James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

I wasn't going to do a CR comparison like for other films, but then I remembered something: Not only was the film shot in Super35, but it even had a "full screen" DVD release. Bond films 1-20 would be heavily cropped through "Pan and Scan" in order to fit on a 4:3 TV. However, CR was shot in the Super35 process, which meant that the home video release could actually add extra information on the top and bottom of the image. Many movies shot in Super35 got this treatment on home video like TOP GUN. Instead of losing image, you get more of it.

However, looking at the CR full screen disc, it appears the extra information on top and bottom only happens for very certain shots rather than the whole movie. The shot with Bond and Dryden sitting far apart may have been opened up, but the close ups of the two have no extra information on top and bottom. It's similar with the scene with Bond and Vesper on the train. Even the title sequence isn't completely opened up throughout, as you can see the extra info below Bond's right foot. So the image really only opens up when important parts of the image are far too apart like Bond and Dryden. I've only really scratched the surface, so I don't know how much of the "full screen" DVD has the image opened up. So far it doesn't look like too much was.

That said, even though QOS was also shot in Super35, it did not have a "full screen" release. CR's came around when 4:3 TV sets had just laid on their death bed. I think THE DARK KNIGHT was one of the last films to get a "full screen" release (which shows the full IMAX aspect ratio I think).

2007 Sony Full Screen DVD
    Y3Q4Kt5.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    2viVeEt.jpg

uVIkBRD.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    moerqw3.jpg

QcAoxkr.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    jwDkZH1.jpg

Le8Hsid.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    tqmOikr.jpg

Kubrick and Hitchcock shot in this way. Kubrick did it for TV so that at least his films could be presented in some kind of acceptable way when they made their way to TV. Having said that there is a lot of contention over some of his films to which was the intended or preferable aspect ratio. The Shining in open matte 4:3 is a very different film to watching it in 1.85:1 masked.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It was a pretty good way to combat the pan and scan process for home video. Had Kubrick been around in time for the boom of 16:9 TVs I’m 100% certain he would have had the home video transfers of THE SHINING and other films framed at its OAR.
    It was a pretty good way to combat the pan and scan process for home video. Had Kubrick been around in time for the boom of 16:9 TVs I’m 100% certain he would have had the home video transfers of THE SHINING and other films framed at its OAR.

This is an interesting article on Kubrick's aspect ratios.

https://www.alternateending.com/blog/kubrick-and-his-ratios
  • alphabetagagaalphabetagaga Hitchin, UK
    hi guys has anyone here had any experiences with german blu-ray releases on the individual bond titles? the specs look the same as do the extra features which is all good. wondering how the actual packaging compares to the uk equivalent releases?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-Blu-ray/61669/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-Blu-ray/142078/

i've bought many german release blus and the packaging on those tends to be of a higher quality vs the uk/usa equivalents
  • kuifje_007kuifje_007 Belgium
    Any news about the boxset of James Bond in 4K?
    MGM needs a home video distributor, as the one with Fox just expired on June. So far there isn’t one, but it’ll have to be news about it soon because not only will they need a distributor that put out a 4K release of the classic films but also for NTTD.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/mgm-ditches-fox-as-their-home-entertainment-partner-200604
    Having a full box set for every film from the Connery to Craig era will be super satisfying, so I am patiently waiting on that to happen after NTTD comes out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At this rate, I'd imagine it'll arrive when NTTD releases on DVD/blu-ray/4K. If they were timing it alongside the release of NTTD in theaters, it surely would've been announced in March/April, so that's the next best guess.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I wasn't going to do a CR comparison like for other films, but then I remembered something: Not only was the film shot in Super35, but it even had a "full screen" DVD release. Bond films 1-20 would be heavily cropped through "Pan and Scan" in order to fit on a 4:3 TV. However, CR was shot in the Super35 process, which meant that the home video release could actually add extra information on the top and bottom of the image. Many movies shot in Super35 got this treatment on home video like TOP GUN. Instead of losing image, you get more of it.

However, looking at the CR full screen disc, it appears the extra information on top and bottom only happens for very certain shots rather than the whole movie. The shot with Bond and Dryden sitting far apart may have been opened up, but the close ups of the two have no extra information on top and bottom. It's similar with the scene with Bond and Vesper on the train. Even the title sequence isn't completely opened up throughout, as you can see the extra info below Bond's right foot. So the image really only opens up when important parts of the image are far too apart like Bond and Dryden. I've only really scratched the surface, so I don't know how much of the "full screen" DVD has the image opened up. So far it doesn't look like too much was.

That said, even though QOS was also shot in Super35, it did not have a "full screen" release. CR's came around when 4:3 TV sets had just laid on their death bed. I think THE DARK KNIGHT was one of the last films to get a "full screen" release (which shows the full IMAX aspect ratio I think).

Y3Q4Kt5.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    2viVeEt.jpg

uVIkBRD.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    moerqw3.jpg

QcAoxkr.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    jwDkZH1.jpg

Le8Hsid.png

2007 Sony Blu-ray
    tqmOikr.jpg

Well, dang. I gave away my DVD of it.
    I just updated my YOLT blog entry to include screencaps of the Ultimate Edition DVD. I forgot how much duller it was! Interesting to see the sunrise shot with the boats having the warmer look, much like the SE, rather than the more natural bluish look in the LaserDisc and Blu-ray/4K shots.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2019/12/you-only-live-twice.html
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,272
    General question re. the Bond iTunes releases. I don't own a 4K TV/Apple TV, so when I download the films, they're in Blu-ray quality. But are the iTunes releases the same at the Blu-ray box set releases, or are there any differences? I'm thinking colour in particular.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just updated my YOLT blog entry to include screencaps of the Ultimate Edition DVD. I forgot how much duller it was! Interesting to see the sunrise shot with the boats having the warmer look, much like the SE, rather than the more natural bluish look in the LaserDisc and Blu-ray/4K shots.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2019/12/you-only-live-twice.html

The differences are staggering.
    General question re. the Bond iTunes releases. I don't own a 4K TV/Apple TV, so when I download the films, they're in Blu-ray quality. But are the iTunes releases the same at the Blu-ray box set releases, or are there any differences? I'm thinking colour in particular.

The iTunes downloads will resemble the colors of the 4K version instead of the blu-ray. For example years ago I downloaded a copy of Jaws which had the same coloring as the blu-ray. Universal has just released a remastered 4K disc, thus the iTunes version was upgraded based on the 4K version. Because of that, I deleted the download file of the movie on my computer so I could download the newer file based on the 4K. Here's a comparison of the coloring of Jaws between DVD, blu-ray, and 4K.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_126/jaws_4K_UHD_blu-ray.htm
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.

The iTunes downloads will resemble the colors of the 4K version instead of the blu-ray. For example years ago I downloaded a copy of Jaws which had the same coloring as the blu-ray. Universal has just released a remastered 4K disc, thus the iTunes version was upgraded based on the 4K version. Because of that, I deleted the download file of the movie on my computer so I could download the newer file based on the 4K. Here's a comparison of the coloring of Jaws between DVD, blu-ray, and 4K.

That 4K version of Jaws looks really incredible!

I hope there will be a deluxe 4k bluray collection of the Bondfilms. With the EON docu added en maybe a couple of the old BBC interviews and that long TSWLM docu.

Thanks, @MakeshiftPython – that's very interesting (those Jaws 4K screenshots look great!). From screenshots I've seen here and elsewhere, I find the colours in the 4K iTunes releases of the Bond films more pleasing to look at than the Blu-ray releases. Even though the picture quality won't be 4K, having a digital copy with matching colours will be a better option for me, than to look at buying a Blu-ray collection.
    Only downside is that the iTunes versions don’t have the original sound mixes. I’m sure 4K discs will include them when they’re released.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Can anybody post screenshots of the CR 4K?
    Someone already did a few pages back around Fall.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,272
    Only downside is that the iTunes versions don’t have the original sound mixes. I’m sure 4K discs will include them when they’re released.

Thanks, didn't know that! 4K is out of the question for me yet, but if a 4K collection of all the films (with original sound mixes preferably) hits the market at some point, I might have to give it another thought.
    I just updated my entry for DR. NO just include one new screencap that I shouldn't have overlooked the last time. It's the scene with Bond, Leiter, and Quarrel heading for Crab Key on boat. It was shot day for night, so there was always some kind of filter applied from the beginning but we see it vary with each release. Curiously, Lowry didn't really do anything all that different from what MGM's SE DVD did anyway. It's practically the same, aside from MGM's cropping. Unfortunately something went wrong with the 4K transfer because now there's just a ton of black crush. You can't even read the lettering on the boat anymore. I would HOPE that when MGM puts these on 4K discs that they could fix mistakes like this. Having examined all these video releases, they do from time to time actually address these kind of errors. Whether it happens on 4K disc we'll not know until they put something out there.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2019/10/home-media-comparisons-of-dr-no-1962.html

I was originally going to start adding UE DVD caps for this, but the caps I've taken are exactly like the blu-ray. There's virtually no difference between the two other than an improvement in resolution, whereas YOLT which looked very different between UE DVD and the Blu-ray in coloring. For something like that, I'm gonna start doing caps on DAF pretty soon because the UE DVD for that film was just as different from the blu-ray as YOLT's was.

Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 - ugh!

Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 - ugh!
    I just updated my entry for DR. NO just include one new screencap that I shouldn't have overlooked the last time. It's the scene with Bond, Leiter, and Quarrel heading for Crab Key on boat. It was shot day for night, so there was always some kind of filter applied from the beginning but we see it vary with each release. Curiously, Lowry didn't really do anything all that different from what MGM's SE DVD did anyway. It's practically the same, aside from MGM's cropping. Unfortunately something went wrong with the 4K transfer because now there's just a ton of black crush. You can't even read the lettering on the boat anymore. I would HOPE that when MGM puts these on 4K discs that they could fix mistakes like this. Having examined all these video releases, they do from time to time actually address these kind of errors. Whether it happens on 4K disc we'll not know until they put something out there.

https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/2019/10/home-media-comparisons-of-dr-no-1962.html

I was originally going to start adding UE DVD caps for this, but the caps I've taken are exactly like the blu-ray. There's virtually no difference between the two other than an improvement in resolution, whereas YOLT which looked very different between UE DVD and the Blu-ray in coloring. For something like that, I'm gonna start doing caps on DAF pretty soon because the UE DVD for that film was just as different from the blu-ray as YOLT's was.

Love your website, BTW.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Having a full box set for every film from the Connery to Craig era will be super satisfying, so I am patiently waiting on that to happen after NTTD comes out.

I agree. I was pretty happy with how complete the Bond 50 set felt - that is, to have fifty years of Bond in one box. The next best feeling will be to upgrade to 4K and have from Connery to Craig all together. Then I will likely just switch to stand alone releases for subsequent films.

Then again, I tell myself after every Bond box set that this will be the last one I buy.
    Ryan wrote: »

I agree. I was pretty happy with how complete the Bond 50 set felt - that is, to have fifty years of Bond in one box. The next best feeling will be to upgrade to 4K and have from Connery to Craig all together. Then I will likely just switch to stand alone releases for subsequent films.

Then again, I tell myself after every Bond box set that this will be the last one I buy.

In this case, it would be the last set I ever buy. The Bond 50 set was great, but it had one flaw: It didn't feature Craig's complete run. So if a 4K set comes out with every film from DN to NTTD, that would pretty much be it for me. I would never feel the need for another Bond film set after that. When a new actor gets his run, I would only buy the individual films to stand alongside the boxed set.

The closest that ever happened was with the UE DVDs, which all had complete films with Craig's predecessors, but were split into four box sets and not even in chronological order. The Bond 50 set was at least unique for its time because it included every Bond film up to that point.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 2,436

In this case, it would be the last set I ever buy. The Bond 50 set was great, but it had one flaw: It didn't feature Craig's complete run. So if a 4K set comes out with every film from DN to NTTD, that would pretty much be it for me. I would never feel the need for another Bond film set after that. When a new actor gets his run, I would only buy the individual films to stand alongside the boxed set.

The closest that ever happened was with the UE DVDs, which all had complete films with Craig's predecessors, but were split into four box sets and not even in chronological order. The Bond 50 set was at least unique for its time because it included every Bond film up to that point.

The Bond 50 set had one flaw? Issues with colour timing, a few of the titles sequences were distorted (if you look at Moonraker the moon has become some weird oval shape), some strange added sound effects on 5.1 remixes (they completely ruined the sound mix in OHMSS for the Gumbold Safe Cracking scene), not all the films had their original soundtrack included - this set was far from a definitive collection.

The Bond 50 set had one flaw? Issues with colour timing, a few of the titles sequences were distorted (if you look at Moonraker the moon has become some weird oval shape), some strange added sound effects on 5.1 remixes (they completely ruined the sound mix in OHMSS for the Gumbold Safe Cracking scene), not all the films had their original soundtrack included - this set was far from a definitive collection.

I was only speaking in terms of having all films in one bundle, and in the case of the Bond 50 set it had an incomplete Craig run. All the flaws you point out go without saying, because there's been issues with every home video release. I doubt we'll ever get THE definitive set that fixes every flaw.

On the last point, the blu-rays, at least in North America, have retained all the original sound mixes as optional. It was the UE DVDs that were missing sound mixes, due to the limited amount of space being taken up by film commentaries, notably LALD and TSWLM.
  • Ryan wrote: »

I was only speaking in terms of having all films in one bundle, and in the case of the Bond 50 set it had an incomplete Craig run. All the flaws you point out go without saying, because there's been issues with every home video release. I doubt we'll ever get THE definitive set that fixes every flaw.

On the last point, the blu-rays, at least in North America, have retained all the original sound mixes as optional. It was the UE DVDs that were missing sound mixes, due to the limited amount of space being taken up by film commentaries, notably LALD and TSWLM.

The UK Bond 50 Bond blu-ray set certainly does not have all the original mixes.
    At this point, they would really have to come up with something completely knockout for me to convert to 4k: unbelievable presentations and features available nowhere before. It seems like most of the 4k reviews I've seen just replicate a Blu disc with previous features or a couple minor additions. Kind of like the lame bonus disc on the Bond 50 Blu set.

I'm one of those fans who went from various versions of the VHS to converting to DVD because of the features and upgraded presentation to films then to UEs, which took it up a notch to Blu, taking it up another notch. I can justify spending my money on each at the time and won't for 4k.

I'd really shudder to think the price of a complete 4k set would come to. I think Blu is my limit for now. To think one day 4k could be replaced by the next generation format another decade down the road would also make it expendable. Then again, physical media could also be dead by then anyway for all streaming anyway, so who knows?