Can we Petition to Encourage Daniel Craig to stay as Bond?

2»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Please no. He's been 007 for way too long if you'd ask me.

I'm glad we're getting someone new, someone with a bit more fun I hope.

But that's how some, if not many, people felt about Roger Moore being Bond but that doesn't mean his last Bond film wasn't the worst, plus TLD was written with Moore in mind.

It wasn’t, no. Before they’d written TLD they’d first explored a Young Bond script, showing Bond joining the secret service and meeting the old 007. They never had Moore in mind for TLD.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Whether TLD was written for Moore or Dalton, doesn't matter, the actor changes the film. It would have been far lighter in tone with Moore. Drop Dalton into TSWLM instead of Moore, and the film changes in line to Dalton's approach.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dalton wanted to go back to Fleming. He also liked to do some of the physical stuff himself. Like @MajorDSmythe said, a Moore script mightn't have worked if they had Tim in mind.

Say Craig comes back for another film after NTTD, it might steer them in a different direction than if they have to recast first.

About the petition, let us please not go there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    About the petition, let us please not go there.

Agreed. No one will care.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm a massive Daniel Craig fan and I'm not interested in signing it.

The man himself has reached the point that he wants to say goodbye and however much I've enjoyed him in the role and he is my favourite Bond.

Not the best maybe but the one I most prefer. I respect his decision and wait with baited breath for his final bow in April.
  • What about instead of a petition, we put together a “Thank you” note to Barbara and Michael to thank them for producing four great Bond films. We can all sign it, all the fans. This way we show a bit of gratitude what does everyone think? I am happy to coordinate sending around the letter for signing as long as we all chip in for postage costs - I have lots of free time but not muhc money LOL! Lost my job in December.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What about instead of a petition, we put together a “Thank you” note to Barbara and Michael to thank them for producing four great Bond films. We can all sign it, all the fans. This way we show a bit of gratitude what does everyone think? I am happy to coordinate sending around the letter for signing as long as we all chip in for postage costs - I have lots of free time but not muhc money LOL! Lost my job in December.
    I'm on board with that kind of sentiment, @Safin_Unmasked, short of going postal.

My thank you will be the seats I occupy in theaters April-May this year.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    At the risk of digressing a bit, the title of the thread reminds me of The Doors' The Soft Parade which begins:

When I was back there in seminary school
    There was a person there
    Who put forth the proposition
    That you can petition the Lord with prayer.

Petition the Lord with prayer.

Petition the Lord with prayer.

YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!

Come to think of it, maybe I'm not really digressing that much.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Because many of their choices were questionable. I think the money I spent on the tickets and discs is enough on my part to them. They owe me an apology for SP if that’s how we’re settling things.

That's how I see it - it's thank you enough for having spent so much on tickets, discs, memorabilia, etc. I voted with my wallet in regards to SP (despite still seeing it twice) and will likely do the same with NTTD if it doesn't impress me the first go around. I'm ready for the next era, personally.

As for the topic at hand, you can do a petition for anything but there's no way something like this would ever work.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    @Birdleson: I guess it's a shame that most of us only really started to appreciate The Doors after Morrison joined the 27 Club. Before his death, I remember Light My Fire, Love Her Madly and (most of all) Riders on the Storm, but I only got acquainted with most of their not-so-popular oeuvre years later. And admittedly, like Tosca, it's not for everyone.

On a different level, trying to respond to your posting, I found that you apparently linked to some YouTube movie of The Soft Parade. But for some reason, I only saw that when trying to quote you in my answer. It shows nowhere if I merely look at your post. What's wrong?
    Now your link works... and I envy you for actually having hung out with Robbie Krieger.
    Please lets not have DC for another movie but have a new chapter of 007, with less years in between movie. If DC's 5th is halfway decent he did get is swansong after the abysmal SPECTRE
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The only petition I would sign, is for Mr Kippling to bring back the Apple & Custard pies. Bite into them, and the custard oozes out. Like. Edible. Heaven. What the hell, Mr Kippling? Bring them back.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The only petition I would sign, is for Mr Kippling to bring back the Apple & Custard pies. Bite into them, and the custard oozes out. Like. Edible. Heaven. What the hell, Mr Kippling? Bring them back.

I'll sign that. Make it so.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

I support your worthy notion Major.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Can you petition? Yes. Will it work? No.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

What an exceedingly good idea.
    You must excuse me, gentlemen; not being English, I sometimes find your sense of humour rather difficult to follow!

Is "Kippling" the same sort as "Flemming"? (SCNR)
    NicNac wrote: »

I'll sign that. Make it so.
    royale65 wrote: »
    I support your worthy notion Major.
    What an exceedingly good idea.

Ah, I see that I am not alone in mouring the loss of Apple & Custard pies from Mr Kippling. I think we should set up a support group.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If NTTD turns out great, I would want Craig to leave on that high note. Let him cash in his chips.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If NTTD turns out great, I would want Craig to leave on that high note. Let him cash in his chips.

My thinking exactly @MakeshiftPython -- he's been a great Bond. And if the swagger about NTTD is genuine (I have no doubt it is genuine), then let the man walk into the sunset!
    Arguably, no actor has ended their run without a Bond film that’s been seen as polarizing (DAF, AVTAK, LTK, DAD), so I would hope that trend breaks with Craig. Even though SP was thought of as a possible swan song for Craig, it was telling that he never seemed certain of that, probably because he had mixed feelings on that film and didn’t want to leave the series with a film that had mixed reactions.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Arguably, no actor has ended their run without a Bond film that’s been seen as polarizing (DAF, AVTAK, LTK, DAD), so I would hope that trend breaks with Craig. Even though SP was thought of as a possible swan song for Craig, it was telling that he never seemed certain of that, probably because he had mixed feelings on that film and didn’t want to leave the series with a film that had mixed reactions.

I don't remember who said it recently on this site, but Craig is a well known perfectionist. He already has enough money to last several lifetimes x 5 more; before NTTD, he had projects lined up, including a series that he would have starred in and produced (Purity). With a dance card that was easily going to be filled, he really didn't need to come back to Bond.

But he did.

He's cementing his legacy.

He has learned from the past and doesn't want to stick around for one more. So...

He's in great shape (I'd say his lean figure appears more healthy than in Spectre five years before (but then again, he was on a busted leg for most of the shoot)). In the little we have seen in the NTTD trailer, he looks more engaged than in all of the scenes in Spectre (once again, if you've ever had a serious knee injury, the constant/chronic pain really sucks all energy from you); Cary was an inspired and exciting choice to write and direct. And with his skills as a story-teller, joining the likes of PWB and Scott Burns (with assists to P&W), there should be true depth to the actual story. It won't be as "surface" as some of our guesses on this site have been.

And Malek will be a treat. He will be evil. He will hurt Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Even the most optimistic of us are @Birdleson ...

Personally, when a film begins that I’m emotionally involved in (whether Bond or not), I have a brief anxiety issue: I hope I like this new film .

If it be a franchise, and the last entry was weak, it’s only natural to be very cautious of the following film...
    I've been cautiously optimistic for a while. Admittedly I was quite pessimistic and unhappy when Boyle first left and we got a second delay, but there's a lot to be excited about IMO. The cast looks stellar, the cinematography looks incredible, the action seems to be very intense (can't tell for certain, but it's looking more exciting than SP's from a first look). There are no guarantees though, and SP was disappointing compared to the rest of the era, so the potential trend of continuing that is scary. Overall though, I am relatively confident NTTD will be better than SP, but never 100% sure...
    Even if it is weak, statistically speaking, the next film with a new actor is usually an uptick from their predecessor’s last film, probably because with the debut the filmmakers are subconsciously pushed to make the best possible film they can. DN, OHMSS, AVTAK, TLD, GE, and CR are all arguably strong debuts with everyone giving their all because those are the most important ones.

If NTTD, turns out to be one of the best of the series, then EON is really gonna have to up their game with whoever gets the gig, beyond just following how the other debuts were.
    I think it’ll be better than Spectre, a lot of the trailer while exciting had a been there done that vibe to it.

The film is more American feeling and seems to be grounded more realistically.

Compare the stylish teaser posters of Craig dressed and real glossy and neat in Spectre to his look in the NTTD posters, combat ready and the visceral blue wall one.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    With all due respect to the OP I can't see this particular thread going anywhere, and is in fact turning into another 'Do you have any concerns thread'. Therefore I'm going to close it.
    If the member who started it feels it still has legs then do PM me to discuss.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/19252/do-you-have-any-concerns-or-niggles-about-nttd-or-are-you-full-of-confidence#latest

This discussion has been closed.