Benefits of IMAX.

2»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I absolutely despise 3D. I believe the only one I've seen that was shot for 3D was Avatar, and even then, it just wasn't worth it. And seeing these TV and home video sets that sell for thousands of dollars, just to bring you a 3D experience? No thanks. I can't stand wearing the glasses, I can't stand studios that post-convert their films into 3D (GI Joe: Retaliation and your nine month delay, I'm recently looking at you), and if 3D disappeared from the planet at this very moment, I would be donning a huge smile.

I am upset, though, that I won't really get the chance to see SF in IMAX. I'll be in the middle of my fall semester for college, and the closest theater for me will be the Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum, which is still a couple hours away, and I would need a full weekend off for the trip. Who knows, maybe I'll have the money and take the trip.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy, the film got delayed for nine months just for 3D conversion? Wow...

Long time, ehh? I just read this the other day, and it was slated to be released just this summer. Now, it's going to be nearly a year until we see it. I mean, I'm not entirely heartbroken over the news, for it looked enjoyable, but not fantastic, but I just think that such a delay is a joke, it will be hard to market new material (unless they either give up more and more of the film, and leaving nothing left to the imagination, or they decide to release the same material with 'IN 3D' at the end of it), and it will probably fall off everyone's radar over the next few months.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Long time, ehh? I just read this the other day, and it was slated to be released just this summer. Now, it's going to be nearly a year until we see it. I mean, I'm not entirely heartbroken over the news, for it looked enjoyable, but not fantastic, but I just think that such a delay is a joke, it will be hard to market new material (unless they either give up more and more of the film, and leaving nothing left to the imagination, or they decide to release the same material with 'IN 3D' at the end of it), and it will probably fall off everyone's radar over the next few months.

That had The Rock in it, yes? I recently saw the trailer for it in theatre myself. A shame it is being pulled back for such a reason.
    Yeah, it had The Rock, and I know Bruce Willis has a cameo in it. He seems to be a fan of cameos in big summer blockbusters lately.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    You guys are so lucky!! There aren't any IMAX theatres in my cuntry :(

Oh well, it'll be the good ol' 2D-digital for me.

As it should be. Don't feel left out. 2D for life. \m/

Oh yeah, i'm not crazy about 3D either, I meant the IMAX experience. Guess I wasn't being specific.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The biggest shock for it, was that the film was only a month away, there's so much marketing out there for it's 29th June release. Trailers, posters, TV Spots... What a joke.

There are also reshoots planned.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    edited May 2012 Posts: 443
    I'm really pumped about seeing it in IMAX.

I enjoy treating myself to an IMAX release once a year or so. This year I'll be treating myself to two (TDKR and SF).

It's always been a nice experience and the pre movie laser show they have explaining the IMAX system never gets old for me.

Edit: Here it is!
    nick_007 wrote:
    I'm really pumped about seeing it in IMAX.

I enjoy treating myself to an IMAX release once a year or so. This year I'll be treating myself to two (TDKR and SF).

It's always been a nice experience and the pre movie laser show they have explaining the IMAX system never gets old for me.

I recall that laser show when we went and saw a mini documentary on parachuting and paragliding. I was so interested by that. You are speaking of when they light the screen up and direct you to the internal and external speakers, correct?
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Yes! I found a (low quality) video of it. See above!
    nick_007 wrote:
    Yes! I found a (low quality) video of it. See above!

That's awesome! Makes me want to see SF in IMAX that much more. I haven't been in years.
    I think from now on every Bond film will be in IMAX.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    I hope so. Maybe by next time there'll be one here.
  • Well I saw TDKR in IMAX, first IMAX film I've ever seen, and it looked amazing. I'm all for SF being IMAX.
    I saw TDKR in IMAX and wasn't impressed. Didn't notice any improvements but the ear paining sound increase. But to be honest I didn't care. I was there for the film, and it sucked me in, leaving me to care less about the IMAX. That in of itself is a compliment to the film.
  • i'm so tied as to where to view SF first!!!

I usually go to the 1st Friday screening at the Odeon leicester Square, but would the upscaled imax version at the BFI be much better??
  • I work in the motion picture industry and hopefully I can clarify a few points. SkyFall was NOT shot in Imax, and therefore will not look like The Dark Knight Rises, at least during the Imax sequences which were about 40% of that film. Those scenes were in fact shot with Imax cameras, hence why they blew up to fill the whole screen. But the rest of the film played in a traditional 2.35 aspect ratio as you may recall, and that is essentially what ALL of SkyFall will look like on an Imax screen.

What are the advantages of seeing it in Imax? Well, for starters the picture will be bigger because the screen will be bigger, even though it won't completely fill it up. The sound will also be better than elsewhere since Imax theatres usually have the best sound set-ups in the market. But please understand that the quality of the image will not be as sharp as it was during the Imax sequences of TDKR. You need to shoot with an Imax camera in order to obtain that level of resolution, and SF wasn't shot that way.

Hope this helps anyone.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Thanks for that @wildboonjive

I won't be seeing it in IMAX then. If it's is just going to look like it will at any other cinema but with better sound (and what impressed me about Batman was the visual stuff, not the IMAX sound), then it's not worth the extra cash.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2012 Posts: 4,442
    I saw TDKR in IMAX and wasn't impressed. Didn't notice any improvements but the ear paining sound increase. But to be honest I didn't care. I was there for the film, and it sucked me in, leaving me to care less about the IMAX. That in of itself is a compliment to the film.

One of my first complanes about my first view of CR be that it be to violence/to heavy movie also because of David Arnold and the soundmix there yuse. From what you discribe is a good reasen (besides the € 15,00 you must pay for only 1 ticket) for not watching any movie in Imax or 3D in cinema's. Also mabey there should consider what there already should have done for CR to give it 16+ rank if needed, that's the Dutch R-rank. Iam not realy a much visiter of cinema's. It be normal the firtst minutes you ears must learn the audio and that's why i think it is good we get comercials first who be a bit louder but not yet at the volume of the movie.

QOS whas better experience but stil i hope i can try with Skyfall to go back to a bigger theater room for more distence. I have seen some Imax scene's on the TDK DVD claimd there be in 1.43:1, in my opnion it it is fullscreen why there give it the name 1:43:1 and not 1:33:1. Quistion's who popup by me is: Why not making any movie in 1:43:1 and why there is some love for that whyle there is so much hate for fullscreen better known as 1:33:1 or 1:77:1.

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited September 2012 Posts: 543
    I work in the motion picture industry and hopefully I can clarify a few points. SkyFall was NOT shot in Imax, and therefore will not look like The Dark Knight Rises, at least during the Imax sequences which were about 40% of that film. Those scenes were in fact shot with Imax cameras, hence why they blew up to fill the whole screen. But the rest of the film played in a traditional 2.35 aspect ratio as you may recall, and that is essentially what ALL of SkyFall will look like on an Imax screen.
    I thought the transition from a IMAX scene to 2.35 in TDKR was pretty noticable, and it kinda bother me a bit. I guess I won't have to worry about that with SF. I do like IMAX for better sound, the large screen and comfortable seats.

• I saw TDKR on Odeon (digital) IMAX and at the BFI IMAX screen in London.
    Both occasions were absolutely superb with bigger screens and marvelous sound.
    The BFI was 'true' IMAX and when it came to the parts that were filmed with Imax cameras, you actually felt a part of the screen, but even though Skyfall wasn't shot in this manner (we can hope for the future) I will certainly watch it on the biggest loudest venue I can find, just for the experience.
  • The BFI says that Skyfall will be shown in 15/70 and NOT digital. Confused :(
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,619
    RyanKint wrote:
    The BFI says that Skyfall will be shown in 15/70 and NOT digital. Confused :(

Skyfall was shot in digital but is converted to 15/70 so they can show it in non-digital Imax cinemas.

Original digital version of Skyfall -> 4 different kind of copies (as far as I know):
    1. 35 mm copy
    2. digital copy
    3. digital IMAX copy
    4. 70 mm IMAX copy

The cinematographer Roger Deakins said in a recent video that he prefers the digital IMAX version of Skfall to the 70 mm IMAX film version of the film, but BFI IMAX will show the 70 mm film version since it is generally supposed to be superior to digital IMAX.
  • So SF won't have any IMAX scenes rather just be projected across a larger screen?
  • ohohfive wrote:
    So SF won't have any IMAX scenes rather just be projected across a larger screen?

That's correct. And the reason being that it was not shot in that format.
  • I have a question about IMAX, not the technical aspect but for how long a movie is screened at IMAX theaters? We don't have any of them here in Sweden so I've got no clue.. Cause I'm going to London early december and wonder if I have any chance of seeing it in IMAX. :D
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I have a question about IMAX, not the technical aspect but for how long a movie is screened at IMAX theaters? We don't have any of them here in Sweden so I've got no clue.. Cause I'm going to London early december and wonder if I have any chance of seeing it in IMAX. :D

Normally it's 4 weeks per film that's allowed. So until Thursday 22nd November would be my guess. I don't think you'll make it, sorry.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 127
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I have a question about IMAX, not the technical aspect but for how long a movie is screened at IMAX theaters? We don't have any of them here in Sweden so I've got no clue.. Cause I'm going to London early december and wonder if I have any chance of seeing it in IMAX. :D

Normally it's 4 weeks per film that's allowed. So until Thursday 22nd November would be my guess. I don't think you'll make it, sorry.

Thanks for the information! I've timed my trip very wrong in terms of a IMAX visit, too late for Skyfall and too soon for The Hobbit...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 74
    I'm going to see it at the IMAX in Kingston so really looking forward to it. The only film I've seen in proper IMAX (not any of the derivatives like 'IMAX digital') is The Dark Knight Rises and it was spectacular.