Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    On a different note, Fionn Whitehead is someone I’d put forward for Bond 8. He was the main young guy from Dunkirk and Bandersnatch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,920
    Higgins undermines my point slightly :)

He's not the worst by any means though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    Born and raised in Texas; to my untrained ear he sounds pretty good.

Admittedly it’s not bad, especially for a Texan which must be very hard.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Fionn Whitehead is someone I’d put forward for Bond 8, not the next guy though. He was the main young guy from Dunkirk and Bandersnatch.

You want Fionn Whitehead and not Chalamet? You're just trying to wind me up now...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Fionn Whitehead is someone I’d put forward for Bond 8, not the next guy though. He was the main young guy from Dunkirk and Bandersnatch.
    You want Fionn Whitehead and not Chalamet? You're just trying to wind me up now...
    Haha, for Bond 8, and I see what you’re saying, but I think Whitehead is a more realistic choice in terms of his career so far, and not to mention he’s British, so he has that authentic edge, but again this would be whenever the next guy has finished, and would depend what kind of actor he grows to be.
    Not seen Bandersnatch so can't comment.
    He is very passive in Dunkirk, which is probably why I can't see it at the moment. Obviously that was what the role called for.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Not seen Bandersnatch so can't comment.
    He definitely shows more range than Dunkirk, and it’s an interactive episode of Black Mirror so an interesting concept worth checking out in and of itself.

I am probably getting ahead of myself though with trying to talk about Bond 8 haha :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    At the rate we are going, Bond 8 probably hasn't been born yet. ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    All of us going to watch his first film...

1iR0.gif

1iR0.gif

Don't joke.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

1iR0.gif

Don't joke.
    It’s gonna be alright @FatherValentine haha :D
    Univex wrote: »
    First, a black 47 year old actor.
    Now, a skinny 24 year old American boy.

Mind you, they are good actors and cool people, both of them. But what on earth have they got that makes them suitable for this role, @Pierce2Daniel. I know you like them. I do to. Well, I like Elba. A lot. The guy oozes charisma and cool. Chalamet is somewhat overrated IMO, but he'll get better, I believe, if he doesn't go for a decade long ego trip and bender. But why do you think they are good for this role? It just seems like you're picking people from diametrical opposite sides of the spectrum just to break the mould, or to go against the proverbial fur. Just as an exercise, who would you choose that is right on the money? An actor who just fits the bill. Who is as close as he could ever be to the classical depiction of this role? I'm genuinely curious about that, as so far you've only presented options that are jarringly chocking, to say the least.

Anyway, an amicable proposal, if you will.

I'm just spitballing. But if I had to offer a definitive take, I'd say that I see 3 feasible casting routes as so so much is dependent on the story for Bond 26:
    1. They may do a continuation of Craig's Bond or a softer reboot akin to CR. In which case, I suppose a white male actor in his 30's would be most appropriate. Perhaps someone like Jamie Dornan or Aidan Turner could work then.
    2. However, they could do a bold reinterpretation requiring a harder 'reboot'. Perhaps that story reboots the character and a new type of Bond is required. Then it would be feasible to imagine someone like Idris Elba or Sope Dirisu.
    3. Alternatively, they may do a 'Young Bond' style film where we see Bond get recruited. Then maybe someone like Timothee Chalamet or Harris Dickinson could be hired.

Basically, we don't know the story yet for Bond 26, so I'm just suggesting people I think could do a good job. In the case of Dickinson and Chalamet they are two actors who might not get a look in now, but maybe in the future.

Though having listened to the very interesting podcast from QOS's DOP Roberto Schaffer it is clear that Eon have a strict 'No Americans' policy. They wouldn't even let him hire his usual 'A' cameraman on that basis. So an American Bond might be blasphemous at Eon. Though they did hire an American director in CJF...So times are changing.

I just see potential in the guy...he doesn't have it yet. but there's something there.

WIHHuCQwxRZILq8uZXOWOO1-cfJpEUtam8seD7ohs19G3QPfp6YBzXaK0Bgj-nLx34mxdMjScTdSIgFn0nJUD8tb_3CACC8LoIxVf3-peKkFbggJ-mYl6i5urbdJAENFjG9vziLIsI52p9CJ_zJngZZNZCQv

Much in the same way, that when Zack Snyder cast Henry Cavill as Superman he had the potential but even from his audition you could see he wasn't entirely there yet. Just look at his audition photo below:

Dy3jwNwXQAAC35k.jpg
    mtm wrote: »
    I think in The King Chalamet comes across as very stoic and physical, with an underlying athleticism. The way he responds to killing during battle, and also to killing in cold blood, is very Bondian. The trajectory of his character within the film is also similar to that of Bond in the film version of CR - from callow, to traumatised, to hardened killer.

With his looks and youth, it would be a take on Bond that we haven't yet seen. But he certainly wouldnt be a safe choice, I get that.
    Feels like an actor whose career is possibly a bit too interesting already to do it though.
    Another good point; again I think Dune has a lot to do with it. Like The Batman for Pattinson, I think if they are successful and they are able to do the trilogy they have planned, then I don’t think Chalamet will have the chance to get these kinds of roles.

Yeah it's funny: we were lucky to get Craig because he's a really good actor, but one who wasn't having a great film career just by bad luck I guess. The likes of Tomb Raider and The Invasion weren't getting him anywhere.
    Sorry @mtm - didn't mean to. It doesn't play out exactly as you might think, anyway.

Nah it's okay, I was only kidding: as I say- everyone gets sliced up in these things! :)

I contest this. Craig wasn't a 'movie star' in 2006, but he was a name on the British indie film scene starring in stuff like The Mother, Enduring Love, Layer Cake, Sylvia.

They were the films that got Barbara Broccoli's attention.

Chalemet may be a fantastic actor for his age but absolutely nothing about him puts you in mind of James bond.

He is a younger, skinnier, less Alpha male American version of Tom Hiddleston at best when thinking of Bond. If we want someone who makes young goth girls or instagrammers excited then great but no thanks for James Bond. (Note - my opinion only!)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Timothy Chalamet is better suited to play Q.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I’m personally championing Riz Ahmed for Q, and because of Chalamet’s talent and career, I think if he was ever to appear in a James Bond film, it would be in the role of the villain - but not for a while yet.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I’m personally championing Riz Ahmed for Q, and because of Chalamet’s talent and career, I think if he was ever to appear in a James Bond film, it would be in the role of the villain - but not for a while yet.

Yeah, not bad....although, the guy I would have wanted as Q is already taken by another Spy Franchise, I think he would have been wonderful----Simon Pegg.

Or maybe they bring back Major Boothroyd and look for a suitable actor to play him.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I have given my reasons why Chalamet could (emphasis on could - as the thread's title indicates) do the role.

I am not a Craig fan necessarily. I believe he has given his all, takes it seriously, but his look really lets him down. Just my opinion. I accept that he has other qualities that make him appropriate for James Bond. Either way, they have tailored the series to his strengths. If they did that with some of the other candidates on this board then it could work.

Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base.

As for your exercise of picking someone right on the money - well I think that's the problem, isn't it? There simply isn't anyone. Anyone who could/should do the role has major drawbacks that come hand in hand with their more appropriate qualities.

Chalamet, going on from his performance in The King, has the poise, gravitas, stoicism, athleticism, and ability to perform cold blooded acts of violence (see how he deals with Sean Harris and Robert Pattinson in the film), but he lacks stature and at this moment in time, muscularity. He is also somewhat feminine and young looking.

Looking at Aidan Turner, he seems to be the closest in terms of looks to the classical depiction of Bond. I haven't seen anything he has done though, so got no idea about his voice etc.

But this Chalamet fella is an American. Can you name one American actor who can perform a realistic British accent, not an impression, but a believable accent? I can name one....Micheal C Hall. The likes of Jonny Depp, Robert Downey JR etc are ‘positively shocking’ fakes.
    John Lithgow can haha :D

It’s not bad, agreed. But it is a fairly pantomime Churchill accent. But ok, that’s 2 US actors in the history of Cinema.

You'll disagree with anything anyone suggests, but I'd say that Christopher Plummer (a North American) is pretty hard to spot. Streep's not shabby either.

I’ve accepted an example already. Yes, Plummer is ok too. There’s something quite erudite about his persona, which seems British.

The most grudging acceptance possible! :D
    I think quite a few people still think Plummer is British.

It's entirely possible to do it. Like you, I'd prefer it not to just for authenticity's sake, plus in a way it kind of boosts the British film industry just a bit to have real British stars, but if all else fails it is possible.

I’ll give you that one too. 👍

I’ve just heard the accent so badly done in the past. Acting standards are improving internationally it seems though.

Yes these names can do accent's but none of them are bond candidates, is it? If there is any american actor who can do British accent flawlessly, then we should seriously consider him but none comes to mind yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’ve never seen him do one but if Christopher Abbott could do a really good British accent I’d be sooo down for him as James Bond.

Catch22.Abbott.1500.jpg?itok=EE5w6VpH

Maybe Felix, if not?
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 727
    The only American I would've ever accepted as James Bond would've been Joaquin Phoenix if he was a decade and a half younger.

That lad can pop off. He is dark, handsome, looks like he keeps a million secrets, and a menacing look behind those cold, gray eyes. Perfect physically for Bond.

He even has a scar on his lips!

In fact, I was even shocked that he was American because for the longest time I only knew him from Gladiator where he was very convincing as Roman royalty.

livekindly_joaquin_phoenix_vegan-1068x601.jpg

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Phoenix might have been cool.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I have given my reasons why Chalamet could (emphasis on could - as the thread's title indicates) do the role.

I am not a Craig fan necessarily. I believe he has given his all, takes it seriously, but his look really lets him down. Just my opinion. I accept that he has other qualities that make him appropriate for James Bond. Either way, they have tailored the series to his strengths. If they did that with some of the other candidates on this board then it could work.

Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base.

As for your exercise of picking someone right on the money - well I think that's the problem, isn't it? There simply isn't anyone. Anyone who could/should do the role has major drawbacks that come hand in hand with their more appropriate qualities.

Chalamet, going on from his performance in The King, has the poise, gravitas, stoicism, athleticism, and ability to perform cold blooded acts of violence (see how he deals with Sean Harris and Robert Pattinson in the film), but he lacks stature and at this moment in time, muscularity. He is also somewhat feminine and young looking.

Looking at Aidan Turner, he seems to be the closest in terms of looks to the classical depiction of Bond. I haven't seen anything he has done though, so got no idea about his voice etc.

But this Chalamet fella is an American. Can you name one American actor who can perform a realistic British accent, not an impression, but a believable accent? I can name one....Micheal C Hall. The likes of Jonny Depp, Robert Downey JR etc are ‘positively shocking’ fakes.

It’s not bad, agreed. But it is a fairly pantomime Churchill accent. But ok, that’s 2 US actors in the history of Cinema.

You'll disagree with anything anyone suggests, but I'd say that Christopher Plummer (a North American) is pretty hard to spot. Streep's not shabby either.

I’ve accepted an example already. Yes, Plummer is ok too. There’s something quite erudite about his persona, which seems British.

It's entirely possible to do it. Like you, I'd prefer it not to just for authenticity's sake, plus in a way it kind of boosts the British film industry just a bit to have real British stars, but if all else fails it is possible.

I’ve just heard the accent so badly done in the past. Acting standards are improving internationally it seems though.

Yes these names can do accent's but none of them are bond candidates, is it? If there is any american actor who can do British accent flawlessly, then we should seriously consider him but none comes to mind yet.

I agree. Even then I would still want a Brit actor.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,677
    First, a black 47 year old actor.
    Now, a skinny 24 year old American boy.

Mind you, they are good actors and cool people, both of them. But what on earth have they got that makes them suitable for this role, @Pierce2Daniel. I know you like them. I do to. Well, I like Elba. A lot. The guy oozes charisma and cool. Chalamet is somewhat overrated IMO, but he'll get better, I believe, if he doesn't go for a decade long ego trip and bender. But why do you think they are good for this role? It just seems like you're picking people from diametrical opposite sides of the spectrum just to break the mould, or to go against the proverbial fur. Just as an exercise, who would you choose that is right on the money? An actor who just fits the bill. Who is as close as he could ever be to the classical depiction of this role? I'm genuinely curious about that, as so far you've only presented options that are jarringly chocking, to say the least.

Anyway, an amicable proposal, if you will.

I'm just spitballing. But if I had to offer a definitive take, I'd say that I see 3 feasible casting routes as so so much is dependent on the story for Bond 26:
    1. They may do a continuation of Craig's Bond or a softer reboot akin to CR. In which case, I suppose a white male actor in his 30's would be most appropriate. Perhaps someone like Jamie Dornan or Aidan Turner could work then.

Thank you for you answer, @Pierce2Daniel.
    I'm sorry but why isn't everyone laughing their heads off with that Chalamet head over Brosnan's body? It's hilarious. I mean, some complain of things like "The Turner fanboy club", but then there are actually pic fakes of a 24 year old American going around.

Thank you for that, I'm really laughing my head off.

That picture... =)) It's precious. I'll have to post it here again. No...I can't, I'd genuinely be embarrassed to have that thing under my moniker. Really.
    Right? =))

Aaaand... we're back to being nasty to each other. 8-|

Hey, the man took it off, didn't he? I wonder why. This thread is starting to look like a Bravo magazine cover. I was being funny about it, not actually nasty. You were the one who mentioned his glitter harness, weren't you? But if you want me to be serious about it, well... I actually don't have to, it all speaks for itself. It is ridiculous. As you are, trying to inflame me into a discussion again, as if you weren't making fun of it too. Get real.

Oh, and ...sure.

I was taking the mick out of a movie star's outfit, that's not exactly the same as ridiculing a fellow forum user's suggestion or their photoshop work or calling them 'infactuated', which is nasty. Play nice.

Sure.

I agree. Even then I would still want a Brit actor.

Me too.

On another note, Chalamet's accent in The King was so poor, so was every attempt at an english accent by John Lithgow, being it on Cliffhanger or The Crown.

Plummer is Canadian and if I'm not wrong has some British relatives and had a fairly extensive career in the UK as a thespian.
    Chalamet's accent in The King was flawless. Not poor at all.

This entire thread has been people trashing someone's suggestion for being ridiculous, and then proposing their own even more bonkers casting choices in return.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

This entire thread has been people trashing someone's suggestion for being ridiculous, and then proposing their own even more bonkers casting choices in return.

"I'm right, and everyone else is wrong! How can they not know??" ;)

Haha. Listen, I have repeatedly throughout this thread said I understand people's objections to Chalamet. But then they just come out with suggestions that are just as left field. I'm baffled!

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Haha. Listen, I have repeatedly throughout this thread said I understand people's objections to Chalamet. But then they just come out with suggestions that are just as left field. I'm baffled!
    Whose just as left field?
    I didn't want to say because I didn't want to criticise anyone's choices, because it has become clear we are all seeing different qualities in each of these guys.

But Pheonix and Whitehead are just as 'out there' as Chalamet for their own reasons, in my opinion. But hey, I'm just amused, so don't want to get into a row over it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I will confess that I know virtually nothing about Chalamet, only what he looks like based on the photos posted here; but I do see something in him , an intensity and stoic quality.

He's not ready now; he looks too young, needs a bit of quality weight, and of course a better haircut. the fact is he doesn't have to be ready now; as I posted previously, a traffic signal doesn't have to be green when you're a block away, only when you get to the intersection. 5 years to mature will benefit him greatly, and his appearance is likely to change considerably...for the better.

Accent aside, how is his voice?

Based his performance on the Terence Young WW2 espionage film TRIPLE CROSS ,
    I think Christopher Plummer might have made a decent Bond post-Connery in spite of being Canadian rather than from the U.K.