NTTD & Corona

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thanks, fellas. I'm merely trying to "correct" some opinions here. ;-)

11473524.jpg
    @DarthDimi Great thank for starting this thread yes No time to die will keep delaying I mean the Cinema release. We all know the filming has been done. Well It should be all done & over last year 2019. Daniel Craig would had been retired from James Bond 007 role already. Bond 26 will likely few away. I understand the Corona Virus just cause this latest James Bond movie other movies as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Barcelona’s movie theaters re-close amid COVID-19 second wave.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/barcelona-movie-theaters-re-close-covid19-1234710456/
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    Coronavirus vaccine: Oxford team aim to start lab-controlled human trials

"AstraZeneca has agreed to supply 100m doses of the Oxford vaccine to Britain, with manufacturing plans already begun and delivery scheduled for September or October."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-team-volunteers-lab-controlled-human-challenge-trial

All of this might be over by the end of the year. NTTD in February/March?
    The_Return wrote: »

"AstraZeneca has agreed to supply 100m doses of the Oxford vaccine to Britain, with manufacturing plans already begun and delivery scheduled for September or October."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-vaccine-oxford-team-volunteers-lab-controlled-human-challenge-trial

Let's hope so. I really wish it would be over in another six months. I doubt it, but I try to remain as optimistic as possible. :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-vaccine-end-year-uk-doses-084838946.html

Am always careful when posting here, as it's a delicate thread. But this piece of news keeps popping up. And there seem to be a genuineness about it. So it might be an inkling that NTTD is an early or mid-2021 film.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I would say mid 2021, EON might wait and see thing's first.
    @GadgetMan
    I think it's good to post such information, really, I do. We need sparks of good news, bits of hope, rays of sunshine. So even if one hopeful bit of news turns out a dead end soon, another one is bound to work. :) Don't hold back, friend.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @GadgetMan
    I think it's good to post such information, really, I do. We need sparks of good news, bits of hope, rays of sunshine. So even if one hopeful bit of news turns out a dead end soon, another one is bound to work. :) Don't hold back, friend.

True, @DarthDimi. Thanks. There's no news, like good news :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Global exhibitors bemoan ‘forgotten’ overseas box office.

One source in close contact with the studios tells Variety that if Warner Bros. and Disney were facing a scenario in which Europe and Asia open first with “Tenet” and “Mulan” followed by the U.S. a couple of weeks later, “they’d do it every day of the week.” “The problem is they don’t know when the U.S. market is going to open up, and they’re not comfortable going longer than two weeks due to piracy.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-global-box-office-international-exhibitors-forgotten-1234710870/
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think it's a possibility at the moment, but I have a slim glimmer of hope that it might be a viable scenario by the time November comes around...

A very slim glimmer.

Let's hope so. I really wish it would be over in another six months. I doubt it, but I try to remain as optimistic as possible. :)

It's not so much the current pandemic that worries me, it's the next one. If new viruses outbreaks become more frequent on a global scale, NTTD might be the last Bond film we can see in cinemas. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I do think the way we live and the way we are entertained could radically change in the future.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,686
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    :((
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    Warner wanted to save at least the international exhibitors. Nolan said no. He ain't a very bright guy.

EDIT: Sorry I commented without reading the full article. It seems they WILL release it in certain countries before the US. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”
    Global exhibitors bemoan ‘forgotten’ overseas box office.

One source in close contact with the studios tells Variety that if Warner Bros. and Disney were facing a scenario in which Europe and Asia open first with “Tenet” and “Mulan” followed by the U.S. a couple of weeks later, “they’d do it every day of the week.” “The problem is they don’t know when the U.S. market is going to open up, and they’re not comfortable going longer than two weeks due to piracy.

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-global-box-office-international-exhibitors-forgotten-1234710870/

• EDIT: Sorry I commented without reading the full article. It seems they WILL release it in certain countries before the US. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”
    Good. That sounds like the most sensible plan given the situation.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    EDIT: Sorry I commented without reading the full article. It seems they WILL release it in certain countries before the US. “We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that.”
    Good. That sounds like the most sensible plan given the situation.

The only thing about it is that it leaves us with little to no idea of when that release could be. It could be next Summer.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    While Hollywood is certainly a very different beast from what it was in 1918, it's still interesting to read of how things were handled back then.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-1918-flu-halted-hollywood-1286640
  • The only thing about it is that it leaves us with little to no idea of when that release could be. It could be next Summer.
    True, but who knows? It might be sometime in the Spring if we're lucky.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Earlier on 17 Juli 2020 i at.
    Middle option can be to release the movie where it can in December and play it for 4 months and take more time till for wide BD release in August 2021.

On this moment only the same three days before the delay stands op cinema website with the in my eyes very frustated 3D/4D options and both two 2D options are sold out. Earlier in tv comment there say there say there try everrthing to give movie cardblanch (in my opnion that mean all 6 screens showing the movie in 2D.) and there happy if the movie be released in December. 196 minutes (include 15 minutes to check in, 18 minutes of cinema comercials) is not easy to shudule, but more earlier evening opnions have been nice. More 18.30 - 19.30. 19.30 mean people walkout around 22.45-22.50.

There should not vergot that both SF and Spectre ger 2 millions views and that moost people like to see NTTD. On this moment earlier December, January and February movies play in the cinema whyle some of them released 3-4 weaks a go on BD & DVD (My Spy, 1917) and last weak there starting with in first look like canceld movies like Scoody Doo. Pirates Down the Street (kids movie) only did 225.000 with 126 screens. Second weak i don't see on boxoffice site, but of cinema's are now open for a 5-6 weaks (with last two weaks the weather is les) and searching for movies to show, you only can buy tickets online and get people to cinema. Promotion already be difficult and now even more and next weak the weather will be better.

Before Lion King (2019) last year, Spectre was last movie i have seen in the cinema. I am not big cinema visiter. Already before March 2020 it look like i going to the movie without somebody ele's. With CR i was very nervious (It was also on the edge missing the movie.) and SF i was not very happy with late screentime of the movie 22.15 that be one of reasens i watched Spectre in another city. So i enjoyd QOS moost followd by Spectre.
    How are theatres going to survive through to next summer without any new releases?
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's not so much the current pandemic that worries me, it's the next one. If new viruses outbreaks become more frequent on a global scale, NTTD might be the last Bond film we can see in cinemas. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I do think the way we live and the way we are entertained could radically change in the future.

It’s bound to be in their minds when they make the next Bond.
    UK cinema chains expected to delay re-openings if ‘Tenet’ shifts again.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/uk-exhibitors-expected-delay-reopenings-tenet-shifts-again-1202990751/
    There was a very pessimistic interview with a scientist on Radio 4 as I was heading home after work today. She was saying that we won’t get back to anything even remotely like normal for at least three years, even if a vaccine is found, and possibly never.

Essentially she’s saying that we will have masks, social distancing, local lockdowns etc until 2023, and possibly forever.

They cannot sit on NTTD forever, they will have to release it sometime, surely no matter how many cinemas are shut.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There was a very pessimistic interview with a scientist on Radio 4 as I was heading home after work today. She was saying that we won’t get back to anything even remotely like normal for at least three years, even if a vaccine is found, and possibly never.

Essentially she’s saying that we will have masks, social distancing, local lockdowns etc until 2023, and possibly forever.

Insane talk.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    vzok wrote: »
    How are theatres going to survive through to next summer without any new releases?

@vzok. That is a good question.

This morning I received an e-mail from “Atom Tickets” (US) asking movie goers to lobby their congressional representatives in support of “The RESTART ACT.” The #SaveYourCinema twitter hashtag directs one to a https://saveyourcinema.com/ page which contains the following plea (in part):
    I urge you to save theaters by supporting the RESTART Act (S. 3814/H.R. 7481), which will give movie theaters access to partially forgivable seven-year loans covering six months of expenses, a lifeline for theaters that have been left behind by existing loan programs. I also urge you to press Treasury and the Federal Reserve to implement more relief programs under the CARES Act that help businesses of all sizes.

Movie theaters are integral to the social, cultural, and economic life of our communities. In addition to being community gathering places, theaters employ so many vulnerable individuals underrepresented in the workforce, including young people and people with disabilities. We cannot afford to lose our precious cinemas. I urge you to support these measures and help save movie theaters.

Here in the US, there has been a spattering of “drive-in” theaters that have met with good success and sold-out crowds. But of course, those theaters are limited to showing older movies (“Back to the Future”, “Clueless”, etc..) and if you don’t have a car…well you are out of luck. In New York, several smaller venues are also trying to survive by screening “indie” films on line – often in concert with on-line chat room participation by cast members.

In some cities (but not New York), smaller niche theaters have been permitted to re-open but at only 25%-30% capacity. For example, at Chicago’s MusicBox just completed 70mm screenings of “2OO1” and a now showing “Interstellar.” But again, these are limited runs, which while may bring in some revenue and maintain customer loyalty are not probably not going to be a long run solution.
  • Right now no vaccine has undergone phase 3 testing where thousands of people participate to test safety and effectiveness. 90% of vaccines that pass phase one fail to pass phase 3. Happy clapping by politicians and some scientists doesn't mask the fact that nobody knows how effective in long term vaccines will be. Stimulating an immune response is only part of the problem. To talk about being back to normality by Christmas is sheer nonsense. Social distancing isn't going anywhere. Safe effective vaccines are far from certain. Even if one is discovered, manufacture and distribution is far from being an overnight process.

No Time To Die isn't going to be given the go ahead until UA/Universal are sure they aren't going to waste millions more of cash in marketing.

My guess is still for Summer 2021
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

They cannot sit on NTTD forever, they will have to release it sometime, surely no matter how many cinemas are shut.

There may be some truth to this. I watched a documentary recently that featured interviews with survivors of the 1918 pandemic and one person essentially said that because of how brutal the virus was that even after the pandemic was taken care of, people still didn’t feel comfortable going out and congregating at least until 1922.

People often say that this is unprecedented, but we have gone through this before.