matt_u wrote: »
    Stark wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Cary also put to rest the idea that they're editing/re-shooting. He said something like that is costly-- yes, even on a Bond film. Secondly he discussed any project can be tinkered with, to what end. He said that NTTD is perfect as is, it's a great film, and it was his hope that others will feel the same.

Exactly. Fukunaga himself basically shut down all that nonsense regarding potential reshoot/trimming/further polishing: NTTD is locked, 100% finished and the director is 100% happy with it.

The movie is great as it is.

K1CLJVb.jpg

They have a director like Fukunaga and they don't give him time to perfect the film... Shameful. I imagine he wants to improve some special effects but that costs too much money.

You’re totally misinterpreting his words. Creative people can work on their projects endlessly, because they will always find something to change or something to improve. It’s inherent in their nature. For me, as an architect, is basically the same. But this is not how things work. He finished his film on schedule, he was happy with it and he was ready to share it with the audiences. There’s nothing shameful. Nothing.

It's just that I have no trust in the producers. If someone like Fukunaga asks for more time and a little more money, give it to him ! If the film is great I will be frustrated if some details like the special effects are imperfect because the producers wanted to make as much profit as possible.
    The producers don’t have magic pockets with unlimited amounts of money. That’s not how this business works.

If Fukunaga asks for 50 million more ok, but I don't think that's the case.

Making a Bond film is a punch. A marathon. It’s always been like this. They finished the film on schedule, Cary said “It is great as it is” and that’s it.

I hope you're right, but I'm curious to know the improvements Fukunaga would have wanted.

None. Please stop trolling, thank you.

Wtf ? Where do you see trolling in my comments ?
  • StarkStark France
    Cary also put to rest the idea that they're editing/re-shooting. He said something like that is costly-- yes, even on a Bond film. Secondly he discussed any project can be tinkered with, to what end. He said that NTTD is perfect as is, it's a great film, and it was his hope that others will feel the same.

Exactly. Fukunaga himself basically shut down all that nonsense regarding potential reshoot/trimming/further polishing: NTTD is locked, 100% finished and the director is 100% happy with it.

K1CLJVb.jpg

They have a director like Fukunaga and they don't give him time to perfect the film... Shameful. I imagine he wants to improve some special effects but that costs too much money.

You’re totally misinterpreting his words. Creative people can work on their projects endlessly, because they will always find something to change or something to improve. It’s inherent in their nature. For me, as an architect, is basically the same. But this is not how things work. He finished his film on schedule, he was happy with it and he was ready to share it with the audiences. There’s nothing shameful. Nothing.

It's just that I have no trust in the producers. If someone like Fukunaga asks for more time and a little more money, give it to him ! If the film is great I will be frustrated if some details like the special effects are imperfect because the producers wanted to make as much profit as possible.
    The producers don’t have magic pockets with unlimited amounts of money. That’s not how this business works.

Making a Bond film is a punch. A marathon. It’s always been like this. They finished the film on schedule, Cary said “It is great as it is” and that’s it.

I hope you're right, but I'm curious to know the improvements Fukunaga would have wanted.

Way back in college, I got some advice from a guest speaker surrounding redrafting scripts that I have carried with me ever since, and I think is applicable here with the notion of re-editing and re-shooting:

There are often circumstances where a writer gets some time to tinker around and mess with a previous draft of a script. The previous draft is fairly on the money; all the beats are hit efficiently; the storytelling is economic but exciting. It's a winner. It'll be a great film in the hands of a good director. The writer has full confidence in it.

But there's something niggling away in the back of the writer's mind; "What if I tried this instead?" or "What if I moved this to here?" or "What if this character says this here?". Being a perfectionist, he can't help himself. He makes changes, tweaks the dialogue, moves things around. Even small things make a big difference.

Soon, what was once an efficient, strong screenplay is now a bit more muddled, a bit more overexplanatory, a bit less impactful. It's still the same, for the most part, it just lands a bit different. The writer had all the best intentions, he thought he was making the script better.

But it's not always the case. That is the unfortunate side effect of being a perfectionist. You are never finished.

Cary undoubtedly would have had ideas for things to tweak (I'm sure they were interesting too), but I think (or at least I hope) that his comments on his Instagram post mean we are in for a script like the previous draft in my scenario above, and not the latter.

I hope you're right, but Fukunaga's comment on money ("short answer is money") and the short post-production window worry me a bit, even if I am confident about the quality of the film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

K1CLJVb.jpg

Way back in college, I got some advice from a guest speaker surrounding redrafting scripts that I have carried with me ever since, and I think is applicable here with the notion of re-editing and re-shooting:

There are often circumstances where a writer gets some time to tinker around and mess with a previous draft of a script. The previous draft is fairly on the money; all the beats are hit efficiently; the storytelling is economic but exciting. It's a winner. It'll be a great film in the hands of a good director. The writer has full confidence in it.

But there's something niggling away in the back of the writer's mind; "What if I tried this instead?" or "What if I moved this to here?" or "What if this character says this here?". Being a perfectionist, he can't help himself. He makes changes, tweaks the dialogue, moves things around. Even small things make a big difference.

Soon, what was once an efficient, strong screenplay is now a bit more muddled, a bit more overexplanatory, a bit less impactful. It's still the same, for the most part, it just lands a bit different. The writer had all the best intentions, he thought he was making the script better.

But it's not always the case. That is the unfortunate side effect of being a perfectionist. You are never finished.

Cary undoubtedly would have had ideas for things to tweak (I'm sure they were interesting too), but I think (or at least I hope) that his comments on his Instagram post mean we are in for a script like the previous draft in my scenario above, and not the latter.

I hope you're right, but Fukunaga's comment on money ("short answer is money") and the short post-production window worry me a bit, even if I am confident about the quality of the film.

The post-production window for No Time To Die is one of the longest we've had in twenty-five years though, if I'm not mistaken. The film wrapped in October and they finished post in March. That's a hefty schedule.
    I only read half of the leaked story. It sounds good not great or magnificent. Hoping I’m wrong.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

K1CLJVb.jpg

The post-production window for No Time To Die is one of the longest we've had in twenty-five years though, if I'm not mistaken. The film wrapped in October and they finished post in March. That's a hefty schedule.

It's time that he gets tucked in for the night.
    Any other info about this January date? I haven't been able to find anything online
    ertert wrote: »
    Any other info about this January date? I haven't been able to find anything online

Sigh, because it's not going to happen. At least not for now.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The article has now been fixed to say...…….November!
    Samuel001 wrote: »

Hey that's .... sort of... more like it
  • StarkStark France

K1CLJVb.jpg

Yes that remains a correct window, but my concern is especially for the soundtrack and the special effects (particularly those of Q's plane in the air and in the water).
  • StarkStark France
    edited April 2020 Posts: 177
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I only read half of the leaked story. It sounds good not great or magnificent. Hoping I’m wrong.

It's a simple Bondian story but I prefer that to an unnecessarily complex story like Spectre with a lot of characters / intrigues to develop.

Hey Samuel, it's been a very long time, how are you? :-h
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

K1CLJVb.jpg

Have you listened to the fantastic podcast where Chris MacQuarrie talks about making the recent Mission Impossibles, and he says how the break where Cruise broke his ankle really helped him get the script in shape and the film in a much better position. So I guess it can work both ways.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Variety mention that “No Time to Die,” was scheduled to open in April, but has been postponed until January due to the coronavirus pandemic.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mgm-buys-ridley-scott-lady-gaga-true-crime-drama-about-gucci-family-1234574500/

It is hidden in an article about a rather fantastic-sounding Ridley Scott film about Gucci. So it could be a misprint or a small little update that NTTD will depart its planned November release and move to 2021....

Makes me sad.

giphy.gif

Variety do seem to make these sort of cock ups quite a lot. Didn't they announce that Harrison Ford had said the new Indiana Jones movie started filming 'next week' but Ford had actually said 'next few months' or something?
    It might be true but then they might also have made another mistake.

Maybe they pre-empted an EON press release? They usually release information through the official channels at 5PM UK time.

Unlikely, definitely feels like a mistake.

Not sure I'd count it out just yet.....the same journalist, Brent Lang also dates MGM's new Gucci film for Thanksgiving 2021. No other publication has mentioned that date. Seems Variety are getting dates directly from MGM.

So it looks like it could be true....

Uh, no - THR has that date too and they broke the story, they're the ones who got it from MGM. And they say November for Bond so. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-buys-ridley-scotts-gucci-film-lady-gaga-set-star-1289108

That date was added after the Variety report...

I checked on Google: NOBODY is talking about a new release date.

Agreed I couldn't find anything. Really hope this was a mistake. Just seems far too early to delay it again. If we saw this article in July/August I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Yeah I don't trust Variety with this sort of thing:
    https://variety.com/2019/scene/news/harrison-ford-star-wars-disneyland-indiana-jones-reboot-1203231130/

Correction: An earlier version of this story quoted Ford saying filming on the “Indiana Jones” reboot will begin next week. Filming will begin next year.

K1CLJVb.jpg

Have you listened to the fantastic podcast where Chris MacQuarrie talks about making the recent Mission Impossibles, and he says how the break where Cruise broke his ankle really helped him get the script in shape and the film in a much better position. So I guess it can work both ways.

It absolutely can work both ways, correct. There is no 100% correct answer when it comes to writing, or filmmaking for that matter. I was just offering up that analogy in terms of Fukanaga's comments, specifically, and why it might not be a good thing to tinker with the film all the way between now and release. But yes, the last Mission film is a good example of the flipside of that coin. But, to try tie it together, I'm sure McQuarrie would still go back and do certain things on Fallout differently if given the option - but they might not necessarily make the film better!

Someone asked him on Twitter a few months back "When will the script for Mission Impossible 7 be finished?" and I believe his answer was "Probably the day that Mission Impossible 8 is released."

Made me laugh.
    Variety mention that “No Time to Die,” was scheduled to open in April, but has been postponed until January due to the coronavirus pandemic.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mgm-buys-ridley-scott-lady-gaga-true-crime-drama-about-gucci-family-1234574500/

It is hidden in an article about a rather fantastic-sounding Ridley Scott film about Gucci. So it could be a misprint or a small little update that NTTD will depart its planned November release and move to 2021....

Makes me sad.

giphy.gif

Variety do seem to make these sort of cock ups quite a lot. Didn't they announce that Harrison Ford had said the new Indiana Jones movie started filming 'next week' but Ford had actually said 'next few months' or something?

Maybe they pre-empted an EON press release? They usually release information through the official channels at 5PM UK time.

Not sure I'd count it out just yet.....the same journalist, Brent Lang also dates MGM's new Gucci film for Thanksgiving 2021. No other publication has mentioned that date. Seems Variety are getting dates directly from MGM.

Uh, no - THR has that date too and they broke the story, they're the ones who got it from MGM. And they say November for Bond so. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-buys-ridley-scotts-gucci-film-lady-gaga-set-star-1289108

Agreed I couldn't find anything. Really hope this was a mistake. Just seems far too early to delay it again. If we saw this article in July/August I'd be more inclined to believe it.

https://variety.com/2019/scene/news/harrison-ford-star-wars-disneyland-indiana-jones-reboot-1203231130/

Correction: An earlier version of this story quoted Ford saying filming on the “Indiana Jones” reboot will begin next week. Filming will begin next year.

They'll print anything these days.

Makes me sad.

giphy.gif

99b57fda-d29b-489d-ba0f-557f5eb8f8f4_screenshot.jpg

Makes me sad.

giphy.gif

99b57fda-d29b-489d-ba0f-557f5eb8f8f4_screenshot.jpg

Thank you. haha.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Following the Variety link, it says: The studio’s latest Bond outing, “No Time to Die,” was scheduled to open in April, but has been postponed until November due to the coronavirus pandemic. https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mgm-buys-ridley-scott-lady-gaga-true-crime-drama-about-gucci-family-1234574500/

EDIT: Samuel 001 was way quicker than me...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Am Sure as good as The Good, The Bad & The Ugly was, Sergio Leone might have secretly thought 'I should have added a Gunfight or Two'. A great deal of Creative People have Perfectionism in them....they always feel there's need to improve.....even if it's their best work.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

Hey Samuel, it's been a very long time, how are you? :-h

Hey man, I'm good thanks. Living life and loving life! You OK?

Should be around here a bit more often what with everything going on at the moment.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    The first tweet has exclusive info from James Bond radios journalist plus I did some image research. And although you've seen the rest, it has all the correct location names

Plus, the old market in Port Antonio where Craig was driving the land rover: The market square had been dressed up to look like Cuba plus they had cuban soldiers or maybe police on the set. All according to James Bond radios journalist Matthew Chernov.

Thought you Bondnerds would like to know that
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That turquoise water screams classic Bond.

K1CLJVb.jpg

Eye roll.
  • StarkStark France
    I just saw a french interview of Oliver Schneider, the supervising stunt coordinator, who tells a lot of interesting things about the film... Small summary (sorry if I translate incorrectly) :

He could see a 32 minute extract of the film and according to him "it's beautiful, the actors play well, there are incredible sets and the light of the cinematographer is demented".

He then said that "nobody will be disappointed by the film. It will be a Bond with all the Bond codes that we love in terms of sets, history and action scenes ".

He was particularly impressed by Daniel Craig : " He is really incredible in this film. He is even more impressive with age, everything he has done in the other Bond films is felt on the screen. He was involved everywhere, even in the writing. It is the actor who impressed me the most in terms of energy".

Link of the interview :
  • Would think that although the release date has been pushed back to November that Eon/MGM would be reviewing the situation again come say August/September. It would be particularly galling if they ramped up the marketing again around October/November and had to delay again for another lockdown or whatever the situation could look like for November looking at where it may go from an August/September time perspective. If it were to be delayed again I would expect a decision to be made around then.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    [french interview of Oliver Schneider, the supervising stunt coordinator]

He was particularly impressed by Daniel Craig : " He is really incredible in this film. He is even more impressive with age, everything he has done in the other Bond films is felt on the screen. He was involved everywhere, even in the writing. It is the actor who impressed me the most in terms of energy".
    Thanks for sharing that, @Stark, it really rings true for past, present, and delayed future.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    In a perfect world, today would've been the day No Time To Die opens in cinemas here in Singapore. And I'd be all dressed up with my Aqua Terra at IMAX watching it by now..

49748760091_e035beb608_b.jpg
  • I had my ticket booked for tomorrow! Looked at my calendar with sadness with the 9th circled '007 day'. Ah well.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    imranbecks wrote: »
    In a perfect world, today would've been the day No Time To Die opens in cinemas here in Singapore. And I'd be all dressed up with my Aqua Terra at IMAX watching it by now..

49748760091_e035beb608_b.jpg

Gorgeous watch! Love the Aqua Terra.