Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

California pulls back on reopening plans. So do Texas and Florida amidst several states breaking daily infections records for 3 days in a row.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/corona-shutdowns-california-florida-texas-1202971755/

@antovolk What is the likeliest release date for Tenet, now that August looks extremely unlikely?

I think they honestly just keep pushing it incrementally like they've been doing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »
    California pulls back on reopening plans. So do Texas and Florida amidst several states breaking daily infections records for 3 days in a row.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/corona-shutdowns-california-florida-texas-1202971755/

@antovolk What is the likeliest release date for Tenet, now that August looks extremely unlikely?

I think they honestly just keep pushing it incrementally like they've been doing.

I do wonder if public opinion will turn from frustrated to negative if they keep pushing it every couple of weeks instead of just trying to find a date further down the line. The constant release date changes will already have people confused.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

But surely there is a glass ceiling to this approach?

The incremental two-weeks push made sense during July (which is now off the table), and could prove effective in August and moving into September. This was a time when Tenet and Mulan were the only big films on the calendar. But it's loosing ground, even with that mid-August date (which won't stick).

In which case, Tenet runs out of space on the calendar and starts to encounter its peers. Soon enough, not only will it be jarring against other big films (such as Bond, Black Widow, Soul). But it'll start to get in the way of other Warner Bros movies, like Wonder Woman 1984, which means everything gets moved again. Leading to a knock-on effect on Warner's 2021 slate with Dune and others forced to move. (I'm not even factoring in that Warner and other studios have very few films ready for 2021!)

So basically, the two-weeks at a time approach will run out of ground going into September. Sooner or later, we have to confront that if Tenet releases this year (and it's a big 'if') it'll take the October date for WW84 or it'll go to Dune's Xmas date.....
    Don't know why they don't release this summer, its probably the best option considering Tenet will be the only game in town. They can fill out every screen and make sure people are seated correctly apart.

50 blockbuster movies all opening in summer 2021 won't be good for anyone.

This was the plan.

However, the USA spike in cases over the last week has kiboshed it. Without the domestic box-office (let alone no theatres open in major movie-going cities of New York and La), you aren't getting four-quadrant blockbusters from any stuidos.

I do wonder if public opinion will turn from frustrated to negative if they keep pushing it every couple of weeks instead of just trying to find a date further down the line. The constant release date changes will already have people confused.

Less confusion and more malaise.

Soon enough people will ignore the date changes and know that it's a ridiculous game of chicken that the studios are needlessly playing with themselves. Cinemas are not open. Cases in the USA are spiking. Dating a film for cinema release is just odd. I have a feeling the re-dating is done to assuage the fears of Wall Street and investors. No one wants their stock price to tank.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,075
    Don't know why they don't release this summer, its probably the best option considering Tenet will be the only game in town. They can fill out every screen and make sure people are seated correctly apart.

50 blockbuster movies all opening in summer 2021 won't be good for anyone. Even avid cinemagoers won't be able to see everything. Especially if economy is on the floor by then.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @CraigMooreOHMSS That's true, but on the other hand it's hard to blame them for such strategy. It's perfectly admirable that Nolan and WB want to be the first big-budget film to release, but the main problem is no one has even the slightest clue as to when cinemas will reopen in the USA. Especially with how dramatic the situation is evolving at the moment. These are truly unprecedented time and IMO there is no 100% perfect strategy to cope with this.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS That's true, but on the other hand it's hard to blame them for such strategy. It's perfectly admirable that Nolan and WB want to be the first big-budget film to release, but the main problem is no one has even the slightest clue as to when cinemas will reopen in the USA. Especially with how dramatic the situation is evolving at the moment. These are truly unprecedented time and IMO there is no 100% perfect strategy to cope with this.

Yes, that's true; there's simply no winning with it at the moment, irrespective of the true intentions behind releasing the film this Summer. I don't envy anyone making these decisions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It is a strange one though, Nolan isn't exactly a crowd pleaser - his films, outside of Batman, have done solid if unremarkable numbers in a time where films making a billion is no big deal. That they want him to be the saviour of cinemas this Summer is a fascinating ideal.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

50 blockbuster movies all opening in summer 2021 won't be good for anyone. Even avid cinemagoers won't be able to see everything. Especially if economy is on the floor by then.

They can only release it in theaters if they actually open. Hard to stick to a summer plan when no theaters are opening.

They can only release it in theaters if they actually open. Hard to stick to a summer plan when no theaters are opening.

My impression was that it was Warner changing the release date, not the politicians. If they can't open in New York at the same time, so be it, but its madness to delay a global release date for the sake of a single city. Plus Tenet, like all Nolan movies, is made for the big screen, and thats how people are gonna want to see it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    My impression was that it was Warner changing the release date, not the politicians.

There are several links posted in the past few pages that shows Tenet is geting delayed because reopening plans are being stopped/slowed down because the pandemic is getting worse in the US..
    If they can't open in New York at the same time, so be it, but its madness to delay a global release date for the sake of a single city.

Again, it's not a single city, it's an entire country. The USA, the single most important market for WB and Tenet.
    Tenet, like all Nolan movies, is made for the big screen, and thats how people are gonna want to see it.

Have you heard there is an ongoing global pandemic? If you want Tenet on the big screen, wait until summer 2021.

Your post gives the feeling you want Nolan's film to flop.
    Wanting the film to flop would be releasing alongside 50 other blockbusters in the summer of 2021. That doesn't make sense to me when theatres are opening THIS SUMMER and nothing big is scheduled to be released. Tenet will have free rein, and it means that they can space people out correctly, and actually do something to help out the chains who are losing money everyday thst things remain closed. If Tenet doesn't, then someone absolutely should take that spot. Because it doesn't make any sense that theatres will be open with nothing of any note playing in them, yet an entire years worth of movies are set to be crammed into the space of a few months next year.
    Again, Tenet can’t have much free rein if only a few theaters are open.
    Wanting the film to flop would be releasing alongside 50 other blockbusters in the summer of 2021. That doesn't make sense to me when theatres are opening THIS SUMMER and nothing big is scheduled to be released.

Can you please stop posting lies? The US cinema chains are not opening.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is how delusional you are.

New York delay cinema reopening.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-postpones-reopenings-of-malls-movie-theaters-and-gyms-11593033187

California delay reopening.

Movie theater reopening plans face new uncertainty amid Covid-19 case rise
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-stocks-hit-covid-19-case-rise-reopening-uncertainty-1300581[/b]

Also, to further prove you only post lies:

Big budget films currently releasing from June 2021 to August 2021: Venom 2, Jurassic World 3, Uncharted, Jungle Cruise, The Tomorrow War, The Suicide Squad.

That is 6, not 50.

From now on @Mendes4Lyfe I'll be flagging every post you make that is clearly nothing but lies and misinformation. I've had enough trying to have a discussion on these threads when you (and certain other members) aren't adding anything to the topic.

Your delusions are getting scary. You really think releasing a 200 million budget film when the US box office is closed, the Chinese box office is closed, and most European & Asian markets are barely 15% of what they were a year ago is a good idea?
    tumblr_mhl5w9Bcec1qmbag6o4_500.gif
    A lot of countries that have opened up theatres don't seem to be pulling in a whole lot of cash. Granted, they're screening library titles as well as films that were released this year pre-Covid, but still, nobody wants to go to a theatre. When you consider the above notion that Nolan films (despite him having a die hard fanbase) outside of his Batman films generally don't bring in the masses, I'm sure WB are doing the right thing by not just releasing it for the sake of it. I'm not convinced that theatres in the big markets are going to stay open for very long when they do open, if things go the way they look to be going.
    When all is said is done, it won't be the big cinema chains or big budget films that will be on life support if everything stays closed until 2021. The real devastation will be for smaller, local cinemas, indie films & small to mid-budget films. I think a lot of Oscar winners going forward will be Direct-to-Streaming films (Hulu, Amazon, Netlix). It will become harder to justify the wide-release of non action/CGI heavy/franchise films. Post-pandemic I don't think we will be getting as many films like Boyhood, American Made, The Imitation Game or Green Book getting wide releases. Unless if said film has a major A-List actor/director attached. And even then, the new Tom Hanks film Greyhound has been dumped straight to VOD.

Tenet, Bond, Black Widow, Wonder Woman will all be fine if they get delayed to 2021.

Christ...this man is doing himself zero favours recently. First he forces cinemas to re-open in a dangerous pandemic starting a chain reaction of Hollywood studios ignoring a spike in new cases. Now it's emerged that he doesn't let people sit down on his set?!?!?

I mean he's a genius, but really?! Christopher Nolan is a walking HR nightmare.

I mean I'm a total hypocrite, as I'm seeing Tenet opening day. But let's be real, it's 'opening day' isn't August 12, it's gonna be 2021.

In other news, there is a gorgeous new Tenet TV spot with glorious new footage!!! Looks undeniably beautiful and someone on Twitter has pointed out a possible (and if so, very sly) Hitchcock reference.

EbrqHyFXgAAiJkR?format=jpg&name=large
    Univex wrote: »
    Makes no sense why they didn't release on July 17th as planned, after sticking to that date for so long. If people are piling onto beaches with no measures in place, and sporting events are taking place across the globe, having one movie playing in cinemas, using every available screen and seating appropriately distanced would've been easily managable.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Exactly. Common sense. Well, it should be common. But it sure makes sense.

We'll have to adapt the structures that can be adapted. And I reckon the performative art and cinema industry will have much adapting to do over the coming years. I'm a huge cinema lover and goer, but I'll probably won't set a foot in one for the next two years. Well, lucky for me, the cinema here is usually empty during matinee hours, so I'll probably go see NTTD whenever. In and out, fast as it goes, mask on and all that. Best thing would be the industry re imagining itself for pandemic times, making use of streaming services and (non existing) economical help plans meant for the arts. Alas, all I'm seeing is dumb people do dumb things, and saying even dumber things. The not so common sense is not prevailing, unfortunately.

My hometown's annual music festival made the most out of the current situation. Restrictions over here allows an audience of around 200 (if I remember correctly), and instead of cancelling the festival altogether, they invited some of the scheduled artists to perform scaled-back concerts, with the concerts filmed and streamed online for a larger audience.

Edit: Only now realised I was on the Tenet thread; a film I have no interest in. Sorry!

giphy.gif

eh eh, I feel the same, and I'm somewhat of a Nolan fan.

Really? The way I know Nolan fans, they seem to just adore everything he does without exception.

Nop, not me. I don't adore anything without exception, ever. That would be believing in the absolute, which is a fallacy; only dumb people believe in absolutes ;)

That being said, I'm afraid nothing about TENET ticks my box. So far, anyway, nothing of what I've seen seems remotely interesting. Even the color grading seems another desaturated depressive show from Hoytema. The cast doesn't exactly excite me. And the story seems slightly interesting but, frankly, not that much.
    I think the problem is that the hook itself seems to just be “hey look, we reversed the footage!”
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,270
    Makes no sense why they didn't release on July 17th as planned, after sticking to that date for so long. If people are piling onto beaches with no measures in place, and sporting events are taking place across the globe, having one movie playing in cinemas, using every available screen and seating appropriately distanced would've been easily managable.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Exactly. Common sense. Well, it should be common. But it sure makes sense.

We'll have to adapt the structures that can be adapted. And I reckon the performative art and cinema industry will have much adapting to do over the coming years. I'm a huge cinema lover and goer, but I'll probably won't set a foot in one for the next two years. Well, lucky for me, the cinema here is usually empty during matinee hours, so I'll probably go see NTTD whenever. In and out, fast as it goes, mask on and all that. Best thing would be the industry re imagining itself for pandemic times, making use of streaming services and (non existing) economical help plans meant for the arts. Alas, all I'm seeing is dumb people do dumb things, and saying even dumber things. The not so common sense is not prevailing, unfortunately.

My hometown's annual music festival made the most out of the current situation. Restrictions over here allows an audience of around 200 (if I remember correctly), and instead of cancelling the festival altogether, they invited some of the scheduled artists to perform scaled-back concerts, with the concerts filmed and streamed online for a larger audience.

Edit: Only now realised I was on the Tenet thread; a film I have no interest in. Sorry!

giphy.gif

eh eh, I feel the same, and I'm somewhat of a Nolan fan.

Really? The way I know Nolan fans, they seem to just adore everything he does without exception.

Nop, not me. I don't adore anything without exception, ever. That would be believing in the absolute, which is a fallacy; only dumb people believe in absolutes ;)

That being said, I'm afraid nothing about TENET ticks my box. So far, anyway, nothing of what I've seen seems remotely interesting. Even the color grading seems another desaturated depressive show from Hoytema. The cast doesn't exactly excite me. And the story seems slightly interesting but, frankly, not that much.

You should meet some friends of mine, they're like that with Nolan :))

I kinda hoped Tenet would be a film of his that would get me excited (you're almost looked upon as a weirdo for not liking Nolan, I feel), but I'm afraid nothing I've seen makes me remotely interested either.

But this is a thread for those that are excited about this film, so I'm not going to spam this thread with my views on Nolan. :-)
    I am pretty sure the whole chair thing is a half-hearted joke that has been taken at face value. I can't imagine Michael Caine or Morgan Freeman going a whole day on set without sitting down at least once.
    Broadway shutdown extended until January due to COVID-19 pandemic; Broadway theaters are in the same Phase 4 reopening as movie theaters in NYC.

https://abc7ny.com/entertainment/broadway-shutdown-extended-until-january-due-to-coronavirus/6281022/

----

L.A. mayor hits '''hard pause'' on reopening amidst alarming rise in Covid-19 cases.

https://variety.com/2020/politics/news/gavin-newsom-halt-los-angeles-reopenings-rising-coronavirus-cases-1234693477/

----

Arizona orders bars, gyms and theaters to close again.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/06/29/arizona-coronavirus-update-from-governor-doug-ducey-june-29/3280626001/
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 440
    I think the problem is that the hook itself seems to just be “hey look, we reversed the footage!”

Exactly. I've liked a lot of Nolan's previous films and I'm sure this film will be good but I don't see what the hook for the general public is.

Inception, Dunkirk, and Interstellar's marketing campaigns were all able to sell not only the basic plot but also the unique visuals and stunts promised by each film. This just looks like a typical action film.

Yes, I'm sure there's more to it than that but if so, the marketing hasn't shown it yet and despite what Nolan thinks the fact that some sequences use a bit less* CGI than other blockbusters isn't that big of a selling point.

*His movies actually use quite a lot of CGI and are about on par with other non-comic book blockbusters like the Bond films. Most of his "practical" stunts are actually almost entirely retouched in post-production.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 5,767
    ignoring a spike in new cases.
    I haven´t been to these pages too much lately, so forgive me if my question seems a bit dumb: What is the definition of "cases" in this context? People in serious need of medical treatment, or people having mild or severe symptoms, or tests on SARS-CoV2 with a positive result?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Positive result.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I haven´t been to these pages too much lately, so forgive me if my question seems a bit dumb: What is the definition of "cases" in this context? People in serious need of medical treatment, or people having mild or severe symptoms, or tests on SARS-CoV2 with a positive result?

Tests with a positive result.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Tenet, Unhinged, Mulan, Broken Hearts Gallery are set to be delayed to September. The Conjuring 3 is set to abandon its September 11th release date.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/conjuring-3-eyes-2021-release-movie-theaters-box-office-coronavirus-1202974467/
    Positive result.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Tests with a positive result.
    I see, thanks. And are there any relations known between the number of tests and the number of positive results? Are all tests PCR?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Reporting of numbers focuses on new positives.

Context for numbers tested, demographics, high risk, asymptomatic, mild symptoms, hospitalized, those on ventilators, and related deaths are not normally forthcoming.

edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Reporting of numbers focuses on new positives.

Context for numbers tested, demographics, high risk, asymptomatic, mild symptoms, hospitalized, those on ventilators, and related deaths are not normally forthcoming.

The ratio between positive tests detected versus total tests performed is actually rising in several US states. This is one of the reasons why the situation in the US is on the verge of becoming a total disaster.