James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I would be surprised if the blu-ray was not already based off a 4K transfer.

Can't believe it's been over a decade now since that blu-ray was released. Still looks great.

I think it is if I remember rightly.
  • Sorry if this has been mentioned, but will we get NTTD in 4k upon blu-ray release. That seems to be the trend now. I don't remember 4k being a big deal when SP was released. Also, not sure what forum this belongs on, but any chance we could be seeing more steelbooks around the release of NTTD like they did with SP?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    I think it’s extremely likely NTTD will get a UHD release on disc. It was only brand new at the time SP came out m, and now that the other Craig films got released on the format it’s a sure thing.
    Definitely.
  • There's a much quicker turnaround after a film is released that they are printed to disc. We should have 4K/blurays by end of July or August.
    I’ve been slowly archiving the screencaps taken last Fall on this blog I’ve made so there will be easier access to seeing comparisons. I’ve added additional screencaps on some films that weren’t previously there like the main titles. Only up to YOLT at the moment, but slowly adding the remaining films.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
    Brilliant work @MakeshiftPython. A National Treasure.
    Well it's a good thing I've saved the screencaps for archiving, because Photobucket seems to have crashed. I'm only up to DAF on the blog so far, but it'll all be up there.

Which brings me to a bit of news: I finally found a copy of a widescreen LD for TMWTGG, which I’ll post on the home video blog for comparisons. Most curious thing happened as I began to play for screen capping: the opening dots are NOT blue. On the SE DVD (and from memory the 2000 VHS) the opening dots were colored blue, whereas starting with the UE DVD they became white. I assumed Binder wanted to start tweaking more with the gun barrel sequence with different colors before deciding to stick with white from TSWLM on. Now seeing this LD copy with white dots, I wonder if the later VHS and SE DVDs were in error?

@ToTheRight wondering if you can recall a 35mm print featuring blue dots or not.
    Well it's a good thing I've saved the screencaps for archiving, because Photobucket seems to have crashed. I'm only up to DAF on the blog so far, but it'll all be up there.

Which brings me to a bit of news: I finally found a copy of a widescreen LD for TMWTGG, which I’ll post on the home video blog for comparisons. Most curious thing happened as I began to play for screen capping: the opening dots are NOT blue. On the SE DVD (and from memory the 2000 VHS) the opening dots were colored blue, whereas starting with the UE DVD they became white. I assumed Binder wanted to start tweaking more with the gun barrel sequence with different colors before deciding to stick with white from TSWLM on. Now seeing this LD copy with white dots, I wonder if the later VHS and SE DVDs were in error?

@ToTheRight wondering if you can recall a 35mm print featuring blue dots or not.

@MakeshiftPython, unfortunately, TMWTGG is the only Bond film I've never seen on the big screen.
    Funny thing, the first time I saw the film was on the old CBS/Fox VHS edition and it definitely had bluish dots. On my television set a t the time it looked a bit bluish/violet in hue. I think it was the way my Dad had the set adjusted.

That VHS edition was missing some of John Barry's score, during the section where Bond arrives at Hi Fat's for dinner and is attacked by the wrestlers.
    I do recall another VHS copy having white dots. Perhaps either the 1989 MGM/UA version, or the 1992 remastered edition. Not sure which one at the moment.
  • Covers revealed for the 4K editions of the Craig Bond films:

t7zp2oovpda41.jpg

wjzdsuxxpda41.jpg

n2jxbyk1qda41.jpg

3jzgnwr4qda41.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some pretty awful covers, in my opinion. Didn't even care for the CR or QoS upgrade (blu-ray edition is so much better) but I might have to pick up the one for SF.
  • Hopefully we get some decent bonus features on the SP one in particular.
  • Man, I thought the 4K steelbooks looked lazy, but somehow these look even worse to me... Something about the screencap - looking lazy Photoshop backgrounds.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Hopefully we get some decent bonus features on the SP one in particular.

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh. Bonus features?! What are those?!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't expect any more 'features' than there were on the original disks. They won't get Mendes in a booth to record a commentary track.
    If we get more features down the line, I think it'll be included in the (inevitable) new box set with "24 films and room for No Time To Die", and not with individual disks. And I'll bet you won't see bonus features on individual films either, but things in the form of retrospectives like 'The Story So Far' and Purvis and Wade's rundown on the Spectre organisation.
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh. Bonus features?! What are those?!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't expect any more 'features' than there were on the original disks. They won't get Mendes in a booth to record a commentary track.
    If we get more features down the line, I think it'll be included in the (inevitable) new box set with "24 films and room for No Time To Die", and not with individual disks. And I'll bet you won't see bonus features on individual films either, but things in the form of retrospectives like 'The Story So Far' and Purvis and Wade's rundown on the Spectre organisation.
    It's a sad reality isn't it. My only solace is that it isn't just Bond fans who are suffering but movie fans in general. I was extremely disappointed to see the lack of quality extras on my Avengers: Endgame blu-ray, only to find more extras on Disney+. I think we have to deal with the realization that bonus features are a thing of the past.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've got the 4K Craig set so that is a pass for me.

I buy physical formats for the content what I hear and see and while it is nice for the packaging to be special I'm certainly not going to buy it multiple times for the packaging.

As for the original 20, I'm definitely getting OHMSS 4K and will assess how the others turn out and go from there, possibly FRWL and some others. Though they'll be when they discounted or if I can get them pre-owned from CEX or the like.

I'm certainly not shelling out on a 4K complete set I know that, the same way I'm not paying out for that Skywalker saga 4K set, I'll wait for the OT to be available separately.

I have no desire to see the PT be it any format definition etc and as for the ST, no real rush. I liked TFA and definitely TLJ is my favourite, TROS is definitely the worst of the bunch so possibly wait till it is on offer when they release is as a trilogy set.

I've watched both CR which I noted a noticeable but not a revolutionary increase in PQ.

QOS again not as much but still happy. I've not watched SF just peaked at it as I was going to the In Concert performance.

I intend to watch SP before I go to see NTTD, I know it is noted this one is by many as the best for PQ but due to my feelings on the film I won't savouring the experience like I do the others.

NTTD I imagine will be day one 4K.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »

It's just a port of what the existing 4K set already contains, which is nothing new.
    We know for a fact that a commentary by Marc Forster was recorded for a cancelled collector's edition for QOS. Why it still collects dust to this day is a mystery.
    We know for a fact that a commentary by Marc Forster was recorded for a cancelled collector's edition for QOS. Why it still collects dust to this day is a mystery.

I've said it a few dozen times now, but I'd pay any amount for a QoS Collector's/Ultimate Edition, with commentary, all of the deleted scenes/the alternate ending, etc.
    Finally got the widescreen LD caps for TMWTGG to compare to all other formats. Seeing the formats all across, something really went off with the SE DVD. Some kind of color boosting and black crushing. The remasters after definitely fixed that, though the colors are not quite as saturated as the LD.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-man-with-golden-gun-1974.html
    Finally got the widescreen LD caps for TMWTGG to compare to all other formats. Seeing the formats all across, something really went off with the SE DVD. Some kind of color boosting and black crushing. The remasters after definitely fixed that, though the colors are not quite as saturated as the LD.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-man-with-golden-gun-1974.html

Those are great screencaps. The SE DVD is definitely the most saturated. Cool 007 Home Media page as well.
  • Some very good news for Apple 4K TV users.
    I noticed a week ago that all the Craig films were not only in 4K(which they have been for some time), but now they’re also in Dolby Vision(HDR)! And just today, the other 20 films are also now in Dolby Vision!
    If you have an Apple 4K TV box and and a 4K HDR TV, the results are spectacular- especially the first 10 films(brighter, deeper colors)!
    Check it out!!
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 114
    I don't know if anyone on the forum owns one (I don't) but every Bond film just got released on the Kaleidescape a few days ago in 4K UHD, unfortunatetly there is still no HDR for the first 20 films, however, this is still a very significant release because all the films are downloads that are in the 60-80+ GB range meaning that they have around the same quality you would get from a 4K Blu-Ray disc.
    sRB1wmZ.jpg
  • Big_GeeBig_Gee Wales
    Amazon shows the SPECTRE Blu-Ray has 2 discs but does not indicate what is on the second disc. Has anyone got the 2 Disc version and if so, are they new extras or just the same ones' as on the single disc DVD ?
    Big_Gee wrote: »
    Amazon shows the SPECTRE Blu-Ray has 2 discs but does not indicate what is on the second disc. Has anyone got the 2 Disc version and if so, are they new extras or just the same ones' as on the single disc DVD ?
    I saw that too. I'm wondering if it's just the 4k and blu ray discs, but I am hopeful it is some new extras with hopefully a director's commentary!
    It’s just the 4K and Blu-ray Discs. It’s the same exact ones from the 4K Craig collection.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    I wrote a lengthy response here, then right before I posted realized that I was describing the Bonus Disc that is included with the 2nd Bond Blu Ray Boxed set that was released in conjunction of SP.
    I might pick up the 4K release of SF eventually - the quality on that one is stunning - but I have no use for the others. I almost never rewatch SP and I heavily prefer the blu-ray versions of CR and QoS.