NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

If Hans can channel Gladiator and Sherlock it should be an interesting ride.
  • I am worried this means the score may be a little rushed.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    matt_u wrote: »
    The dream team is now complete.

Agreed!! I think this is quite some news for NTTD. I’ve often wondered what a Hans Zimmer Bond score would be like. Arnold for me was first choice but Zimmer is quite a land in my opinion - WOW!
    🍸
  • This means that Hans Zimmer is doing the soundtrack to 4 major 2020 films: No Time To Die, Dune, Wonder Woman 1984 and Top Gun: Maverick.

It remains to be seen of course, how much of the work is really Zimmer's.

Zimmer is rather notorious for accepting a lot of movie projects, often with very tight deadlines, which means he occasionally doesn't have the time to contribute that much to the film.

In fact, (as someone with friends who've done a few RCP gigs before) a number of the composers who rose through the RCP ranks got their start by doing uncredited ghostwriting on Zimmer scores.

I must stress I don't personally feel that this will necessarily result in a substandard product, just that it's not a particularly creative move on EON's part.

I certainly hope it will be great, and even if it's not, I've yet to hear an awful RCP score... just a lot of very generic ones.

• QsCatQsCat London
    Why not just get Arnold back? He can't be any busier than Zimmer is now.. I don't know the general consensus on here, but many of you seem to dislike his work. This is the guy that gave us... White Knight! I prefer the music of CR and QoS to that of Newman's.
    What creative differences could there have been which couldn't be worked out?
    I don't expect any real answers to these questions!..
    One thing I'd like from this score (in places) is a sense of FUN at some point, which the music of Craig's films haven't really had.
    Just a few thouguts.
    QsCat wrote: »
    Why not just get Arnold back? He can't be any busier than Zimmer is now.. I don't know the general consensus on here, but many of you seem to dislike his work. This is the guy that gave us... White Knight! I prefer the music of CR and QoS to that of Newman's.
    One thing I'd like from this score (in places) is a sense of FUN at some point, which the music of Craig's films haven't really had.
    Just a few thouguts.

I too wanted Arnold back, and not sure why EON didn't go with him. However, Zimmer is my second choice, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does with a Bond score.
    "MI6 understands that orchestral sessions are currently being recorded for 'No Time To Die'."

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/trades-confirm-hans-zimmer-as-no-time-to-die-composer-200107
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Great news, hopefully Zimmer will bring something new.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And something memorable.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This has to be the end of the road for Cary - he introduced Romer to the production, and it bombed - big time. Heads must roll at Eon, this production has been a trainwreck from day one.

I suggest you stop with the inflammatory nonsense , or your time here is over.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    QsCat wrote: »
    Just a few thouguts.

I too wanted Arnold back, and not sure why EON didn't go with him. However, Zimmer is my second choice, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does with a Bond score.

That makes two of us....coz I really wanted Arnold back. I even wanted him more after his recent music for N.peal's AD. Almost as if Arnold was trying to remind Eon of his Bond scoring ability with that piece. But I've always wanted to hear a Zimmer Bond Score. Coz he's been channeling it subtly in his other scores....must recently in INCEPTION. The closest Zimmer has gotten to working on a Bond thing was producing 'Robbie Williams' 'A Man For All Seasons' for James Bond Spoof 'Johnny English'....and the production of that track made me know Zimmer knows when he's in Spy territory, even if it's a spoof. I also think secretly, Zimmer has always wanted to Score a Bond film....and even if it wasn't now, at some point he was going to score a Bond film. So I expect him to take the project seriously....even if he's likely to work with his fellow RCP composers.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Love zimmer, now is time to watch inception if you’ve never seen it.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »
    "MI6 understands that orchestral sessions are currently being recorded for 'No Time To Die'."

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/trades-confirm-hans-zimmer-as-no-time-to-die-composer-200107

Personally, I’m thrilled.

I am usually that person who talks about getting someone new and exciting – but going overly avant-garde can date a film. I re-watched Goldeneye this weekend and I used to love that score. Now it feels a tad odd…..compare that to the timeless scores of the 1960s. They never get old.

Perhaps, Bond isn’t a brand that affords too much creativity musically…….however, if anyone can take the current form and mould it into something really BIG and LOUD it’s Zimmer.

I personally can’t believe he hasn’t done the score for a Bond film before. Sadly, since his Batman days, he has become a bit of a franchise regular (Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Wonder Woman, Blade Runner, Mission Impossible, Kung Fu Panda, etc). Nonetheless, I really really want to hear a Hans Zimmer scored Bond film…

Who will be the co-composer? Variety have all but confirmed that he’s getting help…..perhaps Lorne Balfe?

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    This means that Hans Zimmer is doing the soundtrack to 4 major 2020 films: No Time To Die, Dune, Wonder Woman 1984 and Top Gun: Maverick.

Hiring a guy who is busy doing 3 other films and not hiring David Arnold, probably means Arnold is finished with Bond for good.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    WW84 is already finished. Dune comes out in 11 months. So him being “busy” is not an issue.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'd rather have Thomas Newman back tbh
    Walecs wrote: »
    I'd rather have Thomas Newman back tbh

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet today (no offence intended).
    edited January 2020 Posts: 871
    matt_u wrote: »
    WW84 is already finished. Dune comes out in 11 months. So him being “busy” is not an issue.

The point I was trying to make is not about Zimmer being unable to do multiple soundtracks, it's about not hiring David Arnold despite Zimmer doing 3 other films. I think it's not that hard to understand.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157
    Both make ambient scores, but at least Newman used the Bond theme. Zimmer is known for being reluctant about using other people's themes.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,279
    Walecs wrote: »
    Both make ambient scores, but at least Newman used the Bond theme. Zimmer is known for being reluctant about using other people's themes.

The Bond theme is a little different though. It's been around for nearly 60 years, and is now an established part of cinema music history. This will be no different to Zimmer reworking the classical piece he did in True Romance in the scene between Walken and Hopper.

He'll be chomping at the bit to work on a Bond score.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Bringing in his guy has CJF's first apparent misstep.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    This means that Hans Zimmer is doing the soundtrack to 4 major 2020 films: No Time To Die, Dune, Wonder Woman 1984 and Top Gun: Maverick.

Hiring a guy who is busy doing 3 other films and not hiring David Arnold, probably means Arnold is finished with Bond for good.

I sincerely hope so.
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I am worried this means the score may be a little rushed.

Most scores are, that's the nature of film composing.

I sincerely hope so.

I was hoping Arnold would return at some point, but after what just happened, I think that ship has sailed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »

Personally, I’m thrilled.

I am usually that person who talks about getting someone new and exciting – but going overly avant-garde can date a film. I re-watched Goldeneye this weekend and I used to love that score. Now it feels a tad odd…..compare that to the timeless scores of the 1960s. They never get old.

Perhaps, Bond isn’t a brand that affords too much creativity musically…….however, if anyone can take the current form and mould it into something really BIG and LOUD it’s Zimmer.

I personally can’t believe he hasn’t done the score for a Bond film before. Sadly, since his Batman days, he has become a bit of a franchise regular (Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Wonder Woman, Blade Runner, Mission Impossible, Kung Fu Panda, etc). Nonetheless, I really really want to hear a Hans Zimmer scored Bond film…

Who will be the co-composer? Variety have all but confirmed that he’s getting help…..perhaps Lorne Balfe?

It'll either be Balfe or Wallfisch, I'd say. Though one can't discount Steve Mazzaro - considering his involvement with The Rhythym Section - either.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

I sincerely hope so.

I was hoping Arnold would return at some point, but after what just happened, I think that ship has sailed.

The Craig era has increasingly brought about higher calibre talent. I think EoN have grown out of Arnold. Maybe Romer was to placate Fukunaga to a degree, and it just didn't work out. Whatever the reasons, I hope he never returns with his Poundshop John Barry schtick. Bond deserves better.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I sincerely hope so.

I'm sure he will at some point in the future.

I sincerely hope so.

If they wanted him back, this was the perfect opportunity. That's why I think they don't want him anymore.

I sincerely hope so.

I hope so, both because he deserves it and because he will shut the naysayers up. The very fact Zimmer can't even bother to score NTTD on his own and needs a co-composer says all about his professionalism.