No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Why do you want the character to die?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Is that something your really want to declare on a public forum?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If Madeline turns out to be a villain and the chick 00 gets killed, all of my fears will have been for naught.

I believe none of this will happen. Swann turned in “villain” sounds just nonsensical. One thing is having dark secrets hidden in the past, another thing is being a secret villain throwing out of the window how the character was presented in the previous one. Anyway let’s see. Nomi dying doesn’t sound quite likely, but I don’t see the point of putting so much weight on her living or dying in the film. She won’t ever return to the franchise, what’s the point of being worried about that.

+1 to everything you said
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,961
    Why not? There are many characters in fiction that I would like to see die in their respective format(s).

‘Why not?’ isn’t really a reason though.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Some people are just not happy about Nomi and what is likely to be the case with her character.

I'll wait till I see the film to see if she isn't to my liking, wishing her dead before I've seen it seems a somewhat strange.

Though I made peace with this controversial element of this film sometime ago, as soon as it looked like it was happening I figured so be it, I'll see how it plays out in the film.

• 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    No one else surprise that Malek said “I’m not even sure what my characters final name is in this, no I’m pretty sure it’s Safin”.

This could fan those Dr No flames...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do fear the weight and threat of social pressure behind what we get on screen. Other 00s have a long history of being killed off in the film series. What I don’t want, and what I am suspicious about, is that this new one is protected and immune from death simply because she is a black woman.

Your reasons for ‘wanting her dead’ are based entirely around her gender and race. I’m not comfortable with that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    No one else surprise that Malek said “I’m not even sure what my characters final name is in this, no I’m pretty sure it’s Safin”.

This could fan those Dr No flames...

Although what are the first two letters of Lynch’s character’s name..? :D
    Do we know if she’s got any qualifications? ;)
  • We haven’t met Nomi yet - even Lashana has said in that video the character is more complex than we perceive. I think Lashana has got a lot of charisma in person. The brief clip we have seen in the trailer is more than convincing that Nomi can kick ass. Plus Lashana has had a Hollywood glow-up since the Jamaica announcement.........the jury is out till April, but I’m more than excited about her character. She looks pretty peng in these photos

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I'm not comfortable posting on a forum where a moderator bandies about threats of violence against women, fictional or not, and openly dismiss users who understandably take issue with it. @Birdleson, if I might encourage you, please be thoughtful in regards to the views you feel necessary to express, because your past few posts are, quite frankly, distasteful.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    I do fear the weight and threat of social pressure behind what we get on screen. Other 00s have a long history of being killed off in the film series. What I don’t want, and what I am suspicious about, is that this new one is protected and immune from death simply because she is a black woman.

Your reasons for ‘wanting her dead’ are based entirely around her gender and race. I’m not comfortable with that.

You’re comfort isn’t my concern. Just disagree and post your own thoughts, don’t get hung up on others. Her entire inclusion in the film is based on her race and gender.

That’s me posting my thoughts: people thinking she should die because of her race and gender is troublesome and make me less proud of being a Bond fan.
    And we don’t know why she has been included in the film yet, no: we don’t know the full purpose of the character in the script.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Sorry, but that’s my take on it. “Threats of violence “... ? I want a fictional 00 to die in the film as most every other 00 that sees action has. It’s to my point that if she wasn’t a woman or black I doubt any of you would have any concern hoping that another 00 doesn’t live through the movie. I am strongly anti any violence or even criticisms of members on here, but characters in a Bond film? That’s open game so far as I’m concerned. No one has to like me, or agree, but we don’t shut down opinions here. Actual threats, personal criticisms or attacks,; that’s unacceptable.

Not sure why people are jumping on you for your initial comment. It seemed pretty clear to me what you were indicating by it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sorry, but that’s my take on it. “Threats of violence “... ? I want a fictional 00 to die in the film as most every other 00 that sees action has. It’s to my point that if she wasn’t a woman or black I doubt any of you would have any concern hoping that another 00 doesn’t live through the movie.

Our concern is based on the fact you want her to die because of her race and gender. So that’s a fairly meaningless observation: it would be like a person who showed age prejudice saying ‘I bet you wouldn’t mind if I didn’t hate old people’. Well, yeah. That’s the problem.

I am strongly anti any violence or even criticisms of members on here, but characters in a Bond film? That’s open game so far as I’m concerned. No one has to like me, or agree, but we don’t shut down opinions here. Actual threats, personal criticisms or attacks,; that’s unacceptable.

I’m not sure even fictional characters should be criticised solely on the basis of their race or gender. To ‘want them dead’ is even stronger still and conjures you some very unpleasant imagery. You’re welcome to disagree, but as you say: we don’t shut down opinions here.
    I hope you give this some thought.
    Oversensitivity. These are all characters in a movie - how we feel about them obviously isn’t how we feel about people in real life. Why is it worse to want a female character to die than a male character anyway (why is it bad at all when they are fictional characters?)? I thought equality was the idea.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You came up with the solely on race and gender thing. I never said that. What I said was that I suspect that the character will be protected from death due to her race and gender (unlike all the previous 00s who have fallen). Please don’t twist my words

You’re not giving any other reason in this post other than her race and gender. What have I missed? What else about the character are you mentioning here?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Oversensitivity. These are all characters in a movie - how we feel about them obviously isn’t how we feel about people in real life. Why is it worse to want a female character to die than a male character anyway (why is it bad at all when they are fictional characters?)? I thought equality was the idea.

Wanting them to die because they’re a woman is not the same as wanting them to be killed off regardless of their being a woman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the problem is that we’re entirely getting what you’re saying!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

You’re comfort isn’t my concern. Just disagree and post your own thoughts, don’t get hung up on others. Her entire inclusion in the film is based on her race and gender.

Who knew Laurence Fox was a mod on this forum.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    For those wondering. Concerns regarding @Safin_Unmasked have been noted and are being dealt with.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Love this new shot of Safin in Cuba (?) with CJF. He’ll be a very compelling villain I think, comparable with Bardem’s Silva.

@NickTwentyTwo they have pine trees in cuba? I think it's the Norway sequence.

haha fair enough, not sure why I had Safin in Cuba on my mind when I saw the image but regardless, love the new look at the character, I'm excited to see what he brings to the story.
    You came up with the solely on race and gender thing. I never said that. What I said was that I suspect that the character will be protected from death due to her race and gender (unlike all the previous 00s who have fallen). Please don’t twist my words

You’re not giving any other reason in this post other than her race and gender. What have I missed? What else about the character are you mentioning here?

Didn't he say he wanted Nomi to die because he wanted James Bond to be the only remaining 00 at the end of the film? Especially if Nomi will be 007, there are those who want Bond to retain 007 at the end of the film, and there aren't a lot of options for Nomi if that's to happen.
    I personally hope they don't go this route, and maybe this is "too PC" for this community but if the film kills off a strong black female character just to give Bond back his 007 status, that'll come across as pretty tone deaf I think.

At the end of the day, who lives and who dies in a fictional setting should be governed by one and only thing: STORY.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    What is happening to this thread?

All @Birdleson was saying was that he wanted Nomi to get the same treatment as prior 00's. That's different than saying he wants her to die because of her race. I personally have faith that they wont overly PC this film up, but I get the concern that they might.
    Benny wrote: »
    For those wondering. Concerns regarding @Safin_Unmasked have been noted and are being dealt with.
    It was ironic he was complaining about spam when that was all he posted about.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 309
    JamesStock wrote: »
    What is happening to this thread?

All @Birdleson was saying was that he wanted Nomi to get the same treatment as prior 00's. That's different than saying he wants her to die because of her race. I personally have faith that they wont overly PC this film up, but I get the concern that they might.
    Benny wrote: »
    It was ironic he was complaining about spam when that was all he posted about.

In the context of the film, what would you consider PC? One man’s PC may be another man’s fair treatment. Terms like PC are thrown out into the world without definition or context, and in many cases they’re misused or mis-applied.

I think hoping that a character dies because other similar characters died in other entries is silly. The deaths of other 00’s in other Bond films served their plot functions. What if Nomi’s plot function doesn’t involve her dying? Is that too PC? Is that wrong?
    I still don’t understand what the big, outrageous deal is about someone casually voicing their opinion on wanting a CHARACTER IN A FILM killed off. I swear some of you guys just read into little thing and make it a petty issue. At that point, why don’t you just take it to the pm’s?
    I still don’t understand what the big, outrageous deal is about someone casually voicing their opinion on wanting a CHARACTER IN A FILM killed off. I swear some of you guys just read into little thing and make it a petty issue. At that point, why don’t you just take it to the pm’s?

It’s not really a big deal but let’s not act as though every opinion or suggestions carries the same amount of merit and weight. I think it’s just a silly comment to make given the reasoning.

It is an open forum. Opposing opinions are allowed too.

Burgess wrote: »

It’s not really a big deal but let’s not act as though every opinion or suggestions carries the same amount of merit and weight. I think it’s just a silly comment to make given the reasoning.

I know what an open forum is, but thank you for enlightening me. And I never said every opinion carries the same amount of weight or merit; if you want to take it that way and make that assumption, I’m not responsible for that. Again, I’m failing to see why such an innocuous comment raised by one person received the amount of backlash by a few. It’s already taken up, what, two pages of this thread? That, to me, is silly.

I know what an open forum is, but thank you for enlightening me. And I never said every opinion carries the same amount of weight or merit; if you want to take it that way and make that assumption, I’m not responsible for that. Again, I’m failing to see why such an innocuous comment raised by one person received the amount of backlash by a few. It’s already taken up, what, two pages of this thread? That, to me, is silly.

There’s so much vitriol in this thread. An opinion was posted, a counter opinion followed it. Why not leave it at that and we can move on?
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    https://ew.com/movies/james-bond-no-time-to-die-photos/

Great new images have emerged from NTTD.
    I really hope Felix’s presence isn’t limited to Jamaica.

Agreed, thrilled he’s back. We haven’t seen any Magnussen in photos or anything yet have we?

So, the problem with the original comment is that it’s rooted in an odd fear that Nomi may be “protected” from dying because she’s black. It reduces her character to just skin color, and makes it an issue. It seems the only people making noise about Nomi’s skin color (and even gender) are those that seem to have a an aversion to anything they label as “PC.” As I stated in a previous post, no one has really stated what they define as PC and in what ways that definition is problematic to the enjoyment or success of the film.

Also, I apologize if my previous response to you was condescending. I didn’t mean it that way.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Well lots of strong opinions here. Personally, I'm happy to see Nomi as a character, and I'm open to whatever direction it takes. I do hope she's not killed.

As for Madeline, I have not changed my mind. I hope she is NOT killed. It would make a refreshing change from the predictable outcome for Bond's women. Also I really do not want her to be a traitor; nope. That's been overdone. (If he thinks she has betrayed him, okay; that can help the story, but have it known - without a stupid tragic ending - that she did not betray him.)

Just give me a good, compelling story with decent dialog, great action scenes, tension that builds, some humor within context that is not over the top, outstanding cinematography (I think we have a lock on that, thankfully) and a fully engaged, confident, all burners firing Daniel Craig. I do think we will have that with this film.

I have no bad feelings about this film; on the contrary, I keep being encouraged by what I see and read. But reading on the forum just feels like more than a few people are feeling weighed down by a lot of negativity towards certain characters. And then letting that, with all of the "what ifs" of possible plot, drag them under.

I'm excited for this Bond film. For me, the main reason is Cary.