Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    All fair @sandbagger1, these are the comments I’m interested to read cause they actually provide debate and discussion instead of just saying ‘no’ which provides nothing so don’t feel like your shutting anyone down. I completely see where you’re coming from, and how our opinions differ.

As for you mention of him being on the cusp, it’s why I provide so heavily the idea that he’s not the right man for tomorrow, but he could be for the time they’re looking to cast, which in my eyes won’t be for a few years.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Just say no... 😏
    Just suggest someone else.

And fair play @NickTwentyTwo

I have, as much as his supporters are called , by some , as “ gushing fanboys “, Aidan Turner is my top choice at the moment; he’s got everything the role requires
    If 26 is over 5 years off Hoult will be ready.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Just say no... 😏
    Just suggest someone else.

And fair play @NickTwentyTwo

I have, as much as his supporters are called , by some , as “ gushing fanboys “, Aidan Turner is my top choice at the moment; he’s got everything the role requires
    If 26 is over 5 years off Hoult will be ready.

I think there are some who suggest Turner, that get aggressive and defensive whenever someone says the don't like him, which I've never seen you do.

I can see the appeal with Aidan (as with Callum; again he leans toward the "Hoagy Carmichael / Clive Owen" look, but not far enough), but he's not for me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don’t see this correlation with Clive Owen at all. Callum looks more like a young Pierce to me.
    I don’t see this correlation with Clive Owen at all. He looks more like a young Pierce to me.

For me they all just fit under the "classic Fleming-esque Bond".

And with me, I see no visual connection to Brosnan, so, it's all subjective. ;)
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Calling it now....

Albert R Broccoli's Eon Productions presents TIMOTHEE CHALAMET as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's BOND 26

80344368_107582047409570_7104455822658240512_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LqEVYkqTJWgAX9ujvjV&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=65b01b27694b47c32fdff26b149e9c45&oe=5F04DD02

5a2e6113-728c-4eeb-8c9a-c82a94c274db-TIMOTHE_CHALAMET.JPG?width=660&height=460&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

The best young actor working today by a country mile....He's destined to be a legendary actor. He's perfectly suited for Bond. Perhaps a tiny bit young right now, but not by the time Bond 26 starts.....He reminds me a lot of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Also, his family is French, so the whole American thing is mitigated against anyway. But his father is French and his mother is American. If my memory is correct, Dalton's mother was American as well. Plus, anyway we have had an American Batman and Superman. So we can live with this...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Calling it now....

Albert R Broccoli's Eon Productions presents TIMOTHEE CHALAMET as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's BOND 26

80344368_107582047409570_7104455822658240512_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LqEVYkqTJWgAX9ujvjV&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=65b01b27694b47c32fdff26b149e9c45&oe=5F04DD02
    80093562_107594314075010_5142369424447111168_o.jpg?
    5a2e6113-728c-4eeb-8c9a-c82a94c274db-TIMOTHE_CHALAMET.JPG?width=660&height=460&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

:D There you go,we all have our preferences...and we need to respect that.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    @mtm it's funny I always thought Dalton was more Bondian in Rocketeer than in Bond, at least far more comfortable both as a tough man and a suave spy.

Yeah he’s also just bigger and brasher, and in something like Hot Fuzz he feels bigger than the movie... it’s weird. Maybe he really needed that third one too with a different director to draw the movie star out.
    @mtm it's funny I always thought Dalton was more Bondian in Rocketeer than in Bond, at least far more comfortable both as a tough man and a suave spy.

I've said the same about Brosnan and in some cases Moore. In movies like Wild Geese and Gold, Moore showed that he could portray a much more rugged character; to a degree he did this in Golden Gun.

Yeah I think Moore very much altered his performances more than he’d ever say he did!

I think Dalton never felt good about the pressure that came with the role of Bond. It didn't help that he was considered second choice. Also I do think that him and Glen were a mismatched "couple". He needed a director more suitable for him.
    I also don’t think it helped that his films weren’t very Bondian - like I’ve said before, his films felt more like intense episodes of Columbo or something with a young British lead. He was only the actor, to me, that didn’t get a film that fully represented James Bond and what that (usually) means. If that makes any sense haha.

How is he supposed to fully embody a character if the films he’s portraying him in don’t embody who the character is? In my opinion, I’m aware some people love those films and his portrayal but they just never resonated - personally.

I think TLD is fairly Bondian, but not the villains, who are rather forgettable (Koskov is really a, wasted opportunity). LTK is like a by the number American action movie and Bond has a long cameo in it. There was something lacking in both.
    Calling it now....

The best young actor working today by a country mile....He's destined to be a legendary actor. He's perfectly suited for Bond. Perhaps a tiny bit young right now, but not by the time Bond 26 starts.....He reminds me a lot of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Also, his family is French, so the whole American thing is mitigated against anyway. Plus, we have had an American Batman and Superman. So we can live with this...

I can actually see it, particularly with a bit more age.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don’t think that’s gonna happen @Pierce2Daniel You seem to be ‘calling it now’ on a lot of actors, I’m not really sure where your suggestions are at tbh.

Also I dont think Chalamet, while a great actor, will ever be James Bond. At least not the next one, but I don’t think at all. He’s way too young and way too overexposed as an actor. Plus, he’s now in Dune, which is a planned franchise and he is too far from who Bond is - currently and probably still in a few years.

And ah I see @NickTwentyTwo I never felt Owen fit with that bracket so that’s probably why I was perplexed by your correction but I see what you’re saying now.
    Also, his family is French, so the whole American thing is mitigated against anyway.

Y....you do know all white Americans have European ancestry right? If Chalamet is exonerated so are all Americans.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 he probably means because Chalamet is first generation American, so he's much closer to his French heritage.

I could see it, seems like EON love pulling award-winners for their films. Also, by all accounts, I understand he is a truly incredible actor.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think the Brosnan/Callum resemblance is something to do with the eyes....not necessarily full resemblance, right? @Denbigh
    I guess it’s back to the whole thing where Terence Young (was it?) watched Connery striding down the street after his audition and said he ‘walked like a panther’. I don’t think that’s something you could ever say of Dalton.

Can't help but think of Rob Brydon on QI whenever I hear the "walked like a panther" comment:

Ha! That’s great. I like the confidence with which Fry says Fleming was present whereas I really doubt that’s true :D

I've only read a few lines about it, but can't remember if Fleming was mentioned or not. Maybe someone knows more about Connery's audition?

On the subject of walk, I've always liked the way Lazenby walked in OHMSS.

Fleming wasn t there.

Thanks for the info, @Thunderfinger!
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 he probably means because Chalamet is first generation American, so he's much closer to his French heritage.

I could see it, seems like EON love pulling award-winners for their films. Also, by all accounts, I understand he is a truly incredible actor.

It's still so dumb. I doubt his first gen status has anything to do with his acting talent. If he was the same calibre of actor but fifth gen would he be disqualified?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ok yeah @talos7, you’ve really lost me on how Chalamet would be a better fit? I can’t see how anyone could deny Callum Turner as a candidate, and then go and think Chalamet has potential... in all honesty.

And yeah @GadgetMan, they’re not the spitting image of one another, I just think they lookalike more than Callum and Clive Owen do.

It's still so dumb. I doubt his first gen status has anything to do with his acting talent. If he was the same calibre of actor but fifth gen would he be disqualified?

I don’t think anyone’s saying his cultural heritage and acting ability have anything to do with one another. I’d like to think that an incredible actor, regardless of cultural heritage (American included), could potentially have a shot at Bond, provided everything else fits (age, looks, etc).
    I’d raver have Chalamet than Callum Turner; Chalamet is striking and handsome, and has an edge; Callum IMO looks goofy.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,980
    Ok yeah @talos7, you’ve really lost me on how Chalamet would be a better fit? I can’t see how anyone could deny Callum Turner as a candidate, and then go and think Chalamet has potential... in all honesty.

Chalamet has an intensity to his look that C Turner just doesn’t possess. Take that second photo, add 5 years , give him a haircut and you have a Bond for a new generation. The potential is there.

Edit, I just saw he’s American , disqualified...
    Chalamet is a terrific actor. Probably the best young actor of his generation. He's destined for great great things, for which I think he has already accomplished.

Perhaps Bond 26 will be hitting the 'hard reboot' button. In which case, they may very well go for a story where we see a young Bond earn his 00. Essentially taking the PTS of CR and making it a 2-hour movie.

For instance, CR was Bond's first mission. Perhaps the next reboot would see the mission that preceded it? But obviously set in 2022/23 (or whenever it is made).

Plus, Chalamet is French!

He does a terrific English accent in The King to boot. He has that byronic/heroic quality to him. Plus something surly and brooding in his vibe....By 2022/23, he could well be ready

sub-buzz-4515-1576266846-7.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    With a different role, I could see Chalamet having more potential. But with James Bond and the next James Bond at that? I don’t think Chalamet would even get an audition. Maybe Bond 8 but I don’t know about the next guy. I think that would only be the case if Bond 26 was delayed by longer than just five years.
    Actually agree with all of this @Pierce2Daniel. Shame some would disqualify him because of where his house is.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Thinking about it realistically, as left-field a choice I think it is compared to others, it would really depend on the success of Dune, and whether the trilogy that’s been suggested for that is gonna happen. It’s the same reason as Pattinson, with both being potentially huge franchise movies for both actors that would probably stop them from being 007.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Chalamet is truly excellent in The King, if anyone hasn't seen it. When he's got a proper haircut he looks far more appropriate for Bond than in these pictures too. Whether people will take to him, or whether he is just too feminine, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be completely against the idea of rebooting with him in the role.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247

And yeah @GadgetMan, they’re not the spitting image of one another, I just think they lookalike more than Callum and Clive Owen do.

Exactly, I see what you mean.

To be perfectly honest, none of these options do anything for me.
    I want this man for B26...........the potential is there..............

timothydalton.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Before I go any further, can I just point out that this is not a spoiler thread, so: NO SPOILERS PLEASE. If you've heard anything about NTTD that might spoil the ending or big things in it, this is not the thread for it please. Keep those in spoiler threads.
    Chalamet is truly excellent in The King, if anyone hasn't seen it. When he's got a proper haircut he looks far more appropriate for Bond than in these pictures too. Whether people will take to him, or whether he is just too feminine, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be completely against the idea of rebooting with him in the role.

He's a name I've heard a lot about but I must admit I don't think I've seen him in anything. But if he's as good as folk say then I'm onboard: I'd prefer English but as we're on our second British Batman and Spider-Man now it's hard to be too defensive about it! :D He certainly looks a good-looking guy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, none of these options do anything for me.
    I want this man for B26...........the potential is there..............

timothydalton.jpg

He's 74. It's really not.
    I don't know about anybody else but I can't help and look at some of these new names, notably Callum Turner and Stuart Martin, as well as older names like Aiden Turner and Luke Evans, and feel a sort of hope about the possibilities for future Bonds. Some of these guys really have something, certainly not any of the more famous names who either can't act (Cavill) or need far too much stretching of the imagination to make it work (Hiddleston, Hoult).

The trouble is most Bond actors have done something that made them obvious for Bond beforehand (The Saint, Remington Steele, L4yer Cake), but those roles seem to be pretty rare, and British films rarely stand out as much as L4yer Cake (not a particularly great film outside of its star).

I think most fans want someone who can be Bond right now while still being young enough that they can wait a couple of years to take the role. But we don't know when it's even going to be possible to make films again, so maybe its better to be anxious about there not being a perfect Bond than how long it will take before large groups can work closely together again.
    Before I go any further, can I just point out that this is not a spoiler thread, so: NO SPOILERS PLEASE. If you've heard anything about NTTD that might spoil the ending or big things in it, this is not the thread for it please. Keep those in spoiler threads.

He's a name I've heard a lot about but I must admit I don't think I've seen him in anything. But if he's as good as folk say then I'm onboard: I'd prefer English but as we're on our second British Batman and Spider-Man now it's hard to be too defensive about it! :D He certainly looks a good-looking guy.

Thanks for the head's up. I've edited my post!

I find it interesting that people are more onboard with Chamalet than I expected. I genuinely felt that I was going to endure the slings and arrows. I think his talent is unmistakeable.

He is young and he does look young. That could be a problem as he is 25. Nonetheless, he has the right look and if Bond 26 does come in 2023 or 2024, he'd be 27-28. So you'd have to do a 'Young Bond' film. If that is the story, then he should be considered. If they just reboot with an actor in his mid 30's, well then Chalamet wouldn't cut it yet.

Timothee-Chalamet-2019-Golden-Globes-Photo-Shoot-007.jpg
    original.jpg
    517db14692c1cee938bde2fa7b400fbd.gif
    tumblr_pl0ug5fqby1xmq3jro1_250.gifv
    tumblr_pnqt1ml1lv1y4ebdmo1_1280.jpg
    DJ9v6QmWsAgXviZ.jpg
    DM7eVrHW4AA_kcf.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else but I can't help and look at some of these new names, notably Callum Turner and Stuart Martin, as well as older names like Aiden Turner and Luke Evans, and feel a sort of hope about the possibilities for future Bonds. Some of these guys really have something, certainly not any of the more famous names who either can't act (Cavill) or need far too much stretching of the imagination to make it work (Hiddleston, Hoult).

The trouble is most Bond actors have done something that made them obvious for Bond beforehand (The Saint, Remington Steele, L4yer Cake), but those roles seem to be pretty rare, and British films rarely stand out as much as L4yer Cake (not a particularly great film outside of its star).

I think most fans want someone who can be Bond right now while still being young enough that they can wait a couple of years to take the role. But we don't know when it's even going to be possible to make films again, so maybe its better to be anxious about there not being a perfect Bond than how long it will take before large groups can work closely together again.
    +1