No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If you prefer his performances in the first three and what we see in NTTD, it makes sense his SP performance may not be what you want out of him.

I can’t rank it at #24. There’s so much worse and even more boring entries like TND and TWINE.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Everyone's favourite bulldog is back in NTTD!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The main problem I have with SP is, there's no sense of danger or suspense....I think it's fairly Ok to play a relaxed Bond. But at least let's feel Bond in peril. Even movies like DAD had moments where we felt something. Bond captured & tortured, Frost betraying Bond, the facial features of Zao, Bond escaping Frost....even though it was weak, there were things we took away.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    The main problem I have with SP is, there's no sense of danger or suspense....I think it's fairly Ok to play a relaxed Bond. But at least let's feel Bond in peril. Even movies like DAD had moments where we felt something. Bond captured & tortured, Frost betraying Bond, the facial features of Zao, Bond escaping Frost....even though it was weak, there were things we took away.

I don't know. I thought the pre-title action and copter fight was good, and the fight with Hinx on the train was well staged and Bond sure as hell took a beating, although I wish Bond had emerged more physically bloodied and battered like in CR etc. And the torture scene, with its nod to Colonel Sun, made sure Bond suffered.

ColonelSun wrote: »

I don't know. I thought the pre-title action and copter fight was good, and the fight with Hinx on the train was well staged and Bond sure as hell took a beating, although I wish Bond had emerged more physically bloodied and battered like in CR etc. And the torture scene, with its nod to Colonel Sun, made sure Bond suffered.

Yeah, those scenes were good no doubt. it's just that lately, I find it hard to watch it post the helicopter fight....maybe the most tense scenes are when Bond meets Mr white & the SP meeting. And even at that, it wasn't that tense....there wasn't just enough reason to be afraid of anything.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I find SP frustrating because for me it is so nearly a very good film.
    1 - I'd have removed the Bond/Blofeld personal connection because it's clumsy and makes Bonds's world seem smaller.
    2 - I'd have re written the 'I'll torture you and it will have no impact on you whatsoever ' scene. We need stakes.
    3 - Make the car chase less pedestrian.
    4 - Make me believe Bond and Swann are in love enough for him and to drive off into the sunset together.
    Sorry I know this is in the wrong thread really but it felt like a natural response to previous comments.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If you prefer his performances in the first three and what we see in NTTD, it makes sense his SP performance may not be what you want out of him.

I can’t rank it at #24. There’s so much worse and even more boring entries like TND and TWINE.

As said I'm not invested in that era it is like any other film, I'm not a fan of Brosnan, I've changed my mind on GE but it isn't a favourite the rest is just white noise.

I invested in this era and this is what I got, like I said it was the most disappointing moment in my close 43 years being a Bond fan.

I think the PTS is good bar that ridiculous CGI explosion and then after that it just descends for me.

In the answer to liking Craig in the first 3 and then what he is like in NTTD but not SPECTRE, to me the fact that he is so different is the problem.

Yes some people even me at one point wanted to see him more relaxed more like previous actors takes but you know, this isn't DC's Bond he needs something with some meat not just walking around being cool.

Connery and Moore could do that in their sleep, Craig's is a different take on the character and I'd rather see that than him trying to be someone else.

Also that train fight is bloodless compare that to the fisticuffs in other films, even SF he looks more beat up.

They totally bungled Bond and White meeting up, White has a conscience, what a load of nonsense.

I'm not sure you know this but @peter and I have been working on an alternative of this version. We finished a 1st draft which basically was a tweaking of some scenes and a removing of the Brothergate stuff and the personal element but it still wasn't great.

Even beefed up the White element made him more entwined in the plot but still even with a totally different Blofeld not one Bond knows personally but the man behind everything since CR not SF (SF is the GF of this era). It was still pretty lame. There is no threat, nine eyes is just lame.

Peter and I then discussed what to do next. I'm not going into what we've done because at some point I want the forum to see it and be surprised but we threw most of what would make anyone recognise SP in it out and have come up with our own ideas.

I'm not screenwriter it was just a silly little thing that I mentioned to Peter when we became friends but he is and he said to me, that he noticed how bad the story once he got into trying to rework it with me.

We tried a few options, I came up with some ideas to make the Denbigh, M and Q element better more threat but 9 Eyes is rubbish.

We decided that one element needed to go and as soon as that went it freed us to go forward and spin this off into our own direction.

I can't wait for No Time To Die.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Agreed. Nothing makes me feel invested in Spectre.
    Madeleine says she loves Bond and I don't care because it sounds so fake.
    Blofeld says he and Bond knew each other as children but neither Bond or the audience seem to care.
    After Blofeld's lair is blown up I don't even care if they will stop the Nine Eyes plot because everything feels anticlimatic.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I was glad the skewed away from the visible injuries SF and SP. It started to feel a bit gimmicky.
    Walecs wrote: »

Agreed. Nothing makes me feel invested in Spectre.
    Madeleine says she loves Bond and I don't care because it sounds so fake.
    Blofeld says he and Bond knew each other as children but neither Bond or the audience seem to care.
    After Blofeld's lair is blown up I don't even care if they will stop the Nine Eyes plot because everything feels anticlimatic.

Exactly, it feels anticlimactic....but thankfully, so far, NTTD is looking like a return to 'Danger' Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Shardlake wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Nobody has EVER claimed P&W are the best Bond writers. If EON actually believed that then they never would have brought in other writers to take over like Paul Haggis, John Logan, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Yeah, I know, it's just that your post seemed to make a point about P&B being competent and decent writers and then you ended that by saying that they didn't make QoS, which in my opinion is one of the best written Bonds.

Really? I find it hugely under-written: the themes aren't really carried through, the gags are weak, the plot is barely there... the writer's strike really shows in that one.

If it shows there, what happened on SPECTRE? There was no strike there and QOS is nowhere as bad as the nonsense in SP.

Spectre is full of incident though. I wouldn’t say it’s a great story, no; but it does feel at least fully written. There are lots of decently thought-out lines and situations and the plot at least does try and pull in one direction, without themes and threads just trailing away to nothing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Cannot agree with Craig giving his “worst” performance in SP. I wouldn’t even be sure what would qualify his worst because I think they’re all equally great, but I loved seeing Craig play a much more confident Bond that’s not going through some personal crisis after three films.

I agree with you. I don't think Craig has missed a step playing Bond. In SP, he shows a more relaxed side to his Bond, which is what many fans, even on this forum, seemed to want. From the look of NTTD, seems Bond is in for a really rough emotional ride again, and Craig will deliver another fine performance, I have no doubt about that.

Yeah I loved his more relaxed, occasionally playful version in Spectre. It felt like the same guy from CR but being more comfortable in his own skin. He adds to his take every time. I’m not going to be silly and try and bash his take in QoS because it’s not a tit for tat game.
    Although his hair was way worse in that ;)

cwl007 wrote: »
    1 - I'd have removed the Bond/Blofeld personal connection because it's clumsy and makes Bonds's world seem smaller.
    2 - I'd have re written the 'I'll torture you and it will have no impact on you whatsoever ' scene. We need stakes.
    4 - Make me believe Bond and Swann are in love enough for him and to drive off into the sunset together.
    Sorry I know this is in the wrong thread really but it felt like a natural response to previous comments.

Yeah I’d go with all that :)
    Cannot agree with Craig giving his “worst” performance in SP. I wouldn’t even be sure what would qualify his worst because I think they’re all equally great, but I loved seeing Craig play a much more confident Bond that’s not going through some personal crisis after three films.

I agree with you. I don't think Craig has missed a step playing Bond. In SP, he shows a more relaxed side to his Bond, which is what many fans, even on this forum, seemed to want. From the look of NTTD, seems Bond is in for a really rough emotional ride again, and Craig will deliver another fine performance, I have no doubt about that.

Yeah I loved his more relaxed, occasionally playful version in Spectre. It felt like the same guy from CR but being more comfortable in his own skin. He adds to his take every time. I’m not going to be silly and try and bash his take in QoS because it’s not a tit for tat game.
    Although his hair was way worse in that ;)

Yeah I’d go with all that :)

You didn't like his hair in QoS? Lately I've been thinking it looks it's best in SP and NTTD.
    I love all four of Craig's Bond performances. He's reasonably consistent, yet seems to grow into the role. By SP he's certainly a seasoned Bond.
    As much as I like his darker tone in CR and QoS, I'd equally have liked to seen him in a more outlandish entry akin to DAF or OP. I tend to wonder how his Bond would fare in the more ridiculous situations, and could Craig himself have pulled it off?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just want to say how psyched I am about this film. And hearing it is almost, not quite, 3 hrs long is fine with me. Cary and Linus keep me confident that this will be a fine Bond film. B-)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I just want to say how psyched I am about this film. And hearing it is almost, not quite, 3 hrs long is fine with me. Cary and Linus keep me confident that this will be a fine Bond film. B-)

Robert Wade's comments may imply that this film won't necessarily reach towards the "close to 3 hours" mark as originally thought.
    I'm happy if it's over 2 and a half hours.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You didn't like his hair in QoS?

Haha! Yeah it’s really bad in that one; they only really seemed to nail it in Sp! :)
    Looks good in this one too.

I love all four of Craig's Bond performances. He's reasonably consistent, yet seems to grow into the role. By SP he's certainly a seasoned Bond.
    As much as I like his darker tone in CR and QoS, I'd equally have liked to seen him in a more outlandish entry akin to DAF or OP. I tend to wonder how his Bond would fare in the more ridiculous situations, and could Craig himself have pulled it off?

I’m sure he’d smash it to be honest: Sf was a bit of a shift in tone in places (The catching the tube gag etc.) and he didn’t seem out of place at all. I think he can move between the tones really well (landing on a sofa!) where I think Dalton would really have felt out of place.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2020 Posts: 10,512

Haha! Yeah it’s really bad in that one; they only really seemed to nail it in Sp! :)

I’m sure he’d smash it to be honest: Sf was a bit of a shift in tone in places (The catching the tube gag etc.) and he didn’t seem out of place at all. I think he can move between the tones really well (landing on a sofa!) where I think Dalton would really have felt out of place.

I agree with that. He’s a little overlooked when it comes to humour but his style of humour is different, indifferent you might say. Craig does nonchalance very well. Always makes me laugh when he delivers the, ‘Good evening’ after the car chase ejector seat moment.

EDIT: Also with the tube moment - the extra delivering ‘He’s keen to get home’ is dreadful but Craig’s, ‘Open the door...’ is delivered brilliantly. He’s really good at that stuff I just think people got too used to the hard-edged angle. He can do both.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Theme song out tomorrow:

• Nice! Can't wait to give it a listen..or 10. ;)
    Great News. Quite excited. Is there a specific time tomorrow?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ToTheRight wrote: »

4PM PST
    ToTheRight wrote: »

4PM PST

Thanks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Contraband wrote: »
    vSdZZjq.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=3556177
    edited February 2020 Posts: 12,459
    So ... Thursday aftn? (which time zone?) Where's the best place to see/hear it first - her instagram?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    RC7 wrote: »

I agree with that. He’s a little overlooked when it comes to humour but his style of humour is different, indifferent you might say. Craig does nonchalance very well. Always makes me laugh when he delivers the, ‘Good evening’ after the car chase ejector seat moment.

EDIT: Also with the tube moment - the extra delivering ‘He’s keen to get home’ is dreadful but Craig’s, ‘Open the door...’ is delivered brilliantly. He’s really good at that stuff I just think people got too used to the hard-edged angle. He can do both.

I really love the “keen to get home” line because it’s so sort of unironically cheesy :) Like that wonderful shot in the pre-titles of the line of police bikes that all ride off when Moneypenny’s Land Rover speeds past them: it’s pure Roger Moore stuff and I love the way Mendes embraces it :)
    And yeah: Craig’s ‘open the door’ is bang on: he’s great at this stuff.

Exciting about the theme song, although that little snippet there does make me think slightly nervously of Writings on The Wall. Sounds like it’ll be a slow emotional one; fingers crossed it’s a good one! :)

What’s 4pm PST in English money? :)
  • ConnorConnor UK
    RC7 wrote: »

I really love the “keen to get home” line because it’s so sort of unironically cheesy :) Like that wonderful shot in the pre-titles of the line of police bikes that all ride off when Moneypenny’s Land Rover speeds past them: it’s pure Roger Moore stuff and I love the way Mendes embraces it :)
    And yeah: Craig’s ‘open the door’ is bang on: he’s great at this stuff.

Exciting about the theme song, although that little snippet there does make me think slightly nervously of Writings on The Wall. Sounds like it’ll be a slow emotional one; fingers crossed it’s a good one! :)

What’s 4pm PST in English money? :)

Midnight :)
  • mtm wrote: »

She's apparently said that it's "more of a ballad," for what that's worth. Sounds fairly subdued - though I don't think we were expecting a big rocker from her, right?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Nobody has EVER claimed P&W are the best Bond writers. If EON actually believed that then they never would have brought in other writers to take over like Paul Haggis, John Logan, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Yeah, I know, it's just that your post seemed to make a point about P&B being competent and decent writers and then you ended that by saying that they didn't make QoS, which in my opinion is one of the best written Bonds.

Really? I find it hugely under-written: the themes aren't really carried through, the gags are weak, the plot is barely there... the writer's strike really shows in that one.

If it shows there, what happened on SPECTRE? There was no strike there and QOS is nowhere as bad as the nonsense in SP.

Spectre is full of incident though. I wouldn’t say it’s a great story, no; but it does feel at least fully written. There are lots of decently thought-out lines and situations and the plot at least does try and pull in one direction, without themes and threads just trailing away to nothing.

I watched the film today it is bloody terrible very badly written, totally lacks tension and goes nowhere.

That shoot out the at the crater is like a video game and that biggest explosion, I've never seen something more anti-climatic in the era.

Also that perfect shot that takes down Ernst helicopter, please don't make me laugh. Also 9 eyes delivered with all suspense and danger of a damp squib.

I don't mind DC more relaxed and jokey in SF but that Mickey Mouse line, maybe I'll give you the one after he parachutes down in Rome but the rest, just awful.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I watched the film today it is bloody terrible very badly written, totally lacks tension and goes nowhere.

That shoot out the at the crater is like a video game and that biggest explosion, I've never seen something more anti-climatic in the era.

Also that perfect shot that takes down Ernst helicopter, please don't make me laugh. Also 9 eyes delivered with all suspense and danger of a damp squib.

I don't mind DC more relaxed and jokey in SF but that Mickey Mouse line, maybe I'll give you the one after he parachutes down in Rome but the rest, just awful.

You’re not really talking about the script here when you say how things are delivered.