NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    A lot of the negative stuff I've seen has been regurgitation of the same things that people have been saying since Craig became Bond, and none of that had an impact on the takings of the previous four films.

Not wanting to intrude here, but that's actually true. That and a bit of that "woke fear" stuff, which is the "thing" of the moment. No one, in retrospect, will think about any of that when rewatching the film on a much later date. It'll be a good Bond film or it won't. And even if it's not a good Bond film, it'll still be on the shelve along with the other 24 and counting. And we'll still watch it on the telly and put it on our players. Why? Because we're fans of this stuff. Just be grateful we've got a new one coming up.

And it'll be here in two months time.

Some fans might leave and I definitely know some of them but I'm not naming names. Especially if the brand starts to turn into Marvel people don't want a marvel rip off.

Good luck to them.

Sad really why we push further away from its identity hope it doesn't turn into star wars but its headed in that direction. @CraigMooreOHMSS
    A lot of the negative stuff I've seen has been regurgitation of the same things that people have been saying since Craig became Bond, and none of that had an impact on the takings of the previous four films.

Not wanting to intrude here, but that's actually true. That and a bit of that "woke fear" stuff, which is the "thing" of the moment. No one, in retrospect, will think about any of that when rewatching the film on a much later date. It'll be a good Bond film or it won't. And even if it's not a good Bond film, it'll still be on the shelve along with the other 24 and counting. And we'll still watch it on the telly and put it on our players. Why? Because we're fans of this stuff. Just be grateful we've got a new one coming up.

Some fans might leave and I definitely know some of them but I'm not naming names. Especially if the brand starts to turn into Marvel people don't want a marvel rip off.

Good luck to them.

Yep, good riddance (no one will leave, trust me). Besides, we've already established that Bond is a family business and it has nothing to do with Marvel or how other franchises are run in the cinema industry. It's its own thing.

And...if DAD didn't make fans go away, I doubt anything else will.

I hope not but all the talk here is like we are talking marvel.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Good luck to them.

Yep, good riddance (no one will leave, trust me). Besides, we've already established that Bond is a family business and it has nothing to do with Marvel or how other franchises are run in the cinema industry. It's its own thing.

And...if DAD didn't make fans go away, I doubt anything else will.

Exactly....till this day a great deal of Non-Bond fans still say DAD is the best Bond film.....and many still prefer it to CR.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like most of it.

I quite like the Cuba bit, but that's beside the point :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I despise DAD. Every time I do a Bond-a-thon it is the one where I have to turn it off many times, take a break and get back to it later.

I can't stand the sickeningly over-the-top snarling idiocy of Graves (why didn't he place a Hello My Name Is Lead Villain on all of his shirts? After all, he was telegraphing to everyone how "bad" he was. There was nothing charming about him. Nothing intelligent that would suggest he's a smooth operator; like the film, his portrayal didn't care about nuance and everything was dialled up to a very annoying Eleven (out of Ten)).

Jinx was a paper-thin depiction of female "sassiness" and every time she opens her mouth, my ears bleed.

Brosnan, never a favorite, was so hairy, looked terrible without his shirt on, and it always irked me that he could never sell a punch (his closest came in the fight against Alec-- but, unfortunately for Brozzer, it was Bean who knew how to make a scrap look believable and he elevated this over-choreographed match).

The story was silly.

The action was cheap and pedestrian.

The Robo-cop suit and the final fights aboard the cartoon airplane was an abomination.

Getting that off my chest-- and with my passionate dislike for most everything about the film-- it never drove me away from Bond. I just thought-- wow, that was a really bad Bond flick. And then I waited for the next one.
    peter wrote: »
    I despise DAD.
    Getting that off my chest-- and with my passionate dislike for most everything about the film-- it never drove me away from Bond. I just thought-- wow, that was a really bad Bond flick. And then I waited for the next one.

And that was exactly my point, thanks @peter ;)

BTW, we are in total agreement about DUD. And I was a big Brozza fan. But that one nearly killed me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As a Brosnan fan, @Univex, DAD must have been a terrible blow.

(as an aside, I wish I liked Brosnan more, but... it just never clicked for me)...

(as an aside, I wish I liked Brosnan more, but... it just never clicked for me)...

It was. It turned me off from Bond for about a year, to tell you the truth. But I came back to my senses after watching the first Connery 4, OHMSS, TMWGG, TLD and even GE in a straight row.

But yes, as a massive Brosnan fan that I was, even knowing his limitations as an actor, DUD was a super blow. Particularly because I invited my family to go see the film with me at the theatre. I was incredibly embarrassed. I was embarrassed to be a Bond fan for the first time in my life.

And then, I wasn't. It all came back to normal. Of course CR helped. A lot.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah, we all know DAD isn't that great....but I think the point is, no matter how terrible a Bond film is, it still gets to make money....it might be surprising....but just because Non-Bond fans have no clue what 'The Hildebrand Rarity' means....doesn't mean they don't like Bond...and they're as many as real Bond fans....just that only the real Bond fans display nitpicking more....to the Non-Bond fan...the Invisible Car is cooler than the suitcase in FRWL.
  • peterpeter Toronto

It was. It turned me off from Bond for about a year, to tell you the truth. But I came back to my senses after watching the first Connery 4, OHMSS, TMWGG, TLD and even GE in a straight row.

But yes, as a massive Brosnan fan that I was, even knowing his limitations as an actor, DUD was a super blow. Particularly because I invited my family to go see the film with me at the theatre. I was incredibly embarrassed. I was embarrassed to be a Bond fan for the first time in my life.

... and those four Connery films would light a fire under anyone's butt-- they were/are fantastic pieces of cinema!! To me, a larger-than-life quality that we won't see again.

Reading your story, bringing family out to share this film with you, I had an image of a guy, in his cinema seat, covering his face, pumping sweat, shrinking in his seat. I don't mean to make light of the situation, but I laughed out loud, @Univex !!

It all worked out in the end. You're an optimistic fan, who has his own issues with the series, but never anything with vitriol.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 17,312
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    to the Non-Bond fan...the Invisible Car is cooler than the suitcase in FRWL.

Indeed. I have non-Bond fan friends that found the invisible car fantastic.

... and those four Connery films would light a fire under anyone's butt-- they were/are fantastic pieces of cinema!! To me, a larger-than-life quality that we won't see again.

Reading your story, bringing family out to share this film with you, I had an image of a guy, in his cinema seat, covering his face, pumping sweat, shrinking in his seat. I don't mean to make light of the situation, but I laughed out loud, @Univex !!

It all worked out in the end. You're an optimistic fan, who has his own issues with the series, but never anything with vitriol.

Years later, someone from that ensemble got her revenge. She took me to a screening of a new Brozza film. She said it was worth seeing. There I was, sitting beside her, getting ready to watch Mamma Mia, and have a trauma even bigger than DUD. It actually helped me get over it. You know, the lesser of two evils :-D

Laugh at will, my friend ;) Learning curves...
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Does nobody wonder what M says?

M says:

Humanity is on the verge of a global catastrophe.

M says:

Interesting anymore?
    edited February 2020 Posts: 871

M says:

Interesting anymore?

No, that's it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

M says:

Interesting anymore?

What if is about some kind of killer virus? SPECTRE acolytes falling like dominos seems like an indication. I don’t know but I like the fact that Safin’s plan is revolving around a global menace.
    Safin says the same thing he says in the original trailer, but Russian translation is slightly different:

Your skills will be gone when you die, and I will live forever.
    He is the only one who has the antidote to his own virus it makes sense now it's like the coronavirus everyone is going to die. We have any sort of translation to the whole thing?
    Only M and Blofeld say new lines, the rest is the same as in the original trailer.
    Only M and Blofeld say new lines, the rest is the same as in the original trailer.

Ok I have this wierd feeling the Safin and nomi are the same person maybe genetic cloning.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Ok I have this wierd feeling the Safin and nomi are the same person maybe genetic cloning.
    And you think this because?
    Denbigh wrote: »

And you think this because?

No reason really I thought we heard about cloning as part of the plot and the mask
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Pretty sure M says the same "faster than we can respond" line, only we actually see it this time. You can tell by the movement of his lips.
    Pretty sure M says the same "faster than we can respond" line, only we actually see it this time. You can tell by the movement of his lips.

I'm telling what M says in Russian dubbing, not what Ralph Fiennes says originally.

It's: Humanity is on the verge of a global catastrophe.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I'm telling what M says in Russian dubbing, not what Ralph Fiennes says originally.

Makes sense. So, not a new line then.

Yes, it could be a freedom of translation.

Alternatively, those could be M's words right before or after he says 'faster than we can respond'.

For example: 'The world is arming faster than we can respond. Humanity is on the verge of a global disaster.'

Remains to be seen.
    mtm wrote: »
    As much as I've seen of the character I like her. @mtm
    mtm wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Apparently according to blackfilm.com paloma is a friend of Felix Leiter's

Yeah we know she’s CIA so it makes sense.

Yeah people still think she is a baddie I think not. I think Felix dies and then Bond joins up with her.

No way she’s a baddie. Quite the opposite. She will just help bond in Cuba that’s it. It’s pretty much confirmed she will be a messy kind of woman making mistakes, so perhaps she will add some humor to the story.

EDIT: Felix dying is a strong possibility, perhaps the reason why Bond accepts to go on mission in the first place...

I didn't think of Felix dying but they could well kill him off, yeah.
    Apparently according to blackfilm.com paloma is a friend of Felix Leiter's

Yeah we know she’s CIA so it makes sense.

Yeah people still think she is a baddie I think not. I think Felix dies and then Bond joins up with her.

No way she’s a baddie. Quite the opposite. She will just help bond in Cuba that’s it. It’s pretty much confirmed she will be a messy kind of woman making mistakes, so perhaps she will add some humor to the story.

EDIT: Felix dying is a strong possibility, perhaps the reason why Bond accepts to go on mission in the first place...

Yeah I like her character alot. she will be a great Bond girl

Do we know anything about her character? We haven't even seen her speak have we?

You must like your women silent then! :D

@mtm ?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Good luck to them.

Sad really why we push further away from its identity hope it doesn't turn into star wars but its headed in that direction. @CraigMooreOHMSS

It really isn't.

Yes, it could be a freedom of translation.

Alternatively, those could be M's words right before or after he says 'faster than we can respond'.

For example: 'The world is arming faster than we can respond. Humanity is on the verge of a global disaster.'

Remains to be seen.

In the original full Russian trailer M says the catastrophe line as a translation of the faster than we can respond one.

So yeah, only new dialogue here is Blofeld.
    I am wondering when the title song is going to be released? Will their be any film footage in any potential video too?