Some examples of DC in "lighter mode" from earlier films:

"not quite so stylishly"
    "good evening miss llynd"
    Oh and the vallet"
    "Welcome to my home"
    "because then they'd be bad"
    Sorry I'm late...that last hand...nearly killed me"
    "You ok?"

All those lines were more convincingly delivered than anything from Dalton.

(waits for getafix to bite back).

Would I do that?

I've never doubted DC can do humour. There was the odd humouress line in CR and QoS. But I'm not talking only about dialogue and double-entendres. I am thinking also of what St James St mentions - the lightness of touch and sense of Bond enjoying himself a bit - that meant Bond always left you leaving the cinema with a spring in your step, instead of reaching for the heavy spirits.

Obviously your comment about Dalts is complete and utter nonsense though! ;)
    I Think we look good. With Q back that means at least attaché case-esque gadgets. Also a train falling through a brick wall doesn't scream CR realism but not MR OTT
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    .... that it? I stopped looking at pics of JLH long enough to watch that? Some running, some falling and a few lines from an unsurprisingly monotone Craig. Looks like business as usual to me. I'll admit they aren't / weren't high, but that teaser has managed to limbo under my expectations.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,856
    .... that it? I stopped looking at pics of JLH long enough to watch that? Some running, some falling and a few lines from an unsurprisingly monotone Craig. Looks like business as usual to me. I'll admit they aren't / weren't high, but that teaser has managed to limbo under my expectations.

...But come November/December your still going to want to see it....

Exactly my first reaction. Having said that, I'm softening a little towards it having re-watched it. It is a quite determinedly down-beat trailer though.
    Getafix wrote:
    StJamesSt wrote:
    As a 40-something guy I love the teaser. And I love Craig as Bond. But I have had one nagging doubt since CR.

Where is that feelgood factor that I felt when I left the cinema with my Dad when I was in my teens after TSWLY or Moonraker? (whatever you think of the films now) When you wanted to do all the ridiculous action and your Dad wanted to flirt with the bus conductress on the way home.

I hope they let Craig have a long drink by the pool moment so that there is something aspirational for us all rather than just "it's grim being a spy for perfidious Albion".

Exactly. Now wait for the fanboys and self-appointed experts to bite your head off for even raising such doubts.

Thanks for the quote. I'm new to the site and am getting the feeling that an endorsement from yourself might get me in hot water! But thanks anyway. Lol

To emphasise my point, I will go and see Skyfall more than once and (I am sure) enjoy. I think in Mendes' hands it will have a much more authentically British feel (M with the union jack draped coffins is a haunting image).

But with a couple of young boys, I hope in ten years they're not coming out of the cinema saying "Come on Dad, I can't wait to get home to re-enact that torture scene!"
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,619
    business as usual

Are you nuts? What about the gorgeous cinematography which is miles above we've ever seen in any Bond film so far.
    StJamesSt wrote:
    But with a couple of young boys, I hope in ten years they're not coming out of the cinema saying "Come on Dad, I can't wait to get home to re-enact that torture scene!"

Bond films shouldn't be aimed at children.
    In addition to an Hitchcockian inspiration, am I the only one to think that the final assault, at least from what we know, has a western vibe (like Alamo) ? Bond, defending his own land from the unumerous "strangers" or "indians", quite alone in front of an army.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    boby wrote:
    In addition to an Hitchcockian inspiration, am I the only one to think that the final assault, at least from what we know, has a western vibe (like Alamo) ? Bond, defending his own land from the unumerous "strangers" or "indians", quite alone in front of an army.

Could be. It is an interesting inversion of the usual scenario, where Bond attacks the baddy base.
    business as usual

Are you nuts? What about the gorgeous cinematography which is miles above we've ever seen in any Bond film so far.
    StJamesSt wrote:

Bond films shouldn't be aimed at children.

Judging by many of the posts on this very site, many people first got hooked on Bond when they were 11, 12 or in their early teens ... often seeing them with their parents first. Ignoring that might mean ignoring the next generation of fans.

yeah right, not like Dalton approach as "Bond shakespearean wanna be".

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Children today will respond to the current Bond films as positively as past generations did to their Bonds. It's the circle of life folks.

Craig is thankfully his own man and a Bond whose humour is more subtle and understated than any since Connery. Just because he doesn't twinkle at the camera and emphasise certain words to push the joke home ("We've developed a certain ATTACHMENT" ) doesn't mean there is no humour in his Bond.
    I don't think Bond would have become the institution that it is has without all the humour and fun elements, which made the films ideal for a father to take his son to see at the cinema, so I don't think people should just write these elements of as things of the past.

The current films are taking a different direction and that needs to happen to keep the series going, from these brief clips I don't think we can really gauge the tone of the film just yet!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,692
    @Zekidk yes there was shaky cam in the QOS trailer.... during the boat chase shots... I remember clearly that on MI6Forums people were getting worried that the boat chase would be similarly shot as a Bourne action scene ( = with shaky cam).... it was a big talking subject after the trailer was released 4 years ago.
    I don't think Bond would have become the institution that it is has without all the humour and fun elements, which made the films ideal for a father to take his son to see at the cinema, so I don't think people should just write these elements of as things of the past.

The current films are taking a different direction and that needs to happen to keep the series going, from these brief clips I don't think we can really gauge the tone of the film just yet!

Fair point.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote:
    Children today will respond to the current Bond films as positively as past generations did to their Bonds. It's the circle of life folks.

I think this is a very astute quote.

I was at White Hart Lane (I am not a spurs fan) about 12 months ago and I overheard a kid, of about 11 talking to his dad about Mr. White and whether he thought he'd come back. They went into a whole dialogue about QoS and the kid was talking in passionate detail about the the chase with Mitchell.

I hadn't at that point considered QoS would be so appealing to a young kid. Little did I know. It just goes to show, we can all lose touch at times and shouldn't judge what does and doesn't appeal to others.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chuck007 wrote:

Wanna be? There is no wanna be, Dalton is a shakespearean trained actor. But I wasn't aware that being shakespearean actor was such a terrible crime.
    RC7 wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

I think this is a very astute quote.

I was at White Hart Lane (I am not a spurs fan) about 12 months ago and I overheard a kid, of about 11 talking to his dad about Mr. White and whether he thought he'd come back. They went into a whole dialogue about QoS and the kid was talking in passionate detail about the the chase with Mitchell.

I hadn't at that point considered QoS would be so appealing to a young kid. Little did I know. It just goes to show, we can all lose touch at times and shouldn't judge what does and doesn't appeal to others.

Thanks for the anecdote – opened my eyes and very reassuring.
    chuck007 wrote:

Wanna be? There is no wanna be, Dalton is a shakespearean trained actor. But I wasn't aware that being shakespearean actor was such a terrible crime.

who said it a terrible crime? for me is just crime, not terrible crime, what i want to say is Dalton make the character (Bond) into shakespearean wanna be, change Dalton line "shaken not stirred" with "to be or not to be"

Still getting goosebumps after watching the teaser maaaaany times.

It has the perfect combination of imagery, music and a few effective lines. The cinematography is awesome. Now I can't wait to see some Turkish scenes and hear Newman's take on a Bond soundtrack!

As for the quality of the finished product? How the hell should I know. Its just a teaser. I've seen many amazing teasers only to be sorely disappointed by the actual movie - and vice versa.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    chuck007 wrote:
    who said it a terrible crime? for me is just crime, not terrible crime, what i want to say is Dalton make the character (Bond) into shakespearean wanna be, change Dalton line "shaken not stirred" with "to be or not to be"

Call me crazy, but if I had to choose, i'd rather see Bond turned into into a shakespearean character than see Bond turned into a charmless thug.
    chuck007 wrote:

Call me crazy, but if I had to choose, i'd rather see Bond into into a shakespearean character than see Bond turned into a charmless thug.

I don't think DC is completely devoid of charm. Agreed in QoS he's a bit too "thuggish" but in CR the mix of rutheless killer and elegant gentleman is rather good IMO.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,782
    Getafix wrote:
    StJamesSt wrote:
    As a 40-something guy I love the teaser. And I love Craig as Bond. But I have had one nagging doubt since CR.

Where is that feelgood factor that I felt when I left the cinema with my Dad when I was in my teens after TSWLY or Moonraker? (whatever you think of the films now) When you wanted to do all the ridiculous action and your Dad wanted to flirt with the bus conductress on the way home.

I hope they let Craig have a long drink by the pool moment so that there is something aspirational for us all rather than just "it's grim being a spy for perfidious Albion".

Exactly. Now wait for the fanboys and self-appointed experts to bite your head off for even raising such doubts.

Now did you feel excited/feelgood factor when you walked out of DAD? Didn't think so.

I wanted DC to have a bit more fun too. As he says himself the Vesper story is now over and his misery is over too.

Yes a bit of a lighter touch would be great but that trailer looks as lavish and beautiful as GF and FRWL, which is never a bad thing. So for me it can be 'The Dark Knight Rises' story all it wants as long as it looks this beautiful.

chuck007 wrote:

Call me crazy, but if I had to choose, i'd rather see Bond turned into into a shakespearean character than see Bond turned into a charmless thug.

Fleming never write his character like shakespearean wannabe, and btw you are not Crazy if you choose to see Bond turned "into into" Shakespearean character, but i can call you crazy if you think Dalton have charm...to me Dalton Bond also a charmless thug with shakespearean wannabe approach is his cover

I'm inclined to agree that Dalton's role in LTK meant Bond was a 'charmless thug' for want of a better discription.

The strength of Craig is he follows his character through to the end without any confusing changes to his overall character. In TND we had Brosnan mourning the dead Paris, then having great larks with his BMW in the multi story, 2 minutes later.

Or a moody and angry Dalton getting revenge for Sharkey and then a few minutes later tossing drugs out of the plane and cackling happily to himself.

Craig doesn't do that. He keeps his character on an even keel and when he lightens the mood (such as his handcuffs joke when Fields 'picks him up') it's still within character.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    chuck007 wrote:

Call me crazy, but if I had to choose, i'd rather see Bond into into a shakespearean character than see Bond turned into a charmless thug.

I don't think DC is completely devoid of charm. Agreed in QoS he's a bit too "thuggish" but in CR the mix of rutheless killer and elegant gentleman is rather good IMO.

Agreed, Bain. I think that the "charmless thug" description goes too far from reality.

Sometimes some people I've known will have a knee-jerk reaction to something and then, instead of admitting that maybe they over-reacted, they keep saying the same thing over and over again to justify their position. Then again, some people will not like something and then use that as a reason to really *dislike* that thing...but one does not necessarily lead to the other. Someone can lament that cheesy Moore-like one-liners aren't in the current films, but that doesn't mean that there is *no* humour in them.

There are some people who dislike Craig and Dalton and they are entitled to their opinions. But when they talk about how Dalton's Bond was completely without humour or charm they lose me. I remember when TLD came out and the audience laughed at Dalton's jokes ("Amazing, this modern safety glass!" "Kara, we're in a Russian air force base in the middle of Afghanistan..."). This was confirmed when I saw TLD in a theatre again a while back. Just because someone finds LTK to dour doesn't mean that Dalton never had any charm or humour about him.

I feel the same thing with Craig. When someone says he's missing a lightness of touch or isn't good with humour I wonder if they ever saw a film he was in called CR? Joking about shooting the security camera, pointedly going "Oww..." at the tech that implants the tracking, picking up Solange, asking for the valet slip for the DB5, joking with Vesper that her cover name is Stephanie Broadchest (and then hiding the paper from her), saying "I will - thank you." to the hotel receptionist after Vesper storms off...the character is clearly enjoying himself as were the audiences that I saw the film with (three times in theatres).

Before everyone gets upset, I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to dislike Craig's portrayal - I'm just saying that one of the complaints that I heard about him from the beginning doesn't appear to have much of a basis in reality. Just because the films don't have the type of humour that someone likes (single entendre jokes, double-taking pigeons) doesn't mean that they have NO humour...

Well spoken @thelordflasheart. Spot on.

And the one liner from Bond about being in a Russian airbase was easilly the best delivered funny line from Mr D in either of his films.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Good points TLF

However when watching both Craig and Dalton I do feel Craig probably has a bit more of a way with flippant remarks and "one-liners". Actually, in many ways Craig seems the more relaxed of the two. With Dalton...I dunno, sometimes it worked ("you should have brought lillies") and sometimes it didn't ("looks like he came to a dead end").

Incidently I like the way Craig delivers the line:

"what if I felt...compelled to find him?" (referring to Domitrious)

I also remember the line "that last hand...nearly killed me" got a HUGE laugh in the cinema in 2006.

I think its because both have a reputation for being "serious" actors there is an assumption they can't do humour, which is not necessarily true. HOWEVER I do feel Craig has a bit more of that "playful arrogant" manner about him. Hence he can pull off the humour more effectively.

Incidently TWINE was on TV last night, I wonder if Craig will have a line like the infamous last one in that film :)) :))
    Maybe it's just the way the line is delivered. When Brosnan and Moore, heck even Connery, say an amusing line it sounds humorous. Craig just always seems serious--even when he's using the one liners.

When I see DC's films this October I'm going to try to see what you guys are talking about but from my memory DC was an ultra serious Bond almost devoid of charm. Maybe it's just the facial expression he uses.
    marymoss wrote:
    Maybe it's just the way the line is delivered. When Brosnan and Moore, heck even Connery, say an amusing line it sounds humorous. Craig just always seems serious--even when he's using the one liners.

When I see DC's films this October I'm going to try to see what you guys are talking about but from my memory DC was an ultra serious Bond almost devoid of charm. Maybe it's just the facial expression he uses.

I think that was more the case in QoS to be honest. Sometimes his attempts at humour fell a bit...flat IMO. His monotone voice didn't help.

In CR however he pretty much nailed it and was well served by the script