"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I liked that Columbo bluffed on having back-up. We see that he has nerves of steel and can bluff quite well. Also nice to have a female murderess. I loved the part when Columbo is mistaken for the house staff and having to pay the taxi!
    Beth is an interesting character in both her flaws and ambitions, and in how she changes after the murder, going from being so inhibited to feeling everything is within her power and her reach. After her brother's death, she also appears to become emotionally unbalanced, as if she was barely managing to hold on to herself in the midst of her new lifestyle. Almost as if she didn't recognize herself. Susan Clark really nails this performance. Another actor that could've been a "repeat offender" on the show.

I also like the scenes between Peter and Columbo. There is a very pleasant chemistry between them.

thedove wrote: »
    I liked that Columbo bluffed on having back-up. We see that he has nerves of steel and can bluff quite well.
    Very cool moment. I wonder how many times in the show has Columbo's life been in danger in the final scene. I'd guess about five times?

For whatever reason I could never really get into Roddy’s childlike performance. Something about it just seemed off for me. And at the end he totally loses it on the cable car and becomes a laughing lunatic. Weird.
    I like Roddy McDowall's eccentric performance, but I'm not so sure about the chemistry between him and Peter Falk. I mean, they work fine together, but considering the show usually features reserved, urbane killers, it's strange to see Columbo interacting with this histrionic, childlike man. Maybe on further watches I'll get used to it. At any rate, I love the moment Roger breaks into laughter at the end. Instead of showing anger or disappointment, he concedes victory in a most amusing way, especially when he hangs the necklace around a bemused Columbo's neck.
    Just finished watching Publish or Perish, one of my season 3 favourites. Funny thing caught my attention; it looks as if the murder victim, Alan Mallory, had a similar taste in interior decorating as Connery Bond:

Bond-Dr.-No-Apartment-Car-Prints.jpg
    Ihb87kh.png
    Great catch @Torgeirtrap I never would have spotted that! Now if you can link Adrian from "Any Port in the Storm" to Bond then we might have an idea where Blofeld went after the volcano blew up!
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Great catch @Torgeirtrap I never would have spotted that! Now if you can link Adrian from "Any Port in the Storm" to Bond then we might have an idea where Blofeld went after the volcano blew up!

Thanks @thedove, I only noticed the framed car print because we see it in several scenes, like the one above. Once I thought of DN, I hoped the car print would be an exact match with one of those seen in Bond's apartment, but it wasn't. Maybe they're done by the same illustrator.

As for Adrian Carsini, maybe something with those expensive wines of his? I imagine Blofeld has a similar taste for alcohol. :-D
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Beth is an interesting character in both her flaws and ambitions, and in how she changes after the murder, going from being so inhibited to feeling everything is within her power and her reach. After her brother's death, she also appears to become emotionally unbalanced, as if she was barely managing to hold on to herself in the midst of her new lifestyle. Almost as if she didn't recognize herself. Susan Clark really nails this performance. Another actor that could've been a "repeat offender" on the show.

I also like the scenes between Peter and Columbo. There is a very pleasant chemistry between them.

I liked that Columbo bluffed on having back-up. We see that he has nerves of steel and can bluff quite well.
    Very cool moment. I wonder how many times in the show has Columbo's life been in danger in the final scene. I'd guess about five times?

For whatever reason I could never really get into Roddy’s childlike performance. Something about it just seemed off for me. And at the end he totally loses it on the cable car and becomes a laughing lunatic. Weird.
    I like Roddy McDowall's eccentric performance, but I'm not so sure about the chemistry between him and Peter Falk. I mean, they work fine together, but considering the show usually features reserved, urbane killers, it's strange to see Columbo interacting with this histrionic, childlike man. Maybe on further watches I'll get used to it. At any rate, I love the moment Roger breaks into laughter at the end. Instead of showing anger or disappointment, he concedes victory in a most amusing way, especially when he hangs the necklace around a bemused Columbo's neck.
    Yes, Susan Clark plays it very well and Beth’s transformation (a complete 180) is what makes her performance so memorable. You go from sympathizing with her to downright despising her at the end. She really does turn into a piece of work!

As for Roddy, I think that’s the problem. You nailed it. He is so atypical for a Columbo murderer. It’s Columbo going up against a man-child and somehow that doesn’t work.

He had the potential to be a good adversary for Columbo. I think the rushed script and production probably hurt his performance and the overall story.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

I watched all episodes twice with my wife and we enjoyed all of them (except for the Commodore). Now, with our little kids, our third watch came to a stop. But today I was watching The Most Crucial Game and it was again great fun.
    Almost every second with Peter Falk is a highlight and sentences like: "Just by coincidence, it happens to be exactly the same time you made the second call to Eric."
    Splendid.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 440
    Something that may be of interest to any members in the US* is that Peacock is currently streaming all episodes of Columbo for free (with ad breaks) in HD.

*or with VPNs : )

https://www.peacocktv.com/watch-online/tv/columbo/6941257837221375112

X86XElT.png

5pzte9g.png
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    3 of the very best episodes are on UK TV today - 5USA:

Any Old Port in a Storm
    Double Exposure
    Murder by the Book

An absolute treat for any Columbo fan. That's my day sorted.

Any Old Port in a Storm
    Double Exposure
    Murder by the Book

What a lineup of episodes!
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

Any Old Port in a Storm
    Double Exposure
    Murder by the Book

Plus, A Stitch in Crime was shown last week. Been spoilt for great choice lately.

Any Old Port in a Storm
    Double Exposure
    Murder by the Book

Plus, A Stitch in Crime was shown last week. Been spoilt for great choice lately.

It's been a while since Columbo last aired on TV here. Would be great if they did again, as there are so many great episodes. At least I have my box set!
    Can't believe it took me so long to find this thread. I've been on a massive Columbo fix since last summer when I bought the DVD complete series. Absolutely love this show!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    How is "No Time To Die"?

md-title-16490-1556054707-514.jpeg
    How is "No Time To Die"?

I think it's the QUANTUM OF SOLACE or LTK of Columbo episodes.
    It departs from the formula almost completely, is darker in tone yet I still liked it.
    Often considered the worst episode ever. I suppose it might be, but I haven't seen all of them yet, so I can't say.
    I did enjoy it though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2020 Posts: 17,727
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    How is "No Time To Die"?

It departs from the formula almost completely, is darker in tone yet I still liked it.
    Often considered the worst episode ever. I suppose it might be, but I haven't seen all of them yet, so I can't say.
    I did enjoy it though.

No, for me, the worst Columbo episode is definitely Murder in Malibu. I didn't mind No Time to Die too much. It was a kidnapping case really and was trying to do something different. Of course it and Undercover were both adapted from Ed McBain novels which explains why they're so radically different from the usual Columbo formula. It doesn't really seem fair to judge an atypical episode by the same standards as regular episodes though of course many people do unfortunately. I much prefer to pick an episode that follows the formula but still ends up poor when deciding on the worst episode. For the record my least favourite of the 70s episodes is Old Fashioned Murder.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    How is "No Time To Die"?

I did enjoy it though.

No, for me, the worst Columbo episode is definitely Murder in Malibu. I didn't mind No Time to Die too much. It was a kidnapping case really and was trying to do something different. Of course it and Undercover were both adapted from Ed McBain novels which explains why they're so radically different from the usual Columbo formula. It doesn't really seem fair to judge an atypical episode by the same standards as regular episodes though of course many people do record. I much prefer to pick an episode that follows the formula but still ends up poor when deciding on the worst episode. For the record my least favourite of the 70s episodes is Old Fashioned Murder.

Right. MURDER IN MALIBU is the Andrew Stevens one. Yeah, he wasn't exactly the definitive Columbo villain. I still liked it okay, but prefer most of the others.
    I liked UNDERCOVER quite a bit.
    I don't think I've watched OLD FASHIONED MURDER yet.
  • Yeah, OLD FASHIONED MURDER is definitely a slog to get through. Especially for being from the classic 70s era. And Joyce Van Patten is just this frumpy and rather dull villainess.
    I always wondered if a different actor could bring Columbo back to life ... honestly whether he does a peter Falk impersonation or not I think Kevin Pollack could be an interesting Columbo.
  • Nope, only one COLUMBO. That’s why remakes never work. Can’t recapture that magic. It just ends up being something else, something inferior.
    This thread was bumped just as I'm getting back into Columbo. Goes to the Guillotine was my latest watch, a few days ago. I think I'm now going with Negative Reaction.

Some time ago I asked here if anyone had seen Enough Rope with Bert Freed as Columbo. I've since read, in The Ultimate Columbo Site, that the episode can be viewed at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York City (now renamed The Paley Center for Media). A pleasant incentive for going there on holiday.
    Nope, only one COLUMBO. That’s why remakes never work. Can’t recapture that magic. It just ends up being something else, something inferior.

So all other bonds besides Connery are inferior?

Like I said I enjoy new versions because you never know what you will get
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This thread was bumped just as I'm getting back into Columbo. Goes to the Guillotine was my latest watch, a few days ago. I think I'm now going with Negative Reaction.

Some time ago I asked here if anyone had seen Enough Rope with Bert Freed as Columbo. I've since read, in The Ultimate Columbo Site, that the episode can be viewed at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York City (now renamed The Paley Center for Media). A pleasant incentive for going there on holiday.

NEGATIVE REACTION is one of my favorites.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 642
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Nope, only one COLUMBO. That’s why remakes never work. Can’t recapture that magic. It just ends up being something else, something inferior.

So all other bonds besides Connery are inferior?

Like I said I enjoy new versions because you never know what you will get
    Yep you nailed it! The original and still the best!

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mrs. Columbo would agree with you, @ringfire211.

5ade7b8c70896cb677df39ff5ef02a78.jpg

I wouldn't want to see a new actor play Columbo any more than I'd want to see some kid other than Gary Coleman play Arnold Jackson in a DIFF'RENT STROKES reboot.
    Same with Fonzie, Jim Rockford, Jack Tripper, and countless other '70's television characters.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 642
    I wouldn't want to see a new actor play Columbo any more than I'd want to see some kid other than Gary Coleman play Arnold Jackson in a DIFF'RENT STROKES reboot.
    Same with Fonzie, Jim Rockford, Jack Tripper, and countless other '70's television characters.
    Absolutely!!!
    Accept no substitutes!

Bond might be that rare exception. Because long ago we got used to the role being changed and given to someone else. And even there Connery pretty much set the bar too high for others to follow. But I can’t see anyone else playing Rocky or Rambo or Indy or John McClane or Martin Riggs. Some roles just can’t be replaced. And shouldn’t.

I’m sure there’s a smaller younger segment out there who consider Alex O’Loughlin to be Steve McGarrett. But we all know that role belongs to the one and only Jack Lord! And Tom Selleck is the one and only Thomas Magnum and Richard Dean Anderson is the one true MacGyver. Doesn’t matter how many remakes or reboots of these shows they put out. Folks will remember the original.

And didn’t they try to do Rockford with Vince Vaughn? Until they wisely decided to just abandon it.

Absolutely!!!
    Accept no substitutes!

Bond might be that rare exception. Because long ago we got used to the role being changed and given to someone else. And even there Connery pretty much set the bar too high for others to follow. But I can’t see anyone else playing Rocky or Rambo or Indy or John McClane or Martin Riggs. Some roles just can’t be replaced. And shouldn’t.

I’m sure there’s a smaller younger segment out there who consider Alex O’Loughlin to be Steve McGarrett. But we all know that role belongs to the one and only Jack Lord! And Tom Selleck is the one and only Thomas Magnum and Richard Dean Anderson is the one true MacGyver. Doesn’t matter how many remakes or reboots of these shows they put out. Folks will remember the original.

And didn’t they try to do Rockford with Vince Vaughn? Until they wisely decided to just abandon it.

Well said. Bond is definitely an exception as he's an established literary character. I'd place Bond among such legendary characters as Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Dracula, Scrooge, etc. All characters in which several actors can put their stamp on.