What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    What a total non article, journalists are a joke these days if we can call them that.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I thought this thread was about Billie Eilish doing the NTTD song, but it got turned towards the compaint unused Fleming materials, the demand to have been all the Fleming books truhfully adapted for the screen, being period-piecesand set in the 1950's, how much of the plot of the books was adapted 1:1 on the big screen. This is straying offtopic, I fear.
    I thought this thread was about Billie Eilish doing the NTTD song, but it got turned towards the compaint unused Fleming materials, the demand to have been all the Fleming books truhfully adapted for the screen, being period-piecesand set in the 1950's, how much of the plot of the books was adapted 1:1 on the big screen. This is straying offtopic, I fear.

I hold my hand up here, My fault. I think myself and Burgess have come to an understanding and conclusion now, so you'll hear no more about it on this thread. Back on topic....
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,314
    Being in my 40's, I've only heard a couple of songs from her and while it's really not my thing, I don't completely hate it either. However, her voice sounded overly processed. Can she actually sing? I suppose I should do my research. Anyway, I hope she stays true to her style. I've always felt that if Garbage had done something a little more "edgy" like what we heard on their first album we all would have been the better for it. Not sure they were the right fit for Arnold's more traditional Bond theme song. I hope Billie doesn't try to mold her sound either. I will go in with as much of an open mind as I possibly can.
    Well I have to say congratulations to MI6HQ first of all on the scoop of correctly predicting and reporting the Bond song performer for NTTD. Much to the shock and disgust of my step kids to the reality of me never hearing of this person before. :))
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,261
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well I have to say congratulations to MI6HQ first of all on the scoop of correctly predicting and reporting the Bond song performer for NTTD. Much to the shock and disgust of my step kids to the reality of me never hearing of this person before. :))

That makes two of us. In terms of not having heard of her prior to the first rumours surfacing here. Not kids- or step-kids-wise. And being in my very late 40's,
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 12,837
    Honestly don't hate this. Can't say I'm a big fan (heard a few of her songs and can't say I get it, just not in her age bracket I guess) and yeah they're chart chasing and going with another big flavour of the month kind of artist but she's at least got an edge to her that Smith and Adele lacked imo. Which I think will be a nice change of pace after the last couple. Something dark and grungey seems fitting for the last film of an era that lots of people have painted as "emo Bond". So I'm cautiously optimistic.

She's far from my first choice don't get me wrong. But Beyonce and Ed Sheeran were rumoured. It could've been worse.

And to be fair maybe a massively current artist is sort of needed. Nearly five years since the last film, same sort of tone/plot, same recurring cast, etc. And the film itself seems to have a pretty retro vibe as well. Getting someone very "now" to do the theme song might be a good way to counteract any feelings of sameyness or staleness. Shows Bond is still with it, no signs of fatigue, it might be a direct sequel but they're not just coasting by on the glory of SF still.
    Ok, new title of the thread, so I'll answer :)

Hmmm..

No idea.

I want it to sound like a Bond theme...but I want to like it....

And I know Billie Eilish's songs and way of singing

So....I have to be realistic in what I want

I EXPECT something like Sam Smith's song

A slow song with a good chorus

I thought Sam Smith's song was..fine..but I wasn't a big fan of it...just fine, I didn't hate it, I think it did it's job and that's it....and every once in a while it'll grow on me

So...I expect the same by Billie Eilish, I don't think it will be a bad song, and I think it will be a serviceable song which will be just a good Bond song which many will think "yeah, ok" (altough some people will be blinded by prejudice maybe and I get it..but I think many people might also say "hey, she is an 18 year old pop-singing girl but she is not the worst at this)

What I WANT.....well...

Idk..a song that won't be all slow and will be kinda fun/menacing or at the very least have a great chorus since that will probably be the highlight of an otherwise slow (or at least that's what i expect) song

I am fine with Billie Eilish, she'll do the job (y)

P.S. Can we please start getting some perfect fits for Bond themes???? I mean..yeah, Billie Eilish is alright for the job just like Sam Smith but...can we get...idk..Lana Del Rey? Adele again? The Sting rumours were decent to me too.

Idk, I feel like there are many perfect fits in Hollywood and I am annoyed when they are not used.

pachazo wrote: »
    Being in my 40's, I've only heard a couple of songs from her and while it's really not my thing, I don't completely hate it either. However, her voice sounded overly processed. Can she actually sing? I suppose I should do my research. Anyway, I hope she stays true to her style. I've always felt that if Garbage had done something a little more "edgy" like what we heard on their first album we all would have been the better for it. Not sure they were the right fit for Arnold's more traditional Bond theme song. I hope Billie doesn't try to mold her sound either. I will go in with as much of an open mind as I possibly can.

Someone posted this few pages back, and since I assume people who never heard of her googled and probably listened to "You should see me in a crown" or "Bad Guy" they might expect a song like that

This is what I imagine Billie's Bond song would sound like.

Yes she can sing, especially slow songs such as this one..which you gotta admit kinda sounds bondian in the type of tune

I hope she twerks in the song.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I hope she gets some decent shampoo
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
    This sounds the most Bondian this is probably most likely what we will get it's done over the Skyfall titles.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    This sounds the most Bondian this is probably most likely what we will get it's done over the Skyfall titles.

It's not my taste in music, though I am stuck in the 20th Century.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 12,837

It's not my sort of thing either but honestly, I think the 21st century has been better for music than a lot of people give it credit for. Hip hop has been on another level to anything from the 80s or 90s. You've got grime coming out of the old garage stuff (probably showing myself up as very mainstream now but Stormzy is brilliant, the hype is deserved). Guitar music I always thought was worse, I've got a soft spot for proper old school stuff thanks to my adoptive dad (Guns n Roses that kind of thing) and I genuinely think that British, alternative/indie guitar bands were a lot better back in the day. Love the whole 80s/90s Manchester scene. But there's still some good ones. Anything Alex Turner does is incredible. And even in terms of that classic sort of rock I was on about it's not all gone. Rush were still going until a couple of years ago.

I'm only saying all this because I used to say the same, that music had gone downhill, until I thought about it and realised that there's actually tons of modern stuff I listen to and enjoy. Pop music now is crap sure but poppy chart music has always been crap. We just forget about it because it's forgettable, we only remember the good music from years gone by and that leads to us romanticising them I think.
  • When I first heard this news I expected an overwhelmingly negative response from the fan base (I figured there wouldn’t be a significant cross section of Eilish fans and Bond fans) but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of hers but I am familiar with her music and I do applaud the producers for the choice they made. A popular artist, appealing to a younger demographic, but also someone with some uniqueness and creativity to prevent it from being a completely safe choice (i.e. Dua Lipa or Ed Sheeran, and to a lesser extent Beyoncé). Will this draw more teenagers into cinemas come April? Somehow I doubt it, but I’m so glad they decided not to live in the past and commission an artist who’d make a safe “Classic Bond” sort of tune, I’d rather they shoot for the moon and end up with Another Way to Die than go back to the old well and get The Writing’s On The Wall. Personally, Bond has been at its best when it’s pushed the envelope to try new, fresh perspectives and that’s true for the music of the franchise as well. My favourite title songs are OHMSS, LALD, AVTAK, and YKMN, all of which broke the mold and deviated from the formula.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    All I can say is my expectations are pretty low going in to this Bond film, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised when I watch the film.

With the exception of the news of Zimmer doing the score, there hasn't been much that has excited me with this film.

1) The trailer felt like this was going to be SPECTRE 2. More of the same from where we last left off. Great news if you loved SP, bad news if you were hoping for another CR.

2) The interviews in Empire magazine with some of the actors sound just like every Bond film post Cubby - strong females up against Bond, personal angst for Bond (again), etc.

3) The choice of artist for the song. I bet right here, right now, that this song will rival QoS and DAD as one of the worst songs of the franchise. The writings on the wall...

4) I think its fairly obvious now that the unused Fleming books are still being untouched and ignored, instead opting for P&W to give us yet another `original' story that will rehash everything we've seen in the Brosnan and Craig era - lots of personal angst and female power struggles. Throw in the Aston Martin DB5 and retro gadgets for good measure.

A reboot with a new actor can't come quick enough for me. Its the one time EON throw out all the stops and try to revert back to basics again.

Like I said, my expectations are fairly low for this film, so I may be in for a surprise...

What are the unused Fleming novels that you’re referencing?

People want the naff brainwashing bits from TMWTGG used, plus bits and pieces from TSWLM etc. It’s mostly dregs, although there might be a couple of bonkers bits from YOLT worth recycling. Most of it isn’t great though.

Yeah, I’m not seeing the inclusion of the Spang brothers as being something that automatically elevates the film. What’s left of Fleming are bits that would make good scenes, but there aren’t anymore stories aside from Bond reconciling over the death of Tracy, which we kinda got with QOS.

Like I said in an earlier post, you could rework the unused Fleming scenes into at least 3 movies, the same way the short stories of OP and TLD were reworked into an entire film, the same way unused key scenes from LALD were reworked into FYEO and LTK.

It's not all about the Spangs (although I'd love to see a return to gangsters in a Bond film).

As for stories - Bond going into the Garden of Death, getting amnesia, being brainwashed and returning to London to kill M, going undercover as Mark Hazard to find his man in Jamaica, there is enough material there to plot the basis of 2 films.

If Cubby and Maibaum were alive today, I'm sure the'd find a way of using this material, instead of retcon crap like Bond and Blofeld being brothers.

It just doesn't sound very good. Any character getting amnesia is an instant eye-rolling terrible plot. You had to sort of get through it in Bourne because the whole thing was built around it, and even then they had to add loads to it to make audiences swallow it.

I personally think it could work - if done correctly (and realistically). Hell, CR worked and that was mainly about Bond outwitting another villain across a gambling table.

Which is a silly plot, yes, but not a cliched, over-used and hackneyed one like a character getting amnesia. Even the cheap soap operas stay away from that one. You’re really not making a great case.

On another forum it has been mentioned that Hans Zimmer and Stephen Lipson were involved in the song. So there may be some 20th century involvement.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,279
    Burgess wrote: »
    All I can say is my expectations are pretty low going in to this Bond film, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised when I watch the film.

With the exception of the news of Zimmer doing the score, there hasn't been much that has excited me with this film.

1) The trailer felt like this was going to be SPECTRE 2. More of the same from where we last left off. Great news if you loved SP, bad news if you were hoping for another CR.

2) The interviews in Empire magazine with some of the actors sound just like every Bond film post Cubby - strong females up against Bond, personal angst for Bond (again), etc.

3) The choice of artist for the song. I bet right here, right now, that this song will rival QoS and DAD as one of the worst songs of the franchise. The writings on the wall...

4) I think its fairly obvious now that the unused Fleming books are still being untouched and ignored, instead opting for P&W to give us yet another `original' story that will rehash everything we've seen in the Brosnan and Craig era - lots of personal angst and female power struggles. Throw in the Aston Martin DB5 and retro gadgets for good measure.

A reboot with a new actor can't come quick enough for me. Its the one time EON throw out all the stops and try to revert back to basics again.

Like I said, my expectations are fairly low for this film, so I may be in for a surprise...

What are the unused Fleming novels that you’re referencing?

People want the naff brainwashing bits from TMWTGG used, plus bits and pieces from TSWLM etc. It’s mostly dregs, although there might be a couple of bonkers bits from YOLT worth recycling. Most of it isn’t great though.

Yeah, I’m not seeing the inclusion of the Spang brothers as being something that automatically elevates the film. What’s left of Fleming are bits that would make good scenes, but there aren’t anymore stories aside from Bond reconciling over the death of Tracy, which we kinda got with QOS.

Like I said in an earlier post, you could rework the unused Fleming scenes into at least 3 movies, the same way the short stories of OP and TLD were reworked into an entire film, the same way unused key scenes from LALD were reworked into FYEO and LTK.

It's not all about the Spangs (although I'd love to see a return to gangsters in a Bond film).

As for stories - Bond going into the Garden of Death, getting amnesia, being brainwashed and returning to London to kill M, going undercover as Mark Hazard to find his man in Jamaica, there is enough material there to plot the basis of 2 films.

If Cubby and Maibaum were alive today, I'm sure the'd find a way of using this material, instead of retcon crap like Bond and Blofeld being brothers.

It just doesn't sound very good. Any character getting amnesia is an instant eye-rolling terrible plot. You had to sort of get through it in Bourne because the whole thing was built around it, and even then they had to add loads to it to make audiences swallow it.

I personally think it could work - if done correctly (and realistically). Hell, CR worked and that was mainly about Bond outwitting another villain across a gambling table.
    Which is a silly plot, yes, but not a cliched, over-used and hackneyed one like a character getting amnesia. Even the cheap soap operas stay away from that one. You’re really not making a great case.

I’m open to anything adapted from Fleming, as long as it’s done authentically and realistically. I can picture now Craig walking in to M’s office, after greeting a nervous looking Moneypenny - ‘there’s something wrong with 007!’

Craig sitting down, pale faced, glazed eyes, casually reaching into his pocket.

I think this would be a brilliant scene, far better than anything in the Brosnan era, and far better than anything from SP.

BTW, it’s not amnesia either. Have you read the novel?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think he's referring to YOLT's ending with Bond's amnesia rather than TMWTGG's brainwashing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Gents, do we not have a thread for this particular discussion?
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 646
    Am I the only one who is troubled when these “kids” sing about Lucifer and Satan?? And then people wonder why the world is nuts today and why so many tragedies happen involving young people. What’s the point of a song like “All Good Girls Go To Hell”? When you sing songs like this you basically make a conscious choice to sell your soul to the devil. It would make my skin crawl to sing some of those lyrics that she sings. “My Lucifer is lonely”. Really??? What compels people today to sing stuff like this??? Nothing more optimistic and positive to sing about? And then we have all these teen suicides rising at such an alarming rate!!! People say “he or she must have been battling demons”. Well, of course! They dedicate their life to these demons.

I’m sorry for this aside but I have a hard time feeling positive about someone like this joining our franchise. Bond singers used to have class. Where is Dame Shirley Bassey?
    @ringfire211 you take things too seriously sometimes.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I wonder if the sentiment of Live and Let Die was too much.
    @ringfire211 you take things too seriously sometimes.

Which is his right I believe, I am not even sure about the choices EON made concerning the music of the next 007, I will let you know what I really think when I have heard either of them. And I am not hopeful but ready to be surprised.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,442
    When i sugest her in 2017 i notice that i vergot to credit ''idontwannabeyouanymore''. Indeed very Bond style and way to go.

But with the more black and white elements in Spectre maintitle (Lucia moments) in mind, it possible there go more like this:

Snow White & the Huntsman end credits.

Daniel Kleinman can't better runed it too. Directer is fan of AVTAK and i hope there get inspyred more from that maintitle, Octopussy or LTK. Minimal and not best maintitle Maurice Binder made, but mabey works for NTTD.

Deary me!! What a mournful, bleak and turgid song that was. Sounds far too EMO for a Bond movie. The titles need to have oomph, not something that sounds like its being played by someone on suicide watch.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157
    Am I the only one who is troubled when these “kids” sing about Lucifer and Satan?? And then people wonder why the world is nuts today and why so many tragedies happen involving young people. What’s the point of a song like “All Good Girls Go To Hell”? When you sing songs like this you basically make a conscious choice to sell your soul to the devil. It would make my skin crawl to sing some of those lyrics that she sings. “My Lucifer is lonely”. Really??? What compels people today to sing stuff like this??? Nothing more optimistic and positive to sing about? And then we have all these teen suicides rising at such an alarming rate!!! People say “he or she must have been battling demons”. Well, of course! They dedicate their life to these demons.

I’m sorry for this aside but I have a hard time feeling positive about someone like this joining our franchise. Bond singers used to have class. Where is Dame Shirley Bassey?

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    2. Lucifer does not exist
    3. Suicides are rising because boomers left the world in a decay as they overpopulated it, destroyed it with pollution and global warming, created ineffective educational systems, put too much pressure on their children and broke the economical system.

But thanks for proving once again how much this world was ruined by religious whataboutism.
    Walecs wrote: »

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    3. Suicides are rising because boomers left the world in a decay as they overpopulated it, destroyed it with pollution and global warming, created ineffective educational systems, put too much pressure on their children and broke the economical system.
    Get off your soapbox, preacherman.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondsum wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    Get off your soapbox, preacherman.

You quoted the wrong person, ringfire is the preacherman.
    Oldsters freaking out over the youth never gets old.
This discussion has been closed.