quip was), or even "for me" in GE. Oh yea, there was "time to face gravity" or something in DAD. It's like there was a blueprint to follow for the screenwriters where they had to give a little taunt to the main villain before they were ;dispatched'.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    peter wrote: »
    I love all of them, but nothing is cooler than Connery, on the beach, sunglasses, breaking the heart of Domino with the news of her brother, and then spinning around to harpoon Vargas-- I think he got the point is the winner

He does toss out the line in a beautiful casual manner, doesn't he?

Roger does get some cracking lines, but I can't quite think of an Arnie* that he has to match Sean's best at the moment.

* the best way I can think of to describe a post-killing pun. Bond may have started the trend but Arnie refined it into an uber-cheesy art form and made it his own :)
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,904
    Some Roger ones that I can recall are:
    • "What a helpful chap." from TSWLM
    • "You missed Mister Bond" "Did I?" From MR
    • "He had no heads for heights" FYEO

Lazenby had a couple but I don't think they were delivered in the right manner:
    • "Merry Christmas...maybe I should have had you gift wrapped."
    • "He had a lot of guts"

Dalton had the one line which I always loved:
    • "Smile for the birdie you bastard!" LTK...admittedly before he attempts to kill Sanchez.

During Brosnan's time it became almost groaner territory and yes lots of taunts of those he was about to dispatch.
    • "I'm just a professional doing my job"...Gun shot "So am I." TND
    • "One last screw." TWINE was pretty good.

Craig really hasn't done much of this. The CR one at the start of the movie is clearly well done and that's why I put it in the nominees.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    thedove wrote: »
    Some Roger ones that I can recall are:
    • "What a helpful chap." from TSWLM
    • "You missed Mister Bond" "Did I?" From MR
    • "He had no heads for heights" FYEO

Weird, none of them are quite as good as I imagine Roger's lines being.
    Lazenby had a couple but I don't think they were delivered in the right manner:
    • "Merry Christmas...maybe I should have had you gift wrapped."
    • "He had a lot of guts"

That's a weird one, isn't it! :) I was thinking that the other night when it was on telly. Your girlfriend -fiancee- is with you, helping you escape from baddies, a guy gets horrifically eviscerated in front your eyes and you make a disgusting joke about it? She's not a secret agent like you James you psychopath: she's never seen someone get killed before! :D
    Dalton had the one line which I always loved:
    • Smile for the birdie you bastard!"

#StopGettingBondWrong! :D It's 'Watch' ;)
    Thanks @mtm I always appreciate feedback. I like smile better! LOL! :)

Yes the lots of guts line is a bit of a weird one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks @mtm I always appreciate feedback. I like smile better! LOL! :)

Heh! Yeah it would be fine if it were to Felix or someone, but to say it to Tracy is massively insensitive and makes him seem like a casual murderer! :D
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Best post kill quip?
    There are so many to choose from, this question could have made for an excellent Elimination Game.

Given the choices at hand, however, I’ll go with “Shocking, positively shocking”, since it sets the tone for GF right from the start. And of course, Connery’s delivery is flawless.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,608
    DN

"They'll print anything these days" is quite a smart line as well.
    The OHMSS guts line was always cut along with the scene where the guy actually falls into it and the red snow when it was shown in the U.S. during the ABC broadcasts. But they showed when Draco knocks Tracy out at Piz Gloria.

They cut a lot of suggestive lines of course, but the weirdest was Bond's "Wait till you get to my teeth" after Domino says "What sharp little eyes you've got" in TB. Was that offensive?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Wot no Rog? Disgraceful, as I type the DRP are penning a strongly worded letter of complaint to the committee and refuse to pick one of the selections. We demand that our vote for ‘What a helpful chap’ be accepted without question.

It's gallows humor. For the audience it relieves tension after a gruesome scene. For Bond and Tracy it signifies relief that one of the people sent to kill them got what he deserved.