Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    talos7 wrote: »
    Chalamet's accent in The King was flawless. Not poor at all.

This entire thread has been people trashing someone's suggestion for being ridiculous, and then proposing their own even more bonkers casting choices in return.

"I'm right, and everyone else is wrong! How can they not know??" ;)

Haha. Listen, I have repeatedly throughout this thread said I understand people's objections to Chalamet. But then they just come out with suggestions that are just as left field. I'm baffled!

I will confess that I know virtually nothing about Chalamet, only what he looks like based on the photos posted here; but I do see something in him , an intensity and stoic quality.

He's not ready now; he looks too young, needs a bit of quality weight, and of course a better haircut. the fact is he doesn't have to be ready now; as I posted previously, a traffic signal doesn't have to be green when you're a block away, only when you get to the intersection. 5 years to mature will benefit him greatly, and his appearance is likely to change considerably...for the better.

Accent aside, how is his voice?

Well, in The King, which I am basing my entire opinion on, he plays Henry V. So he puts on an upper class English accent. Maybe it is too posh for the movie Bond we know. But then again, so is Fassbender's English accent, and people don't seem to have too much of an issue with him potentially being Bond.

I would urge anyone to ignore the photos you see of Chalamet with his dappy haircut. I agree if you see him with his floppy hair on the red carpet the suggestion he could be Bond is ludicrous. Watch him in The King, and then give him 5-10 years, and I think it is more than plausible that he could play a version of Bond. The Henry V he plays in that film has all the ruthless qualities of a young Bond. With the film tailored to his strengths, it could work. But look, it's just an opinion.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I didn't want to say because I didn't want to criticise anyone's choices, because it has become clear we are all seeing different qualities in each of these guys.

But Pheonix and Whitehead are just as 'out there' as Chalamet for their own reasons, in my opinion. But hey, I'm just amused, so don't want to get into a row over it.
    Ah I see, it’s alright, all I’ll say is that my Whitehead suggestion wasn’t meant for the same comparison. He’s someone I imagine in the very distant future, way after the next guy, while Chalamet was initially being pitched as possible for the next 007. I also think there are things that realistically separate them enough to warrant subjectiveness for me.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Yes I agree. I didn't mean to suggest Chalamet would be good now, necessarily. I'm not outraged you suggest Whitehead. If a knowledgable Bond fan throws up his name then there must be something there, even if I can't see it right now. I guess that's what I was trying to get across with Chalamet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yes I agree. I didn't mean to suggest Chalamet would be good now, necessarily. I'm not outraged you suggest Whitehead. If a knowledgable Bond fan throws up his name then there must be something there, even if I can't see it right now. I guess that's what I was trying to get across with Chalamet.
    I feel you; again without trying to bore you with repetiveness, I just think Chalamet has carved such a career for himself already, and has become such a certain type of actor that I find it hard to even picture him in the role. Like I’ve said before what he’s done before and what he is doing leans me to believe he’s more of the actor that will become an eventual villain as opposed to Bond himself. But either way I will say I’m a huge fan of his, and he has some great projects coming up. I’m especially looking forward to Dune and The French Dispatch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm sorry but why isn't everyone laughing their heads off with that Chalamet head over Brosnan's body? It's hilarious. I mean, some complain of things like "The Turner fanboy club", but then there are actually pic fakes of a 24 year old American going around.

Thank you for that, I'm really laughing my head off.

That picture... =)) It's precious. I'll have to post it here again. No...I can't, I'd genuinely be embarrassed to have that thing under my moniker. Really.
    Right? =))

Aaaand... we're back to being nasty to each other. 8-|

Hey, the man took it off, didn't he? I wonder why. This thread is starting to look like a Bravo magazine cover. I was being funny about it, not actually nasty. You were the one who mentioned his glitter harness, weren't you? But if you want me to be serious about it, well... I actually don't have to, it all speaks for itself. It is ridiculous. As you are, trying to inflame me into a discussion again, as if you weren't making fun of it too. Get real.

Oh, and ...sure.

I was taking the mick out of a movie star's outfit, that's not exactly the same as ridiculing a fellow forum user's suggestion or their photoshop work or calling them 'infactuated', which is nasty. Play nice.

Sure.

Yeah, we did that joke. A few times.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I have given my reasons why Chalamet could (emphasis on could - as the thread's title indicates) do the role.

I am not a Craig fan necessarily. I believe he has given his all, takes it seriously, but his look really lets him down. Just my opinion. I accept that he has other qualities that make him appropriate for James Bond. Either way, they have tailored the series to his strengths. If they did that with some of the other candidates on this board then it could work.

Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base.

As for your exercise of picking someone right on the money - well I think that's the problem, isn't it? There simply isn't anyone. Anyone who could/should do the role has major drawbacks that come hand in hand with their more appropriate qualities.

Chalamet, going on from his performance in The King, has the poise, gravitas, stoicism, athleticism, and ability to perform cold blooded acts of violence (see how he deals with Sean Harris and Robert Pattinson in the film), but he lacks stature and at this moment in time, muscularity. He is also somewhat feminine and young looking.

Looking at Aidan Turner, he seems to be the closest in terms of looks to the classical depiction of Bond. I haven't seen anything he has done though, so got no idea about his voice etc.

But this Chalamet fella is an American. Can you name one American actor who can perform a realistic British accent, not an impression, but a believable accent? I can name one....Micheal C Hall. The likes of Jonny Depp, Robert Downey JR etc are ‘positively shocking’ fakes.
    John Lithgow can haha :D

It’s not bad, agreed. But it is a fairly pantomime Churchill accent. But ok, that’s 2 US actors in the history of Cinema.

You'll disagree with anything anyone suggests, but I'd say that Christopher Plummer (a North American) is pretty hard to spot. Streep's not shabby either.

Plummer is Canadian and if I'm not wrong has some British relatives and had a fairly extensive career in the UK as a thespian.

Canada is in North America, yes.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I'm sorry but why isn't everyone laughing their heads off with that Chalamet head over Brosnan's body? It's hilarious. I mean, some complain of things like "The Turner fanboy club", but then there are actually pic fakes of a 24 year old American going around.

That picture... =)) It's precious. I'll have to post it here again. No...I can't, I'd genuinely be embarrassed to have that thing under my moniker. Really.
    Right? =))

Hey, the man took it off, didn't he? I wonder why. This thread is starting to look like a Bravo magazine cover. I was being funny about it, not actually nasty. You were the one who mentioned his glitter harness, weren't you? But if you want me to be serious about it, well... I actually don't have to, it all speaks for itself. It is ridiculous. As you are, trying to inflame me into a discussion again, as if you weren't making fun of it too. Get real.

Oh, and ...sure.

I was taking the mick out of a movie star's outfit, that's not exactly the same as ridiculing a fellow forum user's suggestion or their photoshop work or calling them 'infactuated', which is nasty. Play nice.

Sure.

Sure we did ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The only American I would've ever accepted as James Bond would've been Joaquin Phoenix if he was a decade and a half younger.

That lad can pop off. He is dark, handsome, looks like he keeps a million secrets, and a menacing look behind those cold, gray eyes. Perfect physically for Bond.

He even has a scar on his lips!

In fact, I was even shocked that he was American because for the longest time I only knew him from Gladiator where he was very convincing as Roman royalty.

livekindly_joaquin_phoenix_vegan-1068x601.jpg

Interesting; I'd not really considered him, but yeah, I could see that working.

I like imagining these sort of could-have-been universes. I used to think Sam Neill was obviously wrong for it, but I think he could have given a very interesting Bond.

Oh, there's yet another non-Brit with a convincing accent for you @suavejmf: Sam Neill.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The only American I would've ever accepted as James Bond would've been Joaquin Phoenix if he was a decade and a half younger.

That lad can pop off. He is dark, handsome, looks like he keeps a million secrets, and a menacing look behind those cold, gray eyes. Perfect physically for Bond.

In fact, I was even shocked that he was American because for the longest time I only knew him from Gladiator where he was very convincing as Roman royalty.

Same here. For many obvious reasons, not now, but then? Might have been cool for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Same here. For many obvious reasons, not now, but then? Might have been cool for sure.

Yeah I think weirdly we're maybe stuck a little bit in the old style of Hollywood thinking, maybe because Cubby picked Brosnan and kind of postponed that for a while. But heroes now aren't just the square-jawed Rock Hudson types: they can be more interesting than that. Look at most of the Marvel superheroes for confirmation. In fact superheroes cottoned onto this way before Bond: look at Keaton as Batman 30 years ago. 'Too short'? Rubbish. Cubby didn't want Burt Reynolds because he was too short. Who thinks of Burt Reynolds as short?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Oh, there's yet another non-Brit with a convincing accent for you @suavejmf: Sam Neill.

Technically, he is a Brit. But I agree with you, I would have loved to have seen him as Bond. I've seen a lot of people react negatively to his screen test (all fifteen seconds of it, at least), but I thought it was as good as any other we ever got.

Technically, he is a Brit. But I agree with you, I would have loved to have seen him as Bond. I've seen a lot of people react negatively to his screen test (all fifteen seconds of it, at least), but I thought it was as good as any other we ever got.

Just watched it, seemed fine to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Technically, he is a Brit.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure he'd say he is of course!
    But I agree with you, I would have loved to have seen him as Bond. I've seen a lot of people react negatively to his screen test (all fifteen seconds of it, at least), but I thought it was as good as any other we ever got.

Yeah I've been watching some of Reilly Ace of Spies on Talking Pictures TV, and I can see why they tested him. He would have easily carried the film as well as Dalton did.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Technically, he is a Brit.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure he'd say he is of course!

Haha! A fair point. He's been very much indoctrinated!
    Yeah I've been watching some of Reilly Ace of Spies on Talking Pictures TV, and I can see why they tested him. He would have easily carried the film as well as Dalton did.

I think so, too. I've never actually seen Reilly: Ace Of Spies, but there are plenty of examples him executing broad Bond traits in his filmography, too. There's a lot of dry wit as Alan Grant, cold-blooded killing in his performance as Damien in Omen III (or Event Horizon if you prefer!), and then some likeable charm as the plucky, headstrong, romantic hero in Deep Calm.

Alas, not to be!
    Just watched it, seemed fine to me.

Same here. Screen tests tend to be awkward anyway.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    'Reilly' is really worth a watch (some episodes directed by Martin Campbell: bit of a pattern building here!), and if suave thinks he's doing a bad job as an Englishman then there's not much helping him.
    Although weirdly Reilly wasn't English!
    Same here. Screen tests tend to be awkward anyway.

I'd really love to see some of the tests of the actors who actually got it, just to see how different it is. I think Connery and Moore are the only ones who didn't test..?
    Apparently that documentary will have a bit of Craig's test in it, which will be a first.
    After Sam Neill, I watched the James Brolin screen test... the horror...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    After Sam Neill, I watched the James Brolin screen test... the horror...

I know what you mean: he's not horrendous, but his weird slightly lazy style has a sort of disconnect with the audience. Anyone who says Roger Moore isn't good or talented always needs to watch stuff like that I think: he's clearly got a knack and a charm that very few stars did.
    I didn't want to say because I didn't want to criticise anyone's choices, because it has become clear we are all seeing different qualities in each of these guys.

But Pheonix and Whitehead are just as 'out there' as Chalamet for their own reasons, in my opinion. But hey, I'm just amused, so don't want to get into a row over it.

How is Phoenix out there laddy? Obviously he won't be Bond as he has aged out of the role. But a 35 year old Phoenix would physically resemble the role as well as anyone. And we all know his prodigious acting talent.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

I like imagining these sort of could-have-been universes. I used to think Sam Neill was obviously wrong for it, but I think he could have given a very interesting Bond.

Ooooh no. I’m not having that one. Sam Neill’s faux English accent was very contrived (trying so hard to be overtly posh) along with his ‘limp wristed’ Bond audition. I can see why Cubby said ‘no’. It’s not the worst accent attempt, but not great either. Albeit, I admit it isn’t a long clip.

It may be convincing to you, fair enough, which I accept. But not to me as an Englishman.

Saying that, Sam Neill’s audition was brilliant, when compared with James Brolin’s, who actually played Bond with an American accent. “Figs and Yo-Gutttt”. Truly horrifying. Now that truly is the other end of the spectrum. An American actor who made absolutely no effort to attempt an English accent as Bond.

How is Phoenix out there laddy? Obviously he won't be Bond as he has aged out of the role. But a 35 year old Phoenix would physically resemble the role as well as anyone. And we all know his prodigious acting talent.

5ft 7 apparently and American so that would seem to count him out?
    TFC1 wrote: »

5ft 7 apparently and American so that would seem to count him out?

Very short and American. Agreed. Not really suitable for Bond at all in my opinion, so very much ‘out there.’

Great actor in general though.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2020 Posts: 45,489
    Phoenix could have been Bond, but another from Gladiator would have been a better fit-Russell Crowe.

Right? =))

Oh, and ...sure.

Sure.

I have given my reasons why Chalamet could (emphasis on could - as the thread's title indicates) do the role.

I am not a Craig fan necessarily. I believe he has given his all, takes it seriously, but his look really lets him down. Just my opinion. I accept that he has other qualities that make him appropriate for James Bond. Either way, they have tailored the series to his strengths. If they did that with some of the other candidates on this board then it could work.

Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base.

As for your exercise of picking someone right on the money - well I think that's the problem, isn't it? There simply isn't anyone. Anyone who could/should do the role has major drawbacks that come hand in hand with their more appropriate qualities.

Chalamet, going on from his performance in The King, has the poise, gravitas, stoicism, athleticism, and ability to perform cold blooded acts of violence (see how he deals with Sean Harris and Robert Pattinson in the film), but he lacks stature and at this moment in time, muscularity. He is also somewhat feminine and young looking.

Looking at Aidan Turner, he seems to be the closest in terms of looks to the classical depiction of Bond. I haven't seen anything he has done though, so got no idea about his voice etc.

But this Chalamet fella is an American. Can you name one American actor who can perform a realistic British accent, not an impression, but a believable accent? I can name one....Micheal C Hall. The likes of Jonny Depp, Robert Downey JR etc are ‘positively shocking’ fakes.

It’s not bad, agreed. But it is a fairly pantomime Churchill accent. But ok, that’s 2 US actors in the history of Cinema.

You'll disagree with anything anyone suggests, but I'd say that Christopher Plummer (a North American) is pretty hard to spot. Streep's not shabby either.

Plummer is Canadian and if I'm not wrong has some British relatives and had a fairly extensive career in the UK as a thespian.

What I meant is that it's a completely different assessment. I'd have no objection for a Canadian playing Bond, providing he can give a flawless British accent and can "get" British culture and his familiar to it.

Right? =))

Oh, and ...sure.

Sure.

What I meant is that it's a completely different assessment. I'd have no objection for a Canadian playing Bond, providing he can give a flawless British accent and can "get" British culture and his familiar to it.

Canada is part of the commonwealth so if there was someone from there who hit every other requirement then they would just squeeze into being acceptable I think.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Right? =))

Oh, and ...sure.

Sure.

Canada is part of the commonwealth so if there was someone from there who hit every other requirement then they would just squeeze into being acceptable I think.

Does that go for all 52 countries?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Funny thing is, American actors who EON were seriously looking at for the role of James Bond like---Adam West, Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds all said the role must be British....I wonder if we had more Honest actors back then, LOL.

Right? =))

Oh, and ...sure.

Sure.

Not to me. The Commonwealth means nothing now, it’s ‘token tradition’. The Countries within are so culturally diverse and have nothing to do with the UK really.

Right? =))

Oh, and ...sure.

Sure.

Does that go for all 52 countries?

Exactly. How can it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ooooh no. I’m not having that one. Sam Neill’s faux English accent was very contrived (trying so hard to be overtly posh) along with his ‘limp wristed’ Bond audition. I can see why Cubby said ‘no’. It’s not the worst accent attempt, but not great either. Albeit, I admit it isn’t a long clip.

It may be convincing to you, fair enough, which I accept. But not to me as an Englishman.

Saying that, Sam Neill’s audition was brilliant, when compared with James Brolin’s, who actually played Bond with an American accent. “Figs and Yo-Gutttt”. Truly horrifying. Now that truly is the other end of the spectrum. An American actor who made absolutely no effort to attempt an English accent as Bond.

If you haven't watched Reilly Ace of Spies I don't think you can judge. As an Englishman (actually from the bit of the world he was doing the accent of, unlike Harrogate) I can tell you he did a great job.

If you haven't watched Reilly Ace of Spies I don't think you can judge. As an Englishman (actually from the bit of the world he was doing the accent of, unlike Harrogate) I can tell you he did a great job.

I’ve seen his Bond Audition and I thought it was poor. I can judge as I see fit. But you can tell me in ‘your opinion’ that he did a good job. Sure.

What’s Harrogate got to do with anything? Random and irrelevant. But I have family and friends from across the UK if that’s what you mean.

It’s accent ‘from’, not ‘of’ by the way. Pedantic, I know. But we are discussing the subject of recognising the Queens ‘English’ after all.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665

I’ve seen his Bond Audition and I thought it was poor. I can judge as I see fit. But you can tell me in ‘your opinion’ that he did a good job. Sure.

What’s Harrogate got to do with anything? Random and irrelevant. But I have family and friends from across the UK if that’s what you mean.

It’s accent ‘from’, not ‘of’ by the way.

You're from Harrogate, @suavejmf? You lucky sod. It's supposed to be lovely there. I've only seen pictures and I know of the spa scene, with all the mineral springs. Very lovely place. One of Britain's happiest towns, right? Hope everything is good and well there, and with you and your family. Good call on the "from", btw ;)