No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 2,594
    Trump said that America were number one on the list for most effective measures in containing Corona. :)

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/tabloids-claim-daniel-craig-may-now-be-tempted-to-a-sixth-film-200306
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Ooooh.
    Hey everyone,
    Still devastated by the delay despite the good call to delay the film. My girlfriend even brought me a cheer up cheese cake. I tried to share a pic of it below. Hang on Bond fans! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QJUUzhVKfrvi3cRe9
    Great cake!
    Hey everyone,
    Still devastated by the delay despite the good call to delay the film. My girlfriend even brought me a cheer up cheese cake. I tried to share a pic of it below. Hang on Bond fans! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

That’s awesome.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Well nothing I can say so see you all in April
    Agent7F wrote: »
    Well nothing I can say so see you all in April

Nothing to see in April unfortunately
    Hey everyone,

Oh man, I wish I could get that cake. Love cheesecake. Bet it was delicious. That’s one wonderful girlfriend.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Anybody?

89307877_10218276650519921_4778839415373955072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=FTCfbNaoBQQAX_-lEMc&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=d71b75454fd2e6b842f6ef257ba95c46&oe=5E91086D

Stop! I'm spending too much $$$ on magazines! ;) This is less than half of what I've got...:

49564885747_a801c2ed58_o.png

Cheers, @ggl007
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I wonder if all these magazines will hype NTTD again in 6 month... Double the hype, double the excitement!

Though they won't really have new material to show.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    You have the Empire subscriber edition and the off the shelf one. Love it, that's proper dedication. I lap up everything too, us Bond fans are The stuff of marketing peoples dream's.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    QBranch wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Anybody?

89307877_10218276650519921_4778839415373955072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=FTCfbNaoBQQAX_-lEMc&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=d71b75454fd2e6b842f6ef257ba95c46&oe=5E91086D

Stop! I'm spending too much $$$ on magazines! ;) This is less than half of what I've got...:

Cheers, @ggl007
    Now, we'll have to buy March's ones and October's ones... Maybe Eliot Carver is behind all this...

:-O :D
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,772
    Received an Amazon notification about the soundtrack today. It's still listed for a march 27th release. I doubt it, but make of that what you will.

Oh, and the other day, at the station Montparnasse in Paris, the Swatch shop hyped the upcoming movie with a display of Bond watches. Guess they didn't get the memo either.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I preordered that really nice coffee table BTS book. That too is slated for an April release.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I preordered that really nice coffee table BTS book. That too is slated for an April release.

That's definitely being delayed - the author of it confirmed this.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gerard wrote: »
    Received an Amazon notification about the soundtrack today. It's still listed for a march 27th release. I doubt it, but make of that what you will.

Selfishly I do hope they do delay it: I don’t want to know it off by heart by the time I see the film! :)
  • Boyle had ‘madcap’ ‘extraordinary’ ideas
    A Danny Boyle Bond film would have been INSANE! I think we can all agree that Craig coming back one more time and doing a standalone Bond film with Boyle would be a great thing.
    Lashana Lynch is in VOGUE UK
    https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/lashana-lynch-james-bond-interview?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1583516179

Lashana%20Lynch%202.jpg
    Lashana%20Lynch%203.jpg
    Lashana.jpg

Lashana Lynch Is The Bond Star We’ve Been Waiting For

BY ELLIE AUSTIN

6 MARCH 2020

The 25th Bond film’s release may have been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak, but Lashana Lynch is ready to cause a stir in Her Majesty’s Secret Service when the film finally hits theatres in November. Ellie Austin meets the warm, wise and whip-smart star.

Just over a year ago, Lashana Lynch received a phone call from Barbara Broccoli, the celebrated film producer best known for the James Bond franchise. The call wasn’t completely out of the blue – Lynch had recently finished a play that Broccoli had produced, Ear for Eye, at London’s Royal Court theatre – but its specific purpose was cloaked in mystery.

“Barbara said she was interested in me taping for an unidentified project,” says Lynch, her lips creeping into a knowing grin. “I sent a tape in and then I didn’t hear anything for months. Eventually I got invited to a meeting and realised that it was definitely No Time to Die, but I still didn’t know whether I was being considered for a walk-on part or a lead character.”

It was, of course, the latter, and Lynch, 32, was cast as Nomi, a sophisticated and fiercely capable secret agent who inherits the “00” (licence to kill) designation while Bond is in self-imposed exile in Jamaica.

“The world’s moved on, Commander Bond,” purrs Nomi when Daniel Craig’s James returns to find that he has been replaced by – shock horror – a woman. But the story that played out online when the film’s trailer dropped at the end of last year suggested otherwise, with some Bond fans taking to social media to lambast the idea that a black woman could be the next 007 as political correctness gone mad. Did their response surprise her?

“I think it comes with playing positions of power on screen,” Lynch says matter-of-factly when we meet in a hotel restaurant on an icy New York morning. “No one likes change, particularly a small amount of white people who have a lot to say about the black experience. But none of that has anything to do with me personally. It could have been another black woman cast and the comments would have been the same.”

Dressed all in black (knitted dress, trainers, baker boy hat), Lynch is decidedly unstarry – a couple of times during our conversation she breaks out, unannounced, into an upper-body robot dance. She has a smart, dry sense of humour and exudes a genuine warmth that makes you want to pour your heart out to her – “I’m a hugger,” she says, enveloping me at the end of our chat.

It’s approaching lunchtime but Lynch, a pescatarian, isn’t feeling great and doesn’t think “that anything needs to go in my stomach. Sorry, I’m very TMI.”

Yet for all her openness, there’s a steeliness, too. Ask a question that she doesn’t want to answer (she won’t, for example, talk about her personal life) and she politely but very firmly steers the conversation in a different direction.

It’s her no-nonsense mother and grandmother who Lynch credits with shaping her own frank approach to life, as well as the fact that the headteachers of her primary, secondary and drama schools were all women. “I had really good examples of what I was able to do, not what my barriers were.” When she began acting, she says, “It didn’t make sense to me when you hear of people having a hard time casting a woman in a specific role or struggling to communicate with someone because she’s a feminist. My experience had just been open and female and wonderful.”

The youngest of three siblings born to Jamaican parents in west London (her mum was a senior housing officer, her dad a social worker), Lynch “only felt British outside the house”. The rest of the time it was “Jamaican language, food and discipline, which is direct but calm”. She enjoyed school, especially sport (“I can be quite feisty on the netball court”), but remembers grappling with her appearance.

“Hair was a massive factor,” she says. “I’ve always had natural hair, which is a big deal for a black girl… I used to do canerows and curls, which was wonderful at the time, but in retrospect, you realise you’re trying to channel someone other than yourself.”

It was at primary school that Lynch decided she wanted to act, took part in all the school plays and then enrolled at the Arts Educational Schools in Chiswick. Her break came in 2012, when she made her big-screen debut in Fast Girls, a feel-good British film about a female sprint relay team training for the World Championships. She went on to audition for Black Panther and Spider-Man: Homecoming before landing the role of Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel – the first female-led Marvel film in the franchise – opposite Brie Larson.

And now, in its 25th release, directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, she is poised to revolutionise Bond, too. The film will remain shrouded in mystery a little longer, with the recent announcement that its release has been pushed back from April to November (a move designed to safeguard its box office from the coronavirus outbreak that has been disrupting cinema attendance, especially in the film’s key market of China). What we do know is that No Time to Die is confirmed as Craig’s last outing as the world’s most famous spy - at the time of writing, a successor is yet to be announced. Some believe Lynch will be integral to the future of the franchise. Others suggest her “00” prefix is a gimmicky concession to those who have lobbied for a female Bond. She knows better than to tackle this head on. “I feel very grateful to experience this conversation happening around me. But regardless of what’s being said, people still like to be surprised in the cinema.”

Would she ever accept the opportunity to become the first female Bond if it was offered to her? “I don’t know,” she replies with a melodic, London twang. “It would depend on a lot of things. Nomi represents one thing in this movie, but if she was going to represent more down the line, I would want to talk about the black female experience to the high heavens, and I don’t know if people are ready for that.”

Once, during filming, Lashana spoke with Broccoli about why the producer had thought of her for the role of Nomi. Lynch recalls Barbara telling her, “‘Bond is an older white guy who has a certain opinion of the world and who maybe hasn’t had an experience of black women in this capacity. Then this black woman comes along and teaches him things.’ It blew my mind that Barbara was ready to say that so frankly, and was willing to insert that kind of relationship into a Bond film.”

The vision for her character was at the top of the agenda when Lynch sat down with Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who was hired by Broccoli and Craig to add some of her characteristic, offbeat humour to the film’s script. “I told Phoebe I wanted to represent a woman who was going through real issues,” says Lynch. “If the character has just broken up with her boyfriend, I want people to see that but know she’s turned up to work and is going to do the best job possible. I had an idea where Nomi could be on her period at one point. Phoebe said, ‘Let’s write it.’ There are moments with the women in the film where you think, ‘You’re dealing with so much right now, but you’re still being badass.’ I think that’s what it means to be a woman in 2020.”

Lynch won’t be drawn on what it was like working with Craig, other than to say it was a “beautiful” experience. “He brought everything that I needed,” she says. “I didn’t need to work on carving out a connection with him.”

Lynch took her mum to watch Craig film his “emotional” final scene as Bond. “It felt like such a momentous moment,” she reflects. “People’s whole lives can change in the time it takes to shoot one movie, so for him to have done five is a massive deal. It’s been years of his life. But he was so graceful. He did a 20-second speech and then said [she puts on a low, gravelly voice], ‘Barbara, you say something.’ That’s him all over.”

The wrap party was as dazzling as you’d expect. “It was at Freemasons’ Hall in Covent Garden and it was massive and glamorous and shiny and moody. Everyone was holding a martini glass. I never really have martinis, but I was going to have one that night!”

Although Lynch now finds herself based in America for months at a time, home is still London, and she has recently bought her own place. “I’m a granny at heart, so everything is very calm,” she laughs. “I’m a candle, incense, poetry-book kind of person and I spend a lot of time on video calls with my friends and family.”

For all her excitement at the hype surrounding the film, Lynch is adamant that the progress reflected in its casting and portrayal of complex characters such as Nomi shouldn’t be seen as a sign that Hollywood has solved its diversity problem. “I’m really aware of cinema becoming reliant on one project and I don’t want No Time to Die to be that project,” she says firmly. “Nothing has been completed yet.”

As we say our goodbyes, I ask what completion would look like? “When no one reacts to there being a black lead in a film,” she says. “While I’m glad that these milestones are celebrated, the fact that they are means they’re still delicate and difficult for people to digest. We need to reverse where we are, which is, ‘Don’t cast that person or finance that movie because it might be a little too forward for where we are in the world right now.’ If we force the change, people will have to get used to it.”
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited March 2020 Posts: 573
    As a woman, the period thing is too much. It's too obvious. Too shoehorned in. We get it. We have periods. We have them roughly every 28 days. Men don't but they sure as hell know about them. It's a natural bodily process. We don't need to draw all this attention to it. It is what it is. It's nothing special and no one gives a flying... you fill in the rest. A Bond movie isn't an education on menstruation and I really can't imagine a female 00 being that invested in it either.

I really hope that it was just written and didn't make the final cut.

Frustrating.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Stunning photos!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I hope Lynch doesn't become a screenwriter at any point in her career. It sounds like it would be about as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185
    00Heaven wrote: »
    As a woman, the period thing is too much. It's too obvious. Too shoehorned in. We get it. We have periods. We have them roughly every 28 days. Men don't but they sure as hell know about them. It's a natural bodily process. We don't need to draw all this attention to it. It is what it is. It's nothing special and no one gives a flying... you fill in the rest. A Bond movie isn't an education on menstruation and I really can't imagine a female 00 being that invested in it either.

Frustrating.

But don't you feel... "Represented?" :)

Guess this whole agenda thing doesn't work then does it?
    Of course i agree with you @00Heaven

But as Lashana says in her final Paragraph "we have to force the change so people have to get used to it."
    Which is so utterly cringy and stupid.
    No one has a Problem with black leads now, people have a Problem with race swapping historic characters for no other reason than to "force" something.

Frustrating.

You haven't heard the joke yet. So seems premature to have made a decision on it.

Also, the Vogue article confirms that Nomi inherits the '007' mantle whilst Bond is in self-imposed exile.

ESXLY2pXsAIhQd4?format=jpg&name=small
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited March 2020 Posts: 573
    I don't need to hear the joke. I've heard enough. I can make whatever opinion I want on it from that alone, thank you very much.
    But don't you feel... "Represented?"

@00agent Sure. If I was about 12 years old. Sorry. It's just genuinely a juvenile thing to me. It just seems daft.

Frustrating.

You haven't heard the joke yet. So seems premature to have made a decision on it.

Also, the Vogue article confirms that Nomi inherits the '007' mantle whilst Bond is in self-imposed exile.

Not it doesn't. All it said was that she "inherits the '00' (licence to kill) designation while Bond is in self-imposed exile in Jamaica." Yes, we all think it's likely she'll be 007, but this still isn't an official confirmation.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The_Return wrote: »
    Boyle had ‘madcap’ ‘extraordinary’ ideas
    A Danny Boyle Bond film would have been INSANE! I think we can all agree that Craig coming back one more time and doing a standalone Bond film with Boyle would be a great thing.

Yeah, always liked Danny Boyle's directing style....although, one thing he likes doing in his films is using old music to replace half the film's score. Of course it works in a normal film, but it definitely wouldn't suit Bond. That's another thing that might rule him out....that's if he's ever considered again.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »

Frustrating.

Not it doesn't. All it said was that she "inherits the '00' (licence to kill) designation while Bond is in self-imposed exile in Jamaica." Yes, we all think it's likely she'll be 007, but this still isn't an official confirmation.

Everybody reads what they want to read until the film confirms it, one way or the other.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    00Agent wrote: »

Frustrating.

But don't you feel... "Represented?" :)

But as Lashana says in her final Paragraph "we have to force the change so people have to get used to it."
    Which is so utterly cringy and stupid.
    No one has a Problem with black leads now, people have a Problem with race swapping historic characters for no other reason than to "force" something.

If you think no one has had a problem with her race then you haven't been reading these boards very long! :D
    She's 100% right; not cringey or stupid at all.

Frustrating.

Yeah agreed. I think the inference is that it isn't in the movie (I don't know if it's a joke or what), but I'm not going to say it's bad without hearing how they'd approach it. We've seen Bond shave, throw up, visit quite a few toilets etc. - all of which sound very un-Bond in prospect but I'm sure few here would complain about the actual scenes in which we've seen it happen.

It doesn't quite say that. I'm sure it's true, but the article doesn't confirm her as 007 just yet.
    For those eagle-eyed individuals who say Cary's schedule, you'd have noticed that he was still meeting with Dan Romer in October 2019 and that Daniel Kleinman shot the title sequence in December 2019.

Also, this guy loves going on vacation. I spotted breaks in Sweden, Devon, New Orleans amongst others. All in 2018/2019.

Has anyone done Myers-Briggs? Cary looks as if he's one of those super-organised people who loves to colour-tab different things.

Did anyone spot anything else?