Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    My controversial opinion.....the Villains in Licence to Kill could be deemed the best in the entire series.

They are definetly up there.Sanchez for all his cruelty,i actually found kind of likeable in a way.How many Bond villains cared more about loyalty than money? Ok so he was posessive about Lupe but if you worked hard and were loyal to him,i get the impression that he was a good employer.

Yep. He was one of the only villains who let the “Killifer” character leave with the money.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I do like that Sanchez's morals, specifically regarding loyalty, was really his ultimate downfall.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    He still looks great; they should give him some facial scarring, say he somehow survived the explosion in LTK, and bring him back as a villain again. ;P
    They could even bring Dalton back for it, who I know some people want to be Bond again... maybe for a short film:
    Timothy Dalton is Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in... "Plomo o Plata"
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    My controversial opinion.....the Villains in Licence to Kill could be deemed the best in the entire series.

They are definetly up there.Sanchez for all his cruelty,i actually found kind of likeable in a way.How many Bond villains cared more about loyalty than money? Ok so he was posessive about Lupe but if you worked hard and were loyal to him,i get the impression that he was a good employer.

I agree with all that. Exactly.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Next controversial opinion, which I doubt many will agree with. The box office certainly doesn’t agree with me.

LTK is the best Bond film of the 80’s, in fact the best Bond film since LALD and far better than GE and the rest of the Brosnan era, until CR in 2006.

The reason I love it....Dalton is Fleming’s Bond, great cast, great villains, great score, darker tone, great action sequences, great Bond girls and sharks.
    Next controversial opinion, which I doubt many will agree with. The box office certainly doesn’t agree with me.

LTK is the best Bond film of the 80’s, in fact the best Bond film since LALD and far better than GE and the rest of the Brosnan era, until CR in 2006.

The reason I love it....Dalton is Fleming’s Bond, great cast, great villains, great score, darker tone, great action sequences, great Bond girls and sharks.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I know many people on this forum do as well.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »

I agree wholeheartedly. And I know many people on this forum do as well.

I agree too. Even though I like some of the Brosnan films nothing beats LTK.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    These days, the only Brosnan film I prefer to LTK is GE, so I don't think that is too controversial either, @suavejmf ;)
    These days, the only Brosnan film I prefer to LTK is GE, so I don't think that is too controversial either, @suavejmf ;)

I agree, but it is usually controversial to like LTK more than GE. ;)

Top 3 Bond movie for me!
    GE is bottom 3!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

True, I'll give you that one! Honestly, even then it's a close call for me so I totally understand someone going the opposite way! ;) They're both in my top 10!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

True, I'll give you that one! Honestly, even then it's a close call for me so I totally understand someone going the opposite way! ;) They're both in my top 10!

I prefer LTK to GE too.
    LTK is superior to GE in every way if you ask me.

If all the Bond villains, he is probably the best employer.

I've always loved LTK. Saw it 11 times in the cinema summer of '89. It's a great Bond movie. I even like Dalton's hair!. The sideburns remind me of Lazenby.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I've always loved LTK. Saw it 11 times in the cinema summer of '89. It's a great Bond movie. I even like Dalton's hair!. The sideburns remind me of Lazenby.

Wow! 11 times!! The lower box office certainly wasn’t your fault! I had to watch it on Sky. It was a 15 and I was too young, unfortunately.
    Ludovico wrote: »

If all the Bond villains, he is probably the best employer.

Ha ha ah! Just don’t mess with Lupe!!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LTK is the closest we will ever get to a sequel to OHMSS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t know how controversial this is around here, but Madonna said Die Another Day was one of her very best songs ever.
    I don t know how controversial this is around here, but Madonna said Die Another Day was one of her very best songs ever.

I have yet to hear a Madonna song I like, so it might well be true.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I like Madonna and I like that song. Then again, I like electronic music so no surprise there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,979
    I'm a Madonna fan.

While it's not my favorite, DAD at least tries something new with the title song, as opposed to the many attempts to copy Bassey.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I remember that scorcher of a Summer in '89!
    One of rhe cinemas, fearing a turn off in numbers because of the great weather, pushed their new Air conditioning with"Stay cool with Bond"
    Cant recall how many times i saw it, but there were packed showings for it each time!

I’d say that fairly controversial.

I prefer 80’s Madonna personally. I always felt DAD was written in 5 minutes on the back of a fag packet. Dance music is great...but it doesn’t have a place in a Bond film in my opinion.

The song is ok in isolation, but not as a Bond theme. Others may disagree.....
    Count me in for LTK over any Brosnan era Bond. It was very different yet still felt very Bond to me back in 1989. Still count it as one of the best Bond films and that Dalton's era was unfinished business. I always cringe when I see people say Brosnan deserved a fifth film when Dalton got two less than he did.

DAD isn't one of the best Madonna songs for me. So many others are more catchy and just fun compared with "Sigmund Freud, analyze this."

That said, I don't dislike it. I can't blame Eon for the chance to sign her to do a Bond theme. She's Madonna, she's a legend and it can't hurt to have someone of that talent involved. I don't even mind her small part in it. And I agree with whoever said above that at least it's not yet another cheesy ballad. Enough with that already.
    LTK better than GE? No.

TLD better than GE? Hmm, yes.
    I prefer TWINE over LTK.Sorry.

No you’re not. ;)

No you’re not. ;)

He should be ;)
    I also prefer TND over LTK.TND is just so much fun!