Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Soooo... which will be the evil twin in a future Bond film. I'd go with Q.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone championing the concept of a younger actor or an actor of colour are that beyond reason...

That’s cool. You don’t, but some do.

Well they'd be wrong.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,961
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Recently in a BOND EXPERIENCE/ JAMES BOND RADIO crossover podcast there was speculation of a sale post NTTD.

I personally think if Bond gets into the hands of different producers or studios, all casting rules are out the window.

All pre conceived notions of what James Bond 007 is or should be .....may be crossed off. In other words I think an A lister actor, or simply anyone currently popular will be cast as Bond regardless of Nationality, ethnicity or age.

Therefore Bond actually could be played by Idris Elba, Michael B Jordan, Chris Pine, Tom Hanks, Leonardo di Caprio, Matthew McConaughey, Brad Pitt or George Clooney.

I also think that actor would probably be embraced as Bond the way Ben Affleck was embraced as Batman.

Are you saying Eon may sell? If that’s the case all bets are off as you say.

If a studio like Disney got Bond, the franchise is over for me.

JBR and The Bond Experience were speculating that Eon may sell after NTTD.

I really do think if Disney or someone else got Bond, it would end up far more generic than what Eon produced with less care given to casting.

I think back to when Nicholas Cage was cast as Superman (even though he never got to play the part), Ben Affleck as Batman and Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes. Those guys were current popular actors at the times of their casting. Their suitability for their respective roles was debated, and yet also embraced.

Would we embrace, say, Matthew McConaughey as Bond if hypothetically Disney decided to cast him?

Won't matter that he's in his 50's. Bond gets older.............they stay the same age.

Yes they do.

I agree with you.

If the above happens, I’ll be out.

Downey JR as Sherlock Holmes was laughable.

His Holmes films were reasonably popular, though. When I think of Sherlock, Jeremy Brett, Benedict Cumberbatch and Basil Rathbone come to mind.

Yeah I thought they were a lot of fun, and it's a pretty reasonable angle on Holmes to go all out on the action hero version of him. There are loads of adaptations already so I enjoyed seeing a new take.
    I don’t think that’s gonna happen. It’ll remain a family led franchise, and should, as they’ll treat it with the most respect.

I do hope so. Barbara and Michael are extremely protective of Bond. I don't think Disney would TBH.

I don't think there's any guarantee that just because another studio gets it it will automatically be terrible. Mission Impossible and Jason Bourne weren't run by people related to each other but they both produced fantastic movies.
    I haven't heard the reasoning behind thinking that Eon would sell any time soon but I find it fairly hard to buy: Broccoli has only just turned 60: she has plenty of years left in her yet.
    My top 5 for screencast
    1.) Aidan Turner
    2.) Tom Cullen
    3.) Jack Huston
    4.) Nicolous Holt
    5.) Henry Cavill
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mine are:
    1. Scott Adkins
    2. Luke Evans
    3. Aidan Turner
    4. Henry Cavill
    5. Nicholas Hoult
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    I don’t think anyone championing the concept of a younger actor or an actor of colour are that beyond reason...

I mean there’s changing the colour of his skin, and then there’s comparing it to changing his entire career... it’s not the same.

Also @suavejmf the younger Bond thing should be clarified. Most of us are happy for them to go for someone in their 30s. Very few of us want anyone in their 20s - if anyone.

I wouldn’t want to change his race either, because to me that is changing the character. But that is what it is, neither of us are going to be changing each other’s mind here.

That Chamelet actor who keeps getting posted on here looks about 19. I was responding to that really....but we’re on the same page there anyhow.

As was repeatedly made clear, Chamelet was suggested as a future Bond actor, not as a replacement for Daniel Craig.

Ah right, I see. No matter. I disagree anyhow, no matter his age.......he’s little and American.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    mtm wrote: »

Well they'd be wrong.

Well that’s not a fact. I disagree.

Move on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well they'd be wrong.

Well that’s not a fact. I disagree.

Move on.

You can disagree, but you’d be wrong. And I also don’t think that calling anyone ‘beyond reason’ just because you disagree with them fits with being ‘polite and respectful’.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Okay, here's a question: how good an indicator is a Bond candidate's upcoming film list as to whether he has a shot at the role. I mean, would an actor leave himself free of long-term commitments if he felt he might get the part? Or would Eon simply work around the fact that their chosen guy has signed up for a TV series or film trilogy?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Okay, here's a question: how good an indicator is a Bond candidate's upcoming film list as to whether he has a shot at the role. I mean, would an actor leave himself free of long-term commitments if he felt he might get the part? Or would Eon simply work around the fact that their chosen guy has signed up for a TV series or film trilogy?

I think you'd have to be very ballsy to do that. I'm not sure there are many actors, or their agents(!), who would turn down guaranteed work in the hope of another job possibly coming up. Do you mean turning down another high profile role like Batman or something?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    My pick is Aidan Turner and I'll leave it at that. I just don't really see someone else who comes close. Alas. Carry on gents.
    Not something like Batman, which is of comparable prestige, but a role in a Hunger Games-esque trilogy, say, or supporting role in the Mission:Impossible films perhaps. Not turning down a lead in Star Wars or a Marvel starring role.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the biggest missed opportunity of the franchise was not getting Hugh Jackman.
    He can be as charming and light as Moore and as physical and intense as Craig; not many actors can pull that off.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's a good question; one that doesn't necessarily have a straight answer. I don't know how long there generally is between a Bond screen test and the actor actually getting the part, but assuming it was at least three to six months, it would likely not be reflected in any announced projects. As @mtm alluded to, actors still have to make a living and they're not likely to turn down guaranteed gigs for that length of time - and I'm sure EON, being the professionals they are, would understand that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not something like Batman, which is of comparable prestige, but a role in a Hunger Games-esque trilogy, say, or supporting role in the Mission:Impossible films perhaps. Not turning down a lead in Star Wars or a Marvel starring role.

Ah cool. Well it's tricky to say: I guess Craig did sign up for Golden Compass while he was still Bond and that theoretically should have been a trilogy, so I guess they're willing to work around scheduling just as long as it isn't, as you say, a role of comparable prestige.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the biggest missed opportunity of the franchise was not getting Hugh Jackman.
    He can be as charming and light as Moore and as physical and intense as Craig; not many actors can pull that off.

Might have been great for sure, but certainly too late now?
    Yes, too late now.
    Yes, too late now.

He's a great Wolverine, so I guess the question would be, would we have wanted Jackman as Bond and not Wolverine?

I don't care as much about the X-Men franchise, but he was great there for sure. Especially in Logan. Would have lost that had he been Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yep, hard to disagree with: he'd have been great, he's an excellent lead actor and star. But then I guess we only really found that out because he became Wolverine, and that role might have been enough to put Eon off him: I get the feeling they don't seem to like to share their lead actor with other big, iconic movie roles.
    But funnily enough, considering they're in the same superhero series, I think they would have accepted Fassbender had the timing been right. I guess his Magneto was just never quite as impactful.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,980
    Yes, too late now.

He's a great Wolverine, so I guess the question would be, would we have wanted Jackman as Bond and not Wolverine?

I don't care as much about the X-Men franchise, but he was great there for sure. Especially in Logan. Would have lost that had he been Bond.

Ford as Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Jack Ryan.

Jackman as James Bond, Wolverine, no problem. ;)

Yep, hard to disagree with: he'd have been great, he's an excellent lead actor and star. But then I guess we only really found that out because he became Wolverine, and that role might have been enough to put Eon off him: I get the feeling they don't seem to like to share their lead actor with other big, iconic movie roles.
    But funnily enough, considering they're in the same superhero series, I think they would have accepted Fassbender had the timing been right. I guess his Magneto was just never quite as impactful.

I think one of the things that would be a problem for Eon would be risk of injury. The more stunts an actor has to perform, the greater the chance that he/she might be put out-of-commission for a while. Daniel Craig didn't have to do much at all in The Golden Compass. I wonder whether there are restrictions on the type of role a Bond-lead can take? I'd say it would be likely, but then Cowboys and Aliens was pretty physical, with presumably some risk in there, so perhaps not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, too late now.

And Van Helsing, don't forget. What a role :)
    Yes, too late now.

And Van Helsing, don't forget. What a role :)

His Cowboys vs Aliens 😉
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Another franchise Daniel Craig committed to was the role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Though no one could have known they wouldn't keep going.

Or that Craig would have so much time between Bond films to be available.
    A bit off topic, but I’m watching CR, damn, Bond should have made a little time for the receptionist at The Ocean Club .

Carry on...

I thought do too. And the receptionist in QOS too, at the Port au Prince hotel.

On a side note, I started watching McMafia and while I'm finding it entertaining I can't say I see Norton as Bond potential. For Bond girls and villains, however, there's a lot of interesting actors there.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Yes, Jackman would have been brilliant. Very talented actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another franchise Daniel Craig committed to was the role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Though no one could have known they wouldn't keep going.

Oh yes I forgot about that one. Such a shame they didn't do more: I really liked the style of that and it suited him really well.

I think one of the things that would be a problem for Eon would be risk of injury. The more stunts an actor has to perform, the greater the chance that he/she might be put out-of-commission for a while. Daniel Craig didn't have to do much at all in The Golden Compass. I wonder whether there are restrictions on the type of role a Bond-lead can take? I'd say it would be likely, but then Cowboys and Aliens was pretty physical, with presumably some risk in there, so perhaps not.

It's an interesting thought. There may well be something like that in their contract, yeah, who knows.
    But then again, we know that DC didn't even have a 'no moustache' clause in their Superman contract with Cavill, so maybe not! :D
    Yes, too late now.

Fair enough, but it's obviously a problem for EON. A one off here and there is fine, but two franchises is one too many.
    Yes, too late now.

Fair enough, but it's obviously a problem for EON. A one off here and there is fine, but two franchises is one too many.
    Possibly.
    I wonder what EON’s restrictions, or
    “ suggestions “ are for theirs leads when it comes to other franchises?
    I would think that as long as it isn’t a spy film they’re ok with it.What if The Golden Compass ., Cowboys vs Aliens or the Spider series had taken off?

Yes, too late now.

Possibly.
    I wonder what EON’s restrictions, or
    “ suggestions “ are for theirs leads when it comes to other franchises?
    I would think that as long as it isn’t a spy film they’re ok with it.What if The Golden Compass ., Cowboys vs Aliens or the Spider series had taken off?
    True... I suppose as long as he's Bond first, they don't mind. They just want the general public to see James Bond when they see whatever actor is currently in the role, and not any other character.