Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    OOWolf wrote: »
    What if there's another outbreak of Corona in November when the weather gets colder again!?

Right?!

If movie theatres are open, they'll release it. If they aren't, they won't.

EON is only interested in making money, as they should be, so they'll always do what's best financially.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    So in October as we are anxiously awaiting the release, what's the next event that will delay the film yet again?

The apocalypse?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    So in October as we are anxiously awaiting the release, what's the next event that will delay the film yet again?

The apocalypse?

Cary Fukunaga will leave the project due to creative differences...

... 8 months after the film is finished.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    im very curious what will they do with all this time. I imagine the script will change some.

How is the script going to change?
    The film is finished, done, ready for release.
    The delay is because of a potentially fatal virus that has the entire world on alert.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If there were any last minute tweaks to CGI etc that needed to be done prior to release (I have not followed production), they can do it with a lit Cigar.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Daniel316 wrote: »
    I'm curious but would this new move mean they'd have to spend money advertising the movie again?

Yes! Plus now all the posters out there with the April release date just became collectors items. Actually both will be somewhat collectors items but I think the April ones will be more valuable.

I am sure many were involved in the decision. I would think even the stars would have to be consulted as now the press junkets and premieres are all delayed. The marketing of the film as we head to November will be interesting as they've already blown a wad of money already. Will we see a smaller marketing campaign? How will they handle the fact the theme song will no longer be relevant or a tool to be used. Billie is probably happy cause the odds of winning, or at least being nominated for, an Oscar just shot up.

This will also give us insight into how many things were "pre-bought" or planned. For example will Craig do all the late night shows in the US in March/April or can that all be rescheduled.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Even if virus spread more in November(god forbid), theatres won't be as much closed in Asian markets as they are now. We don't even know if they will open up in one or two months time as of yet. It will take time for people to get aware and take precautions while getting used to it. So yeah this might be a sensible decision on their part.
    As suggested a digital release would be much more satisfactory than another delay. With the virus and the way streaming services have taken over the days of the movie theater are probably numbered anyway. Of course it's wishful thinking, but it would be nice in theory so that we could actually get the movie. Even beyond the frustration of having yet another delay, there's no way to be sure if we'll really get the film this year - or whenever we'll get - if they're committed to releasing it in theaters. There's no reason for me to think it will actually release in November given all the previous delays and the uncertain virus situation. Scrapping most certainly won't happen since the whole thing is done and hundreds of millions have gone into it. Digital release is the best solution... but it won't happen.
    People still go to movies, it's just that people only want to see the bigger spectacle type of movies these days. A movie like Bond can still be a hit at the box office, but a movie like THE IRISHMAN would have had a lot of trouble trying to make its money back which is why it went to Netflix.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    New concern, we'll never see this film
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    New concern, we'll never see this film

True. The corona virus will kill us all first and the actual film will remain somewhere in storage collecting dust, forever unseen as the world moves on.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    peter wrote: »
    I fear you are wasting your valuable time, @peter.

ugh @CraigMooreOHMSS ... ugh

What can you do but loudly sigh, @peter.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 12,837
    I'm full of confidence for the film itself. Was skeptical through production (still gutted Boyle left) but it all seems to have come together well. The trailers make it look brilliant and the impression I get is that Craig is a perfectionist and wanted to go out on a CR/SF esque high (I loved SP but he didn't seem too happy with it). I think when it eventually comes out, I'll really enjoy it and it'll do very well.

I am gutted about it being delayed again though. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is mostly due to the Chinese market right, and does Bond usually do that well in China anyway? I don't know about SP but I remember us talking about how SF didn't do that well at the time. But it still made loads of money.

Which I know is selfish of me and they deserve to see it too etc but I'm just gutted it'll have been five years. I know the days of two years are behind us, and my worst nightmare is them turning what should be a special event series into a Marvel esque sausage factory, but I do hope that three years becomes the norm from now on. I just miss having new Bond to enjoy on a pretty consistent basis.
    I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just released it later in other territories and left it the same or moved it forward for others.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,869
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just released it later in other territories and left it the same or moved it forward for others.
    Because we have no idea what's going to happen with the virus by the time the film would be released.

They have to take into account all possibilities, and seeing how delaying the film is probably safer for most audiences and avoids any backlash with the film's content, I'd say they made the best decision.

Also remember that the film's placement also has to do with other film's releases, and November is a good date for a Bond film because I think nearly all of Craig's films have been released around the end of October/beginning of November.

...and they get a second chance to push a great marketing campaign. I know they'd have to spend money on it, but something like this can still be positive for a film, even if we're frustrated to wait.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 12,837

I'd imagine that'd make it harder to distribute (other films will be coming out come November). Plus there's the issue of spoilers and having to essentially restart the marketing campaign (for a film that's already been and gone in some terroritories, and therefore has alredy been reviewed, released on blu-ray, pirated, etc) in a few months time for the territories it got pushed back in.

I'm as disappointed as anyone but if they still want to release it in the affected markets at all, then waiting and doing it all at once is probably the right call. Releasing it there much later than everywhere else just seems like it'd be a waste of money.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Because we have no idea what's going to happen with the virus by the time the film would be released. They have to take into account all possibilities with it.

I believe it's because of the content within the film itself. They are saying it's because of the diminished Box Office, when really they are hoping Coronavirus is a distant memory come November.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I just spoke to a friend of mine who works for a cinema company (let's call them Bue) and he said there was a notice from Eon and Universal issued about the delay and it says "it's due to insensitive content within the runtime of the film given the current climate"
    He did say it doesn't mention the coronavirus by name but it seems to be content based

That...makes a lot of sense
    Grrrrrrr

I am so mad that I can eat a bat.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Yes of course but I think there's many reasons for the delay. The content of the film and its box office being big ones, but also considering the virus seems be effecting more people, they must have also made the decision based on public safety to some extent.
    I’m starting to think the decision is largely based on the content. Since Safin is potentially killing people with a virus/viruses maybe they figure it will upset people too much. After all no one else is delaying their movies, at least yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m starting to think the decision is largely based on the content. Since Safin is potentially killing people with a virus/viruses maybe they figure it will upset people too much. After all no one else is delaying their movies, at least yet.
    We've actually been told that by a good source already, but again while yes that is the case, I think it's not as simple as that.
    I would prefer a digital release now and be able to watch it in the comfort of my own home as i dont particularly like going to the cinema much these days.Too many distractions at the cinema like annoying cinema attendees on their phones,loud kids,(etc).It also helps that i have a kick ass home theater system and it would be a real treat to watch a brand new Bond on it.
    Safin offers Bond a bat. He eats it to save his boo Nomi.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    EON aren't going to risk millions of dollars so that people can watch the film earlier.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I think all of the "the film is going to change" or "it's going to be scrapped" is quite the exaggeration. They've got a bit of extra time to tweak the visual effects and perhaps the music. They can relax about it. Otherwise, the film is done.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It will be minor tweaks
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The film will have an absolute belter of a sound mix, that's for sure.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Safin offers Bond a bat. He eats it to save his boo Nomi.
    Is this supposed to be funny? I fail to see the humour.

I find films likes Star Wars, Indy and James Bond impossible to watch on TV. Sure I have digital copies and love to watch BTS material that way but I get no pleasure about sitting at home watching a Bond film as opposed to seeing them in a theater. The audience reaction and participation are such a major part of the experience for me. Maybe it's that Boomer thing because I grew up seeing the series in theaters from the very beginning when they re-released Dr.No and FRWL. If released on streaming first, it would kill the film for me because even if they released it later in theaters the audience reaction would greatly affected.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    It’s been a few days since the news of the delay and now that I’ve digested it fully, it’s honestly not that bad. 8 months? It’s not great, but also not a terrible idea. For example, Halloween Kills wrapped production back in November 2019 and it’s not being released until - you guessed it! - October 2020. That’s almost a solid year of the movie sitting in the can until then. I’m sure there are many other films that have done the same.

Yeah we’re not going to get NTTD when it was originally intended. But bottom line, it’s coming.