Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Belgium: no festivals until august 31.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 70
    Article just posted from New York magazine about the impact of Covid-19 on Hollywood and the movie industry. While it (inexplicably) doesn't mention NTTD being the first movie to move due to the virus, it does go into extreme detail about many of the issues being discussed in this forum in recent days, ie: production delays, cinema and streaming profits, and how studios will go forward after this.
    “We have to write off 2020. It’s already the year that didn’t happen,” says one top agent at one of the town’s powerhouse firms who, like everyone reached by Vulture for this story, requested anonymity due to sensitivities surrounding ongoing business endeavors. “We’re not going to make any money because there are no revenues with TV and movies not getting made. Anyone who says that everything is not totally f***** is lying. Everything has changed in what we do.” ...

An entertainment lawyer who works in tandem with agents from all of Hollywood’s biggest firms to close deals for a top-tier clientele of performers and creatives reflected on the industry agita. “If this goes on for another month, I don’t know how people are going to survive,” he says. “All actors have stopped working; there are no productions to go to. You can’t set foot on a movie set, so that takes directors out of the game. If a new TV show is delayed, it might not ever come back. We’re losing all revenue for the quarter. But really, this is years and years of work going out the window.”

The lawyer adds: “The worry is that things may never go back to normal.”

{Crossposting this in the NTTD production forum too.}
    There is serious talk in the U.S. now about not opening up cinemas until late 2021 or even 2022.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    There is serious talk in the U.S. now about not opening up cinemas until late 2021 or even 2022.

I don't believe that. But let's blame the WHO. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690

I think that is way too early to tell/be decided, but I believe there is a strong possibility that no new movies will be released (except Netflix/Amazon films) until 2021. Meaning everything from Black Widow, Wonder Woman 1984, Tenet, Dune, A Quiet Place 2, No Time To Die, Top Gun 2, etc would be delayed to next year.
  • CraterGuns wrote: »

I suspect cinemas may stay closed until a vaccine arrives unless they adopt stringent social distancing measures which will still have an adverse affect on box office.

I suspect cinemas may stay closed until a vaccine arrives unless they adopt stringent social distancing measures which will still have an adverse affect on box office.

Unless we really want to risk a second wave of the outbreak, many cultural/sporting/non-essential sectors of the economy will have to remain closed at least until the end of 2020/early 2021. That would mean no movies or any kind of big sporting events anywhere for the rest of the year, bar esports events and movies released on Blu-Ray/VOD/streaming.

Some lockdowns in Europe will be eased-off in early/mid May, so we'll have a clearer picture by then of just how much of the economy will have to remain closed to avoid a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic. I would also not rule out a second period of world-wide lockdowns in the last few months of 2020.

That's exactly it.

Yesterday, the mayors of America's biggest cities, New York & Los Angeles, were more or less laying the groundwork for slow, gradual, phased reopenings of businesses there.

L.A.'s mayor said that businesses that engender large communal gatherings of customers -- festivals, concerts, sporting events, conventions, and cinemas -- would be dead last in any phased reopening.

That's exactly it.

Yesterday, the mayors of America's biggest cities, New York & Los Angeles, were more or less laying the groundwork for slow, gradual, phased reopenings of businesses there.

L.A.'s mayor said that businesses that engender large communal gatherings of customers -- festivals, concerts, sporting events, conventions, and cinemas -- would be dead last in any phased reopening.

I am very worried that the U.S. is going to cause the second wave of the outbreak. There seems to be no end in sight given how narrow-minded politicians are handling the situation, focused only on the short-term.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 616

I don't know anything about the mayor of L.A., but Bill de Blasio -- the mayor of NYC -- is a clown and doesn't know what he's doing, frequently making claims that clash with the state governor's intended directives.

As Gov. Cuomo has said for the last few days during his press conferences, the process of re-opening (from the sounds of it, still a long way off) will ultimately be decided by Cuomo and a coalition of governors from the New York Tri-State area and beyond (Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc). Even Trump, after making stupid and unconstitutional remarks to the press about how he had "total control" of re-opening, finally conceded to Cuomo and the other governors.

So de Blasio better get his act together and stop shooting his mouth off, because, combined with Trump's garbage, it's become scary and confusing to New Yorkers.
    This past week, 3.3 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits. This is the all-time highest unemployment rate in US history. The previous record was set in 1982, when unemployment claims hit 695,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52050426

As feared, the global economy will be left in very, very bad shape from the coronavirus.
    The US has once again obliterated their all-time highest unemployment rate, as this past week 6.6 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html
    A further 6.6 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. That makes for a total of 16 million jobs lost in the United States in the past 3 weeks. For comparison, the 2008 financial crisis accounted for a total 9 million jobs lost, over a much longer period (18 months).

Another 5.5 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of nearly 22 million jobs lost in the United States in the last month. This is nearly 32 times than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/jobless-claims-hovered-at-5-2-million-last-week-over-21-million-have-filed-for-unemployment-in-pandemic

----

140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).

If the current death rate does not slow down, we will reach 200,000 deaths by next Friday, 14 days after reaching 100,000 deaths. It took 92 days to go from 1 fatality to 100,000 fatalities.

EDIT: The USA now has the sad distinction of being the only country above 30,000 deaths from coronavirus.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that some countries may end up suspending their lockdown measures a tad too soon. A "normalization rebound" could be the start of a worse, second wave.

My biggest concern is the same as yours, only more specifically about a certain country with a certain president who is more worried about an upcoming election in November than the ongoing virus. I do not wish to enter a political debate but the short-term views & goals of modern politics is likely to make our fight against coronavirus much more difficult than planned. This could all well be over after the summer if everyone dedicated the next 4 months to a world-wide effort to fight the virus. As a 29 years old, 4 months is just over 1.1% of my lifespan so far.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I don't believe that. But let's blame the WHO. ;)

Now-now-now, folks... we're getting too close to political commentary. Can't have that now, can we?
  • Escalus5 wrote: »

I don't know anything about the mayor of L.A., but Bill de Blasio -- the mayor of NYC -- is a clown and doesn't know what he's doing, frequently making claims that clash with the state governor's intended directives.

As Gov. Cuomo has said for the last few days during his press conferences, the process of re-opening (from the sounds of it, still a long way off) will ultimately be decided by Cuomo and a coalition of governors from the New York Tri-State area and beyond (Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc). Even Trump, after making stupid and unconstitutional remarks to the press about how he had "total control" of re-opening, finally conceded to Cuomo and the other governors.

So de Blasio better get his act together and stop shooting his mouth off, because, combined with Trump's garbage, it's become scary and confusing to New Yorkers.

And again. Don't we all know that political commentary is verboten here?

Sorry, just a bit of snark. My apologies. But in all honesty, it seems to me that it's impossible to really discuss this topic without the political element being present to some small degree. Case in point: the great state of Michigan, where right-wing protestors are willing to blockade hospitals and roadways in general in order to urge their governor to lift that state's shelter-in-place order. As much as I'd like for the medical professionals to have charge of this issue, that just isn't likely to be the case for very long. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/16/michigan-whitmer-conservatives-protest/
    China has just updated their death-toll from the Wuhan region. They have added 1,300 deaths that had not been counted before.
  • China has just updated their death-toll from the Wuhan region. They have added 1,300 deaths that had not been counted before.

We're going to see a lot of upward revisions as health officials take note of the higher than average mortality rates over the last few weeks not being accounted for with official hospital death counts, as evidenced by this chart from Ed Conway:

EVjqvflXkAMtmoE.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs whilst some people may be able to discuss politics without issue, sadly as a whole we cannot. It has been proven time and again, that politics and religion are two topics that just don’t agree with this forum.
    Yes, there are obviously political elements too the Corona virus. But it’s not something that can be discussed rationally or sensibly.
    So yes politics and Corona virus are something that will obvious happen together.
    But I have stressed over and over, that this thread is not going to become yet another slanging match as too why Trump, or Boris or whoever are doing us all wrong.
    It would be appreciated if we could let this go.
  • Benny wrote: »
    It would be appreciated if we could let this go.

Ah, don't mind me. I just like to tease some times. And I can't understand why anybody would think that blockading a hospital's emergency entrance is going to help the situation.
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remarkable...........

• patb wrote: »
    Remarkable...........

And somehow not at all non-political... ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    patb wrote: »
    Remarkable...........

And somehow not at all non-political... ;)

I still say Coronavirus and Politics are inextricably linked. It may be first and foremost a health issue, but the reason we're still discussing Coronavirus at all is due to politics. It's a fools errand to create one thread for Politics, and hope that all political discussion fits into it all neat and tidy.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    America is doomed.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Shardlake wrote: »
    America is doomed.

Yup. Which sucks for us as well, given how linked we are. Maybe we can take Britain's spot in the EU. ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Italian politicians are planning the fall of the current government and PM Conte in order to create a "Government of Unity" with technicians as ministers and possibly Mario Draghi (ex-president of the European Central Bank (ECB) as PM. Those are just (strong) rumors now but given the chaos within the government in a month or two it will happen. It worked in 2012, it will work now. I don't see how the country could enter Phase 2 against this bloody virus with such a weak government*... speaking about potentially being doomed.

2/3 of the current government are from M5S, which was worth a 10/12% in the last European elections...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,623
    Shardlake wrote: »
    America is doomed.

This quote comes to mind:
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    -Issac Asimov, 1980

….not as political as Linda Thorson's twitter page, but......
    Germany's daily new cases figures are worryingly increasing, especially since they are starting to ease their lockdown measures. 2082 new infections on April 13th, 2486 on the 14th, 2866 on the 15th, 3380 on the 16th and 3609 on the 17th. 4 consecutive days of rising.
    One unexpected side effect of the current crisis was the return of something I hadn't seen since the 70s : the sunday afternoon movie on TV. That sunday afternoon tradition had stopped in the seventies when a law aimed at helping movie theaters had been voted by the parliament here in France. Now, given that TV can't produce live shows, said shows have been replaced by movies. Franch theater movies which, granted, have already been aired multiple times, but still...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,687
    Germany's daily new cases figures are worryingly increasing, especially since they are starting to ease their lockdown measures. 2082 new infections on April 13th, 2486 on the 14th, 2866 on the 15th, 3380 on the 16th and 3609 on the 17th. 4 consecutive days of rising.
    This has more to do with a backlog of registration than with an actual increase. The Robert Koch Institute (the top federal authority on epidemics) shows this on their own dashboard (similar to the one by JUH): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4/page/page_1/ . You can see the pattern at every previous weekend, just not with a double public holiday. There's always a spike in the middle of the week.

In the graphic on the lower right hand, the yellow headline means "transmission delay, see disclaimer" (at the bottom). After a weekend, the new numbers are added (yellow), but they do not necessarily belong to that date. Last week was Easter Weekend with four non-working days (for most people) in a row, and it was to be expected that numbers after that would rise. They're still down an average of 38 per cent over the previous week, see https://spiegel.de/ daily, somewhere a bit down the start page. And yes, I am also skeptical what will happen to those figures with further relaxation, but we'll see.