"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Falk was very into the character and very involved in the creative process. He was protective of the character. The Columbo-phile book which I haven't read but I hear is wonderful. The author of that book had interviewed everybody about the show except the star. Falk kept ducking him and brushing him off. Finally they met and talked for over 3 hours about Columbo. The author (whose name escapes me) became great friends with Falk. He said Falk had to really trust you before letting you in. I can respect that.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2019 Posts: 17,828
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Hadn't had the time to search for the interview - thanks!
    Really bad behaviour from Falk there. He got what he wanted in the end though, but still. Guess that's the way TV stars act sometimes.
    For better or worse, he was very protective of the show, and was seemingly wary of the producers at first.

Didn't know that. In what way?
    I actually prefer Blueprint for Murder to Dead Weight.
    Same here. The red tape Columbo goes through, and the tense spectacle of digging up the pile of the building (costly, cumbersome, protracted), are just great. Clever plan, too. Patrick O'Neal should've played another murderer. He is a kind of variation on Robert Culp.

I remember watching this episode as a kid (I couldn't have been much older than when I started watching the Bond films), and the digging up at the building site had me at the edge of my seat. I still enjoy it just as much.

Patrick O'Neal definitely should have played another murderer. And I agree, a variation of Robert Culp.

Just to note that Patrick O'Neal did return to Columbo in Make Me A Perfect Murder (1978) albeit not as the killer but as TV network boss Frank Flanagan instead. I agree though that it would've been nice to see O'Neal back as the killer as his first episode was a fine one.
    Should we talk about that ?

I found this clip on one of the Columbo Facebook groups. It's from The Larry Sanders Show, in 1992. It features the recently passed Columbo guest star Rip Torn and Peter Falk:

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I found this clip on one of the Columbo Facebook groups. It's from the Larry Sanders show, from 1992. It features the recently passed Columbo guest star Rip Torn and Peter Falk:

That's awesome I am watching a few things with Rip Torn this evening as I have a rare night off, including Death Hits the Jackpot
    I found this clip on one of the Columbo Facebook groups. It's from the Larry Sanders show, from 1992. It features the recently passed Columbo guest star Rip Torn and Peter Falk:

That's awesome I am watching a few things with Rip Torn this evening as I have a rare night off, including Death Hits the Jackpot

Yes, it's really funny as at the start you're not sure if it's for real or not! I plan to rewatch that one with Rip Torn. I remember it being a really good episode.

Later on in that clip Larry Sanders asks Peter Falk about the kidnapping episode on Columbo being a departure so it must be from 1992, the year that particular episode, Columbo: No Time to Die, was released. I couldn't find that part on YouTube, however.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,449

Yes, it's really funny as at the start you're not sure if it's for real or not! I plan to rewatch that one with Rip Torn. I remember being a really good episode.

Later on in that clip Larry Sanders asks Peter Falk about the kidnapping episode on Columbo being a departure so it must be from 1992, the year that episode, Columbo: No Time to Die, was released. I couldn't find that part on YouTube, however.

I watched the Larry Saunders Show when it aired though my memory is vague, great clip though. Just about to put on Alexander the Greater Affair The Man From U.N.C.L.E., I am mid 40's and grew up watching many 60's and 70's shows and movies so Rip was omnipresent in much of my childhood viewing, great actor.
    thedove wrote: »
    Falk was very into the character and very involved in the creative process. He was protective of the character. The Columbo-phile book which I haven't read but I hear is wonderful. The author of that book had interviewed everybody about the show except the star. Falk kept ducking him and brushing him off. Finally they met and talked for over 3 hours about Columbo. The author (whose name escapes me) became great friends with Falk. He said Falk had to really trust you before letting you in. I can respect that.

That was Mark Dawidziak's The Columbo Phile (1989). I have a copy and it's an excellent Columbo resource. There are so few books on Columbo like this and Dawidziak was really the standard-bearer! It was quite expensive when I bought it in paperback on Amazon in 2012 but it was worth it. It's even more expensive now.

Here's a recent interview with Mark Dawidziak on The Columbophile blog:

https://columbophile.com/2019/06/30/the-original-columbo-phile-an-interview-with-author-mark-dawidziak/

And the excellent news that The Columbo Phile is to be reissued for the 30th anniversary later in 2019:

https://columbophile.com/2019/07/03/iconic-columbo-book-to-be-reissued/

I guess Falk being so protective also added to the overall quality of the show. The quality shows in every department, from the music to the cast.

The Columbo Phile looks like a book I must add to my list. Perhaps worth waiting for the reissue (thanks for letting us know, @Dragonpol!
    Really bad behaviour from Falk there. He got what he wanted in the end though, but still. Guess that's the way TV stars act sometimes.
    For better or worse, he was very protective of the show, and was seemingly wary of the producers at first.

I actually prefer Blueprint for Murder to Dead Weight.
    Same here. The red tape Columbo goes through, and the tense spectacle of digging up the pile of the building (costly, cumbersome, protracted), are just great. Clever plan, too. Patrick O'Neal should've played another murderer. He is a kind of variation on Robert Culp.

I remember watching this episode as a kid (I couldn't have been much older than when I started watching the Bond films), and the digging up at the building site had me at the edge of my seat. I still enjoy it just as much.

Patrick O'Neal definitely should have played another murderer. And I agree, a variation of Robert Culp.

Just to note that Patrick O'Neal did return to Columbo in Make Me A Perfect Murder (1978) albeit not as the killer but as TV network boss Frank Flanagan instead. I agree though that it would've been nice to see O'Neal back as the killer as his first episode was a fine one.

That's another fantastic episode, and my favourite from season 7.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Should we talk about that ?

I've only watched two episodes of Mrs. Columbo – both of which was included as bonus material in the Columbo: The Complete Series box I have. Has anyone watched through the complete series?

He was a perfectionist who wanted to keep an eye on every aspect of the show, and didn't quite trust the executives, the studio or the producers to deliver the level of quality he wanted. He demanded quality but that ran counter to the breakneck pace at which television was made at the time. The Columbo Phile says he would review the rough drafts of scripts (and wasn't happy with them, even though they were rough drafts). He also interviewed Spielberg before approving him as director of Murder by the Book. During the making of Lady in Waiting, he left the set because the studio didn't want to keep their promise of allowing him to direct an episode. Levinson and Link also claim they used Falk's "scare tactics" to their benefit-- he delayed the production and they used the time to improve it.

By the late sixties, Falk was an Oscar nominee and a well-established film actor, so even though he had done television before (even shared the screen with Roger Moore on The Trials of O'Brien!-- I have to see that one) I think he wanted to feel comfortable and secure in his new venture into a television series.

I found this clip on one of the Columbo Facebook groups. It's from The Larry Sanders Show, from 1992. It features the recently passed Columbo guest star Rip Torn and Peter Falk:

"Larry, I'm sorry you had to have a son of a bitch on the show." =))
    I watched one episode of Mrs Columbo and boy was it ever bad TV. I feel for Kate cause she was miscast. All through the episode I am thinking her and Lt Columbo married? She looks way to young and certainly not what I pictured whenever Columbo is talking about his wife.

I was excited about Columbophile coming back I intend to get a copy.

He was a perfectionist who wanted to keep an eye on every aspect of the show, and didn't quite trust the executives, the studio or the producers to deliver the level of quality he wanted. He demanded quality but that ran counter to the breakneck pace at which television was made at the time. The Columbo Phile says he would review the rough drafts of scripts (and wasn't happy with them, even though they were rough drafts). He also interviewed Spielberg before approving him as director of Murder by the Book. During the making of Lady in Waiting, he left the set because the studio didn't want to keep their promise of allowing him to direct an episode. Levinson and Link also claim they used Falk's "scare tactics" to their benefit-- he delayed the production and they used the time to improve it.

By the late sixties, Falk was an Oscar nominee and a well-established film actor, so even though he had done television before (even shared the screen with Roger Moore on The Trials of O'Brien!-- I have to see that one) I think he wanted to feel comfortable and secure in his new venture into a television series.

Thanks, reading how he wanted to be involved in so many aspects of the production, it's understandable how Falk could be in conflict with the executives, etc. I wonder, did any other established actors appearing in TV shows (at the time) have similar influence over the production? For example, Karl Malden was an Academy Award winning actor; did he have any influence in the production of The Streets of San Francisco?
    I watched one episode of Mrs Columbo and boy was it ever bad TV. I feel for Kate cause she was miscast. All through the episode I am thinking her and Lt Columbo married? She looks way to young and certainly not what I pictured whenever Columbo is talking about his wife.

I was excited about Columbophile coming back I intend to get a copy.

Agree. Kate Mulgrew certainly looked to young to be Lt Columbo's wife – at least in the way I thought she might look like, given what Columbo said about her in various episodes. The changed her backstory slightly didn't they (eventually)?
    They did. At first, she was supposed to be his wife, complete with the beat-up Peugeot and the Bassett hound, and the methods of investigation, complete with "Just one more thing" said to the suspect (in the first five episodes or so), then everything changed : she had divorced her husband (who was no longer Columbo), and became a generic journalist/detective. Even the title of the show changed a few times over just thirteen episodes (from Mrs. Columbo to Kate Columbo to Kate the Detective to Kate Loves a Mystery). And just one more thing : Peter Falk didn't like that show, and when Columbo came back, it was obvious that Kate Columbo had never been Mrs. Columbo at all (he certainly hadn't divorced his wife in these new TV movies).
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 5,823
    Oh, just one more thing : Little Lili Haydn, who played Kate Columbo's daughter (and was cute as a button) did grow up and became a well-known fiddler and singer :

As far as career changes go, that one is not too bad.
    They did. At first, she was supposed to be his wife, complete with the beat-up Peugeot and the Bassett hound, and the methods of investigation, complete with "Just one more thing" said to the suspect (in the first five episodes or so), then everything changed : she had divorced her husband (who was no longer Columbo), and became a generic journalist/detective. Even the title of the show changed a few times over just thirteen episodes (from Mrs. Columbo to Kate Columbo to Kate the Detective to Kate Loves a Mystery). And just one more thing : Peter Falk didn't like that show, and when Columbo came back, it was obvious that Kate Columbo had never been Mrs. Columbo at all (he certainly hadn't divorced his wife in these new TV movies).

Seems like quite the mess of a TV show; not surprising it was cancelled after only 13 episodes.
    Oh, just one more thing : Little Lili Hyadn, who played Kate Columbo's daughter (and was cute as a button) did grow up and became a well-known fiddler and singer :

As far as career changes go, that one is not too bad.

Interesting trivia! She has a nice voice.
    Finished rewatching season 1 over the weekend. Just for fun, here's my ranking of the episodes:

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

On a side note; I've never though of it before just now, but I like the way the episode titles sound when you say them. Almost like a Bond film title feel to it.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 646
    Finished rewatching season 1 over the weekend. Just for fun, here's my ranking of the episodes:

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

On a side note; I've never though of it before just now, but I like the way the episode titles sound when you say them. Almost like a Bond film title feel to it.
    Good ranking!! Personally I find “Lady in Waiting” underrated. I thought Susan Clark did a very good job as the murderess! I especially love her transformation from this mousy sympathetic character to the cold and overbearing woman she becomes, her disdain for Columbia growing more and more.

Just curious, how would you rank the season 1 murderers? Ross Martin and Robert Culp would be my favorites. Of course the 2 episodes they are in are also my favorites for the season. Ross Martin was actually Peter Falk’s acting teacher or mentor and you can definitely see great chemistry between the two.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,308

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

Good ranking!! Personally I find “Lady in Waiting” underrated. I thought Susan Clark did a very good job as the murderess! I especially love her transformation from this mousy sympathetic character to the cold and overbearing woman she becomes, her disdain for Columbia growing more and more.

Just curious, how would you rank the season 1 murderers? Ross Martin and Robert Culp would be my favorites. Of course the 2 episodes they are in are also my favorites for the season. Ross Martin was actually Peter Falk’s acting teacher or mentor and you can definitely see great chemistry between the two.

There's no doubt that Susan Clark made a great villain as Beth Chadwick; I find her particularly creepy (in lack of a better word) the moment Columbo confronts her at the end, and the smile she makes when Columbo tells her to get changed.

Ranking the season 1 murderers id a very difficult task – much like ranking the Bond films. I'll give it a try:
    1. Ken Franklin (Jack Cassidy) - Maybe not the smartest murderer of season 1, but Jack Cassidy has always been a favourite of mine.
    2. Dale Kingston (Ross Martin) - The most unpleasant killer of season 1? Dale Kingston is such a great character.
    3. Carl Brimmer (Robert Culp) - I just love how tough he is in this episode.
    4. Beth Chadwick (Susan Clark) - The transformation (as you mentioned) makes this episode. She even puts Columbo in danger at the end!
    5. Elliot Markham (Patrick O'Neal) – A killer that tries to oursmart and humiliate Columbo at the same time? That's great television!
    6. Roger Stanford (Roddy McDowall) - It's entertaining to see a character that's equal amounts of playful and unpleasant. I love the cable car finale.
    7. General Martin Hollister (Eddie Albert) - General Hollister is a good character, but the other killers made more of an impression, IMO.

PS: I didn't know that fact about Ross Martin and Peter Falk. No wonder they made such a great pairing in Suitable for Framing!

How would your season 1 murderers list look like, @ringfire211?

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

There's no doubt that Susan Clark made a great villain as Beth Chadwick; I find her particularly creepy (in lack of a better word) the moment Columbo confronts her at the end, and the smile she makes when Columbo tells her to get changed.

Ranking the season 1 murderers id a very difficult task – much like ranking the Bond films. I'll give it a try:
    1. Ken Franklin (Jack Cassidy) - Maybe not the smartest murderer of season 1, but Jack Cassidy has always been a favourite of mine.
    2. Dale Kingston (Ross Martin) - The most unpleasant killer of season 1? Dale Kingston is such a great character.
    4. Beth Chadwick (Susan Clark) - The transformation (as you mentioned) makes this episode. She even puts Columbo in danger at the end!
    5. Elliot Markham (Patrick O'Neal) – A killer that tries to oursmart and humiliate Columbo at the same time? That's great television!
    6. Roger Stanford (Roddy McDowall) - It's entertaining to see a character that's equal amounts of playful and unpleasant. I love the cable car finale.
    7. General Martin Hollister (Eddie Albert) - General Hollister is a good character, but the other killers made more of an impression, IMO.

PS: I didn't know that fact about Ross Martin and Peter Falk. No wonder they made such a great pairing in Suitable for Framing!

Ross Martin was quite the actor. One only needs to look at THE WILD WILD WEST to see how great he was with voices. He could mimic almost any accent. Somehow Falk always looked older to me so I was quite surprised that Martin was the mentor and Falk the student. Well, one could argue that Falk ended up surpassing his teacher.

I really would need to rewatch season 1 to get an accurate ranking for my killers but I guess off the top of my head it would look something like this:

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    4. Jack Cassidy (haven’t seen this one in ages but Cassidy is always great)
    5. Patrick O’Neal (also haven’t seen it in ages)
    6. Roddy McDowall
    7. Eddie Albert (has a bit of a harmless grandpa look to him)

There’s something about Roddy that doesn’t quite work for me. His childlike persona for me is annoying and his babbling at the end in the cable car and going nuts comes across fake or forced. I dunno, maybe it’s just me. Otherwise he’s a fine actor. Maybe it’s just the characterization.

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

Ross Martin was quite the actor. One only needs to look at THE WILD WILD WEST to see how great he was with voices. He could mimic almost any accent. Somehow Falk always looked older to me so I was quite surprised that Martin was the mentor and Falk the student. Well, one could argue that Falk ended up surpassing his teacher.

I really would need to rewatch season 1 to get an accurate ranking for my killers but I guess off the top of my head it would look something like this:

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    6. Roddy McDowall

There’s something about Roddy that doesn’t quite work for me. His childlike persona for me is annoying and his babbling at the end in the cable car and going nuts comes across fake or forced. I dunno, maybe it’s just me. Otherwise he’s a fine actor. Maybe it’s just the characterization.

The Wild Wild West is a show I should try and watch again; it used to be aired on TV in the late 90's in the weekend mornings over here if I remember correctly, and I haven't seen it since. Being just a kid then I hardly remember anything from it, but I seem to remember Robert Conrad's sleeve gun for some reason. It left an impression, I guess! Unfortunately, I can't remember Ross Martin much, but I've seen him being brilliant in other roles – like in Columbo.

The age gap between Martin and Falk doesn't show in Suitable for Framing, that's for sure. But I guess the disheveled look of Falk's character contributes to that. Dale Kingston in comparison, is a very tidy looking man.

Nice list! I guess I can agree about McDowall – at least slightly. It's a character you either enjoy or not, perhaps. And the babbling in the cable car scene might have been a bit over the top.

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    6. Roddy McDowall

The Wild Wild West is a show I should try and watch again; it used to be aired on TV in the late 90's in the weekend mornings over here if I remember correctly, and I haven't seen it since. Being just a kid then I hardly remember anything from it, but I seem to remember Robert Conrad's sleeve gun for some reason. It left an impression, I guess! Unfortunately, I can't remember Ross Martin much, but I've seen him being brilliant in other roles – like in Columbo.

The age gap between Martin and Falk doesn't show in Suitable for Framing, that's for sure. But I guess the disheveled look of Falk's character contributes to that. Dale Kingston in comparison, is a very tidy looking man.

Nice list! I guess I can agree about McDowall – at least slightly. It's a character you either enjoy or not, perhaps. And the babbling in the cable car scene might have been a bit over the top.
    THE WILD WILD WEST is not a show that I’m a particular fan of (a bit too “out there” for me) but I have been checking out a few episodes due to the overlap in music on that show and on HAWAII FIVE-O (a favorite show of mine). Both shows were CBS shows and shared some of its music score in certain episodes. I’m a big fan of the FIVE-O music by the likes of Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, Don Ray, etc. Anyway I’ve gone off on a tangent, but Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon is definitely an interesting character on that show. A master of disguise and various accents!

Speaking of music scores “Lady in Waiting” by Billy Goldenberg is probably my all-time favorite COLUMBO score!! It’s brilliant!! So that’s another feather in that episode’s cap.
    https://youtu.be/M-BQ8OZxI7Q
    Goldenberg of course did the suspenseful score for Spielberg’s DUEL and a few other COLUMBOs as well.
    If I am not mistaken Short Fuse was rushed into production and the story wasn't fully conceptualized. I find the episode lacking which is a shame cause Roddie should have been a great villain.

The Wild Wild West is a show that has some ties to Bond. It was within the spy craze of the mid 60's. The one character is called James, although West is his last name. Martin played the Q to Conrad's Bond. Lots of girls and glamour in the show. Been a while since I watched it.

1. Murder by the Book
    2. Death Lends a Hand
    3. Suitable for Framing
    4. Blueprint for Murder
    5. Dead Weight
    6. Short Fuse
    7. Lady in Waiting

1. Ross Martin
    2. Robert Culp
    3. Susan Clark
    6. Roddy McDowall

THE WILD WILD WEST is not a show that I’m a particular fan of (a bit too “out there” for me) but I have been checking out a few episodes due to the overlap in music on that show and on HAWAII FIVE-O (a favorite show of mine). Both shows were CBS shows and shared some of its music score in certain episodes. I’m a big fan of the FIVE-O music by the likes of Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, Don Ray, etc. Anyway I’ve gone off on a tangent, but Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon is definitely an interesting character on that show. A master of disguise and various accents!

Speaking of music scores “Lady in Waiting” by Billy Goldenberg is probably my all-time favorite COLUMBO score!! It’s brilliant!! So that’s another feather in that episode’s cap.
    https://youtu.be/M-BQ8OZxI7Q
    Goldenberg of course did the suspenseful score for Spielberg’s DUEL and a few other COLUMBOs as well.

Didn't know The Wild Wild West and Hawaii Five-O shared music. That's a bit surprising, as the two shows are very different. I do like the music from Hawaii Five-O, though. I managed to catch a couple of seasons before Netflix unfortunately removed the show from it's catalogue. I need to buy some seasons on DVD/Blu-ray and continue watching it.

I agree re. Billy Goldenberg – he made some fantastic music for Columbo. I don't know if I have a favourite score of his (or any of the other composers), but Lady in Waiting is definitely up there among the best. I also really like the funky opening track of Short Fuse by Gil Mellé:

If I am not mistaken Short Fuse was rushed into production and the story wasn't fully conceptualized. I find the episode lacking which is a shame cause Roddie should have been a great villain.

The Wild Wild West is a show that has some ties to Bond. It was within the spy craze of the mid 60's. The one character is called James, although West is his last name. Martin played the Q to Conrad's Bond. Lots of girls and glamour in the show. Been a while since I watched it.

Interesting info. re. Short Fuse, @thedove. I agree that It's an episode that lacks that little extra some of the other season 1 episodes have. Still enjoyable though.

I seem to remember The Wild Wild West being a bit Bondian. Another reason to check it out again.
    I believe thedove is right. Short Fuse was rushed into production because the studio asked for another episode late into the production process.

I'm a bit on the fence about Roddy McDowall. Strictly speaking, I don't think he overacts, since he makes the role work for himself, and quite well, but this type of characterization isn't perhaps the ideal one for a Columbo killer. McDowall is so manic and energetic that the polite and humble Columbo is overshadowed by him (not that Columbo isn't frequently underestimated by the murderers, but even then the character is never quite overshadowed-- being the leading character, he always has a strong presence in every scene, even when seemingly humilliated or made to look inferior to the murderer). McDowall has some sort of chemistry with Peter Falk, even an enjoyable one, but it's certainly not the usual dynamic between the Lieutenant and the murderer. Though I greatly prefer "early style" Columbo (that is, the characterization of the role from seasons 1-5, and generally from season 8 until the end), this is perhaps one case in which season 6-7 Columbo might've been a better fit for McDowall.
    On the subject of music, I really like the breezy music that almost functions as a main theme in Death Lends a Hand (Gil Mellé). And the evil typewriter music in Murder by the Book (Billy Goldenberg). In A Stitch in Crime, the energetic little theme that plays while Dr. Mayfield is trashing the apartment is terrific (also by Billy Goldenberg).

Also, a shout-out to Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health whose "scheming" theme, that plays while George Hamilton is preparing the poisoned cigarettes, is great, as is the end credits music. Music by John Cacavas.
    Random thought: any opinions on the very last episode, Columbo Likes the Nightlife?
    @mattjoes I haven't seen any of the 80's movie mystery Columbo's so I am afraid I won't have much to offer. I finished the 70's run of shows and was very satisfied. Although the last season was a little jarring in spots cause Columbo suddenly changes a bit and becomes...tougher? Meaner? More forceful and to me it doesn't ring true. I heard a new showrunner took over the last season and that's why the character changed tone.

Yes I follow the Columbofile website and he mentioned that Short Fuse was going to be an episode for Season 2 but the network wanted another episode and it was chosen to move up. I think with more time I could have been better executed. The cable car is tense but I think could have been done a bit better with further plot development.

@Torgeirtrap I agree with you that the 70's episodes have great titles. I think they are somewhat like Bond as they hint at what is to come.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,749
    Yes, @thedove, Richard Alan Simmons took over as showrunner in season 7. Interestingly, he said he didn't quite care for the show at the time, so he pushed for certain changes to emphasize certain elements he liked in it but felt were not explored enough, such as the background of the murderers.

Columbo is meaner in those episodes. I like it only in the sense that it creates a great deal of tension of an entirely different sort (I always recall this office scene in "Make Me a Perfect Murder"), but otherwise I very much prefer the other style. One of the major elements that make Columbo appealing is how much of a decent fellow he appears to be. He is polite, thoughtful, considerate. In those later episodes that aspect is greatly diminished because he is so much more full of himself, theatrical, threatening (and meaner, as you say!), and not on occasion, but almost constantly. Even his accent is different. I'm not even convinced it's a bad acting choice to play such a role in that way, it's just that it's too radical a change given what one was accostumed to.

Luckily, when Columbo came back in the 80s, for the most part, and for whatever reason, that change was undone. At times, it still resurfaces, but even in those occasions, Columbo just comes across as more affable than in season 7, to me anyway-- I think in some way, his being older takes the nastier edge off his performance. That said, he can still be deadly serious. In Agenda for Murder, when he confronts Denis Arndt's character, he totally means business. But that innate decency and warmth that are a trademark of the character are perfectly in place even in those types of scenes, and there is a more natural style of acting.

The very last episode of the show is a good one. And the character is well acted by Falk. Classic Columbo, and there is great little moment when he just stares at the murderer for a moment while he figures out he's a suspect and breaks into a bemused smile, and Columbo then asks him "is that amusing to you?" without breaking a smile. So there's room for an assertive Columbo, but in this case it is appropriately contained within the original, classic characterization.

I find the best effort to display a generally more threatening Columbo, without really changing the essence of the character, was in Now You See Him. I find this moment totally electrifying. It's not even a dramatic high point in the story. Compare it with the scene in Make Me a Perfect Murder. This is good old Columbo without the bumbling facade, but good old Columbo alright. And his warm, pleasant interactions with Sergeant Wilson only help drive that point home.

Edit: Of course anyone who has read my earlier posts will notice this isn't the first time I've made this point, but I find it especially fascinating to return to, because it drives me to analyze just what is so appealing about Columbo, and Peter Falk's portrayal of him.

---

I agree about the titles by the way.
    Interesting comments @mattjoes and @thedove! The change in Columbo's character that shows in the latter 70's episodes is really noticeable, and I agree it's a little jarring.

I might be wrong, but whenever NRK (that's like BBC here in Norway) have aired reruns of Columbo (midday during the weekends), it's usually been the very early seasons 1-5/6 – but rarely season 7! I wonder if that's just them changing up their programme lineup by the time they get to season 7, or if they possibly – for some reason - don't care to air a "tougher" Columbo. The last time they aired Columbo episodes, it was the 80's ones (which I've yet to watch).
    ________

Great examples of Columbo music there, by the way, @mattjoes!
    Just finished watching the pilot episode, Ransom for a Dead Man. I guess if I were to rank this episode with the rest of the episodes from season 1, and Leslie Williams (Lee Grant) as a killer, the episode and Leslie Williams would both be inside my top three.

There are several great moments in Ransom for a Dead Man, but the final confrontation lacks a little bit. It's really brief for an episode that's 95 minutes long! On the other hand it's a very stylish looking pilot though, so that makes up for the ending. You just got to love stuff like this:

ransom-gunshot.jpg
    evil-leslie.jpg