No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    The man who talks about it is Youen Leclerc, he works in the Framestore company. You can check on IMDb, he worked on this film. ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,497
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    These are called "invisible" visual effects. For French speakers, I advise you to go listen to the last issue of the podcast "Parlons Péloches". It's available on Spotify. It also says that the production imposed minor changes to the film during the postponement, contrary to what Cary Fukunaga said.

Lol ok.

Sure a French podcast has more insight than the director himself. XD
    I don't know more, I am only reporting what I heard. You are free to believe or not. ;)
    matt_u wrote: »
    These are called "invisible" visual effects. For French speakers, I advise you to go listen to the last issue of the podcast "Parlons Péloches". It's available on Spotify. It also says that the production imposed minor changes to the film during the postponement, contrary to what Cary Fukunaga said.

Lol ok.

Sure a French podcast has more insight than the director himself. XD

Mais oui, c'est logique. #:-S
  • StarkStark France
    Stark wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Cary also put to rest the idea that they're editing/re-shooting. He said something like that is costly-- yes, even on a Bond film. Secondly he discussed any project can be tinkered with, to what end. He said that NTTD is perfect as is, it's a great film, and it was his hope that others will feel the same.

Exactly. Fukunaga himself basically shut down all that nonsense regarding potential reshoot/trimming/further polishing: NTTD is locked, 100% finished and the director is 100% happy with it.

The movie is great as it is.

K1CLJVb.jpg

They have a director like Fukunaga and they don't give him time to perfect the film... Shameful. I imagine he wants to improve some special effects but that costs too much money.

You’re totally misinterpreting his words. Creative people can work on their projects endlessly, because they will always find something to change or something to improve. It’s inherent in their nature. For me, as an architect, is basically the same. But this is not how things work. He finished his film on schedule, he was happy with it and he was ready to share it with the audiences. There’s nothing shameful. Nothing.

It's just that I have no trust in the producers. If someone like Fukunaga asks for more time and a little more money, give it to him ! If the film is great I will be frustrated if some details like the special effects are imperfect because the producers wanted to make as much profit as possible.
    Cary also put to rest the idea that they're editing/re-shooting. He said something like that is costly-- yes, even on a Bond film. Secondly he discussed any project can be tinkered with, to what end. He said that NTTD is perfect as is, it's a great film, and it was his hope that others will feel the same.

Exactly. Fukunaga himself basically shut down all that nonsense regarding potential reshoot/trimming/further polishing: NTTD is locked, 100% finished and the director is 100% happy with it.

K1CLJVb.jpg

They have a director like Fukunaga and they don't give him time to perfect the film... Shameful. I imagine he wants to improve some special effects but that costs too much money.

You’re totally misinterpreting his words. Creative people can work on their projects endlessly, because they will always find something to change or something to improve. It’s inherent in their nature. For me, as an architect, is basically the same. But this is not how things work. He finished his film on schedule, he was happy with it and he was ready to share it with the audiences. There’s nothing shameful. Nothing.

It's just that I have no trust in the producers. If someone like Fukunaga asks for more time and a little more money, give it to him ! If the film is great I will be frustrated if some details like the special effects are imperfect because the producers wanted to make as much profit as possible.

He did not ask for that.

K1CLJVb.jpg

The producers don’t have magic pockets with unlimited amounts of money. That’s not how this business works.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,185
    TR007 wrote: »

K1CLJVb.jpg

The producers don’t have magic pockets with unlimited amounts of money. That’s not how this business works.

Exactly, and think how much extra cash they already had to spend on NTTD, with Boyle leaving, the first couple delays, 6 writers in total, replacing Romer with Zimmer (who certainly isn't as cheap) and now another 9 Month delay with basically another marketing campaign on top...

Also just because Fukunaga said he would have liked more time, doesn't mean that NTTD isn't already the best film it could be. Every creative person in charge will say they wish they had more time, that's just the way it is.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    The biggest problem for them is to figure out if this film can still be release in November, i mean if they are actually thinking about releasing it in November then marketing may have to Kickstart 2-3 months earlier to build the hype. We don't even know at this point and i won't be surprised if film got delayed even further. Still hoping for the best, one way or another we will eventually see it.
    Even if released in November things will not have returned to "normal" so I think box office will be lower than hoped for.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    While listening to a French podcast (in the presence of a visual effects technician who worked on the movie), I had confirmation that the Aston Martin Valhalla will be replaced by the Superlegerra in the film. The scene was filmed with the Valhalla but the producers didn't like the design of the car. This was done in postproduction, a CGI Superlegerra was added digitally. It would be on the sequence seen in the trailer where Nomi stops next to Bond.

Really?

I can imagine that they had a change of heart about the Valhalla. However, I can't imagine that they changed their minds that late in the process. Plus the way the light hits the car is very impressive. Almost too impressive to be CGI - plus as someone pointed out before the interior is a DBS Superlegerra below......

No-Time-to-Die-tr-027.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-tr-028.jpg
    EP2Mk-ZXkAAaV_l?format=jpg&name=large

Could they not have just ditched the Valhalla after trying some camera tests with it?

If you look at the top pic with the DBS head on, something does look off about it imo. I’ve looked at hundreds of photos and loads of videos of the superleggera because I’m in love with most things Aston. It’s something in the photo of the scale of the Aston that seems slightly off to me, and the way the tyres look. Perhaps I’m just imagining it though.
  • StarkStark France
    edited April 2020 Posts: 177

K1CLJVb.jpg

He did not ask for that.

He said : « more time would have been lovely » and to the question « why not use such a delay to add some polish ? » he has answered : « short answer is money ». So for me it’s very clear that he would not be against a little more time and money.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    DCisared wrote: »
    While listening to a French podcast (in the presence of a visual effects technician who worked on the movie), I had confirmation that the Aston Martin Valhalla will be replaced by the Superlegerra in the film. The scene was filmed with the Valhalla but the producers didn't like the design of the car. This was done in postproduction, a CGI Superlegerra was added digitally. It would be on the sequence seen in the trailer where Nomi stops next to Bond.

Really?

I can imagine that they had a change of heart about the Valhalla. However, I can't imagine that they changed their minds that late in the process. Plus the way the light hits the car is very impressive. Almost too impressive to be CGI - plus as someone pointed out before the interior is a DBS Superlegerra below......

No-Time-to-Die-tr-027.jpg
    No-Time-to-Die-tr-028.jpg
    EP2Mk-ZXkAAaV_l?format=jpg&name=large

Could they not have just ditched the Valhalla after trying some camera tests with it?

If you look at the top pic with the DBS head on, something does look off about it imo. I’ve looked at hundreds of photos and loads of videos of the superleggera because I’m in love with most things Aston. It’s something in the photo of the scale of the Aston that seems slightly off to me, and the way the tyres look. Perhaps I’m just imagining it though.

Edit- I’m also certain the DBS doesn’t have that much ground clearance either. Although again that could easily be Q’s work.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yeah, why should Cary dwell on 25 when he can be working on BOND 26.

Babs needs to toss PWB a copy of MR and say, "We're doing another CR with the new Bond."
    Getafix wrote: »
    Even if released in November things will not have returned to "normal" so I think box office will be lower than hoped for.

Absolutely. A Nov 2020 release will force NTTD to underperform regardless the reception and the quality of the film. How much, it’s still impossible to figure.
  • StarkStark France

K1CLJVb.jpg

If Fukunaga asks for 50 million more ok, but I don't think that's the case.

K1CLJVb.jpg

Making a Bond film is a punch. A marathon. It’s always been like this. They finished the film on schedule, Cary said “It is great as it is” and that’s it.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 48
    I contacted Youen Leclerc directly for more details. Indeed, the only request which was made by the producers was to clean and refine some plans, only related to the visual effects, not the scenario or anything else. Moreover, the podcast having been recorded a month ago, it may not even be relevant. On the other hand, the info about the Valhalla is still correct.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Absolutely. A Nov 2020 release will force NTTD to underperform regardless the reception and the quality of the film. How much, it’s still impossible to figure.

Thing's Will be much more clear in July imo.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    echo wrote: »
    Yeah, why should Cary dwell on 25 when he can be working on BOND 26.

Babs needs to toss PWB a copy of MR and say, "We're doing another CR with the new Bond."

Yeah, the thing is, I've really enjoyed Craig's Grounded & Gritty take on the Character. But I really want the Next Bond to be a mixture of both. I hate to be pretentious.....I've really missed the larger than life Landscape of James Bond.

Thing's Will be much more clear in July imo.

Sure... but since life on planet earth won’t be the same as long as there’s not a vaccine/cure it’s obvious places like theaters will be affected in some form.

K1CLJVb.jpg

MGM are already taking a 30-50m hit from delayed marketing, and financially trying to offset the delay...not to mention, post production facilities where you'd do all the tweaks at this point are now all closed.

If Cary was so unhappy - and the producers themselves weren't happy with the film - then they'd have given him the money.
    Hmmm... the ground clearance of that Superleggera does look odd... :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,935

I don't know if I'm believing that just yet. Stranger things have happened though.
    Craig's eyeline in the shot would be a giveaway you'd think as the Valhalla will be much lower (not sure how you'd drive it down that track either!)

I guess one thing which could be in its favour is that the DBS was revealed to be in the film very late in the process (wasn't it on James Bond Day?) which did seem a bit odd.

Speaking of digital effects replacing things, is that story about Craig's gloves being replaced by digital hands in Skyfall definitely true? Because when I watch that scene it's almost impossible to believe. It might be just in the shot in the Jellyfish sequence where he pockets his gun? Because after that he is wearing gloves.
    As far as I know the glove story is true.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »

I don't know if I'm believing that.

I guess one thing which could be in its favour is that the DBS was revealed to be in the film very late in the process (wasn't it on James Bond Day?) which did seem a bit odd.

Speaking of digital effects replacing things, is that story about Craig's gloves being replaced by digital hands in Skyfall definitely true? Because when I watch that scene it's almost impossible to believe. It might be just in the shot in the Jellyfish sequence where he pockets his gun? Because after that he is wearing gloves.

Do I believe that the Valhalla will be/has been digitally replaced, no, not necessarily, but it is not beyond belief.
    “Invisible “, uncredited digital tweaking in films is very common, and big business. Most of it consists of subtle “facelifts “ and wrinkle remover on actors and actresses.
    As far as realistically rendering a vehicle in post, it’s done to perfection frequently. MI:RN,and Mad Max: RF are just two examples.
    talos7 wrote: »

Do I believe that the Valhalla will be/has been digitally replaced, no, not necessarily, but it is not beyond belief.
    “Invisible “, uncredited digital tweaking in films is very common, and big business. Most of it consists of subtle “facelifts “ and wrinkle remover on actors and actresses.
    As far as realistically rendering a vehicle in post, it’s done to perfection frequently. MI:RN,and Mad Max: RF are just two examples.

Just look at the ground clearance... The car itself looks "real", but that is not 100% correct... :-?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Just look at the ground clearance... The car itself looks "real", but that is not 100% correct... :-?

I don’t have enough knowledge concerning the actual car to judge, but there’s “real” , and there’s film. Even if it is the actual vehicle, modifications may have been made for practical it cinematic reasons.
    An example that comes to mind is Clint Eastwood’s 44 Magnum in Dirty Harry. Three different guns with three different barrel lengths were used , all depicting the same gun, depending on the shot .

I don’t have enough knowledge concerning the actual car to judge, but there’s “real” , and there’s film. Even if it is the actual vehicle, modifications may have been made for practical it cinematic reasons.
    An example that comes to mind is Clint Eastwood’s 44 Magnum in Dirty Harry. Three different guns with three different barrel lengths were used , all depicting the same gun, depending on the shot .

Yes, correct...

We'll find out. One day. :D