"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    You can really see how the quality of TV came down after the 70's. There is a cinematic quality to many of the early episodes of the series. Even the Guest Stars were pretty big talent. Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh, etc. Then in the eighties the murderers become B-list celebrities. I also think the editing and scenes are so well executed in the early series.

This sequence from Death Lends a Hand. The perfect blend of music and filming. High quality stuff and editing you don't see on TV usually.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,280
    Definitely agree, @thedove. Many of the Columbo episodes have a feature film quality to them, and interestingly, some episodes got theatrical releases in Europe (in Italy, for example).

daggerposter.jpg
    ransom-artwork.jpg

I really need to get myself a Columbo poster print.

That Death Lends a Hand sequence is really fantastic. I remember watching the episode on TV as a kid, and I was completely amazed by the split screen editing seen through the glasses of Carl Brimmer (Robert Culp). I still am!
    Yes it was very much ahead of it's time. I wasn't aware that in Europe they were released as features.

thedove wrote: »
    Yes it was very much ahead of it's time. I wasn't aware that in Europe they were released as features.

I don't know how many of them were released in cinemas, but Ransom for a Dead Man was one of them (UK in 1973 and Italy in 1978, according to columbophile.com) – and all the episodes that you find Italian poster artwork for, I guess.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Those surreal, stylized moments in Ransom and Death are great. A sort of representation of the altered state of mind of the murderers while doing the killing, of the moral barrier they crossed, and of the irreversible act of extinguishing a life. Pity they stopped doing them as the show went along. The music is remarkable, as well.

Love the posters. That shot of Columbo smoking in Riscatto per un uomo morto is awesome.
    Good point @mattjoes, those moments certainly adds something to the murder sequences. I love the differences between the two sequences too – and the differences between the two murderers; the stone cold look on Lee Grant's face as she fires the gun, and the contrasting image of Robert Culp's almost shock-like state of mind as he realises what has happened.

I guess it would have been difficult for them to replicate or find new ways of showing stylised moments like these, but it would have been great if they had found a way to do it – even if just for a couple episodes each season.

Those Italian posters are brilliant. On that note, love your new profile pic! :-D

I also love this UK poster for Ransom. Very minimalistic, but very cool (and very 70's!):

Columbo-Ransom-For-A-Dead-Man-1971-Original.jpg

Edit: here's a Hungarian one too!

2609174953.322.w355.Ewms.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Those surreal, stylized moments in Ransom and Death are great. A sort of representation of the altered state of mind of the murderers while doing the killing, of the moral barrier they crossed, and of the irreversible act of extinguishing a life. Pity they stopped doing them as the show went along. The music is remarkable, as well.

Love the posters. That shot of Columbo smoking in Riscatto per un uomo morto is awesome.

I agree, @mattjoes. 'Death Lends A Hand' is my personal favourite episode of Columbo. Robert Culp is by far my favourite Columbo guest star killer. There's a teeny little bit of this sort of thing carried over into the Season 2 opener 'Étude in Black' (1972) starring John Cassavetes. In the scene where Cassavetes' Alex Benedict first meets Lt. Columbo at the house where he killed Jenifer Welles he spots the flower that has fallen off his suit under the piano and the camera superimposes the zooming in of the image of the flower onto his sunglasses as he is talking to Columbo. It's a lovely touch and pretty much the last example of that type of thing in Columbo.

However, when Columbo returned on the ABC network from 1989 onwards there were a few attempts to kind of return to this flashy cinematography (for want of a better term) with Columbo dressed as a ringmaster bowing in the killer Alex Brady's (played by Fisher Stevens) vision at the end of Columbo: Murder, Smoke and Shadows (1989). It wasn't really the same of course or as well done and they never did anything like that again in any of the newer episodes to follow, and that was maybe just as well. You can see the scene I'm referring to here:

Good point @mattjoes, those moments certainly adds something to the murder sequences. I love the differences between the two sequences too – and the differences between the two murderers; the stone cold look on Lee Grant's face as she fires the gun, and the contrasting image of Robert Culp's almost shock-like state of mind as he realises what has happened.
    You're right, @Torgeirtrap!

Those Italian posters are brilliant. On that note, love your new profile pic! :-D
    I thought you might! ;)

I also love this UK poster for Ransom. Very minimalistic, but very cool (and very 70's!):

Love it. Instantly reminded me of this:

full_vertigo_web_25372__19800.1556889037.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

The last line of the tagline is all wrong, though! They could've left it off and it would've worked alright.

Speaking of Columbo posters, I was inspired to make this:

ilBUHPD.png

Dragonpol wrote: »

I agree, @mattjoes. 'Death Lends A Hand' is my personal favourite episode of Columbo. Robert Culp is by far my favourite Columbo guest star killer. There's a teeny little bit of this sort of thing carried over into the Season 2 opener 'Étude in Black' (1972) starring John Cassavetes. In the scene where Cassavetes' Alex Benedict first meets Lt. Columbo at the house where he killed Jenifer Welles he spots the flower that has fallen off his suit under the piano and the camera superimposes the zooming in of the image of the flower onto his sunglasses as he is talking to Columbo. It's a lovely touch and pretty much the last example of that type of thing in Columbo.
    I'd forgotten about that touch with the flower, @Dragonpol. I like it. And Cassavetes is fantastic in that episode. "Goodbye, genius." And the whisper in Blythe Danner's ear. I don't think it's possible to make out what he says to her. All the better. Stimulates one's imagination.

However, when Columbo returned on the ABC network from 1989 onwards there were a few attempts to kind of return to this flashy cinematography (for want of a better term) with Columbo dressed as a ringmaster bowing in the killer Alex Brady's (played by Fisher Stevens) vision at the end of Columbo: Murder, Smoke and Shadows (1989). It wasn't really the same of course or as well done and they never did anything like that again in any of the newer episodes to follow, and that was maybe just as well. You can see the scene I'm referring to here:

I agree it isn't as well done. There is a certain logic to the idea --after all, there is always a bit of theatricality and spectacle to the resolution of a Columbo episode-- but in this case it's taken a bit too far. It could've used a little restrain-- introducing the "cast" is fine, but I wouldn't have Columbo speaking like an announcer, and I wouldn't show him dressed as a ringmaster, even if it's just a bit of fantasy. You know what? It reminds me of the ending of How to Dial a Murder, when Columbo pulls out pieces of evidence from the pockets of the pool table. There is a stylishness to it, but it's a little frail, because once you start to imagine Columbo placing the objects in the pockets (or preparing that reveal for that Spielberg clone, or whatever), it loses its luster somewhat.
    I love the little touches Falk put into scenes. I am not sure if it was written into the script or whether he added these touches. I refer you to the gotcha scene of "The Most Crucial Game" with Culp again. The indigestion or gas that he experiences while talking with Culp's character. You see the frustration on Culp and the effect it has on him. Then Columbo pointing out that the players on "On the 10 yard line." He hasn't even been watching the action on the field and yet he can tell the guy with binoculars where the players are. :)

The last line of the tagline is all wrong, though! They could've left it off and it would've worked alright.

I didn't notice that! I guess they took a few liberties with the tagline to bring more people to the theatre.

I didn't think of the similarity to the Vertigo poster either, but now that you mention it, you see where they might have got a bit of inspiration from. A lot of designers have been inspired by the work of Saul Bass.

ilBUHPD.png

Nice one! Much like you were reminded of the Vertigo poster, I was here reminded of this one for The Ipcress File (one of my favourite movies):

the_ipcress_file_michael_caine_1965_movie_poster_masterprint_s9rvpada0-600x600.jpg
    Finished rewatching season 1 over the weekend. Just for fun, here's my ranking of the episodes:

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

On a side note; I've never though of it before just now, but I like the way the episode titles sound when you say them. Almost like a Bond film title feel to it.
    Good ranking!! Personally I find “Lady in Waiting” underrated. I thought Susan Clark did a very good job as the murderess! I especially love her transformation from this mousy sympathetic character to the cold and overbearing woman she becomes, her disdain for Columbia growing more and more.

Just curious, how would you rank the season 1 murderers? Ross Martin and Robert Culp would be my favorites. Of course the 2 episodes they are in are also my favorites for the season. Ross Martin was actually Peter Falk’s acting teacher or mentor and you can definitely see great chemistry between the two.

There's no doubt that Susan Clark made a great villain as Beth Chadwick; I find her particularly creepy (in lack of a better word) the moment Columbo confronts her at the end, and the smile she makes when Columbo tells her to get changed.

Ranking the season 1 murderers id a very difficult task – much like ranking the Bond films. I'll give it a try:
    1. Ken Franklin (Jack Cassidy) - Maybe not the smartest murderer of season 1, but Jack Cassidy has always been a favourite of mine.
    2. Dale Kingston (Ross Martin) - The most unpleasant killer of season 1? Dale Kingston is such a great character.
    3. Carl Brimmer (Robert Culp) - I just love how tough he is in this episode.
    4. Beth Chadwick (Susan Clark) - The transformation (as you mentioned) makes this episode. She even puts Columbo in danger at the end!
    5. Elliot Markham (Patrick O'Neal) – A killer that tries to oursmart and humiliate Columbo at the same time? That's great television!
    6. Roger Stanford (Roddy McDowall) - It's entertaining to see a character that's equal amounts of playful and unpleasant. I love the cable car finale.
    7. General Martin Hollister (Eddie Albert) - General Hollister is a good character, but the other killers made more of an impression, IMO.

PS: I didn't know that fact about Ross Martin and Peter Falk. No wonder they made such a great pairing in Suitable for Framing!

How would your season 1 murderers list look like, @ringfire211?
    Ross Martin was quite the actor. One only needs to look at THE WILD WILD WEST to see how great he was with voices. He could mimic almost any accent. Somehow Falk always looked older to me so I was quite surprised that Martin was the mentor and Falk the student. Well, one could argue that Falk ended up surpassing his teacher.

I really would need to rewatch season 1 to get an accurate ranking for my killers but I guess off the top of my head it would look something like this:

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    4. Jack Cassidy (haven’t seen this one in ages but Cassidy is always great)
    5. Patrick O’Neal (also haven’t seen it in ages)
    6. Roddy McDowall
    7. Eddie Albert (has a bit of a harmless grandpa look to him)

There’s something about Roddy that doesn’t quite work for me. His childlike persona for me is annoying and his babbling at the end in the cable car and going nuts comes across fake or forced. I dunno, maybe it’s just me. Otherwise he’s a fine actor. Maybe it’s just the characterization.

The Wild Wild West is a show I should try and watch again; it used to be aired on TV in the late 90's in the weekend mornings over here if I remember correctly, and I haven't seen it since. Being just a kid then I hardly remember anything from it, but I seem to remember Robert Conrad's sleeve gun for some reason. It left an impression, I guess! Unfortunately, I can't remember Ross Martin much, but I've seen him being brilliant in other roles – like in Columbo.

The age gap between Martin and Falk doesn't show in Suitable for Framing, that's for sure. But I guess the disheveled look of Falk's character contributes to that. Dale Kingston in comparison, is a very tidy looking man.

Nice list! I guess I can agree about McDowall – at least slightly. It's a character you either enjoy or not, perhaps. And the babbling in the cable car scene might have been a bit over the top.
    THE WILD WILD WEST is not a show that I’m a particular fan of (a bit too “out there” for me) but I have been checking out a few episodes due to the overlap in music on that show and on HAWAII FIVE-O (a favorite show of mine). Both shows were CBS shows and shared some of its music score in certain episodes. I’m a big fan of the FIVE-O music by the likes of Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, Don Ray, etc. Anyway I’ve gone off on a tangent, but Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon is definitely an interesting character on that show. A master of disguise and various accents!

Speaking of music scores “Lady in Waiting” by Billy Goldenberg is probably my all-time favorite COLUMBO score!! It’s brilliant!! So that’s another feather in that episode’s cap.
    https://youtu.be/M-BQ8OZxI7Q
    Goldenberg of course did the suspenseful score for Spielberg’s DUEL and a few other COLUMBOs as well.

Didn't know The Wild Wild West and Hawaii Five-O shared music. That's a bit surprising, as the two shows are very different. I do like the music from Hawaii Five-O, though. I managed to catch a couple of seasons before Netflix unfortunately removed the show from it's catalogue. I need to buy some seasons on DVD/Blu-ray and continue watching it.

I agree re. Billy Goldenberg – he made some fantastic music for Columbo. I don't know if I have a favourite score of his (or any of the other composers), but Lady in Waiting is definitely up there among the best. I also really like the funky opening track of Short Fuse by Gil Mellé:

If I am not mistaken Short Fuse was rushed into production and the story wasn't fully conceptualized. I find the episode lacking which is a shame cause Roddie should have been a great villain.

The Wild Wild West is a show that has some ties to Bond. It was within the spy craze of the mid 60's. The one character is called James, although West is his last name. Martin played the Q to Conrad's Bond. Lots of girls and glamour in the show. Been a while since I watched it.

Interesting info. re. Short Fuse, @thedove. I agree that It's an episode that lacks that little extra some of the other season 1 episodes have. Still enjoyable though.

I seem to remember The Wild Wild West being a bit Bondian. Another reason to check it out again.

That’s a neat little number there by Gil Melle!! My favorite would be his murder scene music (seen through Culp’s glasses) in “Death Lends a Hand”. I gravitate towards the darker and more eerie/sinister music, especially that of Goldenberg. His 3 from season 1 are all excellent and sinister - Murder by the Book, Suitable for Framing, and Lady in Waiting. The last one (my favorite) was Emmy-nominated.

Also check out this unsettling one by Dick DeBenedictis!!! Awesome stuff!!
    https://youtu.be/rsFayk7v5kw

I didn't notice that! I guess they took a few liberties with the tagline to bring more people to the theatre.
    True. They're not even selling it as a Columbo story.

ilBUHPD.png

Nice one! Much like you were reminded of the Vertigo poster, I was here reminded of this one for The Ipcress File (one of my favourite movies):

the_ipcress_file_michael_caine_1965_movie_poster_masterprint_s9rvpada0-600x600.jpg
    Good catch! Glasses can make for some interesting images.

---

On the subject of music, here's another one I like. Especially the percussion (sounds like the victim banging on the door of the safe). Great scene as well, with great lighting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iRgqqywphzw&t=46m08s

---

I was thinking about Dabney Coleman's appearance in Double Shock. Entertaining role. Michael Caine tells a story of when he had a supporting role in a play (or a film), and the director told him he should think of all the wonderful things his character could say, and then choose not to say them. In other words, act like you're important, like you're the star of your own movie, even if you have a small role. Fill your part with life, so to speak. Dabney Coleman takes that approach. He provides information to Columbo but doesn't appear subservient to him. He doesn't make eye contact with him all the time. There are things in his mind. He chews gum. You can imagine this character has a life of his own beyond his brief appearance in the episode.

Bob Dishy as Wilson was another good character. Happy they brought him back and they could've done it again, in my opinion.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 17,805

ilBUHPD.png

---

On the subject of music, here's another one I like. Especially the percussion (sounds like the victim banging on the door of the safe). Great scene as well, with great lighting.

---

I was thinking about Dabney Coleman's appearance in Double Shock. Entertaining role. Michael Caine tells a story of when he had a supporting role in a play (or a film), and the director told him he should think of all the wonderful things his character could say, and then choose not to say them. In other words, act like you're important, like you're the star of your own movie, even if you have a small role. Fill your part with life, so to speak. Dabney Coleman takes that approach. He provides information to Columbo but doesn't appear subservient to him. He doesn't make eye contact with him all the time. There are things in his mind. He chews gum. You can imagine this character has a life of his own beyond his brief appearance in the episode.

Bob Dishy as Wilson was another good character. Happy they brought him back and they could've done it again, in my opinion.

Yes and Dabney Coleman (who was a friend of Peter Falk's) returned as the guest star killer in Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star (1991). It's a brilliant episode but not a great title unfortunately, especially when compared with the pithy and clever titles episode titles of the '70s run. I found Dabney Coleman very entertaining in that episode. In the same way, Ed Begley Jr. (another friend of Falk's) also played a policeman in a '70s episode (in 1978's How to Dial A Murder ). He later played the killer in the atypical episode Columbo: Undercover (1994) which was one of two episodes based on a Ed McBain novel.

I suppose that another example of this type of thing (within the '70s run itself) would be Joyce Van Patten appearing as a nun in Negative Reaction (1974) and going on to play the killer in Old Fashioned Murder (1976). Incidentally, I watched Old Fashioned Murder today again and I think it is my least favourite episode from the 1970s run. It's so badly written (full of plot holes), acted and indeed directed with a number of obvious insert shots. The scene where Janie Brandt and Dr Tim Shaeffer talk as they're leaving his apartment is totally dubbed as in the footage shown they never open their mouths! It's just very odd. It's as close as the 1970s Columbo episodes ever come to being boring too. It just really feels like an episode too many and it pains me to say it of one of the 1970s episodes. That's just my opinion of course!

On Bob Dishy's two appearances as Sergeant Wilson, I agree. I wish we had seen a little more of him. He's the one sergeant that gets closest to playing Columbo's sidekick, like Holmes and Watson. I especially enjoy his second appearance in Now You See Him (1976) where he's much more effective in helping Columbo solve the case than he ever was in his first appearance in The Greenhouse Jungle (1972). He's my favourite sergeant in the series as he's developed more and given more screen time than any other sergeant that appears alongside Columbo. Usually they are just functional characters to provide the necessary plot exposition for Columbo and the viewer. I also like Bruce Kirby's various turns as Sergeant Kramer but he's a more slow-witted sergeant and comic foil!
    Finished rewatching season 1 over the weekend. Just for fun, here's my ranking of the episodes:

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

On a side note; I've never though of it before just now, but I like the way the episode titles sound when you say them. Almost like a Bond film title feel to it.
    Good ranking!! Personally I find “Lady in Waiting” underrated. I thought Susan Clark did a very good job as the murderess! I especially love her transformation from this mousy sympathetic character to the cold and overbearing woman she becomes, her disdain for Columbia growing more and more.

Just curious, how would you rank the season 1 murderers? Ross Martin and Robert Culp would be my favorites. Of course the 2 episodes they are in are also my favorites for the season. Ross Martin was actually Peter Falk’s acting teacher or mentor and you can definitely see great chemistry between the two.

There's no doubt that Susan Clark made a great villain as Beth Chadwick; I find her particularly creepy (in lack of a better word) the moment Columbo confronts her at the end, and the smile she makes when Columbo tells her to get changed.

Ranking the season 1 murderers id a very difficult task – much like ranking the Bond films. I'll give it a try:
    1. Ken Franklin (Jack Cassidy) - Maybe not the smartest murderer of season 1, but Jack Cassidy has always been a favourite of mine.
    2. Dale Kingston (Ross Martin) - The most unpleasant killer of season 1? Dale Kingston is such a great character.
    3. Carl Brimmer (Robert Culp) - I just love how tough he is in this episode.
    4. Beth Chadwick (Susan Clark) - The transformation (as you mentioned) makes this episode. She even puts Columbo in danger at the end!
    5. Elliot Markham (Patrick O'Neal) – A killer that tries to oursmart and humiliate Columbo at the same time? That's great television!
    6. Roger Stanford (Roddy McDowall) - It's entertaining to see a character that's equal amounts of playful and unpleasant. I love the cable car finale.
    7. General Martin Hollister (Eddie Albert) - General Hollister is a good character, but the other killers made more of an impression, IMO.

PS: I didn't know that fact about Ross Martin and Peter Falk. No wonder they made such a great pairing in Suitable for Framing!

How would your season 1 murderers list look like, @ringfire211?
    Ross Martin was quite the actor. One only needs to look at THE WILD WILD WEST to see how great he was with voices. He could mimic almost any accent. Somehow Falk always looked older to me so I was quite surprised that Martin was the mentor and Falk the student. Well, one could argue that Falk ended up surpassing his teacher.

I really would need to rewatch season 1 to get an accurate ranking for my killers but I guess off the top of my head it would look something like this:

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    4. Jack Cassidy (haven’t seen this one in ages but Cassidy is always great)
    5. Patrick O’Neal (also haven’t seen it in ages)
    6. Roddy McDowall
    7. Eddie Albert (has a bit of a harmless grandpa look to him)

There’s something about Roddy that doesn’t quite work for me. His childlike persona for me is annoying and his babbling at the end in the cable car and going nuts comes across fake or forced. I dunno, maybe it’s just me. Otherwise he’s a fine actor. Maybe it’s just the characterization.

The Wild Wild West is a show I should try and watch again; it used to be aired on TV in the late 90's in the weekend mornings over here if I remember correctly, and I haven't seen it since. Being just a kid then I hardly remember anything from it, but I seem to remember Robert Conrad's sleeve gun for some reason. It left an impression, I guess! Unfortunately, I can't remember Ross Martin much, but I've seen him being brilliant in other roles – like in Columbo.

The age gap between Martin and Falk doesn't show in Suitable for Framing, that's for sure. But I guess the disheveled look of Falk's character contributes to that. Dale Kingston in comparison, is a very tidy looking man.

Nice list! I guess I can agree about McDowall – at least slightly. It's a character you either enjoy or not, perhaps. And the babbling in the cable car scene might have been a bit over the top.
    THE WILD WILD WEST is not a show that I’m a particular fan of (a bit too “out there” for me) but I have been checking out a few episodes due to the overlap in music on that show and on HAWAII FIVE-O (a favorite show of mine). Both shows were CBS shows and shared some of its music score in certain episodes. I’m a big fan of the FIVE-O music by the likes of Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, Don Ray, etc. Anyway I’ve gone off on a tangent, but Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon is definitely an interesting character on that show. A master of disguise and various accents!

Speaking of music scores “Lady in Waiting” by Billy Goldenberg is probably my all-time favorite COLUMBO score!! It’s brilliant!! So that’s another feather in that episode’s cap.
    https://youtu.be/M-BQ8OZxI7Q
    Goldenberg of course did the suspenseful score for Spielberg’s DUEL and a few other COLUMBOs as well.

Didn't know The Wild Wild West and Hawaii Five-O shared music. That's a bit surprising, as the two shows are very different. I do like the music from Hawaii Five-O, though. I managed to catch a couple of seasons before Netflix unfortunately removed the show from it's catalogue. I need to buy some seasons on DVD/Blu-ray and continue watching it.

I agree re. Billy Goldenberg – he made some fantastic music for Columbo. I don't know if I have a favourite score of his (or any of the other composers), but Lady in Waiting is definitely up there among the best. I also really like the funky opening track of Short Fuse by Gil Mellé:

If I am not mistaken Short Fuse was rushed into production and the story wasn't fully conceptualized. I find the episode lacking which is a shame cause Roddie should have been a great villain.

The Wild Wild West is a show that has some ties to Bond. It was within the spy craze of the mid 60's. The one character is called James, although West is his last name. Martin played the Q to Conrad's Bond. Lots of girls and glamour in the show. Been a while since I watched it.

Interesting info. re. Short Fuse, @thedove. I agree that It's an episode that lacks that little extra some of the other season 1 episodes have. Still enjoyable though.

I seem to remember The Wild Wild West being a bit Bondian. Another reason to check it out again.

That’s a neat little number there by Gil Melle!! My favorite would be his murder scene music (seen through Culp’s glasses) in “Death Lends a Hand”. I gravitate towards the darker and more eerie/sinister music, especially that of Goldenberg. His 3 from season 1 are all excellent and sinister - Murder by the Book, Suitable for Framing, and Lady in Waiting. The last one (my favorite) was Emmy-nominated.

Also check out this unsettling one by Dick DeBenedictis!!! Awesome stuff!!
    https://youtu.be/rsFayk7v5kw

Can't disagree with anything here! Mellé, Goldenberg and DeBenedictis all made great music for the show, and the more unsettling cues (like the one you posted) were really effective.

ilBUHPD.png

Indeed. Reflections in general can be used to good effect, too. As for the poster, I really wonder what the thinking was with that last line.

Never noticed that detail before! Good catch!

Really need to watch Double Shock again. It's been too long since the last time. I'll try and remember to keep an eye out for Dabney Coleman's appearance.
    The highlight for me is the cooking show scene in Double Shock! Landeau and Falk apparently improvised most of it and it's just gold. Love that scene.

I don't remember Dabney in that episode. Will have to re-watch again.
    The highlight for me is the cooking show scene in Double Shock! Landeau and Falk apparently improvised most of it and it's just gold. Love that scene.

I don't remember Dabney in that episode. Will have to re-watch again.

Yes, that would be my highlight of that episode too. It's a funny and brilliant scene and all the more real looking for being improvised!
    Didn't know that was scene was improvised! Such a great scene too.

All Columbo does through it is say, "Ah...". :))

All Columbo does through it is say, "Ah...". :))

Ah…yes! :))
    edited July 2019 Posts: 6,724
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I find that cooking scene runs too long and it's not that enjoyable. The highlight of the episode for me would be Ms. Peck. Really captures how in life sometimes you just start off on the wrong foot with certain people.

ilBUHPD.png

---

---

Yes and Dabney Coleman (who was a friend of Peter Falk's) returned as the guest star killer in Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star (1991). It's a brilliant episode but not a great title unfortunately, especially when compared with the pithy and clever titles episode titles of the '70s run. I found Dabney Coleman very entertaining in that episode. In the same way, Ed Begley Jr. (another friend of Falk's) also played a policeman in a '70s episode (in 1978's How to Dial A Murder ). He later played the killer in the atypical episode Columbo: Undercover (1994) which was one of two episodes based on a Ed McBain novel.
    Ed Begley Jr. also appeared with Peter Falk in The In-Laws.

Dishy and Falk were friends, it seems.

1326649-medium.jpg?6

I suppose that another example of this type of thing (within the '70s run itself) would be Joyce Van Patten appearing as a nun in Negative Reaction (1974) and going on to play the killer in Old Fashioned Murder (1976). Incidentally, I watched Old Fashioned Murder today again and I think it is my least favourite episode from the 1970s run. It's so badly written (full of plot holes), acted and indeed directed with a number of obvious insert shots. The scene where Janie Brandt and Dr Tim Shaeffer talk as they're leaving his apartment is totally dubbed as in the footage shown they never open their mouths! It's just very odd. It's as close as the 1970s Columbo episodes ever come to being boring too. It just really feels like an episode too many and it pains me to say it of one of the 1970s episodes. That's just my opinion of course!
    At least the haircut is pretty funny.

On Bob Dishy's two appearances as Sergeant Wilson, I agree. I wish we had seen a little more of him. He's the one sergeant that gets closest to playing Columbo's sidekick, like Holmes and Watson. I especially enjoy his second appearance in Now You See Him (1976) where he's much more effective in helping Columbo solve the case than he ever was in his first appearance in The Greenhouse Jungle (1972). He's my favourite sergeant in the series as he's developed more and given more screen time than any other sergeant that appears alongside Columbo. Usually they are just functional characters to provide the necessary plot exposition for Columbo and the viewer. I also like Bruce Kirby's various turns as Sergeant Kramer but he's a more slow-witted sergeant and comic foil!
    Holmes and Watson, absolutely.

Kramer must be one of the few 70s characters that returned in the 90s, right? Superintendent Durk is mentioned, as well.
    I agree that Mrs. Peck was the highlight of “Double Shock”!! In fact I remember very little of that episode except Mrs. Peck!! She definitely made a lasting impression. Jeannette Nolan was just marvelous in the role and had instant chemistry with Falk. In contrast I don’t recall Martin Landau making any kind of lasting impression as the killer (and playing twins no less) and I generally like Landau as an actor.

I also agree on “Old Fashioned Murder”. Probably my least favorite of the original run (I haven’t seen the newer ones). The whole murder plot seemed extremely shoddy and careless and the episode just felt very bland, by the numbers. Like a filler episode. The frumpy murderess played by Joyce Van Patten was dull and whatever character development they tried to give her just didn’t work for me. Celeste Holm was just completely over the top and really got on my nerves quickly.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 5,808
    There's a fact you may not know about Columbo : It inspired a murder in France. No, really, I'm not making it up. Here's the story, taken from the french Wikipedia article (it's not on the english article) :

On july 14th 1995, in Sarcelles, 42 years old printer Jean-Bernard Wiktorska was found dead on his musculation bench, with a 50 kgs barbell on his throat. The first conclusion was that he had fainted while exercising, and that the weight he was lifting had fallen on his trachea, crushing it. Tragic accident, no need for a further investigation, right ? Except that a woman phoned the police, telling them that the so-called accident was in fact a murder. Further investigations, and an autopsy, showed that the poor man had a sedative in the organisms, and that some of the marks found on hs trachea were not consistent with the theory of the accident. At the ned of the investigation, the police discovered that the printer had been killed by his wife's lover, with her complicity, and that he had disguised his crime using the means shown in "An Exercise in Fatality", where the killer (Robert Conrad) used the same method to disguise his crime.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo#Meurtre_inspir%C3%A9_d'un_%C3%A9pisode
    Wow! That's taking fandom to a whole new level! LOL. Tragic story though.

I just finished watching "The Most Crucial Game". Such a good episode. I had forgotten some of the smaller touches. Like Columbo asking people about where they got their shoes. Great stuff. His relationship with Dobbs was interesting to see develop. He threatens him without saying a word.

Culp is great as Hanlan. At times you can see the wheels turning and how he's thinking stuff through. Then after the murder is done he breaks into a smile after the coach leaves. You can almost picture him saying "I'm going to get away with this!"

Random thought, any other murder been committed using a block of ice?
    Wow! That's taking fandom to a whole new level! LOL. Tragic story though.

I just finished watching "The Most Crucial Game". Such a good episode. I had forgotten some of the smaller touches. Like Columbo asking people about where they got their shoes. Great stuff. His relationship with Dobbs was interesting to see develop. He threatens him without saying a word.

Culp is great as Hanlan. At times you can see the wheels turning and how he's thinking stuff through. Then after the murder is done he breaks into a smile after the coach leaves. You can almost picture him saying "I'm going to get away with this!"

Random thought, any other murder been committed using a block of ice?
    I’ll say one thing - the block of ice was a brilliant idea for a murder weapon. It melts in the water and the weapon is gone forever.

Agreed @ringfire211 as long as you are in sunny climes! Otherwise in the Artic they might be able to find it! LOL!

Any other creative weapons in the series? The microscope from Lovely but Lethal was also an interesting choice. Though that was more a crime of passion and she just grabbed what was at hand.
  • thedove wrote: »
    Agreed @ringfire211 as long as you are in sunny climes! Otherwise in the Artic they might be able to find it! LOL!

Any other creative weapons in the series? The microscope from Lovely but Lethal was also an interesting choice. Though that was more a crime of passion and she just grabbed what was at hand.
    Well, the dobermans in “How to Dial a Murder” is probably my favorite choice of weapon (programmed weapons, if you will) which is why it’s my all-time favorite COLUMBO episode.

What do folks think of Nicol Williamson as the murderer? I feel he doesn’t get talked about much.

I haven't felt that How to Dial a Murder is talked about much. It's a wonderful, late-70's episode, and Nicol Williamson makes a fine killer.

In general, there were some great highlights in season 7.
    I enjoyed How to Dial a Murder. Takes Columbo a while to get that one solved. The suspense when you aren't sure if Columbo knows the phrase or not is quite suspenseful.
  • I haven't felt that How to Dial a Murder is talked about much. It's a wonderful, late-70's episode, and Nicol Williamson makes a fine killer.

In general, there were some great highlights in season 7.
    Yes both “Dial” and “Try and Catch Me” are definitely standouts!!!!! Ruth Gordon was a gem - by far the best female killer on the show and just overall one of the best killers that Columbo goes up against, period. I was slightly less impressed with “Murder Under Glass” (though the great Louis Jourdan is his usual fine self) and I haven’t yet seen “Make Me a Perfect Murder” and “The Conspirators”.

But overall season 7 was an improvement over season 6 which only had 3 episodes and none of them standouts. Though I suppose I do like “Bye Bye Sky High IQ” but mostly for Theodore Bikel’s performance and the genius that his character is and the overly intricate murder plan that he comes up with. But “Old Fashioned Murder” is a snoozer and William Shatner is just a total ham in “Fade in to Murder” (though I thought his plan wasn’t bad).
    Dial has a fantastic murder method. And it's a great scene. I love Mason pumping his fist when the other guy bites the dust. It's possible they might've been inspired by the recently-released film, The Omen, with the dogs.

The ending is pretty funny! I also like the music score with the timpani sounding like a heartbeat. The Columbo Phile book says when asked about it years later, Nicol Williamson couldn't remember making the episode!

---

I was thinking yesterday how I would've changed the ending of Columbo Goes to the Guillotine. While Columbo "going to the guillotine" is a trap that Blake could've (should've) been suspicious about, I accept him playing along since it appears like such a clear opportunity to get rid of the Lieutenant. But I don't like Columbo saying he reversed the labels. That's just an insane risk to take on the assumption that Blake was going to try to murder him. I'd much rather have him say he had a special collar made that was safe on both sides. When the blade drops, another officer enters the scene, helps Columbo out of the guillotine (in the episode, he takes it off himself, even though he shouldn't be able to) and verifies that the guillotine was placed the "dangerous" way by Blake. Someone else being there might've also made the very end a little more amusing. The officer could've expressed surprise (or not, whichever is funnier) at Columbo pulling out the pistol and saying he would administer the penalty for murder.