NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

The song might return to the charts when it gets an airing again in November
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Gettler wrote: »
    Have got anything official about the score being delayed too? I'm sure it will be, but I'm still holding on. Still can't get over the news from this morning.

Nothing official but I'm sure it will be delayed. No sense in releasing anything now.
  • I work in London, and this morning my boss, who plays in a town brass band, told me that he has a good friend who was in the orchestra that recorded the score for NTTD, and according to that person, it's very very good. (But I don't know any other details in order to keep this as anonymized as possible.) So there's a bit of sunshine on this dreary post-delay day.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,767
    I work in London, and this morning my boss, who plays in a town brass band, told me that he has a good friend who was in the orchestra that recorded the score for NTTD, and according to that person, it's very very good. (But I don't know any other details in order to keep this as anonymized as possible.) So there's a bit of sunshine on this dreary post-delay day.
    If you were playing in the orchestra recording the score for the latest Bond film, what would you say about how the recordings were or how the music is?

Btw I bought a delay for my synth yesterday, and it´s fantastic! It offers so many new sound options!
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Zimmer, Marr, Finneas & Eilish might end up doing another version of that song.

It wouldn't surprise me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I work in London, and this morning my boss, who plays in a town brass band, told me that he has a good friend who was in the orchestra that recorded the score for NTTD, and according to that person, it's very very good. (But I don't know any other details in order to keep this as anonymized as possible.) So there's a bit of sunshine on this dreary post-delay day.

That's welcome news: thanks :)
    I’ve been wondering about the score.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Zimmer, Marr, Finneas & Eilish might end up doing another version of that song.

It wouldn't surprise me.

It would be great if they did another version for the film where there are more parts where she sings that higher section with the faster tempo.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Why?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 2,594
    I'm sure they won't but I just think that there's a little too much down time in the song for my tastes.
    Given the subject of the song, I’m not sure it’s appropriate to go for a traditional bombastic ending. Not every Bond song needs to conform to how Bond songs were made in the 60s.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 2,594
    I understand that but I wasn’t referring to the ending. I like how it ends with the exception that the song should fade in slower to the classic Bond note. I just mean that the section that does become more bombastic should last around 10 seconds longer and that this part with a longer length should appear in the song twice. The song doesn’t seem complete to me. I still like the song as it is too.
    Do somebody know if the release date of the OST have moved since the one of the movie did?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Do somebody know if the release date of the OST have moved since the one of the movie did?

Of course. November too.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A bit off-topic, but some members maybe interested to note that Hans Zimmer scored the BBC podcast: 13MinutesToTheMoon.

Here is a short interview with Mr. Zimmer about this project: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07z59nh

While season 1 (in 2019) covered the descent phase of Apollo 11’s lunar landing (and its’ relevant background), season 2 will cover the events of Apollo 13. It doesn’t make-up for the – understandable - NTTD delay, but for space nerds like myself – this, and the re-release of Ron Howard’s movie are welcomed. 😊

Interestingly, had NTTD had its’ US premiere on April 10th as planned, it would have shared that date with the 50th anniversary of two world events: the start of the Apollo 13 mission (4/11/1970), and the breakup of The Beatles (4/10/1970).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Take a whyle, but Dutch release of soundtrack have now 20 November 2020 as new release date. It was plan 6 days before release, 25 November is possible be new release date of the movie with 5 days then. Or 2 days after if there go for 18 November 2020 what is more likely because cinema's (pathe.nl) plan view dates after 12 November. Spectre Soundtrack was released 6 days before movie and Skyfall 2 days before.
    Finneas and Billie Eilish contributed to Hans Zimmer's score....
    https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/billie-eilish-interview-james-bond-theme-hans-zimmer.html

As Zimmer continued to work on the score, he solicited their advice. He would send pieces of music, then ask for input: variations, tweaks, suggestions. “I would text Finneas, ‘Can I just get a little da-da-da whatever?’ ”

“It’s been really fun,” says Eilish. “He’s just like, ‘Can we get a little this?’ And we immediately record and send it to him.”

“In a funny way, our styles are not that dissimilar,” Zimmer continues.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting..? I wonder what the results of that were? Some more pop-ish, rocky moments in the score? It gets more interesting!
    mtm wrote: »
    Interesting..? I wonder what the results of that were? Some more pop-ish, rocky moments in the score? It gets more interesting!

More like integrating their theme song into it, it seems...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Nice to have some Uniformity back in the Musical World of James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    antovolk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

More like integrating their theme song into it, it seems...

Sure, but I guess the artist has never actually played it in the score before, so that sounds a bit new.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Thomas Newman who? ;)
    Kidding aside, that is excellent news.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Interestintg bit in the article: If I get it right, the producers let Zimmer decide about the tartist and the song. I don't know, whether they did this with Newman, or not? David Arnold for sure ewas involved, but in DAD he probably got overruled, as he made clear later, that he really disliked the Madonna song, to put it mildly. In the days of John Barry, he was the authority on the music department. Also Zimmer was hired way before he was actually introduced to step in for Dan Romer. Amazon as of now haven't confirmed, that the delivery of the soundtrack is delayed until (I assume) October 2020. In my order list it still is listed as "delivery March 27", but I really don't expect it there and then.
    It’s probably because unlike Arnold, Zimmer has a lot more clout as a prolific composer, so he was able to call shots concerning the song. He’s arguably the biggest composer that EON has worked with since John Barry.

In the case of Thomas Newman, the artists were already chosen and recorded their music before he started working on SF and SP. I don’t know if that was the same case with Michael Kamen and Eric Serra, but their scores certainly didn’t have the title songs woven.

Interestingly one of the reasons Barry opted not to return with TND was because he wasn’t guaranteed to have a hand in the title song. And as you saw with David Arnold, his title song with k.d. Lang was rejected and replaced by another artist. That kind of thing would have pissed off Barry which is why he didn’t come back.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s probably because unlike Arnold, Zimmer has a lot more clout as a prolific composer, so he was able to call shots concerning the song. He’s arguably the biggest composer that EON has worked with since John Barry.

Probably, but only just. They have had some really big names in. For example Newman isn’t nobody! :)
    If the soundtrack is delayed until November it would be nice if they could release 1 or 2 tracks in March
    vzok wrote: »
    If the soundtrack is delayed until November it would be nice if they could release 1 or 2 tracks in March

Given that David Arnold is doing his series of James Bond music on Scala Radio (episode 3 of 5 is on at 1pm today) I am wondering if there may be a little tease at the end of the series. Probably just wishful thinking on my part!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I know it's not likely to happen....even if it does, it can't be immediate. As it usually take years for these kind of things to surface, but I would like to listen to what Romer did for Bond....just out of Sheer Curiosity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Matt wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

Given that David Arnold is doing his series of James Bond music on Scala Radio (episode 3 of 5 is on at 1pm today) I am wondering if there may be a little tease at the end of the series. Probably just wishful thinking on my part!

I am curious how it's going to work: the series seemed to be geared around five soundtracks a week so he would've played several track from NTTD in a couple of weeks time! What will he fill the end of his final show with? :)
    Dunno, if this is anything but I spoke to someone who knew of some of the development into Zimmer's score.

Apparently it was a 'dream' come true for Zimmer and that he had his own version of a Bond theme in mind for years. Apparently, it's not a variation on the Monty Norman theme, but a brand new theme by Zimmer.

Supposedly the new 'theme' will appear in the film alongside the traditional Monty Norman theme but they are two distinct pieces of music.

It seems in keeping with Zimmer who developed brand new themes for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. But I guess we will get a new NTTD-focused theme.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Cool, that sounds good. A bit like how Barry would add a new Bondish theme every for his later few scores (‘He’s Dangerous’, the action theme in Octopussy etc.).