No Time To Die - Safin's Plot (Spoilers!)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »

Convincing video that Rami Malek is indeed Dr. No.

It also makes some sense that Craig's final film in his continuity ends with Dr No - who of course was the first villain in the original continuity. It feels very akin to Eon's previous thinking on the Craig era....don't you think.

I said exactly the same thing yesterday. Would be cool. Anyway @antovolk yesterday theorized a similar explanation: Dr. Julius Safin, nicknamed Dr. No. This nickname would make sense since his obsession with No masks.

Although do we know if the new 007 has any qualifications? A PHD perhaps? So she can be Dr No(mi)...
    :)
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Another good video...

I'm starting to think all the connections can't be a coincidence.

Also, it has to be noted that Joesph Wiseman and Rami Malek certainly look very similar. I saw this picture on Twitter and at first thought it was Malek...

EPJq5LxU0AAl42P?format=jpg&name=large
  • NectouxNectoux São Paulo, Brazil
    antovolk wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    and the way the latest leaked script had it was actually kinda brilliant...

What was it like?
    mtm wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Now Malek says that the villain wants to save the world and has found some kind of answer to one of the biggest problems. Isn't one of the biggest problems climate change?

Not according to a certain member on these boards. I wonder how they're gonna react when they've seen the movie :))

But seriously though, climate change is world's biggest problem right now and Malek dealing with it has been rumored for a while. It would also be a nice nod to Quantum of Solace.

Other users have speculated that Malek is dealing with cloning and the biggest problem would be death but I'm more inclined toward the former - if anything because if I were to describe death I would call it the most ancient problem rather than the biggest.

Would Eon risk bad publicity from depicting a climate change activist as a baddie? I tend to think they might steer clear of that: they don’t tend to get too political and that subject has been very politicised recently.

Good point

It had Oberhauser give the same monologue about Bond being the cuckoo in the nest...only for Bond to the counter that with - *you* were actually adopted too, and your real name is Ernst Blofeld.

The context of the scene was different though, in the final film there was that torture scene, while in that specific draft it’s a poker game, where Bond does that comeback before going all in.

I now wish I hadn't read that cause it's so much better to subvert the moment and making Bond not only revealing his original name but also that they're equal as adopted kids. Even more as a poker match! Damn...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Denbigh wrote: »
    When was Nomi in Matera? @duke_togo

Lashana was filming on a rocky shore by the ocean. However, it wasn't for the Matera scenes, but actually the finale in Norway.

Lea Seydoux was there as well - Cary was wearing A Clockwork Orange t-shirt.

So............does the plot involve both genetic engineering AND climate change? It's clear that Malek is playing God, but he's also growing algae.

Yep. The light rods in the water are doing just that through "Light Immersion Technology."

https://www.cnet.com/news/bionavitas-speeds-algae-growth-with-light-rods/

So the question, of course, becomes why. Soime forms of algae growth can destroy ecosystems and have a distastrous effect on the environment. But it is also viewed as a source of biofuels and a sustainable food source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferhicks/2018/06/15/see-how-algae-could-change-our-world/#3fe794f63e46

If I had to guess, Safin's "plot" is to destroy food supplies and ecosystems so that he has the only means by which to feed and power the world. Hence, Bond's "God" comment. This is sort of like Goldfinger, blowing up Fort Knox, to make his own gold more valuable.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Very possible, @TripAces.

And recalling other villainy.
    Blofeld: Total infertility. In plants and animals. Not just disease in a few herds, Mr Bond, or the loss of a single crop. But the destruction of a whole strain for ever, throughout an entire continent. Blofeld: If my demands are not met, l´II proceed with the extinction... of whole species of cereals and livestock all over the world.

OO7: Including, I suppose, the human race.

Blofeld: I don´t think, do you, Mr Bond... the UN will let it come to that. Not after their scientists analyse a sample of virus omega they have received. Epidemics of sterility. Nothing is born. No seed even begins to sprout.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Malek looks more like kronsteen than Dr No imo
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQpwqklrqcO4hy0AW1O8h6pK_6LxoIec5y8BPg0d1W5jL98MNkX
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRQEKqiGuF-7u0Inr5-D1uK_MoJDDLx6hnbeblzWCMZtU21KAlS
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess we're forgetting about the possible biological warfare plot with the scientist and all that. Could the algae perhaps be culturing some sort of toxin? Are all of the people working in that chamber in the water wearing protective gear?
  • With all the information given, no matter how much I think about it, I always come up wit what is essentially the transhumanism from Dan Brown's Inferno novel.
    - Genetic warfare
    - Safin thinks he found the solution for one of the biggest problems
    - "men who play god"
    - the Spectre party where apparently only some people are affected by an attack

What if Safin has stolen plans for genetic viruses - or something that can be used as such.

In fact, he and Blofeld/Spectre could be opponents here.
    Spectre wants it a weapon to be sold to evil parties, while Safin wants it to extinguish parts of manking to "save the rest"

I think this makes very much sense as a Bond plot, fits to what we know, and is not too close to reality such as topics like global warming
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,834
    In a mission in the Hitman video game, Agent 47 is required to destroy a virus and assassinate those who created it that is described as this:

"a DNA-specific virus able to infect anyone, anywhere in the world. Imagine a bullet fired in any direction, passing through countless bodies without inflicting harm, invisible and undetectable, until it strikes its target. A world of armchair assassins killing with impunity."

Maybe No TIme to Die won't be too dissimilar to this.

Also with that party scene I also wonder what happens to Paloma? Is she affected by the gas?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Lynch was on a rocky shore interesting do we have a picture was she still wearing her commando getup?
    TripAces wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    When was Nomi in Matera? @duke_togo

Lashana was filming on a rocky shore by the ocean. However, it wasn't for the Matera scenes, but actually the finale in Norway.

Lea Seydoux was there as well - Cary was wearing A Clockwork Orange t-shirt.

So............does the plot involve both genetic engineering AND climate change? It's clear that Malek is playing God, but he's also growing algae.

Yep. The light rods in the water are doing just that through "Light Immersion Technology."

https://www.cnet.com/news/bionavitas-speeds-algae-growth-with-light-rods/

So the question, of course, becomes why. Soime forms of algae growth can destroy ecosystems and have a distastrous effect on the environment. But it is also viewed as a source of biofuels and a sustainable food source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferhicks/2018/06/15/see-how-algae-could-change-our-world/#3fe794f63e46

If I had to guess, Safin's "plot" is to destroy food supplies and ecosystems so that he has the only means by which to feed and power the world. Hence, Bond's "God" comment. This is sort of like Goldfinger, blowing up Fort Knox, to make his own gold more valuable.

If that's the case I might not be far off the mark speculating that Safin might want to harvest in the ocean. I can think of the benefits... But also the environmental dangers.

Regarding Cary wearing A Clockwork Orange t-shirt. Might it be because he's a fan of the movie?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks like this could be the one where Craig gets to save the world, like all the others minus Dalton.
    Looks like this could be the one where Craig gets to save the world, like all the others minus Dalton.

Whatever anyone thinks of SP or its execution, he pretty much did save the world in it. It may not have been stressed enough in the film and how feasible it is is highly debatable, but SPECTRE controlling the secret services of so many countries would have been catastrophic to the free world.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Whatever anyone thinks of SP or its execution, he pretty much did save the world in it. It may not have been stressed enough in the film and how feasible it is is highly debatable, but SPECTRE controlling the secret services of so many countries would have been catastrophic to the free world.

I am probably one of SPs biggest fans for all sorts of reasons. But to say that Bond saved the world in that movie is as far-fetched as it gets.
    1) The world wasnt really in danger. Whatever Blofeld's plan was, it was more about making money than destroying the world
    2) Even that plan wasnt stopped by Bond but rather by M and Q.

Frankly speaking, just like in SF, Bond didnt achieve much in SP :-)

I guess we all know what "saving the world" in a Bond film means and SP did not even try to build that kind of scenario.

I truly hope (and feel) that NTTD will have such a scenario

Well, a criminal organisation controlling directly or indirectly major intelligence and counterintelligence networks will have major negative impacts over the world. Only one step below a John Iselin as president of the United States I'd say. Sure, it's not as obvious as a giant lazer, but still. And Bond in SP acts and contributes at least as much to the demise of Nine Eyes as he does ruining Grand Slam in GF.

That said, I do agree that it will be a more obvious threat in NTTD.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Well, a criminal organisation controlling directly or indirectly major intelligence and counterintelligence networks will have major negative impacts over the world.

You mean it would differ from how it is now?

How?
  • I greatly look forward to a more science-oriented plot that has little to do with internal drama at MI6 or any other intelligence agency. The villain's plot of Spectre was certainly current at the time but unfortunately by now feels staid and underwhelming given the real-life rise of surveillance capitalism whose potential trumps anything Blofeld had in mind.
    Well, a criminal organisation controlling directly or indirectly major intelligence and counterintelligence networks will have major negative impacts over the world.

How?

Call me naive, but last time I checked we still lived in a democracy with the rule of law. Yes there's corruption, but also organisations and menacisms to fight them. There's a reason why Denbigh had that monologue to M about democracy : ultimately it is what he intended to destroy.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

How?

Call me naive, but last time I checked we still lived in a democracy with the rule of law. Yes there's corruption, but also organisations and menacisms to fight them. There's a reason why Denbigh had that monologue to M about democracy : ultimately it is what he intended to destroy.

Democracy means nothing if most people are brainwashed by the government.
    Of course, intelligence services don t kill people or commit other heinous crimes. I must have seen too many movies.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond's world, @Thunderfinger! He saved his world, not our own.

Of course if OO7 could only save us all...

Bond's world, @Thunderfinger! He saved his world, not our own.

Of course if OO7 could only save us all...

Good point.
    Safin wants to sell off the NHS to American pharmaceutical vultures.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited January 2020 Posts: 138
    deleted
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited January 2020 Posts: 138
    "Her father is Mr. White," Fukunaga explains in an Empire interview. "Mr. White was key in the deal that saved Bond's life with Vesper Lynd, so... there's stuff to mine there." Maybe Vesper was also his daughter but he hide it to Bond, and then Bond discovered it and he felt that he was betrayed by Swann.

Something happens that really shakes bonds trust in madeline. But it’s not enough of a threat for him to care and subsequently disappear to Jamaica for 5 years.

He probably just suspects she works for Spectre and He has paranoia similar to what happened with vesper.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Something happens that really shakes bonds trust in madeline. But it’s not enough of a threat for him to care and subsequently disappear to Jamaica for 5 years.

it's probably the threat he thinks he's bringing to Maddy, and Maddy is bringing to him, that he leaves her at the train station and disappears under the grid...
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Lynch was on a rocky shore interesting do we have a picture was she still wearing her commando getup?

@007Blofeld Here you go. Pics taken near the small italian town of Maratea, Italy. Picture with the rib boat has both Swann and Lynch in it. They also shot the rib boat on much deeper water.

O80koM8.jpg
    rZY16AM.jpg
    iMi1VdF.jpg
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Contraband wrote: »

@007Blofeld Here you go. Pics taken near the small italian town of Maratea, Italy. Picture with the rib boat has both Swann and Lynch in it. They also shot the rib boat on much deeper water.

O80koM8.jpg
    rZY16AM.jpg
    iMi1VdF.jpg

Just noticed that the girl having a giggle with Lashana, is holding Bond’s Naval Npeal.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,126
    DCisared wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

O80koM8.jpg
    rZY16AM.jpg
    iMi1VdF.jpg

Just noticed that the girl having a giggle with Lashana, is holding Bond’s Naval Npeal.

Hmm I wonder where this takes place? Is that guy on the raft Bond or an extra and is maddy have on a coat?