Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Refreshing to hear. I think GE is a good film but it simply isn't going to rate above middle of the pack for me. I gave a few examples of why in an above post and be glad to give more if that lends insight into my thinking.
    Agreed. Just see Della as a stand-in for Tracy and Sanchez as a stand-in for Blofeld.

I think Bond would be taking revenge on Leiter if Della was standing in for Tracy! ;)

Thats a good point and id be surprised if this hasnt come up in the forums before,Della was REALLY flirty with Bond at that wedding and it seems to me that he was a lot more shaken up by her death than Felix was.Actually Felix seems to be in rather good spirits at the end of the movie given that he lost his wife AND his leg!
    The problem with Goldeneye, at least on my last watch, is that it is extremely boring and way too much of it is devoted to Natalya. What underscores this is the sheer childishness of the Boris/Natalya scenes. They are embarrassing to watch.

In the climax Bond goes into action wearing military fatigues, but armed only with a small calibre handgun and a pen. Stupid. At least in TND he goes into the final showdown fully equipped.

I can ignore other problems. All Bond films have things that irritate, even the very best ones. But when watching GE last time the embarrassing dialogue and performances and time it takes to get going really grated on me.

To be fair, Bond wasnt counting on infiltrating an enemy base at that time.He and Natlaya were shot down over Trevelyans lair while they were doing recon and he had little to no equipment.

In TND when he and Wai Lin were heading out to find Carvers boat,they knew exactly what they were getting into and were equipped accordingly.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Agreed. Just see Della as a stand-in for Tracy and Sanchez as a stand-in for Blofeld.

I think Bond would be taking revenge on Leiter if Della was standing in for Tracy! ;)

Thats a good point and id be surprised if this hasnt come up in the forums before,Della was REALLY flirty with Bond at that wedding and it seems to me that he was a lot more shaken up by her death than Felix was.Actually Felix seems to be in rather good spirits at the end of the movie given that he lost his wife AND his leg!

That's always one thing that bothered me about LTK.
    True, but perhaps he was happy that Bond had avenged him and Della by utterly destroying Sanchez.

Incidentally, I used to think that "We'll do some fishing" was an abominable line in light of the shark, but I now realize it's callback to Bond's line "Let's do some fishing" at the beginning of the film, when they capture Sanchez. So Bond is telling Felix they're going to relive old times again.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

In the LTK treatment, Felix ended up with Lupe!
    echo wrote: »

In the LTK treatment, Felix ended up with Lupe!

Seriously? I must give that a read!

Read it here.

And for those who just want to read the end:
    Mexican fiesta, Acapulco. Pam and Q are at table in patio. She wears her leather vest. She sees Bond approach, one arm in a sling, talking to Lupe. Only their heads are visible above the crowds. Pam is miffed. As crowd thins we see Lupe is pushing Leiter in a wheel chair. They arrive at the table. It seems Lupe has found her true vocation taking care of Leiter. Q tells Bond M wants him to return at once for re-assignment. Pam says, “You need R and R first. Why don’t you buy a yacht for a three month sail on the Caribbean with me.” Bond asks what they will use for money. She opens one of the padded sections of her vest. It is stuffed with packets of hundred dollar bills. “You didn’t think I was going to let you put all that cash in the decompression chamber, did you? I’m a practical woman.” Bond says he won’t be much use to her with one arm. “For what I have in mind, you won’t need your hands,” she tells him.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Revelator wrote: »

Read it here.

And for those who just want to read the end:
    Mexican fiesta, Acapulco. Pam and Q are at table in patio. She wears her leather vest. She sees Bond approach, one arm in a sling, talking to Lupe. Only their heads are visible above the crowds. Pam is miffed. As crowd thins we see Lupe is pushing Leiter in a wheel chair. They arrive at the table. It seems Lupe has found her true vocation taking care of Leiter. Q tells Bond M wants him to return at once for re-assignment. Pam says, “You need R and R first. Why don’t you buy a yacht for a three month sail on the Caribbean with me.” Bond asks what they will use for money. She opens one of the padded sections of her vest. It is stuffed with packets of hundred dollar bills. “You didn’t think I was going to let you put all that cash in the decompression chamber, did you? I’m a practical woman.” Bond says he won’t be much use to her with one arm. “For what I have in mind, you won’t need your hands,” she tells him.

That sounds abysmal (apart from actually showing Bond got injured)

Maybe it would play bettter than it reads...

The ending we ended up with wasn't much cop either.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ending LTK as if it were an American teen comedy was certainly a strange choice by the filmmakers.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Ending LTK as if it were an American teen comedy was certainly a strange choice by the filmmakers.

Haha... I must admit I actually like the ending of LTK with Dalton diving off the balcony. It does feel a little out of context given the tone of the film, though.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Octopussy wrote: »

Haha... I must admit I actually like the ending of LTK with Dalton diving off the balcony. It does feel a little out of context given the tone of the film, though.

I think that's where the makers bottled it with LTK's ending. It's like they couldn't quite follow through with a serious Bond right to the end. A sombre quieter ending would have suited what had gone before. Instead all the joviality leaves a bad taste in the mouth IMO.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I think that's where the makers bottled it with LTK's ending. It's like they couldn't quite follow through with a serious Bond right to the end. A sombre quieter ending would have suited what had gone before. Instead all the joviality leaves a bad taste in the mouth IMO.

I don’t mind the ending. But it is a bit silly how ‘upbeat’ Leiter is on the phone.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,025
    EON has always tried to subvert any ending that was somber. OHMSS suddenly blaring the Bond theme. LTK’s winking fish with a cheesy 80s R&B ballad. The gun barrel at the end of QOS. It’s all done to feebly to make sure audiences walk out on a positive note. “This a Bond film, we can’t have people feel so down when leaving the theaters!”
    EON has always tried to subvert any ending that was somber. OHMSS suddenly blaring the Bond theme. LTK’s winking fish with a cheesy 80s R&B ballad. The gun barrel at the end of QOS. It’s all done to feebly to make sure audiences walk out on a positive note. “This a Bond film, we can’t have people feel so down when leaving the theaters!”

True. Understandable, I suppose.
    Haha... I must admit I actually like the ending of LTK with Dalton diving off the balcony.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. A typical Bond film has two Bond girls, one of whom is usually evil and killed off before the end, leaving Bond with the less interesting good girl. But Lupe isn't a femme fatale, so the film has to end with Bond making a decision about which girl to choose--this happens very rarely at the end of a Bond film. Pam is more emotionally mature and more Bond's type, so he makes his decision in a way that wholeheartedly signals his commitment to her, especially since she thinks he's more into Lupe.

The end does stumble a bit with Leiter (though the line about fishing is actually a callback to "let's go fishing" in the pre-credits), but on the other hand the ending isn't supposed to be tragic--Bond won, avenged Leiter, and got the girl.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Haha... I must admit I actually like the ending of LTK with Dalton diving off the balcony.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. A typical Bond film has two Bond girls, one of whom is usually evil and killed off before the end, leaving Bond with the less interesting good girl. But Lupe isn't a femme fatale, so the film has to end with Bond making a decision about which girl to choose--this happens very rarely at the end of a Bond film. Pam is more emotionally mature and more Bond's type, so he makes his decision in a way that wholeheartedly signals his commitment to her, especially since she thinks he's more into Lupe.

The end does stumble a bit with Leiter (though the line about fishing is actually a callback to "let's go fishing" in the pre-credits), but on the other hand the ending isn't supposed to be tragic--Bond won, avenged Leiter, and got the girl.

+1

I do agree that Felix's upbeat tone on the phone and the winking fish do detract from the ending, though.

All very true and agreed. But it’s all very swiftly resolved at the same time.
    They probably didnt need to have Leiter appear at all at the end. Could of had someone just saying he was doing well, and Q could have delivered the line that M was looking for Bond to come back!
    As it is however, I dont mind the ending at all, coming as it does after a superb film!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    They probably didnt need to have Leiter appear at all at the end. Could of had someone just saying he was doing well, and Q could have delivered the line that M was looking for Bond to come back!
    As it is however, I dont mind the ending at all, coming as it does after a superb film!

It’s still a superb Bond film as you say.

Personally, I had to wait 17 years to be that impressed again.
    suavejmf wrote: »

+1
    Controversial opinion:

I like Felix's happy go lucky cheerful demeanor at the end of LTK.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Its been 14 years and counting since we have been impressed...
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

I don't mind it and think it's fine that after the hell he'd been through that he has something to smile about and look forward to. What's so wrong with that?

What bothers me in the finale, and earlier in the film, is Pam turning to teenager mode and crying over Bond. It would've been refreshing to take her tough-girl persona to the relationship level and grab him away from Lupe and establish it.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

I don't mind it and think it's fine that after the hell he'd been through that he has something to smile about and look forward to. What's so wrong with that?

What bothers me in the finale, and earlier in the film, is Pam turning to teenager mode and crying over Bond. It would've been refreshing to take her tough-girl persona to the relationship level and grab him away from Lupe and establish it.

Indeed. The jealous Pam/love triangle bit is more SAVED BY THE BELL than Bond.
    I never knew about the original ending with Lupe caring for Felix. She seems far more the type to go for President Hector Lopez than Leiter.

Arbitrary shade thrown at the entire Brosnan era? Check.

:P

You're definitely not the only person to be bothered by that. Speaking only for myself, I like that Pam has a tough facade but is over-sensitive when it comes to love. No one can be 100% tough, and when it comes to a unique man like Bond there is a chink in her armor. I think she knows grabbing Bond away from Lupe wouldn't work because Bond's emotions are the one thing she can't strongarm--he's the one person she's met just as tough as herself. And because she's convinced Bond favors Lupe, there's nothing she can do but sulk. This is more refreshing to me than having the girls confront each other and have a catfight, but others may differ.

Regarding the winking fish--this has never bothered me because it comes at the very end. There's no tension or suspense left to dispel and everything has been resolved. So if the filmmakers want to wink and say "we hope you enjoyed the show!" after an intense ride and a mostly happy ending, that's fine.

You're definitely not the only person to be bothered by that. Speaking only for myself, I like that Pam has a tough facade but is over-sensitive when it comes to love. No one can be 100% tough, and when it comes to a unique man like Bond there is a chink in her armor. I think she knows grabbing Bond away from Lupe wouldn't work because Bond's emotions are the one thing she can't strongarm--he's the one person she's met just as tough as herself. And because she's convinced Bond favors Lupe, there's nothing she can do but sulk. This is more refreshing to me than having the girls confront each other and have a catfight, but others may differ.

Regarding the winking fish--this has never bothered me because it comes at the very end. There's no tension or suspense left to dispel and everything has been resolved. So if the filmmakers want to wink and say "we hope you enjoyed the show!" after an intense ride and a mostly happy ending, that's fine.

Totaly agree with you on both points
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »

Totaly agree with you on both points

Me too.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

Arbitrary shade thrown at the entire Brosnan era? Check.

:P

It was entertaining, but I didn’t love it. The low point of the franchise for me.

I don’t don’t deny it’s popularity and success. Just a personal opinion.