NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

@ShakenNotStirred

And I would love to see this being made to the big screen (not my best green screen work, but I think some of you might find it a fun watch):
    Zekidk wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    @ColonelSun

Yes, I know you do. I appreciate your insight as well as your criticism on this board. I've been editing for 20 years. You'll find lots of Bond-related stuff on my YT channel.
    Interesting. U have a good eye and timing.

That's because I have the luxury of being able to edit to the music, and chop everything to pieces, like I did with the Bond theme here.

Tarantino said 15 years ago (when marketing for Kill Bill) that "The whole combination of the right piece of music with the right visual image, is one of the most exciting things you can do in movies"

I framed that sentence!

Yes, Tarantino is not wrong about that.

• Excellent work indeed!! Now, why can’t we have trailers like these nowadays?? A trailer like this is basically a celebration of movies!! Unlike the real trailers that we have today which invite you to join them on some kind of doomsday journey. To which I tend to say “no thanks”.

I wish trailers were still done this way and I wish movies were still filmed in the ways of old. With old-school acting and old-school film style and old-school sensibilities. I miss those days. Well, not really. Since the majority of what I watch are actually old films and old TV shows. I don’t watch much of anything modern these days. Something about their presentation just puts me off and makes me flip to another channel. Compare new Hawaii Five-O and old Five-O. I just can’t watch the new one (even if Hawaii looks gorgeous in HD) but show me the original one and I’m glued to the set. Even if the colors don’t pop like in the new one. But I actually prefer the colors and film stock of the old show.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 847
    Well, I've got another french friend who just told me that he believe to have see a new Heinken-007-advert with Craig on TV in a bar...
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,160
    @ringfire211

And changing of the reels every 22 minutes?

I share your sense of nostalgia. Almost all my favorite movies are made before 1996.

And to my eyes a proper mastered 4K scan of a 50 year old movie can look a lot better than a new orange and teal colorgraded blockbuster that's shot digitally. Luckily there's IMAX, which everyone loves.

Computers have made a whole array of new things possible, but for some parts, like intense use of CGI, grading etc... well, let me paraphrase Goldblum in JP1: " they've been so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." ;-)

SP is a perfect example of how a grading can almost ruin the movieexperience for me.
    Here's my attempt at a retro trailer:

I like your trailer more than the official release.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541
    @ShakenNotStirred

And I would love to see this being made to the big screen (not my best green screen work, but I think some of you might find it a fun watch):

This gave me a good laugh, especially the part with Monica bellucci :))
    LOVE the retro trailer but at the same time I realize why it would not work with todays audience. As a companion piece to official trailer something like this would certainly get attention from current audiences.
    Well, I've got another french friend who just told me that he believe to have see a new Heinken-007-advert with Craig on TV in a bar...

Someone else on CBN has also commented they've seen the new Heineken ad as well...

It's kicking off!
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    @ringfire211

And changing of the reels every 22 minutes
    I’m not sure I understand what you meant there.

@ringfire211

Approx 2000 feet of 35mm film makes up a film's single reel (with combined optical and/or digital sound) as it was projected in a cinema and that would take 22 mins to run. At the end of the first reel you may have noticed little black dots pop up on the top right of the screen, those were change-over dots. The first dots (four of them, one on each frame) at 12 feet before the end of the reel, would tell the projectionist to start up the second projector (precisely positioned beside the first projector) and the last set of dots would tell the projectionist to switch to that second projector (now running up to speed @ 24 frames per second) and the next reel, reel 2 of the film, would seamlessly take over as reel 1 came to an end, continuing the film for the audience. While reel 2 would run, the projectionist would take off the completed reel 1 from the first projector and lace up the next reel to follow reel 2, which would be reel 3, on that projector. And that well-oiled system would continue, reel by reel, until the film was finished.

The average film runs between 100min to 2 hours and so, on average, every film had five, 2000 feet-length film reels, all kept in separate 35mm film cans. These days most screenings are digital, so no more 35mm, but if u do see a 35mm projected film, you will experience change-over dots and a reel change at approx every 22 mins.

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Great trailer, @Zekidk .
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    @ringfire211

Approx 2000 feet of 35mm film makes up a film's single reel (with combined optical and/or digital sound) as it was projected in a cinema and that would take 22 mins to run. At the end of the first reel you may have noticed little black dots pop up on the top right of the screen, those were change-over dots. The first dots (four of them, one on each frame) at 12 feet before the end of the reel, would tell the projectionist to start up the second projector (precisely positioned beside the first projector) and the last set of dots would tell the projectionist to switch to that second projector (now running up to speed @ 24 frames per second) and the next reel, reel 2 of the film, would seamlessly take over as reel 1 came to an end, continuing the film for the audience. While reel 2 would run, the projectionist would take off the completed reel 1 from the first projector and lace up the next reel to follow reel 2, which would be reel 3, on that projector. And that well-oiled system would continue, reel by reel, until the film was finished.

The average film runs between 100min to 2 hours and so, on average, every film had five, 2000 feet-length film reels, all kept in separate 35mm film cans. These days most screenings are digital, so no more 35mm, but if u do see a 35mm projected film, you will experience change-over dots and a reel change at approx every 22 mins.
    Oh wow! Thanks. Learn something new every day.
    @ringfire211

@ringfire211 If you've seen Fight Club, you may remember Brad Pitt's character talking about this as well. There's even a fourth-wall-breaking moment when he points to the upper corner of the screen to show the black dot. I sort of miss those dots!
    As seen here:
    @ringfire211

@ringfire211 If you've seen Fight Club, you may remember Brad Pitt's character talking about this as well. There's even a fourth-wall-breaking moment when he points to the upper corner of the screen to show the black dot. I sort of miss those dots!
    Never seen FIGHT CLUB.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    @ringfire211

Never seen FIGHT CLUB.

Why we talking about fight club?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    New mini-video: EON plugging Lashana as 00-agent

• To me, the fact that they’re not disclosing which 00 agent she is all but confirms the 007 rumour.
    I really despise the "World has moved on, Commander" line.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Back to the old "misogynist dinosaur" line.
    delfloria wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Back to the old "misogynist dinosaur" line.

Exactly.
    The thing that most bothers me about that line is just the fact that I'm tired of the theme of how outdated everything is related to MI6. SF, SP, and now NTTD all will have harped on that message. I liked it for SF, but it got old after the first time. Hoping that trend is dropped with B26 and the rest moving forward.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The thing that most bothers me about that line is just the fact that I'm tired of the theme of how outdated everything is related to MI6. SF, SP, and now NTTD all will have harped on that message. I liked it for SF, but it got old after the first time. Hoping that trend is dropped with B26 and the rest moving forward.

I find it hard to judge as we're seeing the line out of context. It may come across slightly differently in the film
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    FoxRox wrote: »

This overall theme in SF was quite annoying. Not because of the theme itself, but because it was too underlined. In SP this theme was softer and at least didn’t affect Bond. SF was an overall film about 007 and M being obsolete.
    It seems NTTD is putting a more positive twist on that though, per Cary's interviews, that the film and the relationship between Bond and Nomi is about legacy and what we pass on to future generations...which seems to imply not only that Nomi is indeed the new 007 in the film, but also that she retains the title by the end of it and it doesn't go back to Bond.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    It seems NTTD is putting a more positive twist on that though, per Cary's interviews, that the film and the relationship between Bond and Nomi is about legacy and what we pass on to future generations...which seems to imply not only that Nomi is indeed the new 007 in the film, but also that she retains the title by the end of it and it doesn't go back to Bond.

That sort of fits with the original female protege 00 agent rumour.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    antovolk wrote: »

I don't know about that we will see.
  • RC7RC7
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

I don't know about that we will see.

There’s no logical reason for him being reassigned as 007 as far as I can see. He began CR without the designation and I think he’ll end NTTD without it too.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Looks like we're in for the first Bond where James is not officially 007 for the entire film.