No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Some nice ideas there. I always get the impression from P&W having read interviews etc that they find writing a chore rather than a privilege. In the Craig tenure The franchise now attracts some of the top global talent on both sides of the lens. Would like to see that level of talent in the writing department.

EXACTLY.

Ever since Babs took control the screenwriting seems to have been a mere afterthought - they have chased & hired the most high profile actors, singers, directors, cinematographers and what-not - but Babs has consistently failed to endow the 007 series with top-notch screenplays/scripts.

I have said this before, and I will say it once more:

Barbara Broccoli is not suited or qualified to make the creative decisions for the Bond franchise. She should give this role to someone else who understands the creative process and stop being such an autocratic producer.

Babs is a dealmaker, businesswoman and guardian of her father's legacy. A film-maker she is not.

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited February 2020 Posts: 467
    mtm wrote: »
    In that form it’s not a horrible idea. I guess just adding that aspect to the character of Blofeld was the issue.
    Perhaps if the Oberhauser brother (or sister maybe) had been a secondary underling (Number Two!) that Blofeld indulged. I guess even then it’s unlikely that they’d grow up to enter the same business. Maybe Blofeld finds Oberhauser and grooms him/her because he wants to get to an MI6 officer.

Exactly. Having Oberhauser as a stand-alone villain or a lieutenant may have worked, and would have featured enough of a personal connection (even if a little redundant with Silva from Skyfall or Alec Trevelyan from Goldeneye).

Having Oberhauser build SPECTRE and his Blofeld persona because of the hatred he had towards a 11-year-old kid that his father was the legal guardian of, and who coincidentally becomes a MI6 agent in the 00 section is the most idiotic idea in the entire history of the franchise, and that's quite an achievement when we already have Die Another Day.
    That's completely at odd with the whole initial concept behind SPECTRE, a deeply secretive society, whose plans are thwarted over and over again by Bond, whom the organization simply underestimates, Blofeld was an update of the classic literary Moriarty or Mabuse character, the evil mastermind at the center of a huge web. He's already dangerous, and when his involvement with Bond ultimately becomes personal, he's even more remarkable as an opponent. Bringing personal ties right from the beginning totally undermines that.

And, regarding the three previous entries, it raises more questions than it brings answers. If Blofeld's ultimate goal is to hurt this particular enemy, that's terrible leadership that resulted in huge fiascos (as Bond defeated Le Chiffre and Mr. Green, found about Mr. White, killed Silva, etc.). Why would the rest of the organization agree on plans that look like the most expensive psychotherapy session in the history of humanity?
    Funny that. QoS is probably my favourite Craig film
    Well according to Premiére magazine :
    - It's Bab Broc who found the title of the movie.
    - There will be a 4 year between the moment when Bond retire in Jamica and be contacted by Leiter.
    - Safin familly have a pharmicical compagny.

https://www.commander007.net/2020/02/nttd-le-point-sur-la-promotion-5
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Contraband if the photos are publicity for NTTD, this thread would be appropriate.

It's not. Photoshot for a magazine. But never mind. I see now that the others in here have posted the link to the interview with the photos.
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »
    Some nice ideas there. I always get the impression from P&W having read interviews etc that they find writing a chore rather than a privilege. In the Craig tenure The franchise now attracts some of the top global talent on both sides of the lens. Would like to see that level of talent in the writing department.

EXACTLY.

Ever since Babs took control the screenwriting seems to have been a mere afterthought - they have chased & hired the most high profile actors, singers, directors, cinematographers and what-not - but Babs has consistently failed to endow the 007 series with top-notch screenplays/scripts.

Barbara Broccoli is not suited or qualified to make the creative decisions for the Bond franchise. She should give this role to someone else who understands the creative process and stop being such an autocratic producer.

Babs is a dealmaker, businesswoman and guardian of her father's legacy. A film-maker she is not.

Billy bollocks.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

EXACTLY.

Yeah, I kinda agree.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 440
    EXACTLY.

I agree. I hate how her tenure has produced a string of financially successful, popular films. Each success be it critical and or commercial is just proof of her total incompetence.

And her complete disrespect for the creative process is especially galling when you consider that her father was notorious for never getting involved with the storytelling or filmmaking aspects of his Bonds.

I mean, the very idea of Cubby overruling the writers/director and adding in new locations, or actors, plot points, or contemporary fads because he thought they would help the movie sell better or save some money, is ludicrous.

Well don't worry. Once Barbara sees your comment, good sir, I think you can expect an immediate announcement of her retirement and a handwritten letter of apology.

:)
    Octopussy wrote: »

EXACTLY.

Yeah, I kinda agree.

Yep. It's total nonsense. BB is very smart and also very creative. Look at her vision for seeing Craig as Bond when many failed to do the same. And, having had the pleasure of working on LTK, I can say, with first hand knowledge, she is a true leader. She was given the job of overseeing the production (she was just 28 then) of the climatic tanker chase in LTK. No mean task because it was a very complex action sequence and a huge logistical, creative and scheduling job (especially filming dangerous stunts in a remote location), but BB did the job brilliantly. John Glen was hugely impressed because her smart thinking and creative approach meant he and his crew were able to achieve shots and stage the big stunts as they wanted, and this would not have been possible without such intricate planning. BB knows her stuff.

I love Babs. Let's nos confuse things. One can hate the house writers and adore the producers at the same time. One can hate some of their decisions and adore them at the same time. After all, isn't that what family is all about?

So, as I've said countless times, Long Live the Queen! Babs, I mean.
  • In that recent interview with MGW and BB she said that they try to make the best Bond film they can each time, but acknowledged that some end up being better than others. I think that's a fair assessment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    EXACTLY.

I agree. I hate how her tenure has produced a string of financially successful, popular films. Each success be it critical and or commercial is just proof of her total incompetence.

Haha! Don't forget that she cast the longest-running Bond actor of them, whose uniquely BAFTA-nominated popularity in the role has seen a couple of the highest-earning and most celebrated entries in the series so far. How dare she, eh?
    :D
    In that recent interview with MGW and BB she said that they try to make the best Bond film they can each time, but acknowledged that some end up being better than others. I think that's a fair assessment.

I can't honestly see any other way she could look at it! Reminds me of this approach to writing a sketch show:

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Not saying Barbara is better than her father...but the fact that she was able to spot Daniel Craig when the rest of the world didn't, was quite something. maybe She might end up picking the 7th Bond actor again, all by herself without suggestions from anyone....based on her being so accurate with Craig's casting.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Not saying Barbara is better than her father...but the fact that she was able to spot Daniel Craig when the rest of the world didn't, was quite something. maybe She might end up picking the 7th Bond actor again, all by herself without suggestions from anyone....based on her being so accurate with Craig's casting.

I have a feeling she may let her nephew Gregg make the call on who to cast next. The Brosnan era was MGW’s, Craig was Babs’, and the next will be Gregg’s.

I have a feeling she may let her nephew Gregg make the call on who to cast next. The Brosnan era was MGW’s, Craig was Babs’, and the next will be Gregg’s.

No, BB will lead the ship with Gregg's support. MGW will continue to support, but, perhaps, easing up a bit on his work load. BB will keep charge for as long as she chooses, and I suspect that will mean into old age just like her father.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    EXACTLY.

And her complete disrespect for the creative process is especially galling when you consider that her father was notorious for never getting involved with the storytelling or filmmaking aspects of his Bonds.

I mean, the very idea of Cubby overruling the writers/director and adding in new locations, or actors, plot points, or contemporary fads because he thought they would help the movie sell better or save some money, is ludicrous.

Well don't worry. Once Barbara sees your comment, good sir, I think you can expect an immediate announcement of her retirement and a handwritten letter of apology.

User: criticises the quality of a movie
    Anyone: WhAt AbOuT tHe BoX oFfIcE?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Walecs wrote: »
    EXACTLY.

User: criticises the quality of a movie
    Anyone: WhAt AbOuT tHe BoX oFfIcE?

I think Craig’s run has more distinction than just having a good box office turnout. Contrast that with the Transformers films, which made money from the start but are largely regarded as bad films. You can’t say the same of CR and SF regardless of your opinion.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    ColonelSun wrote: »

No, BB will lead the ship with Gregg's support. MGW will continue to support, but, perhaps, easing up a bit on his work load. BB will keep charge for as long as she chooses, and I suspect that will mean into old age just like her father.

The only thing I hope for the future is that Michael G. Wilson keeps making cameos in these films until he's not physically capable anymore. And I'm serious about that, I'd miss it if he were not to do them anymore.

As for the rest of EON, I must admit that it's not going to be easy: closing off a 5-film story in a satisfying way, parting ways with an actor who has been in the role for over 14 years, and then find an adequate replacement in a pool of literally dozens of actors who all want a shot at this once-in-a-lifetime job, coming up with a new direction for the series that fits the talents of the actor they've chosen... That's difficult. I don't envy them. But I guess being a family business can be a big help: BB is not alone, she can lean on MGW and Gregg if needed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I would love to see one of us produce a billion dollar franchise, and then come and rip into Barbara Broccoli because I'm sure if any of you were in her shoes, the franchise wouldn't be what you think it would be. We act too much like filmmaking and James Bond films are the easiest thing in the world. It's really not.

And blaming one person for it is kinda stupid too. When you have something new at a restaurant, is it just bad? Is it the chefs fault that you don't like it? or is it just your opinion because there are plenty of other people that do enjoy it? Your tastebuds maybe wanted something more or less, whereas someone else was completely happy with what they were given. Just because you don't like the food, doesn't make the person a bad chef. Just means that particular meal wasn't for you.

Sorry for the analogy, couldn't help it.
    @ mtm
    Mitchell & Webb are comedy geniuses, especially for their Radio series'. Probably my favorite sketch-duo of all time. Quality WRITING, you see...

@ non-specific
    If you think that the quality of writing that we've had under Babs' supervision is anything but well below-par... well, in that case I can't really help you #-o

And I hardly think that her taking the credit for casting DC 'cos he made her vuvuzela tingle is sufficient credit for some of the creative debacles she's green-lit since.

On a more positive note - pleased to see we are rid of Mendes and his try-hard psychodrama. Looking fwd to NTTD with hopefully more CR and less SF/P...
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I would love to see one of us produce a billion dollar franchise, and then come and rip into Barbara Broccoli because I'm sure if any of you were in her shoes, the franchise wouldn't be what you think it would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_accomplishment

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I would love to see one of us produce a billion dollar franchise, and then come and rip into Barbara Broccoli because I'm sure if any of you were in her shoes, the franchise wouldn't be what you think it would be.

Still a valid point nonetheless...

I just think people like to dump their anger at Barbara's shoes because I guess to them it's only possible explanation for the failures of the franchise. Not the director or the writers or the other producers, including Craig himself... Barbara.

And before people say, she's just as much to blame. Cool. I can see that but to constantly talk about how she ruined the franchise and she's responsible for the failures, and making comments about how she cast Craig because he made her "vuvuzela tingle", when a lot of people on this site cast Bond girls with their balls anyway, is insulting to what she's achieved and is a seemingly blatant attempt at putting the blame on one person that people would rather have made the mistakes...

I don't see anyone bad mouth Michael G. Wilson as much as Barbara, which makes no sense to me because they're partners in this and hold the same amount of power.
    Yeah, fake news are also fake but they're still true.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,727
    Vuvuzela's almost ruined the 2010 World Cup, you know... but that's a separate discussion.

And I never claimed that Babs 'ruined' the Bond franchise. My point is that she is far less capable of calling the creative shots than she seems to think - the constant re-hiring of Purvis & Wade being the main grievance as laid forth by the prosecution, your Honour...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185

Still a valid point nonetheless...

I just think people like to dump their anger at Barbara's shoes because I guess to them it's only possible explanation for the failures of the franchise. Not the director or the writers or the other producers, including Craig himself... Barbara.

And before people say, she's just as much to blame. Cool. I can see that but to constantly talk about how she ruined the franchise and she's responsible for the failures, and making comments about how she cast Craig because he made her "vuvuzela tingle", when a lot of people on this site cast Bond girls with their balls anyway, is insulting to what she's achieved and is a seemingly blatant attempt at putting the blame on one person that people would rather have made the mistakes...

I don't see anyone bad mouth Michael G. Wilson as much as Barbara, which makes no sense to me because they're partners in this and hold the same amount of power.

+1
    And I like the way you worded that part about Babs and Craig lol

Edit: Oh i see that wasn't you. Would have been great sarcasm otherwise.

I think the point is that BB makes mistakes and has successes. Like her father, she’s intimately involved with the development of the films. I think unlike her father she gives directors much more latitude in making creative decisions. We can criticize her for certain issues with Spectre and NTTD’s productions but we should also understand how these issues came about.

This era has been incredibly successful financially and critically. So, if deserves the blame for its shortcomings then she also deserves praise for its achievements.

Burgess wrote: »

I think the point is that BB makes mistakes and has successes. Like her father, she’s intimately involved with the development of the films. I think unlike her father she gives directors much more latitude in making creative decisions. We can criticize her for certain issues with Spectre and NTTD’s productions but we should also understand how these issues came about.

This era has been incredibly successful financially and critically. So, if deserves the blame for its shortcomings then she also deserves praise for its achievements.

I understand that and I agree. I'm just sick of the "you can't criticize a movie unless you make one" mentality.
  • RC7RC7

I understand that and I agree. I'm just sick of the "you can't criticize a movie unless you make one" mentality.

Although it would be interesting watching all the Little Lord Fauntleroys give it a go. It’d be like pushing a cat in the sea and saying, ‘swim’.
  • Some people here expect every Bond movie to be Citizen Kane. Even Orson Welles couldn't do that.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RC7 wrote: »

Although it would be interesting watching all the Little Lord Fauntleroys give it a go. It’d be like pushing a cat in the sea and saying, ‘swim’.

I agree with what @Walecs said but that would be really funny :))