Benefits of IMAX.

edited May 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 366
Skyfall as we all know will be the first Bond film to be shown at IMAX cinemas.

Will it be the first Bond film to get a 7.1 audio mix? Not a lot of films have used the technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround_7.1

Comments

I too would like to know the advantages of Skyfall in imax, whats the difference ? why am I even asking this question, ill just Google the goddamn question
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The major things I've noticed are the bigger screen and better projection quality. The soundtrack mix is also more immersive, with speakers behind the screen, in front of and behind the viewer. That makes it worth it in itself for me!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It isn't 3D. :)
    Not in 3D. That's all that matters :)
    I dread the day that Bond goes...well...the way of Satan
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    1) Audio
    2) Less likely to be attended by people who break the cinema code of conduct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JamesPage wrote:
    1) Audio

I wish that list was legitimate for all areas. I recently saw a film that had a ton of kids in it, texting away, talking, etc. It's just disgusting. I think if any of these codes are broken, you should immediately be ejected from the theater, with no refund allotted.
    Not in 3D. That's all that matters :)
    I dread the day that Bond goes...well...the way of Satan

Seconded
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,160
    I like my IMAX 3D documentaries. Wouldn't mind seeing Bond in 3D for once, as long as it is filmed with depth in mind and not the gimmicky pop-out effects. But then again it wouldn't be in 2.35.1, which I have always thought was the proper format for Bond movies.
    The sooner 3D isn't pretty much standard the better. The GI Joe sequel has been moved to 2013 to make way for a 3D conversion. I wasn't exactly counting down the days for it, but still, what a dumb thing to do after already releasing 2 trailers for it.
    The sooner 3D isn't pretty much standard the better.

So Is that for 3D or against It?
    I'm very firmly against 3D. Went to see The Avengers in 3D, cost me $21.50 (Australian) for an adult ticket, and the first 10 minutes the 3D didn't match up, they had to restart it. It's a gimmick and a way to boost box office takings.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,399
    i am also against 3D.... but i am for IMAX.... you feel more immersed in an IMAX movie than you do in 3D - with it's curved screen and wide aspect ratio - it lends to your peripherals better... 3D films try to trick you in feeling that way, by adding depth and having crap fly out at you - but you're still constrained to the screen with the effects, and after a while, it does start to strain your eyes - whether it was shot in 3D or converted to it later - our eyes weren't meant to have crap projected at them in that way...

not to mention, up-converting films to 3D, is very costly - and films don't do as well, as if they just stuck to the standard format...

some people will try and convince you that 3D is the next step in the evolution of entertainment and cinema... i beg to differ... when films added sound, color - it felt like it was warranted, or necessitated... with 3D, they tried in 50s... again in the 80s... sporadically in the 90s, and now it's back with a vengeance... it's a gimmick - one that has now spread over into television (ick) - no one asked for 3D to return, i know i don't want it.. and i also don't want to pay freakin' $15 to go see a movie, when i can go down to see the Cleveland Indians play for cheaper.... its a cash grab hollywood marketing gimmick that has disgustingly lasted too long, and is running film into the ground, IMO
    Virage wrote:
    The sooner 3D isn't pretty much standard the better.

So Is that for 3D or against It?

Against it obviously!
    HASEROT wrote:
    i am also against 3D.... but i am for IMAX.... you feel more immersed in an IMAX movie than you do in 3D
    Huh? Most new IMAX movies are shot and shown in 3D.
  • RC7RC7
    @Zekidk Not all. Watching a 2D film on IMAX is the perfect way to view IMO. Most are not shot on IMAX either, Nolan is the forerunner with the medium.
    RC7 wrote:
    @Zekidk Not all.
    Oh, really? Here's proof:
    http://www.imax.com/movies/?page=show_all&view=list
    Personally, I couldn't care less about movies in 3D. Pixar/Disney works okay though. All I'm saying is that IMAX 3D documentaries, like Born to be Wild, Hubble etc, are a blast to watch in 3D, and that these documentaries for the most part, are shot and shown in 3D. Sadly the movie industry gives 3D a bad rep with all the poor 2D>3D conversions.
    Remember that SkyFall isn't shot in IMAX, parts maybe i'm not sure, but being that it has been shot digitally it makes it a lot easier to convert to the impressive IMAX format!! Which seeing SkyFall in IMAX will be pretty awesome i'm sure!! BFI Waterloo London is my screen of choice, totally outstanding IMAX theater and presentation! :-B
  • RC7RC7
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    @Zekidk Not all.

Not sure what your point is? The studio films are not shot in IMAX. I do agree the docs are the best in 3D. Naturally they go for quality over B.O. which is where the problem lies.

RC7 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    @Zekidk Not all.
    Not sure what your point is? The studio films are not shot in IMAX.
    I was referring to the excellent documentaries which are shot using IMAX 3D cameras. Just because a movie is shown in an IMAX theatre after having been converted, it doesn't - for me - make it an "IMAX movie." That's sort of like cheating, like the 2D>3D conversions.
    "Across the sea of time" Full fat 3D IMAX Filmed documentary, and a John Barry score, what else could you want!!! :-B
  • RC7RC7
    Zekidk wrote:
    Just because a movie is shown in an IMAX theatre after having been converted, it doesn't - for me - make it an "IMAX movie."

That's what I was saying, I think we're in agreement.
    RC7 wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Just because a movie is shown in an IMAX theatre after having been converted, it doesn't - for me - make it an "IMAX movie."

That's what I was saying, I think we're in agreement.

Chill out you two, its the IMAX experience that most of us seek!! True IMAX films are usually documentaries, with SkyFall it will be converted to IMAX using the very latest technology to give us a truly great Bond IMAX cinema thrill! Cant wait! :-B
    "The very latest technology" also gaves us Titanic and other crappy 3D movies, LOL
  • RC7RC7
    MrEon wrote:
    Chill out you two, its the IMAX experience that most of us seek!!

I don't think we were arguing.
    Zekidk wrote:
    "The very latest technology" also gaves us Titanic and other crappy 3D movies, LOL

Yes indeed, but...its the film you choose to watch in IMAX which creates the whole experience, and I choose NOT to watch 3D film full stop, even though I've bought into it at home with a Samsung 3D TV and all, mainly for my son who now never watches 3D films also, 2D is far more easy on the eyes!!
    IMAX yes, IMAX 3D on certain Docs, but Bond in IMAX, OH yes please!!
    Now moving on to do some work...!?? :-B
    If a movie not shot in IMAX is converted to IMAX, does that mean they essentially 'stretch' the picture to fit the larger IMAX screen? I would assume not, but would SF appear distorted in IMAX???
    JPinFLA wrote:
    If a movie not shot in IMAX is converted to IMAX, does that mean they essentially 'stretch' the picture to fit the larger IMAX screen? I would assume not, but would SF appear distorted in IMAX???
    The IMAX DRM blowup process which is used for movies not shot using IMAX cameras, like SF, basically amounts to scanning 35mm films to a digital master, upconverting them to higher resolution, and then outputing them onto the larger IMAX film stock.

JamesPage wrote:
    1) Audio

My brother broke most of them rules when we went to see CR!
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    You guys are so lucky!! There aren't any IMAX theatres in my cuntry :(

Oh well, it'll be the good ol' 2D-digital for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You guys are so lucky!! There aren't any IMAX theatres in my cuntry :(

Oh well, it'll be the good ol' 2D-digital for me.

As it should be. Don't feel left out. 2D for life. \m/