No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited January 2020 Posts: 6,673
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Univex , I’m trying to be optimistic, but you did hit on pretty much every inner niggle that I’m harboring.

If...

- Bond were on a solo mission with a cracking narrative and brilliant dialogue;
    - There were no other Mi6 players other than M and maybe a quick stop by the Q branch;
    - Bond was his flirty confident self, with style and panache, even if he bleed and hurt throughout;
    - The cinematography conveyed escapism as well as quality;
    - The song was a smash bang with horns and brass and a round full voice;
    - There were no more constant mistakes, trust issues, and angst from our man Bond

I'd be all over it, trust me. Positivism wouldn't be an effort, I guarantee it. I know some fans want to break the formula, bring caos into the system as one said the other day, but I surely don't. I'm a true believer that in these slightly dark times, an escapist adventure not unlike the first 4 from the 60's would do nicely with today's audiences. Are Connery's films slapstick? Would a film like that be slapstick today? I think not. All we need is a cracking new narrative. Just look at those scenes we all loved from The Night Manager (not the all thing of course). And those stylish moments from U.N.C.L.E. (not the all thing of course). It could work today.

My hope is that Bond26 will veer into that domain again, whilst still maintaining the brilliant quality brought by the Craig era. Also, that's why I don't want Nolan (who is one of my favourite directors) near a Bond flick. He'd bring another age of darkness and angst, and plot twists involving betrayals. Damn it, even Shakespeare would know by now to insert a dog in the play to get some laughs out of the audience. It's been too serious for too long. And it shouldn't be funny. I'm not advocating for funny. I'm advocating for fun. FUN not FUNNY. That's the trick.

There, said my piece. On to the positivism effort now ;)
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Univex wrote: »
    All we need is a cracking new narrative. Just look at those scenes we all loved from The Night Manager (not the all thing of course). And those stylish moments from U.N.C.L.E. (not the all thing of course). It could work today.

I absolutely loved The Night Manager (and U.N.C.L.E too for that matter), and the moments that felt Bondian had me thinking what a Susanne Bier directed Bond film might look like.
    All we need is a cracking new narrative. Just look at those scenes we all loved from The Night Manager (not the all thing of course). And those stylish moments from U.N.C.L.E. (not the all thing of course). It could work today.

I absolutely loved The Night Manager (and U.N.C.L.E too for that matter), and the moments that felt Bondian had me thinking what a Susanne Bier directed Bond film could look like.

Yes, I'd love her to tackle it. But what I'd really love is another film by the Fukunaga/Sandgren team, but with an all new cast and script based on the Fleming left overs. Or Dennis Villeneuve could have a go at it. Keep Hans Zimmer on, but bring one of the Gallagher bros for the song. But hey, this is all Bond26 uncharted territory.

The thing is, I already know that my favourite parts in NTTD will be the escapism, the action in Matera, and (one hopes) the Jamaica scenes. Why? Because they already scream "good time" to me. I'll probably yawn in the Mi6 team scenes, and roll my eyes with every Nomi quip. And that raid from the 3rd act will probably be ruined because Bond already has an earpiece on and is not working alone.

Now please, surprise me and prove me wrong ;) I'm all for it.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I've always thought the end of SF looked like Craig's Bond was going into Standalone territory again. If another Director was attached to Craig's 4th film, it was very likely going to be a Standalone Bond film. But once Mendes returned, he decided to make SP SF's sequel. But NTTD is still a Bond film, apart from the story and action...lots of things to look forward to....the GB, title song, Daniel Kleinman's title sequence, Soundtrack & all. Maybe if Danny Boyle were Director, NTTD might have been a Standalone Bond film....which I honestly think Bond 26 is likely to be. Maybe Fukunaga feels there's more in SP that wasn't done to the fullest in 2015....coz he could easily have written something new.

I absolutely loved The Night Manager (and U.N.C.L.E too for that matter), and the moments that felt Bondian had me thinking what a Susanne Bier directed Bond film could look like.

Yes, I'd love her to tackle it. But what I'd really love is another film by the Fukunaga/Sandgren team, but with an all new cast and script based on the Fleming left overs. Or Dennis Villeneuve could have a go at it. Keep Hans Zimmer on, but bring one of the Gallagher bros for the song. But hey, this is all Bond26 uncharted territory.

The thing is, I already know that my favourite parts in NTTD will be the escapism, the action in Matera, and (one hopes) the Jamaica scenes. Why? Because they already scream "good time" to me. I'll probably yawn in the Mi6 team scenes, and roll my eyes with every Nomi quip. And that raid from the 3rd act will probably be ruined because Bond already has an earpiece on and is not working alone.

Now please, surprise me and prove me wrong ;) I'm all for it.

It's too early for me to already be up for a second Bond film with Fukunaga/Sandgren. Hopefully there will be elements there that will want me to see them return for Bond 26 – but I have a feeling Fukunaga is not the kind of director that will do a Bond film closer to my preference as far as Bond goes, which is more lighthearted films. But this is a topic for another thread, of course.

As for NTTD, I don't know what I look forward to. Seeing how The Atlantic Road looks like on screen perhaps (but that will probably be what – two, three minutes tops?), and any scene with David Dencik. Even how minor his role in the film might be, he is no doubt the standout casting for me.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Just beginning to wonder if the Valhalla will see any action.

It was spotted in Scotland….so if Scotland is standing in for the finale then I assume it’ll come into action there.

Though we know that Nomi drives the Superaleggra and Bond drives the V8 there. So at this point it’s unknown how the Valhalla fits in…….I imagine the second trailer will feature more of the car. Personally, I think the Valhalla is a Fukunaga touch. His attempt to modernise the series.

I think Bond drives the car though and not Nomi in a chase. But who knows…..

16574808-0-image-a-20_1564250491598.jpg
    filming-in-the-scottish-highlands-for-the-bond-25-film-the-car-is-an-aston-martin-valhalla-W5TE94.jpg

Yeah, i would like the Valhalla to be a scene-stealer.

It was spotted in Scotland….so if Scotland is standing in for the finale then I assume it’ll come into action there.

Though we know that Nomi drives the Superaleggra and Bond drives the V8 there. So at this point it’s unknown how the Valhalla fits in…….I imagine the second trailer will feature more of the car. Personally, I think the Valhalla is a Fukunaga touch. His attempt to modernise the series.

filming-in-the-scottish-highlands-for-the-bond-25-film-the-car-is-an-aston-martin-valhalla-W5TE94.jpg

Better than a Ford Mondeo, that's for sure :-D

:D Undoubtedly.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Craig has a good voice. It struck me watching the interview that we rarely hear him just talking normally. He plays Bond as so tense and up tight. Would be nice if he could bring more of himself to TNND.

Lashana comes across very well. I don't think we need to be too worried about her. And Remi has this weird authority/charisma. I think he will be a good villain. Looking forward to it.
    My saying all along that Craig should talk more. He talks brilliantly in Layer Cake.

@Univex , I’m trying to be optimistic, but you did hit on pretty much every inner niggle that I’m harboring.

If...

- There were no other Mi6 players other than M and maybe a quick stop by the Q branch;
    - Bond was his flirty confident self, with style and panache, even if he bleed and hurt throughout;
    - There were no more constant mistakes, trust issues, and angst from our man Bond

I'd be all over it, trust me. Positivism wouldn't be an effort, I guarantee it. I know some fans want to break the formula, bring caos into the system as one said the other day, but I surely don't. I'm a true believer that in these slightly dark times, an escapist adventure not unlike the first 4 from the 60's would do nicely with today's audiences. Are Connery's films slapstick? Would a film like that be slapstick today? I think not. All we need is a cracking new narrative. Just look at those scenes we all loved from The Night Manager (not the all thing of course). And those stylish moments from U.N.C.L.E. (not the all thing of course). It could work today.

My hope is that Bond26 will veer into that domain again, whilst still maintaining the brilliant quality brought by the Craig era. Also, that's why I don't want Nolan (who is one of my favourite directors) near a Bond flick. He'd bring another age of darkness and angst, and plot twists involving betrayals. Damn it, even Shakespeare would know by now to insert a dog in the play to get some laughs out of the audience. It's been too serious for too long. And it shouldn't be funny. I'm not advocating for funny. I'm advocating for fun. FUN not FUNNY. That's the trick.

I don´t even share all the potential worries you list, @Univex (the only thing at the moment I feel really averse to is the music, score as well as song), but I can more or less agree with every single sentence in that post.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Apart from the plot in SP, the lack of escapism and joy ("good time" as you've put it) is what bothered me the most about Bond films lately. IMO they were present in CR, and even in QoS to a degree, but I find them missing in Mendes' movies (SF was good, but for other reasons). From what I've seen, NTTD seems to be going in the same direction.

That said, I'm not advocating for the return of silly moments from some of the Brosnan entries.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

I’m thoroughly excited for NTTD. What I really enjoyed in the production of the film is seeing the mix of veteran Bond (and film) craftsmen with younger up and comers. The social media posts, including the Prince Charles set visit, contained vitality and excitement. It was great to see twenty and thirty-somethings excited to be working on a Bond film. Everyone seems excited about the film, and to paraphrase Craig from the Entertainment Weekly interview: it feels like everyone tried their best to give us something interesting. I’ve said before that continuing story threads created in Spectre says a lot about the production team’s confidence that they can really bring Craig’s tenure to a satisfying conclusion.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I absolutely loved The Night Manager (and U.N.C.L.E too for that matter), and the moments that felt Bondian had me thinking what a Susanne Bier directed Bond film might look like.

Did you think it was a bit of a ripoff (plot-wise) of Licence To Kill? I was really surprised! And surprised that no-one seemed to mention it. :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Contraband wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    I watched the trailer again today and noticed something I hadn't before. Forgive me if this came up weeks ago.

In the scene where Bond sees Madeliene in the hallway and says, "I'm not going to lose...control," his face is pretty beaten up. Cuts on the lip, bridge of the nose, and eyebrow. We do not see these cuts on his face when he is told, by Moneypenny, "I thought you two would get along." Despite the editing of the trailer, which makes it appear as though these are sequential events, they are not. For instance, the cuts are not there when he arrives at MI6 in the Asdton. But they are visible when he speaks to the desk sargeant, "Bond...James Bond." They are again not visible when he arrives at Q's flat.

The cut on the bridge of the nose is visible when Bond confronts Safin. (No cuts on the lip or eyebrow.)

I have no idea what to make of this. But what if we have it all wrong: Bond's venture into Safin's lair, in military sweater, takes place much earlier than we assume: maybe this first encounter with Safin is in Jamaica/Cuba, NOT later in the film? In other words, it's possible that the scene with Safin ("Play God") occurs prior to the scene with Blofeld ("You gave up everything for her").

He has the scar on the lip arriving with Moneypenny in the V8, and that must be outside MI6

KaoSegW.jpg
    cATQssE.jpg
    STOzrfe.jpg

In the trailer Naomie has the same clothes walking with Craig and Lashana inside MIQ

Thanks for pointing this out, @Contraband I went back and rewatched the trailer, in better quality, and the it does appear as though Bond does have the cuts in that hallway scene with Moneypenny and Nomi, after all.

But back to timeline: it would seem that these facial lacerations happen in Cuba/Jamaica. And this leaves the bit of mystery regarding the cut on the nose when confronting Safin.

@MTM: yes, it would seem there is much more going on in Jamaica/Cuba than is seen in the trailer.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    mtm wrote: »

Did you think it was a bit of a ripoff (plot-wise) of Licence To Kill? I was really surprised! And surprised that no-one seemed to mention it. :)

That thought never crossed my mind when I watched it, but I have to watch it again soon, and I'll definitely have this in mind when I do!
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Craig has a good voice. It struck me watching the interview that we rarely hear him just talking normally. He plays Bond as so tense and up tight. Would be nice if he could bring more of himself to TNND.

Lashana comes across very well. I don't think we need to be too worried about her. And Remi has this weird authority/charisma. I think he will be a good villain. Looking forward to it.
    My saying all along that Craig should talk more. He talks brilliantly in Layer Cake.

+3. I love seeing DC yuck if up in these kinds of interviews. Speaking of his voice, he’s always had this authoritative, tough, and commanding tone of voice that’s just so suited for the Bond character. The interview around the coffee table made me realize just how much limited his dialogue and non-conversational is in his own Bond films, which is a shame.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,673
    mtm wrote: »

I did. Naughty Le Carré.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    matt_u wrote: »
    JG007 wrote: »
    The promotional pictures from EW has Craig wearing a wedding ring and in one pose it’s almost as like the shot has been setup to tempt the obvious question as to whether the ring on Craig’s finger is him in character or not?...

The question was brought to my attention when I saw N Peal’s Instagram post on the same subject.

I know this subject has been toyed with but a wedding ring is also seen in the Heineken advert 🤨

What’s the consensus?
    🍸

Since in the spot he doesn’t play Bond, I wouldn’t look too much into it...

Fair points gents 🍸
    I think Craig just chose to play a Taciturn Bond....and to be honest, Bond doesn't really talk at length....Maybe Craig's Bond misses witty lines like-'Shocking! Positively shocking!', 'Well, he did always have an inflated opinion of himself', 'All those feathers and he still can't fly', 'Compliments of Sharkey', 'They'll print anything these days', etc.
    I've always thought the end of SF looked like Craig's Bond was going into Standalone territory again. If another Director was attached to Craig's 4th film, it was very likely going to be a Standalone Bond film. But once Mendes returned, he decided to make SP SF's sequel. But NTTD is still a Bond film, apart from the story and action...lots of things to look forward to....the GB, title song, Daniel Kleinman's title sequence, Soundtrack & all. Maybe if Danny Boyle were Director, NTTD might have been a Standalone Bond film....which I honestly think Bond 26 is likely to be. Maybe Fukunaga feels there's more in SP that wasn't done to the fullest in 2015....coz he could easily have written something new.
    Making SP a personal story would have been dictated by Craig and EON rather than just Mendes alone.

edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    TR007 wrote: »
    Making SP a personal story would have been dictated by Craig and EON rather than just Mendes alone.

Yeah, but the way Mendes ended SF....with the Bond theme, M's office, Moneypenny & 'Are you ready to get back to work?' line. It shows Mendes had no intention to return....he was obviously wooed back & possibly out of laziness to craft a new plot to match the 'Are you ready to get back to work?' line & M throwing Bond the file, he decided to take inspiration from the destruction of the SF mansion. And being a Director that just made Eon a Billion, I think if he said anything, Eon would've listened....whether he objected or accepted. so I would like to think it was entirely his decision to make SP SF's sequel....for years SF was a Standalone Bond film, until SP was made....and part of me still think it is, as I find Silva's link to SPECTRE too contrived.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    boldfinger wrote: »

+3. I love seeing DC yuck if up in these kinds of interviews. Speaking of his voice, he’s always had this authoritative, tough, and commanding tone of voice that’s just so suited for the Bond character. The interview around the coffee table made me realize just how much limited his dialogue and non-conversational is in his own Bond films, which is a shame.

He does have a very commanding voice, it's true.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Finneas has revealed that he and Billie Eilish were not 'approached' to write the theme song, but fought it our for a year before being chosen.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Glad to hear that.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    Still would have preferred Arnold. But great news. Zimmer is 2nd on my list!
    @Contraband why lot of your video about the shootoing of NTTD are in "private" on your YT channel ?
    Big changes on YT the last days. All comments are disabled unless the owner of the channel changes his - or hers - settings for the specific videos from suitable for children to not suitable for children.

If...

You make some excellent points, @Univex , and I would be over the moon if I thought we had those six bullet points in the film. However, it makes sense that this will be a continuation of SP, not only in terms of plot and character but tone and style, and from what I've seen it looks like the most colorful, fun, entertaining Bond film we could get under those circumstances. I'm feeling quite positive about it, even though I would be even more positive if your wishlist had come true.

I absolutely loved The Night Manager
    Best Bond movies the last 20 years have for me been the reboot Casino Royale, and 'Night Manager'. The four epilogues to the reboot - where Bond is still trying to find himself - I probably won't care for when the day comes when James Bond is back in his usual confident self.

• RyanRyan Canada
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Finneas has revealed that he and Billie Eilish were not 'approached' to write the theme song, but fought it our for a year before being chosen.

I like that. Clearly they truly wanted to do it.

Hey, I drive a Mondeo! (in it's Jaguar X-type form).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Lea's awkness is endearing.

As an introvert, we need to stick together.
    Ryan wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I like that. Clearly they truly wanted to do it.
    As would a lot of people. Absolutely no indication of suitability.