Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• No Time To Die’s Lashana Lynch Responds To 007 Rumours
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/lashana-lynch-responds-007-rumours-no-time-to-die-bond-cary-fukunaga/

no-time-to-die-lashana.jpg?quality=50&width=1300&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg

James Bond is far from cinema’s most progressive hero – but the Daniel Craig era has largely sought to bring 007 into a new age, challenging and exploring his formerly cavalier attitude to certain things, women among them. And it seems that No Time To Die could shake Bond up more than ever, with one long-swirling rumour suggesting that Lashana Lynch’s incoming new 00-agent Nomi might actually have the 007 mantle at the start of the film.

Speaking in Empire’s world exclusive No Time To Die issue, Lynch responded to the rumour-mill and the wider conversation that has sprung from the prospect of a black, female 007 being part of the 25th Bond movie – though she wouldn’t confirm or deny if that was the case. “I can say that, though the reactions to such a rumour have been varied, I love that the conversation is even happening,” she says. “And I think that’s really exciting for long-running fans, new fans, but also young people that would potentially have that as not even an idea, as something that is just normal for them. That’s really special for me. Whether something like that is happening or not as a fact, at this point doesn’t even matter for me. The conversation is enough. As a fly on the social-media wall, it’s bleedin’ brilliant.”
  • RC7RC7
    No Time To Die’s Lashana Lynch Responds To 007 Rumours
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/lashana-lynch-responds-007-rumours-no-time-to-die-bond-cary-fukunaga/

no-time-to-die-lashana.jpg?quality=50&width=1300&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg

James Bond is far from cinema’s most progressive hero – but the Daniel Craig era has largely sought to bring 007 into a new age, challenging and exploring his formerly cavalier attitude to certain things, women among them. And it seems that No Time To Die could shake Bond up more than ever, with one long-swirling rumour suggesting that Lashana Lynch’s incoming new 00-agent Nomi might actually have the 007 mantle at the start of the film.

Speaking in Empire’s world exclusive No Time To Die issue, Lynch responded to the rumour-mill and the wider conversation that has sprung from the prospect of a black, female 007 being part of the 25th Bond movie – though she wouldn’t confirm or deny if that was the case. “I can say that, though the reactions to such a rumour have been varied, I love that the conversation is even happening,” she says. “And I think that’s really exciting for long-running fans, new fans, but also young people that would potentially have that as not even an idea, as something that is just normal for them. That’s really special for me. Whether something like that is happening or not as a fact, at this point doesn’t even matter for me. The conversation is enough. As a fly on the social-media wall, it’s bleedin’ brilliant.”

What does she mean by ‘young people that would potentially have that as not even an idea, as something that is just normal for them’? It might be just that it reads a little clunky.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,164
    RC7 wrote: »
    No Time To Die’s Lashana Lynch Responds To 007 Rumours

What does she mean by ‘young people that would potentially have that as not even an idea, as something that is just normal for them’? It might be just that it reads a little clunky.

Basically those who only grew up on Craig's era and/or maybe NTTD itself, those without the nostalgic/historical baggage or previous attachment to the franchise, that wouldn't be immediately concerned by someone else other than Bond taking the 007 designation.

• OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I've recently come up with a theory, that if Lashana Lynch's character ends up being a villain, any and all "woke" or "sjw" movement mumbo jumbo will be unimportant. I sadly doubt this will be the case, but anything's possible; however, if Ana de Armas' character turns out being CIA, then she'll more than likely be Bond's ally. What would be the point of having them both as protagonists? Lastly, if that commando scene from the trailer is Blofeld's "prison break," it's possible that Lashana is indeed a double, double-O agent. I REALLY hope that ends up being true.
  • OOWolf wrote: »
    I've recently come up with a theory, that if Lashana Lynch's character ends up being a villain, any and all "woke" or "sjw" movement mumbo jumbo will be unimportant. I sadly doubt this will be the case, but anything's possible; however, if Ana de Armas' character turns out being CIA, then she'll more than likely be Bond's ally. What would be the point of having them both as protagonists? Lastly, if that commando scene from the trailer is Blofeld's "prison break," it's possible that Lashana is indeed a double, double-O agent. I REALLY hope that ends up being true.

And I do not. One "00" traitor ("006") is enough.

• OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Librarian wrote: »

And I do not. One "00" traitor ("006") is enough.

Pretty sure 'GoldenEye' is a different timeline. Wish it were not, but it seems that anything is fair game for what's left of Craig's run.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There’s been a traitor of sorts within the government in every Bond film of Craig’s run. I rather they not go that route.

Honestly though, why do some here want Lynch to be a villain? Why can’t she just be a competent and reliable 00 agent?
    Honestly though, why do some here want Lynch to be a villain? Why can’t she just be a competent and reliable 00 agent?

Some fans likely take offence by the fact she's (likely to be) 007 – and the fact that Nomi being just a competent and reliable 00 agent will only be a "woke" thing…

I see no issue with either though. Will be interesting to see how it plays out on screen.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,025
    Man, if GE came out today it would get savaged by those who seem really triggered by SJW politics.

“They turned M into a woman and she called Bond a misogynist! #NotMyBondFilm”
    Man, if GE came out today it would get savaged by those who seem really triggered by SJW politics.

Indeed!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Good point. Time for us all to retroactively hate GoldenEye.
    “How DARE the filmmakers feature Moneypenny having a date with anyone besides Bond! She should only exist to pine for Bond, tearfully at her desk!”
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    OOWolf wrote: »

@OOWolf Arma De Armas is a CIA agent. Is Lynch in that what ever that is we really haven't figured out what that scene is it does appear lynch is in that scene whatever it is.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Bond isn't a Miss Ogynist, so they would be right there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Minion wrote: »

The political correctness was extensively made fun of at the time. But that was it, there was no outrage.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I think that raid on that building is the shard in London funny enough they wanted to use that building for Skyfall. https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10030
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    M putting Bond in line, in 'GoldenEye' is completely different to any "woke" nonsense. Dench's M intelligently challenged Bond, and their dynamic made things quite interesting. Didn't stop the film from having a dominatrix freak like Xenia, a mistress named Irina or Bond getting frisky with more than one woman.
    M putting Bond in line, in 'GoldenEye' is completely different to any "woke" nonsense. Dench's M intelligently challenged Bond, and their dynamic made things quite interesting. Didn't stop the film from having a dominatrix freak like Xenia, a mistress named Irina or Bond getting frisky with more than one woman.

So essentially we agree that the subset of Bond fans who negatively react to stuff like the new 007 being a female character are just a bunch of over-sensitive man babies who need to learn to chill out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,949
    There’s been a traitor of sorts within the government in every Bond film of Craig’s run. I rather they not go that route.

Yeah, right at the beginning when we were guessing she might be 007 I thought she might turn out bad just so they can end it with him getting the number back, but the more I see of her the less I think she'll be a baddie. Doesn't she look great in that shot from Empire where she's standing in the corridor, one hand in her pocket? She looks in control.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,400

Really?
    • A male colleague actively denigrates the female M behind her back. Only to appear meek when she appears.
    • The female M calls Bond an antiquated relic and a misogynist
    • Moneypenny tells Bond his behaviour towards her amounts to sexual harassment in the workplace. Which it arguably does.
    • The female lead wears a cardigan and is a computer nerd with her own plot.
    • Your so-called 'dominatrix freak' is a sexually liberated woman (the first to ever get a real sex scene in a Bond film) who takes as much pleasure from sex than any man. She enjoys sex and is empowered by it. Granted she is a female character created by a male writer. Nonetheless, she's sexually very woke.

Goldeneye was woke, face it.

Here Famke talk about the character here:
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's so much irony in this thread that I've lost track of who's being serious! :) No one is saying GoldenEye is bad for any of that are they?
  • No Time To Die’s Lashana Lynch Responds To 007 Rumours

Absolutely LOVE this quote from Lysana Lynch. That is the perfect way to deal with the rumours about her being 007! I've always wondered and i guess now is as good a time to ask but, is Lycnh a stage name? --- if so, it seems inaporooriate given the histiry in the USA about that!!!! Sorry I mean no offence, just a thought that i am curious about.

She would be perfect cast in a movie idea i had about two grifters, one black (Lynch) and one asian who recently lost his job as a writer of code/programmer (based on my own experiences). I'm seriously out of pocket at the moment and jobless hence why i have time to post her
  • Minion wrote: »

The political correctness was extensively made fun of at the time. But that was it, there was no outrage.

It was certainly on people's mind back in 1995. We just hadn't evolved to the stage where Twitter outrage existed and toxic fanboys bleat on about their 'childhood'. People either didn't care enough or took a 'wait and see' approach.

Evidence can be found throughout this insightful video on Youtube. In particular listed to the news report at 7:12 minutes. He explicitly talks about 'PC' culture

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Minion wrote: »

It was certainly on people's mind back in 1995. We just hadn't evolved to the stage where Twitter outrage existed and toxic fanboys bleat on about their 'childhood'. People either didn't care enough or took a 'wait and see' approach.

Evidence can be found throughout this insightful video on Youtube. In particular listed to the news report at 7:12 minutes. He explicitly talks about 'PC' culture

Goddamn media. 25 years later and nothing has changed (except for the Bond films)
    But they know they have a story and attention when they keep calling Bond a mysoginist.

Here Famke talk about the character here:

Now i realize that Xenia was a proto-Nomi. First two scenes we see her in are racing, then gambling. Shooting guns... trying to 'seduce' Bond and him being the reluctant one haha... it's like a mirror image.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    9ls4oVt.jpg
    uuKvYXg.jpg
    snDtn7n.jpg
    hTTF0AU.jpg
    VNqrDTq.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Contraband wrote: »
    9ls4oVt.jpg
    uuKvYXg.jpg
    snDtn7n.jpg
    hTTF0AU.jpg
    VNqrDTq.jpg

That Greg Williams guy has the best job in the world.
    The more I think about it, the more I don't like Nomi's character. What kind of professional threatens to shot another agent? It wasn't sarcasm in the trailer; she was totally serious about putting a cap in his knee. Who does that?!? Aren't they on the same side? For real, that's messed up. It supposed to seem pithy and hip but it comes off as unprofessional, insecure, and ridiculous if you really think about it.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I don't like Nomi's character. What kind of professional threatens to shot another agent? It wasn't sarcasm in the trailer; she was totally serious about putting a cap in his knee. Who does that?!? Aren't they on the same side? For real, that's messed up. It supposed to seem pithy and hip but it comes off as unprofessional, insecure, and ridiculous if you really think about it.

So you’ve basically already made up your mind before watching the whole film.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

So you’ve basically already made up your mind before watching the whole film.

I think that goes for a lot of people…
    And the beauty of it is they’ll all see it, even the ones that claim they wouldn’t.