NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

If not Zimmer I wonder who it was
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,247
    AVTAK'S tracks like 'Snow Job', 'He's Dangerous' & 'Golden Gate Fight' are all revamped versions of OHMSS main theme. I wonder if Zimmer's looking to do something similar,but still retaining originality. What better way to honour Barry than reworking some of his Bond tracks, maybe something from TLD, MR or better still the 007 theme itself.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s possible. Arnold revamped the OHMSS theme for DAD, no reason Zimmer couldn’t if he wanted.
    It’s possible. Arnold revamped the OHMSS theme for DAD, no reason Zimmer couldn’t if he wanted.

Yeah, but I think it's the track 'Chateau Flight' from TB that Arnold revamped for DAD.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    This will be the best non Barry score in the series. Guaranteed. I cannot wait.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    This will be the best non Barry score in the series. Guaranteed. I cannot wait.

Guaranteed. As soon as it was announced that Zimmer would be attached to NTTD, I was overjoyed. I’m a lover of film music and he’s up there in my top 10 of composers. I love John Barry as much as the next Bond fan, and I feel like Zimmer will really usher in that classic sound - big, brassy, ballsy - for the modern age, something Thomas Newman failed to do with the last two films.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This film looks to be playing it very big and ballsy with the action, subtle mood music just won't do for that.

I'm hoping that like Barry did so adeptly that we'll get some great action cues as well as some great romantic moments as well as some atmospheric sinister cues as well.

Barry encapsulated all of this in most of his scores, if anyone can deliver it will be Hans Zimmer.

I won't be able to stop myself firing up Spotify Friday 27th and sticking my Bluetooth ear buds in and walking into work with the score blaring.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Shardlake wrote: »
    This film looks to be playing it very big and ballsy with the action, subtle mood music just won't do for that.

I'm hoping that like Barry did so adeptly that we'll get some great action cues as well as some great romantic moments as well as some atmospheric sinister cues as well.

Barry encapsulated all of this in most of his scores, if anyone can deliver it will be Hans Zimmer.

I won't be able to stop myself firing up Spotify Friday 27th and sticking my Bluetooth ear buds in and walking into work with the score blaring.

I hear ya! Zimmer’s solid when it comes to building melody and suspense/tension in many of his scores, and of course he can swing for the fences all day long. Inception’s probably one of my favorite scores of the last decade and it’s Bondian enough. I just hope for some memorable action cues blended with some lush, quiet moments - I’m sure he can do it.

With that said, the score can’t come soon enough!
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, but I think it's the track 'Chateau Flight' from TB that Arnold revamped for DAD.

I mean OHMSS revamps like in this track at 5:13, which Arnold brings back later in the Iceland car chase.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

I hear ya! Zimmer’s solid when it comes to building melody and suspense/tension in many of his scores, and of course he can swing for the fences all day long. Inception’s probably one of my favorite scores of the last decade and it’s Bondian enough. I just hope for some memorable action cues blended with some lush, quiet moments - I’m sure he can do it.

With that said, the score can’t come soon enough!

I love Inception and Zimmer's score, I'm hoping for something with the spirit of that with maybe a bit more playfulness as it is Bond.

I think he is giddy as a school boy to have had the chance to do this, it won't be just another assignment for him, this is a dream and something he never thought he would have a chance to do.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AVTAK'S tracks like 'Snow Job', 'He's Dangerous' & 'Golden Gate Fight' are all revamped versions of OHMSS main theme.

Not really though. It has the same four note descending vamp underlying it, but it’s a different melody completely, even if tonally similar.

I mean OHMSS revamps like in this track at 5:13, which Arnold brings back later in the Iceland car chase.

That track is only 5.14 long though... the silence at the end sounds like OHMSS? :D
    Where did he he revamp OHMSS?
    Ah typo, I mean at 2:14, with the four note descending.

Oh, yes! True....very subtle of Arnold indeed. But if you give another listen to TB and DAD....you'll also find TB in DAD as well. Coz TB is very much prominent in DAD.
    I wouldn´t call that revamping OHMSS, as it´s not even the same note cadence.

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    It's not the NTTD score, but Zimmer posted this yesterday. Interesting seeing him working

Here is the sound of #THEConcepti4 and some footage of @BMWGroup sound designer @Renzo.Vitale and me composing it in the studio. #BMW #BMWi

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    boldfinger wrote: »

Yeah it’s where he’s taken it from I’m sure, but it’s not OHMSS. Neither is ‘He’s Dangerous’.
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah it’s where he’s taken it from I’m sure, but it’s not OHMSS. Neither is ‘He’s Dangerous’.

I still think 'Snow Job', He's Dangerous' & 'Golden Gate Fight' are modernized versions of OHMSS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861

I still think 'Snow Job', He's Dangerous' & 'Golden Gate Fight' are modernized versions of OHMSS.

It’s not though: it’s a totally different tune.
    They’re of a piece and have a similar feel to them, but it’s like saying NTTD is an updated version of Skyfall. They’re similar and even have the same chord progression, but they are different tunes.
    Really, we’re only speaking in terms of cord progression that makes it similar enough to OHMSS to sound like an update. Same car model, new engine.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Presumably the score release will be postponed too?
    Presumably the score release will be postponed too?

Seems very likely...but am really trying to stomach that fact. Because I was really looking forward to it this month.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 7,653
    Zimmer now has more time to write a decent score and perhaps they can now change the title song as well with more than 9 months to go :D
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    The most tragic thing in all of this, is that we’ll have seven more months to endure the YOU/HIM debate.
    I think Zimmer, Marr, Finneas & Eilish might end up doing another version of that song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Zimmer, Marr, Finneas & Eilish might end doing another version of that song.

It would be quite fun if they did some sort of remix or added another verse or something for the new release date, yeah.
    I think Zimmer, Marr, Finneas & Eilish might end doing another version of that song.

It would be quite fun if they did some sort of remix or added another verse or something for the new release date, yeah.

Yeah, they just might end up doing another version, coz I really can't imagine them using it in November, as fans would have had their fill of it by then.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I don't see the song changing. Some Billie Eilish fans may be less likely to flock to the film, however. The hype of the song will have worn off but there's probably ways they can continue to build hype for November.
    Have got anything official about the score being delayed too? I'm sure it will be, but I'm still holding on. Still can't get over the news from this morning.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 12,916
    (Wrong discussion)