NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Sure, but even though trailers are played before the main film, the vast majority of consumers does not see them in cinemas but on social media. I would venture to guess that in terms of impact it is far less important to hook a new trailer to a film than to place it on FB, Twitter, iTunes, Instagram and so on. Large sections of the cinemagoing public may not go to see Mulan or Quiet Place 2 in the time before April. Just saying that online distribution of trailers is far more important than, say, 5 years ago.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Univex wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »
    And what's the chance that the Superbowl teaser might actually be the last trailer we get before opening day?

I'm hoping that it is. I want to be surprised by this one. And I'm glad they didn't give me the choice, spoilers wise. Thank you, EON.

I don't need to see anything else besides the film. Well, a poster would be nice. A nice poster, I mean.

+1
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 646
    mtm wrote: »
    @mtm, arguing with you is exhausting, not because you’re wright or wrong, but because you simply enjoy debate by logic and linguistic fencing. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se, sometimes its good fun, but most of the time you’re arguing against people and things that are not antagonist to your aims. Twisting is not always putting into form, sometimes its just twisting.

No need to get personal. I don’t believe in the assertion so I’m putting the case against it. Saying that the Bond films should and have never done something which they clearly have done several times right from the start makes no sense to me: maybe it does to you. You’re welcome to explain why you think they haven’t if you believe the opposite.
    I’m not going to have a go at your character: if you want to have a go at me personally please do so over the PMs, not on the open board. I don’t believe in questioning the person, just the opinion.

Not having a go at you at all. I enjoy reading your comments. I just think that you two were actually in agreement and we’re fighting for semantics.

Yes, Bond films have a formula and they also are always innovative one way or another.

Getting rid of the so called formula entirely and calling that innovation would be idiotic. That doesn’t mean innovation hasn’t been part of the films since the beginning.

And I suppose we all can agree on that.

And hey, if I said racing against Alain Prost was exhausting, I wouldn’t be criticising him negatively, would I. You could very well take my post as a compliment. I did say you liked to fence using logic and semantics. That is exhausting. But rarely in a bad way.

I’m not playing some sort of game: ‘twisting’ isn’t an allegation I see as positive. Yes I use logic to make my points: I’m hardly going to apologise for that!
    I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that continuity wasn’t part of the films’ ‘formula’ right from the start in 1962?
    No, continuity barely existed back then. I saw YOLT before I ever saw the unseen Blofeld in FRWL or TB. I didn’t feel confused or felt I needed to see the previous films. Those films stood on their own. With the exception of SF, all the Craig films are heavily tied together. And even with SF they screwed the pooch after the fact by trying to jimmy it into the whole Craig Quantum/Spectre saga (i.e. it’s all connected to Bro-feld).

True and a great illustration of the difference between the continuity of the Craig films versus the continuity of the Bond films at large. You can't take any Craig film out of context (except Skyfall) which is wholly unlike any other Bond film in the franchise.
    Come to think of it this may be one improvement over the novels that the films have done, specifically with OHMSS and YOLT. But just typing that, nothing beats the YOLT novel, what a madhouse.
    Absolutely!! Bond loses his wife in OHMSS and they don’t bring this up again until TSWLM (very briefly) and the beginning of FYEO for all of 10 seconds! If those films were done today we’d be hearing about Tracy in DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, and on and on.... Bond would still be getting over her death in each film. What a depressing series of films those would have been!!

Standalone is aways better than serialized. All these popular TV shows these days are so heavily serialized but tell me when was the last time you saw any of them being shown in reruns on your local TV channel showing reruns of older shows? Where’s the SOPRANOS? Where’s LOST? Where’s 24? Nowhere! Because these shows don’t play well in rerun format. People want to sit down and relax and catch one episode of something without having to watch the entire series! When I was growing up I was watching reruns of I LOVE LUCY, ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, HAWAII FIVE-O, MAGNUM PI, COLUMBO, THE A-TEAM, KNIGHT RIDER, etc. Those same shows I watched in reruns 20-30 years ago are still being shown in reruns today! Why? Because it’s an easy watch. Standalone plays better on repeat viewings.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,441
    QPIDtzX.jpg
    Nice what there did with Molery M and ''Death person'' is stil here element.

Proofs Eon stil playing with mirrors, whyle it look like whas mean to be Daniel Craig last one.

dRBGmq0.jpg

Also i spot a Skyfall maintitle moment that look like there give us a closer look, that i haven't seen in trailer with almoost same shot. Mabey it is more of a reference to (what i said i have seen before) Bond home Spectre: Ghost House. In other words: Bond stands in front of miniture of a house.

2F2BqLuQTeK3_jjI63gm1PA1ea4Xmdk6kuy0VL4AWr1fM5ncuE105VkVxTUkJTwKawd8ww9uWVGDiu2_1MnXLYkjZchg8xKMEd-GexVKUNMdkW3sgsL8R4YhjVhtgQnlx-r6QtICaAdGYVdqycRRqHx2w2YHr4AHpiQ5ZhyrKOO_O-ojCwtEp9k
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    M_Balje wrote: »
    QPIDtzX.jpg
    Nice what there did with Molery M and ''Death person'' is stil here element.

Proofs Eon stil playing with mirrors, whyle it look like whas mean to be Daniel Craig last one.

dRBGmq0.jpg

Also i spot a Skyfall maintitle moment that look like there give us a closer look, that i haven't seen in trailer with almoost same shot. Mabey it is more of a reference to (what i said i have seen before) Bond home Spectre: Ghost House. In other words: Bond stands in front of miniture of a house.

2F2BqLuQTeK3_jjI63gm1PA1ea4Xmdk6kuy0VL4AWr1fM5ncuE105VkVxTUkJTwKawd8ww9uWVGDiu2_1MnXLYkjZchg8xKMEd-GexVKUNMdkW3sgsL8R4YhjVhtgQnlx-r6QtICaAdGYVdqycRRqHx2w2YHr4AHpiQ5ZhyrKOO_O-ojCwtEp9k

That is some seriously good sh*t they smoke in Amsterdam.
    @mtm, arguing with you is exhausting, not because you’re wright or wrong, but because you simply enjoy debate by logic and linguistic fencing. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se, sometimes its good fun, but most of the time you’re arguing against people and things that are not antagonist to your aims. Twisting is not always putting into form, sometimes its just twisting.

No need to get personal. I don’t believe in the assertion so I’m putting the case against it. Saying that the Bond films should and have never done something which they clearly have done several times right from the start makes no sense to me: maybe it does to you. You’re welcome to explain why you think they haven’t if you believe the opposite.
    I’m not going to have a go at your character: if you want to have a go at me personally please do so over the PMs, not on the open board. I don’t believe in questioning the person, just the opinion.

Not having a go at you at all. I enjoy reading your comments. I just think that you two were actually in agreement and we’re fighting for semantics.

Yes, Bond films have a formula and they also are always innovative one way or another.

Getting rid of the so called formula entirely and calling that innovation would be idiotic. That doesn’t mean innovation hasn’t been part of the films since the beginning.

And hey, if I said racing against Alain Prost was exhausting, I wouldn’t be criticising him negatively, would I. You could very well take my post as a compliment. I did say you liked to fence using logic and semantics. That is exhausting. But rarely in a bad way.

I’m not playing some sort of game: ‘twisting’ isn’t an allegation I see as positive. Yes I use logic to make my points: I’m hardly going to apologise for that!
    I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that continuity wasn’t part of the films’ ‘formula’ right from the start in 1962?
    No, continuity barely existed back then. I saw YOLT before I ever saw the unseen Blofeld in FRWL or TB. I didn’t feel confused or felt I needed to see the previous films. Those films stood on their own. With the exception of SF, all the Craig films are heavily tied together. And even with SF they screwed the pooch after the fact by trying to jimmy it into the whole Craig Quantum/Spectre saga (i.e. it’s all connected to Bro-feld).

True and a great illustration of the difference between the continuity of the Craig films versus the continuity of the Bond films at large. You can't take any Craig film out of context (except Skyfall) which is wholly unlike any other Bond film in the franchise.
    Come to think of it this may be one improvement over the novels that the films have done, specifically with OHMSS and YOLT. But just typing that, nothing beats the YOLT novel, what a madhouse.
    Absolutely!! Bond loses his wife in OHMSS and they don’t bring this up again until TSWLM (very briefly) and the beginning of FYEO for all of 10 seconds! If those films were done today we’d be hearing about Tracy in DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, and on and on.... Bond would still be getting over her death in each film. What a depressing series of films those would have been!!

Standalone is aways better than serialized. All these popular TV shows these days are so heavily serialized but tell me when was the last time you saw any of them being shown in reruns on your local TV channel showing reruns of older shows? Where’s the SOPRANOS? Where’s LOST? Where’s 24? Nowhere! Because these shows don’t play well in rerun format. People want to sit down and relax and catch one episode of something without having to watch the entire series! When I was growing up I was watching reruns of I LOVE LUCY, ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, HAWAII FIVE-O, MAGNUM PI, COLUMBO, THE A-TEAM, KNIGHT RIDER, etc. Those same shows I watched in reruns 20-30 years ago are still being shown in reruns today! Why? Because it’s an easy watch. Standalone plays better on repeat viewings.

Sorry but saying The Soprano's does not stand up to repeat viewing compared to those other shows you mention means you are either having us on (hopefully) or your opinion is utter tosh and should be ignored at all costs!!
    TFC1 wrote: »

Sorry but saying The Soprano's does not stand up to repeat viewing compared to those other shows you mention means you are either having us on (hopefully) or your opinion is utter tosh and should be ignored at all costs!!

@ringfire211 makes total sense. I love The Sopranos but he is absolutely right.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don’t think he is at all but I get the feeling you’ll just criticise me if I dare to explain why.
    Mallory wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say till we get the next Bernard Lee....Bond might keep on disrespecting M. Funny thing is , Lee was never involved in any field thing...and he was still very good....maybe coz he had a sort of insouciant attitude towards Bond....Lee's M was never concern about what Bond had for Breakfast.

He was never involved in the field but he did travel around.... YOLT, TSWLM and Moonraker spring to mind.

M does pop up overseas quite a few times. He turns up in a plane over Gibraltar in TLD and in Miami in LTK.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,157

I'm sorry, weren't you the guy advocating that I should switch off my tv and not watch it? Now you're using tv reruns as an argument?

@ringfire211 makes total sense.

They rarely do.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I love THE SOPRANOS (as I do 24!), and think he's talking absolute nonsense, as per. The analogy he's using (to compare shows vs films) is ill-advised, for a start.

But I find the first three Craig films to have high repeat value, so I guess that's a key difference here.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,164
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Sure, but even though trailers are played before the main film, the vast majority of consumers does not see them in cinemas but on social media. I would venture to guess that in terms of impact it is far less important to hook a new trailer to a film than to place it on FB, Twitter, iTunes, Instagram and so on. Large sections of the cinemagoing public may not go to see Mulan or Quiet Place 2 in the time before April. Just saying that online distribution of trailers is far more important than, say, 5 years ago.

Of of course online is extremely important but when you're planning a campaign a year in advance and you know the trailer gonna go into cinemas, it's far easier to earmark a film it will be with in cinemas as a rough estimate for when you'd drop it online, than pluck an online date out of thin air. That's why without fail, everyone who releases films in cinemas the traditional way still plans online trailer launches around this.

And you want to also keep momentum going and keep that footage as fresh as possible by getting it out to cinemas around the same time, paired with an appropriate release to maximise impact.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677

I love THE SOPRANOS (as I do 24!), and think he's talking absolute nonsense, as per. The analogy he's using (to compare shows vs films) is ill-advised, for a start.

But I find the first three Craig films to have high repeat value, so I guess that's a key difference here.

I think @ringfire211’s analogy with those two brilliant shows was a misfire and it ended up destroying a very valid argument. But his point was not moot. I too think a narrative contained in itself has more rewatchability. And I believe that continuity is good for trilogies and such, but 25 films with the same continuity the Craig era had, would simply not survive, unless they had plenty of source material or the best writers of each generation behind it all.

All and all, we need better writers because if they want continuity they’ll have to create a valid and well thought up plan. And if they want single endeavours, well, then we need people who understand the source material and are creative and quality artisans.

I don’t think he is at all but I get the feeling you’ll just criticise me if I dare to explain why.

Nah, I’ll probably love reading your post. And I’ll find validity in it, I’m sure. And maybe you’ll even change my opinion.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,441
    Better picture's

nttdhouse.png

ghost-house-spectre.jpg

• edited February 2020 Posts: 646

I don’t know where you live but where I live I have yet to see THE SOPRANOS being shown in reruns. Since it’s not a network show and I don’t have cable maybe that’s why. But I’m willing to bet this show isn’t being rerun on cable either. Which means you probably need to own the series on DVD in order to watch it. A few years ago they tried to show reruns of “24” (a brilliant show that I love!) on one of the network TV channels. Needless to say it wasn’t a success and I haven’t seen it back on TV since. That’s proof that even very popular and critically lauded shows don’t play well when shown in reruns on TV. Shows like these are meant to be binge-watched. Yet MAGNUM PI or I LOVE LUCY are still on in reruns all over the world. You can criticize those shows all you want but there’s a reason they keep being shown. Apparently there’s an audience out there for them.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I think he’s saying you can’t catch a random episode in the middle of Sopranos run and enjoy it out of context the same way you can catch an episode of Knight Rider and enjoy it out of context. Same applies to Breaking Bad (randomly watching S3 E8 in syndication, you wouldn’t have any idea of what was going on) yet Breaking Bad is some of the best television ever made.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Drop all chatter about tv-shows. This is NTTD trailer thread!!!

(Sorry mods, just had too. Damn frustrating with all OT)
  • TFC1 wrote: »

I think he’s saying you can’t catch a random episode in the middle of Sopranos run and enjoy it out of context the same way you can catch an episode of Knight Rider and enjoy it out of context. Same applies to Breaking Bad (randomly watching S3 E8 in syndication, you wouldn’t have any idea of what was going on) yet Breaking Bad is some of the best television ever made.
    Yep, that was precisely my point!!

Contraband wrote: »
    Drop all chatter about tv-shows. This is NTTD trailer thread!!!

It all comes back to whether NTTD works better as a film that connects other films, or as a standalone film... there is no NTTD news so there’s nothing otherwise to discuss...
    "This changes everything"................. Yea, we discover Bond and Blofeld were never foster brothers.

I don’t know where you live but where I live I have yet to see THE SOPRANOS being shown in reruns. Since it’s not a network show and I don’t have cable maybe that’s why. But I’m willing to bet this show isn’t being rerun on cable either. Which means you probably need to own the series on DVD in order to watch it. A few years ago they tried to show reruns of “24” (a brilliant show that I love!) on one of the network TV channels. Needless to say it wasn’t a success and I haven’t seen it back on TV since. That’s proof that even very popular and critically lauded shows don’t play well when shown in reruns on TV. Shows like these are meant to be binge-watched. Yet MAGNUM PI or I LOVE LUCY are still on in reruns all over the world. You can criticize those shows all you want but there’s a reason they keep being shown. Apparently there’s an audience out there for them.

But to bring back this analogy to Bond.....

The Craig films are shown on television all the time. Rarely a weekend goes by without ITV showing them. So I don't think the argument has much merit if you had to apply the same thought process to Bond that you applied to those shows.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526

The Craig films are shown on television all the time. Rarely a weekend goes by without ITV showing them. So I don't think the argument has much merit if you had to apply the same thought process to Bond that you applied to those shows.

The analogy to Bond is that if someone's watching random Bond films on TV, they'll start watching QoS or Spectre and think "Who the hell is Vesper?" "Who is Mr. White?" "Why have they hung a little photo of Javier Bardem up in the ruined MI6 building?"

More than at any other time in the franchise, you need all the Craig Bond films to derive total understanding of some of the Craig Bond films. It's not absolute, you can still enjoy Quantum of Solace and Spectre if they're your two very first Bond films, but again, more than at any other time in the franchise do they depend on information gained from other entries in the franchise. Just like a random episode of the Sopranos or Breaking Bad essentially require you to have seen every single previous episode to derive any enjoyment/understanding of the story at all. @ringfire211 I think this is what you were getting at.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The general audience is made of people who believed Rogue One was a sequel to The Force Awakens and Rey and Jinn Erso were the same characters. They pay so little attention to movies that they barely care or even listen to Blofeld saying "I'm responsible for Vesper's death" (I know it's not the exact line but you get the idea).
    Walecs wrote: »
    The general audience is made of people who believed Rogue One was a sequel to The Force Awakens and Rey and Jinn Erso were the same characters. They pay so little attention to movies that they barely care or even listen to Blofeld saying "I'm responsible for Vesper's death" (I know it's not the exact line but you get the idea).

Hah well there's no helping these people.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    If Craig's Era had originally set out on linking his stories, maybe they would have fared better with the continuity thing....but at times, the whole thing looked forced....coz it wasn't the original plan....if that was the plan....Silva's name might have been mentioned in QoS or Le Chiffre would have had some sort of Stealth conversation with Blofeld in CR....now all of a sudden we had to accept Silva & Greene as SPECTRE agents....we can make a case for Le Chiffre since he worked for SMERSH in the novel....maybe not-too-distant from SPECTRE. Although, Craig's serialized era could still age well.....but I think a return to Standalone Bond films would be better.....so that certain things can't be undermined.....it's coz of this serialized approach, that we are sort of concern about Vesper showing up in any way, shape or form in NTTD....but still...we hope for a good Bond film & it's looking that way so far.

The analogy to Bond is that if someone's watching random Bond films on TV, they'll start watching QoS or Spectre and think "Who the hell is Vesper?" "Who is Mr. White?" "Why have they hung a little photo of Javier Bardem up in the ruined MI6 building?"

More than at any other time in the franchise, you need all the Craig Bond films to derive total understanding of some of the Craig Bond films. It's not absolute, you can still enjoy Quantum of Solace and Spectre if they're your two very first Bond films, but again, more than at any other time in the franchise do they depend on information gained from other entries in the franchise. Just like a random episode of the Sopranos or Breaking Bad essentially require you to have seen every single previous episode to derive any enjoyment/understanding of the story at all. @ringfire211 I think this is what you were getting at.

I think Bond is quite immune to things like this, to be honest. And I still don't think that has any negative effect on whether the films have repeat value or not, which I believe was his original tangent. I'm sure NTTD, as long as it's more in line with CR or SF in quality, will have the same repeat value as those films do. It's fine to not like narrative threads, but to throw things like "they don't have rewatch value" out there because of it, when reality points to the contrary, is a bit daft.

I see the point, I just think it's poorly made.

And I'd rather the producers took some risks and not simply make something that is an "easy watch", personally. But that's just me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

...and while I understand the desire for the Craig-era to have been more 'narratively coherent' lets say, we need to remain aware of the outside influences that each of these films has had. With Quantum of Solace we had the scriptwriter's strike which caused problems throughout the whole production, Skyfall had to deal with MGM's bankruptcy which delayed the film, and the industry had responded so well and had been so influenced by Nolan and The Dark Knight, that it became natural for Skyfall to do what it did. Then Spectre had the script leaks with the pressure of creating a worthy follow-up to Skyfall, and now No Time to Die has had it's own set of problems, and the industry has changed again, so they need to respond, which altogether along with many other things, have created a slightly messy era of the James Bond franchise, but to be honest, I still love it and consider at least half of this era to be some of the best James Bond films we've had...

...and to keep on topic, I do think No Time to Die will be joining those ones I love so much, but we'll see. I hope we get some kind of clip trailer like I suggested the other day :)

I think Bond is quite immune to things like this, to be honest. And I still don't think that has any negative effect on whether the films have repeat value or not, which I believe was his original tangent. I'm sure NTTD, as long as it's more in line with CR or SF in quality, will have the same repeat value as those films do. It's fine to not like narrative threads, but to throw things like "they don't have rewatch value" out there because of it, when reality points to the contrary, is a bit daft.

I see the point, I just think it's poorly made.

And I'd rather the producers took some risks and not simply make something that is an "easy watch", personally. But that's just me.

Very good points, and I too am on the side of taking risks rather than making "easy watches".
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Mallory wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say till we get the next Bernard Lee....Bond might keep on disrespecting M. Funny thing is , Lee was never involved in any field thing...and he was still very good....maybe coz he had a sort of insouciant attitude towards Bond....Lee's M was never concern about what Bond had for Breakfast.
    He was never involved in the field but he did travel around.... YOLT, TSWLM and Moonraker spring to mind.

Bernard Lee's M showed up in Bond's London flat, even.

Regarding Fiennes M and based on Spectre, I don't have any reason to expect "Bond will keep disrespecting" him. That's not what was going on.

More likely is M still venting frustrations on OO7 about outraged chefs and humiliated tailors and such.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,951

That’s not the same thing at all then. With those TV shows you have serials which really won’t make much sense: these a feature films which are easily understandable. If you can’t pick up that Vesper was his late girlfriend then you’re going to have trouble working out that the little old lady is his boss! :)

Has anybody on here actually had any trouble understanding a Bond film because some of its story elements come from the film before? If not then this is just all hypothetical and not actually a real concern.