What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

Same buildup and tempo as 'Skyfall'. I liked it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I like it, light years better than Smith's drivel.

The melody and lyrics of WOTW were excellent. It was the vocals that didn't quite fit right.
  • Well... it sounds like a Billie Eilish song. Which is not my thing. She has better vocals than Sam Smith for sure, but this song is still in the same mellow wavelength that kinda bores me. I'm sure it'll be a big hit though so good on the producers I guess.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    @1:35 the song sounds like Eilish is about to belt out, "The world is NOT enough!!!"
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Just gave the song a listen and... I got the chills. It is very restrained, and I also wish Billie would’ve found a way to go bigger. But it’s haunting and has the perfect Bondian elements w/ the horns, & the slick guitar twang at the end to button it. Vocally, Billie has a velvet voice and it coos with a demure but powerful quality. Couldn’t quite make out the lyrics in a few places, but love the “fool me once, fool me twice” (possibly alluding to another betrayal with a certain love interest). Overall, I enjoyed this one immensely and can’t wait to listen to this more.

My ranking of the Craig Bond songs thus far:

1. You Know My Name (A+)
    2. No Time To Die (A)
    3. Skyfall (B+)
    4. Another Way To Die (C)
    5. The Writing’s On The Wall (D-)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,518
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Hmm. Yeah. ..............

didn't understand the lyrics too well, but I don't feel compelled to mock it the way I did Writings on the Wall. I like the haunting vibe, but I wouldn't call this one of the more iconic Bond tracks. Maybe over time?
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,
    That the blood you bleed is just the blood you own.

We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,
    You were my life but life is far away from fair.

Was I stupid to love you? Was I reckless to help?
    What is obvious to everybody else?

But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    How you dare the paradise, (thanks @AgentJamesBond007)
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

I let it burn,
    You're no longer my concern,
    Faces from my past return,
    Another lesson to learn,

But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    How you dare the paradise,

No time to die.

No time to die.

Higher than the paradise,

The "Higher than the paradise" line is definitely wrong, but I can't understand it. Instead of "than", there's something with a D sound.

EDIT: Fixed.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Leave it to Billie Eilish to release a break up song the day before Valentine's.
    I think I'll listen to AVTAK now just to get back into the Bond mood.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Hmm. Yeah. ..............

didn't understand the lyrics too well, but I don't feel compelled to mock it the way I did Writings on the Wall. I like the haunting vibe, but I wouldn't call this one of the more iconic Bond tracks. Maybe over time?
    Yup, not one of the more iconic tracks, but a serviceable track that's alright
  • Just gave the song a listen and... I got the chills. It is very restrained, and I also wish Billie would’ve found a way to go bigger. But it’s haunting and has the perfect Bondian elements w/ the horns, & the slick guitar twang at the end to button it. Vocally, Billie has a velvet voice and it coos with a demure but powerful quality. Couldn’t quite make out the lyrics in a few places, but love the “fool me once, fool me twice” (possibly alluding to another betrayal with a certain love interest). Overall, I enjoyed this one immensely and can’t wait to listen to this more.

My ranking of the Craig Bond songs thus far:

1. You Know My Name (A+)
    2. No Time To Die (A)
    3. Skyfall (B+)
    4. Another Way To Die (C)
    5. The Writing’s On The Wall (D-)

For me

1. Skyfall
    2. You Know My Name
    3. No Time to Die
    4. The Writing's on the Wall
    5. Another Way to Die
    1. You Know My Name
    2. Skyfall
    3. No Time to Die
    4. Another Way to Die
    5. The Writing’s on the Wall

YKMN and SF are nearly tied. Hoping my ranking of the songs ends up the same as my ranking of the movies (CR, SF, QOS, then SP is my order of preference now).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    1. You Know My Name
    2. Skyfall
    3. No Time to Die
    4. Another Way to Die

YKMN and SF are nearly tied. Hoping my ranking of the songs ends up the same as my ranking of the movies (CR, SF, QOS, then SP is my order of preference now).

You hope it's worse than CR and SF? :P
    I was humming along to it the second time I listened to it. I can usually gauge a song by whether or not it sticks with me and I can sing along to it - NTTD succeeded.
    1. You Know My Name
    2. Skyfall
    3. No Time to Die
    4. Another Way to Die

+1
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Initial ranking:

1. Skyfall
    2. No Time to Die
    3. You Know My Name
    4. Writing's on the Wall
    5. Another Way to Die
    1. You Know My Name
    2. Skyfall
    3. No Time to Die
    4. Another Way to Die

You hope it's worse than CR and SF? :P

Well realistically I guess I meant :P obviously I want it to be the best Bond ever. I should have added realistically - I think it can top QoS and SP potentially, but seriously doubt it will top CR and SF. Just my own opinion.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Nice enough on first listen. Will go nicely with the visuals of a titles sequence.

Will it be produced differently for the film, more strings and horns, like "You Know My Name" was.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 12,243
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would put AWTD in second behind HKMN; I really dig it.

Interesting. I have to say I used to really dislike it a lot more, and it’s grown on me a bit, but I’m still not crazy about it. It has improved over WOTW for me though, which may end up slipping to the very bottom of the list for me.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    I find it hard to compare them already. I'd say that No Time To Die really tries to be Skyfall 2.0, but it's not as powerful as Adele is and can be.

That said, it's a beautiful song, haunting and chilling, with a great orchestration. The verses are probably the weaker parts, but the chorus is excellent and there's a good old fashioned buildup towards the end.

Thematically and lyrically, No Time To Die is the polar opposite of Writing's On The Wall. That song was a love song about how Bond found his true love. NTTD is a breakup song about how he should've never trusted that love in the first place.
    Let's hope the film does a better job of Bond and Madeleine breaking up than SP did of them falling in love.

As for that ranking, I'd currently say
    1. Skyfall
    2. No Time To Die
    3. You Know My Name
    4. Writing's On The Wall
    5. Another Way To Die

but that's maybe the rush of the moment. I'd place NTTD definitely below SF, but I'm not sure if I like YKMN better or not. WOTW and AWTD are miles below that top 3, for sure.
    Ehhh idk. Starts off very slow but picks up to towards the end. Right now mum giving it a 6/10. Need to listen to it a few more times before I really like it.
    @Birdleson just the initial ranking. Not 100% if it will stick of course but I agree letting it sit around and be relistened is important - just like judging a Bond film. Needs more than one watch for the long-run opinion (and even then it can change over time).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Girls and Boys... Barbara Broccoli said Daniel Craig's never been better as Bond as he is in NTTD... I'm now believing it... (love the scarring on his chest in that clip above... This Bond has been through everything we've seen. He's older and breaking. He wants peace, but... oops, here comes the call to duty again... One. Last. Time... I'd say DC is the closest to Fleming's St. George... and Safin does look like the Dragon...).... NTTD by Eilish is a great baseline-- haunting with a story in it that seems to match the film (unlike TWOTW)... and a great play on iconic Bond sounds sprinkled throughout... Bloody happy as a Bond fan this evening...
    peter wrote: »
    Girls and Boys... Barbara Broccoli said Daniel Craig's never been better as Bond as he is in NTTD... I'm now believing it... (love the scarring on his chest in that clip above... This Bond has been through everything we've seen. He's older and breaking. He wants peace, but... oops, here comes the call to duty again... One. Last. Time... I'd say DC is the closest to Fleming's St. George... and Safin does look like the Dragon...).... NTTD by Eilish is a great baseline-- haunting with a story in it that seems to match the film (unlike TWOTW)... and a great play on iconic Bond sounds sprinkled throughout... Bloody happy as a Bond fan this evening...

+1, 100%

+1, 100%

I agree with all of this.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Burgess wrote: »

+1, 100%

I agree with all of this.

So do I
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just couldn’t even make myself become that giddy. You are fortunate fans.

You are the Graeme Souness of the forum.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    1. Skyfall
    2. You Know My Name
    3. Another Way to Die
    4. No Time to Die
    5. Writing's on the Wall

Agreed!
    I am very happy the song is called No Time To Die and is not a song with a different name then the movie.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I am very happy the song is called No Time To Die and is not a song with a different name then the movie.

Same!
This discussion has been closed.