"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• Birdleson wrote: »
    When I first came on these boards, I was surprised that COLUMBO was so well known outside of the US. As I've mentioned before, I grew up with COLUMBO in America; I was six when the pilot ran, and, as my mother was a murder mystery fanatic and those were the days of one television per household, I saw most every installment up until the end of the late '70s, when, as a high school student, I pretty much abandoned television aside from SNL (when it was raw and dangerous) and a few sporadic specials or late night fare. But I felt like Falk's Columbo was one of those classic characters that I knew personally. When was it first aired in the UK?

I think it was on in the 70s in the UK. I remember it was always on the BBC in the afternoons in the 1990s. I'd never really watched it, and ended up watching The Conspirators episode, and have been a Columbo fan ever since.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Gerard wrote: »
    Didn't think it existed, but it does... in France :

ukhxbeSJzWJrcbsVYi9SYHC9ob0.jpg

Always happy to see sexy Janeway, a Star Trek reference.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Mrs. Columbo is just dreadful. I watched it on one of the Columbo DVD sets and while I watched the whole thing, it was more like not taking my eyes off the car accident.

How this got the greenlight I will never know. I heard that NBC wanted Columbo back the producers didn't so NBC decided to make up Mrs Columbo instead. The episode had a ventriloquist and it was just dire.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 17,279
    thedove wrote: »
    Mrs. Columbo is just dreadful. I watched it on one of the Columbo DVD sets and while I watched the whole thing, it was more like not taking my eyes off the car accident.

How this got the greenlight I will never know. I heard that NBC wanted Columbo back the producers didn't so NBC decided to make up Mrs Columbo instead. The episode had a ventriloquist and it was just dire.

It is strange, that's for sure.
    ________

Took the time to watch Any Old Port in a Storm tonight, and what an episode it is. Donald Pleasence delivered a great performance as Adrian Carsini, which Peter Falk himself mentioned in this 1973 Johnny Carson interview:

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2020 Posts: 17,804
    Yes, I agree that Any Old Port in a Storm is a great episode, @Torgeirtrap. Falk and Pleasence are in top form in that one. The ending where they are both taliking in Columbo's car is especially excellent. You can really see how good a rapport they had together.

I meant to post that Johnny Carson interview here a while ago when I first found them on YouTube but here are a few others I've found instead:

Peter Falk on the Johnny Carson Show promoting Season 2 opener Etude in Black (1972):

Peter Falk on the Johnny Carson Show promoting Season 4 opener An Exercise in Fatality (1974):

Great clips thanks for sharing them! I love Any Old Port in a Storm it is so well done. The ending is such a treat with the two great men sitting and enjoying a drink before the arrest.
    These recent posts remind me that my brother "borrowed" my cigar box set before I had even opened it. What a perfect time to view these classics. Will have to retrieve ASAP
    Wow I haven't seen him interview Lazenby. I have seen the Connery and Caine interview for TMWWBK and it was great stuff.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 17,279
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Yes, I agree that Any Old Port in a Storm is a great episode, @Torgeirtrap. Falk and Pleasence are in top form in that one. The ending where they are both taliking in Columbo's car is especially excellent. You can really see how good a rapport they had together.

It's one of my very favourite endings; the moment he confronts Carsini not so much, but that scene in the car is just superb. Also, the restaurant scene is top notch!

I meant to post that Johnny Carson interview herd a while ago when I first found them on YouTube but here are a few others I've found instead:

Peter Falk on the Johnny Carson Show promoting Season 2 opener Etude in Black (1972):

Peter Falk on the Johnny Carson Show promoting Season 4 opener An Exercise in Fatality (1975):

Never seen these before. Didn't know Falk was such a regular!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 17,804
    Birdleson wrote: »

I meant to post that Johnny Carson interview herd a while ago when I first found them on YouTube but here are a few others I've found instead:

Peter Falk on the Johnny Carson Show promoting Season 4 opener An Exercise in Fatality (1975):

Did you guys in the UK get the Carson show (THE TONIGHT SHOW)? It was such a big part of my life. Johnny took over that seat the month that I was born (also the month DN was released) and held it well after I had left college. He's done several Connery and Moore interviews. Even George, I believe.

@Birdleson: sorry, I was mistakenly calling it the Johnny Carson Show. I suppose it may have been known as that colloquially though?

I'm not sure if The Tonight Show was shown here in the UK at that time as I wasn't born until 1984. I'm sure some of our other members here might know the answer though. It's interesting to note that Johnny Carson interviewed some of the Bond actors too. I don't think I've seen any of those. I'll have to try to seek them out!

Something else that has just come to mind is that Johnny Carson and The Tonight Show actually feature on the TV set watched by the butler and maid in the Season 5 opener Forgotten Lady (1975). I assume it was from an actual edition of the show and not filmed specifically for inclusion in Columbo. Perhaps it was included as a little thank you and acknowledgement to Johnny Carson and the show for helping with the promotion of the show on several occasions prior to that? I'd need to go back and check that episode again as it's been a while since I watched it. I'm afraid it's not a favourite episode of mine but I am due a rewatch of that one soon.

I'm also reminded that Johnny Carson himself spoofed Peter Falk as Columbo in 1975 on The Tonight Show in the following sketch:

Birdleson wrote: »
    Thanks fOr the answer @Dragonpol !

My pleasure, @Birdleson. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help in knowing whether The Tonight Show was broadcast on UK TV! No doubt someone here knows though. :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2020 Posts: 6,724
    Regarding the Falk interviews, IIRC, he always made sure to personally mention the date and time when the upcoming episode would be broadcast, and he did it in the middle of the interview, in mid-conversation, not at the end as it appears to be customary these days (that information is often totally drowned out by the audience applause). He did that on Conan, as well, when promoting Columbo Likes the Nightlife. I found that interesting, and I'm surprised I've not seen other people doing the same on these shows.

---

A "feller" on YouTube has uploaded music of most of the Columbo episodes.

I really like this, from everyone's favorite episode.

I also recommend this great little instrumental version of Rags to Riches (from 1992's "A Bird in the Hand").

---

Someone put up on YouTube the 1981 version of Dial M for Murder. Listen to the end credits, by Billy Goldenberg.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,279
    mattjoes wrote: »

I also recommend this great little instrumental version of Rags to Riches (from 1992's "A Bird in the Hand").

---

Someone put up on YouTube the 1981 version of Dial M for Murder. Listen to the end credits, by Billy Goldenberg.

Thanks for posting these, @mattjoes!

The Dial M for Murder end credits were very Columbo-esque!
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,804
    An interesting newly uploaded video on YouTube on Columbo:

---

You're welcome, @Torgeirtrap. I agree about the credits. I didn't know Goldenberg had done the music when I first listened to it, but after hearing it, there was no doubt the composer had to be from Columbo.

An interesting newly uploaded video on YouTube on Columbo:

Nice summary of the series' history. There were a few things I didn't know and/or remember. Thanks for posting.

Is there any way to watch Enough Rope?

---

You're welcome, @Torgeirtrap. I agree about the credits. I didn't know Goldenberg had done the music when I first listened to it, but after hearing it, there was no doubt the composer had to be from Columbo.

It could make you wonder if the music was from Columbo too!

Also, I didn't know there was a Dial M for Murder remake before you posted this. I might have to give it a watch.
    Ive got my cigar box collection back from my brother - first movie tonight - very interested to see how they change over time.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,804
    patb wrote: »
    Ive got my cigar box collection back from my brother - first movie tonight - very interested to see how they change over time.

Enjoy! You've got some fantastic viewing ahead of you. It is interesting to see how the character develops over time. I'm thinking of watching an episode from the cigar boxset myself tonight.
    Watched Candidate for Crime last night. Not my favourite episode, but I really like how Columbo takes down Nelson Hayward at the end of the episode.
    Watched Candidate for Crime last night. Not my favourite episode, but I really like how Columbo takes down Nelson Hayward at the end of the episode.

Yes, that has to be in the Top 10 best endings! He's such a smarmy guy so it's nice to see him taken down a peg or two!

Yes, that has to be in the Top 10 best endings! He's such a smarmy guy so it's nice to see him taken down a peg or two!

Certainly! You just love to see Columbo delivering such a laid-back "gotcha" after all the commotion that preceded it!
    The ending makes me a bit anxious, for some reason. I think it's the fact Hayward comes across as really foolish when Columbo reveals he already dug out the bullet. The Lt. doesn't unmask him as the murderer by uncovering a subtle logic blunder in his story, but by catching him in a very clear and blatant lie. Hayward's downfall makes me think of when one says some dumb thing in the middle of a business or school presentation.
    That is a good gotcha and one that ranks high on my list of satisfying conclusions. I recently re-watched a Stitch in Crime. I had forgotten how villainous Nimoy is as the Doctor. Emotional detachment and a single view to how things should be.

The scene where he laughs openly at Columbo. Chills how the Lt. receives it and then delivers a tongue lashing. Great stuff!
    The ending makes me a bit anxious, for some reason. I think it's the fact Hayward comes across as really foolish when Columbo reveals he already dug out the bullet. The Lt. doesn't unmask him as the murderer by uncovering a subtle logic blunder in his story, but by catching him in a very clear and blatant lie. Hayward's downfall makes me think of when one says some dumb thing in the middle of a business or school presentation.

Never thought about the ending that way, but you got a point there.
    thedove wrote: »
    That is a good gotcha and one that ranks high on my list of satisfying conclusions. I recently re-watched a Stitch in Crime. I had forgotten how villainous Nimoy is as the Doctor. Emotional detachment and a single view to how things should be.

The scene where he laughs openly at Columbo. Chills how the Lt. receives it and then delivers a tongue lashing. Great stuff!

That scene always makes me jump a little when Columbo gets back at Mayfield with such rage!
    I noticed the YouTube Columbo music playlist I shared doesn't include the music of 1990's Agenda for Murder. I love the end credits music, so I decided it to rip it from my copy of the film and share it here as well:

Music by David Michael Frank.
    Well, I cracked open the cigar box set (after Goldeneye) tonight and episode one was great but something felt wrong so I checked on wiki and there are two pilot episodes so I've already got the order wrong. Still enjoyed it very much. There is a scene where he is making an omelette (very technical for an actor) and you see him genuinely prepare the food, he even helps himself to a piece of raw onion from the chopping board.
    That's the one with Jack Cassidy. Great episode. You aren't too far out of order and unlike series today there is little continuity between episodes. The first pilot aired in 1968? Then the one you just watched aired in 1971? The murderers in both are top notch!
    patb wrote: »
    Well, I cracked open the cigar box set (after Goldeneye) tonight and episode one was great but something felt wrong so I checked on wiki and there are two pilot episodes so I've already got the order wrong. Still enjoyed it very much. There is a scene where he is making an omelette (very technical for an actor) and you see him genuinely prepare the food, he even helps himself to a piece of raw onion from the chopping board.

Murder by the Book is my favourite Columbo episode. Never tried making a Columbo style omelette though. I should try that at some point.
    I find Murder by the Book slightly overrated, myself. I tend to prefer its two predecessors, and its immediate successor. It's still a good episode for sure.
    Considering it was Episode 1, I was surprised how rounded the character was and how many "pieces of the jigsaw" were in place. The classic formula is very clear to see. Does not look like my set has the two pilots - annoying.