No Time to Die production thread

Comments

I think it’s important to define “bigger.” Does bigger mean more explosions and gunfights, or clear emotional stakes? Does “bigger” change from movie to movie? Is “bigger” dependent on themes and motifs or pacing and set pieces?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do remember watching SF in IMAX and being nearly deafened by the house blowing up! :D
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    After watching Spectre for the first time in a while, I do feel it's going to be difficult to tie up all the loose ends of that story and then have a fulfilling new story with NTTD.

Either there is going to be a lot left off screen between Bond and Madeline or there is going to be a lot of quick globe trotting with the new story, where we are barely in a location. I can't see them managing to fit both into the new film under say two and half hours

If only Bond falling for Madeline had been handled better in Spectre
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Zekidk wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    The difference between SF & SP, is SF opened big & closed big. While SP opened big & closed small.

Huh? The last 25 minutes of SF is Bond defending Skyfall against intruders and the confrontation in the old church.

In SP it was Bond escaping the villains lair and causing the biggest explosion yet to be seen in a movie, a fight between M and C and Bond chasing a helicopter down Thames.
    How's that closing small?

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions.
    Have to stop you right there.

"Spectre record for largest film stunt explosion"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34775078

Problem is, the explosion wasn't at the end of the film.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Stephen Colbert takes a crack at Billie and NTTD. Don't miss the video at the end

• RC7RC7
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    After watching Spectre for the first time in a while, I do feel it's going to be difficult to tie up all the loose ends of that story and then have a fulfilling new story with NTTD.

Either there is going to be a lot left off screen between Bond and Madeline or there is going to be a lot of quick globe trotting with the new story, where we are barely in a location. I can't see them managing to fit both into the new film under say two and half hours

‘All’ the loose ends? How many are you counting?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    mtm wrote: »
    I do remember watching SF in IMAX and being nearly deafened by the house blowing up! :D

Something I always remember about watching SF at the BFI imax was that during the jellyfish fight, every time the gun fired, it really lit up both bond and Patrice’s faces, something that is hardly noticeable on non imax.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DCisared wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Something I always remember about watching SF at the BFI imax was that during the jellyfish fight, every time the gun fired, it really lit up both bond and Patrice’s faces, something that is hardly noticeable on non imax.

Ah that's cool: I don't remember that.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541
    The difference between SF & SP, is SF opened big & closed big. While SP opened big & closed small.

Huh? The last 25 minutes of SF is Bond defending Skyfall against intruders and the confrontation in the old church.

In SP it was Bond escaping the villains lair and causing the biggest explosion yet to be seen in a movie, a fight between M and C and Bond chasing a helicopter down Thames.

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions.

Am aware of the explosion's award & recognition & am not arguing with that....all am saying is, on screen it doesn't look like the largest film stunt explosion....something to do with how it was filmed perhaps. When SF mansion explodes, it even looks bigger than it...with the helicopter crashing and all.

It does look like the largest film explosion, just doesn't feel like a largest film explosion due to poor narrative and action choreography. There should have been more gunfire and fist fight before explosion to have better impact.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247

Am aware of the explosion's award & recognition & am not arguing with that....all am saying is, on screen it doesn't look like the largest film stunt explosion....something to do with how it was filmed perhaps. When SF mansion explodes, it even looks bigger than it...with the helicopter crashing and all.

It does look like the largest film explosion, just doesn't feel like a largest film explosion due to poor narrative and action choreography. There should have been more gunfire and fist fight before explosion to have better impact.

Exactly...that's my point. Bond & Madeleine just talking and looking at the explosion....casually. The explosion doesn't appear dangerous the way it was filmed. When the Mansion exploded in SF, even Bond felt the impact.
    A trustworthy source confirms a running time of about 2 hrs 50 min
  • shamelord wrote: »

After 5 year wait, I'm okay with this. Wish Rise of Skywalker was this long.
    shamelord wrote: »

looks like everything is indeed pointing in that direction.

007: Endgame, bring it on
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,160
    TripAces wrote: »

Problem is, the explosion wasn't at the end of the film.
    Neither was Skyfall blowing up. That happened 20 minutes before the end (at 2:04 exactly, whereas the SP explosion is at 1:59)

I can roll with that. Angles, editing and the objects being closer to the explosion etc. The SP explosion looks too staged, IMO.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    If true, Craig officially surpasses Connery’s combined runtimes (excluding NSNA) with one whole less film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    antovolk wrote: »

looks like everything is indeed pointing in that direction.

007: Endgame, bring it on

My body is ready.
  • RC7RC7
    I’m sceptical. I imagine they’ll want to shave 20 mins off that.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    RC7 wrote: »

As I said a couple days ago, a 150/160 minutes runtime seems more plausible to me. But you never know. Anyway NTTD will be a mammoth installment, that’s for sure.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    It's the 25th film of the franchise. They have to go all out - just like they did for the 20th (oops).

Yes, but the film will be very, very close to a final cut by now. It might even be locked within the next few days. So that won't mean huge cuts (20 mins would be big stuff at this stage), just trims and polishes.

ColonelSun wrote: »

Yes, but the film will be very, very close to a final cut by now. It might even be locked within the next few days. So that won't mean huge cuts (20 mins would be big stuff at this stage), just trims and polishes.

Not to mention that distributors, before tickets can go on sale - which they will next month - actually have to give some sort of indication to cinemas about how long the film is so they can program the showtimes and so on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Blimey, I kind of hope that changes. That feels too long for a Bond to me.

Not to mention that distributors, before tickets can go on sale - which they will next month - actually have to give some sort of indication to cinemas about how long the film is so they can program the showtimes and so on.

Last year Disney gave to the theaters a runtime of 155 minutes for IX, a couple months before release, but then the actual film ended up 142 minutes.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »

‘All’ the loose ends? How many are you counting?

Honestly now I think of it, I can count 3.
    Madeline and Bond romance, Bond's retirement and Blofled/Brofeld. Maybe 4 if you count how they mention how the 00 section was shut down and the end of Spectre
    I wasn't expected to be called out so quick :))

I'm good with a long film so long as it's paced well. I always think of Heat and Godfather II when I think of well paced movies over two and half hours long, if NTTD is anything them I'll be a happy man
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »

Last year Disney gave to the theaters a runtime of 155 minutes for IX, a couple months before release, but then the actual film ended up 142 minutes.

Shame that; I wouldn’t have minded that being longer as it was more epic. Endgame on the other hand did feel too long to me, especially with the episodic ‘get the crystals’ thing- when it cuts to another team and you realise there’s yet another one of the bloody things to get! :)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I felt that Blofeld was the only loose end from Spectre and even that was not a really loose end since he ended up in prison.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Thanks man, i hope this is true :-O [-O<

That is very true. My guess, the final film is around 2 hours & 35 mins - 40 mins.

Amazing. So much Bond after a long hiatus!
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 68
    We can chop the movie in half and pretend we got an 85 minute Bond film in 2017 and another in 2020 heh heh heh. Help soothe some of the pain of this long wait