NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes. That Scooby thing arose when, after already awkwardly appearing en masse several times, the visual culminates with them crammed into this rocky van, following the action around to no real purpose. It was just too apropos a comparison to pass up making.

To was a sedan and an SUV. ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    I1ZEpMm.jpg

I take it it's common knowledge here now that Moneypenny's clothing attire is a direct nod to the real Scooby Gang's Fred Jones? Well played, Eon. Well played.

150px-Fred_Jones.png

Q likes to sport the Shaggy Rogers hair do these days .

latest?cb=20160214195525
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,034
    danielcc wrote: »
    I am still amazed that barely anyone is commenting on the teal and orange galore in this film , especially as Mendes got so much bashing for his yellow filter in SP.

EVERYTHING we have seen from NTTD so far screams teal and orange right in your face up to a level that I have never seen in Hollywood before.

- Matera: all orange including Craigs wardrobe with a particular teal ish sky
    - Kuba: Mostly teal with bits of orange
    - Norway: all teal
    - Safins hideount incl. his wardrobe: all teal
    - the laboratory: all teal
    - bonds house on Jamaica: orange; except for interior lighting teal
    - bar in which Bond and Felix meet: all teal
    - MI6 floor: Walls are rather teal than white
    - Interrogation room: teal

A minor but still important difference here is that a lot of the colour scheme seems to stem from practical lighting choices on set (the Jamaica club and Safin's lab being prime examples), rather than the colour grading doing a huge chunk of the heavy lifting in terms of mood. This is not a dig at HVH's work (there is plenty that I like in SP) but Sandgren's does look more vibrant and contrast-y.
    I don’t see it. More M:I, but you created the moniker so you’re biased! :P
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,168
    jake24 wrote: »
    I am still amazed that barely anyone is commenting on the teal and orange galore in this film , especially as Mendes got so much bashing for his yellow filter in SP.

EVERYTHING we have seen from NTTD so far screams teal and orange right in your face up to a level that I have never seen in Hollywood before.

Welcome to the world of modern cinematography.

That's not "modern". Teal and orange was a hype between 2005-2015. Hollywood is slowly abandoning it for other complementary colours and in the colorgrading community the famous M31Lut (or variations) used to get that teal and orange look on footage, is hardly sold or used anymore. I really can't think of a 2019 blockbuster that has that intense teal and orange look NTTD looks to have. 'Joker' comes close, but even this movie used other complementay colours as well, mainly red and green.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Wasn't Skyfall the same?

S0xRSiFYUpsAeS3X1k2s8rPhjIdlRYR9gSJNCNWtnYs.jpg?auto=webp&s=250cdfd93888853d637f67818c9a80c66023d175
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Zekidk wrote: »

That's not "modern". Teal and orange was a hype between 2005-2015. Hollywood is slowly abandoning it for other complementary colours and in the colorgrading community the famous M31Lut (or variations) used to get that teal and orange look on footage, is hardly sold or used anymore.
    I'm obviously referring to the use of color filtration in modern movies. Not necessarily teal or orange but in general.

Watch a Michael bay film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Let's just face the fact that everything about this film looks amazing, in terms of visual quality.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,168
    Zekidk wrote: »

That's not "modern". Teal and orange was a hype between 2005-2015. Hollywood is slowly abandoning it for other complementary colours and in the colorgrading community the famous M31Lut (or variations) used to get that teal and orange look on footage, is hardly sold or used anymore.
    I'm obviously referring to the use of color filtration in modern movies. Not necessarily teal or orange but in general.

Okay. Every movie is graded. Has been since early 00's. But there's natural and light grading (QoS) and there's intense grading (NTTD) which some people, probably including myself, will find distracting.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Wasn't Skyfall the same?
    Yes, graded. But not a teal and orange movie. Blue is blue, not teal. The grading complimented Deakins use of light rather well.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    8JHnSzQ.jpg

Mn4IfSs.jpg

xaSVrni.jpg

LRmS8o3.jpg

8822YjS.jpg

qDeNIL5.jpg

ApNCKO3.jpg

rjMvfkm.jpg

dmpi9Sh.jpg

4AkLU6U.jpg

QDPBA68.jpg

p5Ep3kP.jpg

t0bHvnJ.jpg

For those wanting a closer look at the explosion with Bond and Felix, I have captured each frame in the scene, which gives a little more detail.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Wasn't Skyfall the same?

S0xRSiFYUpsAeS3X1k2s8rPhjIdlRYR9gSJNCNWtnYs.jpg?auto=webp&s=250cdfd93888853d637f67818c9a80c66023d175

That is so cool is that every frame?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    octofinger wrote: »
    AR-15, if memory serves. He's using something more exotic in Cuba.

Much appreciated.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    octofinger wrote: »
    AR-15, if memory serves. He's using something more exotic in Cuba.

@octofinger Useful info about the guns

https://www.range365.com/guns-james-bond-daniel-craig/
  • danielcc wrote: »

It does look unnatural in some shots, but I definitely prefer it to a yellow filter, don't you agree? I like colors popping out.
    I don’t see it. More M:I, but you created the moniker so you’re biased! :P

I used it in one post (actually “Scooby Kids”) a couple of days after SP was released in the US, I had no idea that it would ever be used again. But within a page or two, on the same thread, it had morphed into “Scooby Gang”, and there was no turning back.

I can get that. I kicked off the PAINFACE meme, was happy to see it flourish across Bond communities!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    8JHnSzQ.jpg

Mn4IfSs.jpg

xaSVrni.jpg

LRmS8o3.jpg

8822YjS.jpg

qDeNIL5.jpg

ApNCKO3.jpg

rjMvfkm.jpg

dmpi9Sh.jpg

4AkLU6U.jpg

QDPBA68.jpg

p5Ep3kP.jpg

t0bHvnJ.jpg

For those wanting a closer look at the explosion with Bond and Felix, I have captured each frame in the scene, which gives a little more detail.

Thanks @Red_Snow i was looking for that.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    8JHnSzQ.jpg

Mn4IfSs.jpg

xaSVrni.jpg

LRmS8o3.jpg

8822YjS.jpg

qDeNIL5.jpg

ApNCKO3.jpg

rjMvfkm.jpg

dmpi9Sh.jpg

4AkLU6U.jpg

QDPBA68.jpg

p5Ep3kP.jpg

t0bHvnJ.jpg

Thanks.
    Felix is very dead in that last photo.....
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    8JHnSzQ.jpg

Mn4IfSs.jpg

xaSVrni.jpg

LRmS8o3.jpg

8822YjS.jpg

qDeNIL5.jpg

ApNCKO3.jpg

rjMvfkm.jpg

dmpi9Sh.jpg

4AkLU6U.jpg

QDPBA68.jpg

p5Ep3kP.jpg

t0bHvnJ.jpg

For those wanting a closer look at the explosion with Bond and Felix, I have captured each frame in the scene, which gives a little more detail
    Bond in his suit pants so this must be connected to the Havana town-scenes, after that maybe
    So exciting to see what the next week will bring?
    As exciting as it has all been, I’m not so sure I want any more stuff until the movie itself.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Has anyone noticed that no-one through any of the marketing for this has complained about the five year gap? It's like there never was one haha :D
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited February 2020 Posts: 524
    Has anyone noticed that no-one through any of the marketing for this has complained about the five year gap? It's like there never was one haha :D

That’s probably because the film (and its marketing) promises a lot: a three hour epic film, a new young director, some fresh writers, amazing camerawork, the closing chapter to Craig’s Bond, connecting all of his films in a more exiting way than Spectre did, some stellar action and stunts, a villain played by a recent Oscar winner, a song that’s had a mostly positive reception…

So if they can deliver on those promises, no one will complain. And everyone will say it was worth the wait.

But if push comes to shove and NTTD doesn’t deliver for most fans, you bet that there’ll be complaining about the five year gap and ‘that Boyle’s version would’ve been better’, ‘they should’ve let Craig go and started fresh’, etc… ;)

That’s probably because the film (and its marketing) promises a lot: a three hour epic film, a new young director, some fresh writers, amazing camerawork, the closing chapter to Craig’s Bond, connecting all of his films in a more exiting way than Spectre did, some stellar action and stunts, a villain played by a recent Oscar winner, a song that’s had a mostly positive reception…

So if they can deliver on those promises, no one will complain. And everyone will say it was worth the wait.

But if push comes to shove and NTTD doesn’t deliver for most fans, you bet that there’ll be complaining about the five year gap and ‘that Boyle’s version would’ve been better’, ‘they should’ve let Craig go and started fresh’, etc… ;)

There is a lot riding on NTTD. We will all be VERY unhappy if it doesn’t deliver haha. The gap has been awful, and to have waited for something mediocre or worse would really hurt.
  • manovermanover uk
    edited February 2020 Posts: 170
    I cant see felix in that explosion?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    manover wrote: »
    I cant see felix in that explosion?

I couldn't then someone pointed it out to me,
    look down on the floor between Bond's legs in the first still and you'll notice it in the rest.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Spoiler tags, please.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Explosion: I think it's

Scientist Valdo (David Dencik) on the floor -- Bond has the same suit pants/white shirt as in the town-shootout scenes) and he's sent on a mission to Cuba by Felix to rescue the scientist.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

If you're saying that they are not complaining in the marketing, of course not. If you mean on here, it's been brought up (definitely by me for seemingly depending on plot lines that were forgettable five years ago).
    I meant amongst the general audience.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Explosion: I think it's

Scientist Valdo (David Dencik) on the floor -- Bond has the same suit pants/white shirt as in the town-shootout scenes) and he's sent on a mission to Cuba by Felix to rescue the scientist.

I do hope you're correct. I don't like the alternative I've been reading here.