Your Favorite Films?

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Heat's a belter some of the best gun sound effects in film history.

Heat, together with Collateral, made me fall in love with LA.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Heat's a belter some of the best gun sound effects in film history.

That's because they used the actual sounds of the guns while filming. Mann's director commentary is really informative.
    I'll try a top 10 all time favorites:

1. THE BIG SLEEP (1946)
    2. OUT OF THE PAST (1947)
    3. GOLDFINGER
    4. DRACULA (1958)
    5. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
    6. CASABLANCA (1942)
    7. THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
    8. THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH (1955)
    9. GOODFELLAS (1990)
    10. WHITE HEAT (1949)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 984
    Top 5 non Bond films, is a tough one.
    In no particular order.

Jaws: Highly regarded, by some, including myself, as the ultimate thriller. Or some would say ultimate horror.
    The existential terror of what lies beneath the sea has never been done better. Beautifully shot, masterfully acted, and with the most intimidating soundtrack of all time. You could play the theme on a beach now, and I guarantee you everyone would get out of the water. That's power that few films can match.

Blade Runner: A strange, minimalist film, that requires much thought from the viewer. And pound for pound, it may still be the most visually spectacular film of all time. My wife watched it for the first time recently, and she couldn't believe it was made in the 80's. A triumph of restrained storytelling and visual splendour.

Those are two from the top of my head. I will have to sit and filter through my top 10 to truly get to the next three.
    With no particular order, but ten nonetheless:

Empire of the Sun
    Casablanca
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Prestige
    From Russia with Love
    The English Patient
    Vertigo
    Blade Runner
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Phantom Thread
    Univex wrote: »

Empire of the Sun
    Casablanca
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Prestige
    From Russia with Love
    The English Patient
    Vertigo
    Blade Runner
    Phantom Thread

Good to see Phantom Thread on your list @Univex

What a fascinating film. Amazing acting and beautifully shot.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665

Empire of the Sun
    Casablanca
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Prestige
    From Russia with Love
    The English Patient
    Vertigo
    Blade Runner
    Phantom Thread

A perfect little piece of cinema that sadly passed under everyone's radar. It should have been a bigger mark, being Day-Lewis final work, having that cinematography and direction, all by Paul Thomas Anderson, and that writing - when do we see that sort of writing nowadays? It's a brilliant little gem. As is, for example, The Danish Girl, or The King's Speech, or The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Best Offer, Final Portrait,... . All more recent entries I'd gladly add to that list. When people say cinema is dead nowadays, I urge them to go see these.

Empire of the Sun
    Casablanca
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Prestige
    From Russia with Love
    The English Patient
    Vertigo
    Blade Runner
    Phantom Thread

A perfect little piece of cinema that sadly passed under everyone's radar. It should have been a bigger mark, being Day-Lewis final work, having that cinematography and direction, all by Paul Thomas Anderson, and that writing - when do we see that sort of writing nowadays? It's a brilliant little gem. As is, for example, The Danish Girl, or The King's Speech, or The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Best Offer, Final Portrait,... . All more recent entries I'd gladly add to that list. When people say cinema is dead nowadays, I urge them to go see these.

Exactly. It's the sort of gem that goes mostly unseen these days. Except for us lucky great film connoisseur's ! 😁
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It's nice to think of favorite films this time of year.
    My list would be over 50 easily, so I'll just list a few off the top of my head; no order really.

Miracle on 34th Street (original, of course)
    Charade
    Cinema Paradiso
    Chocolat
    Inception
    The Matrix
    The American
    Shakespeare In Love
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Muppet's Christmas Carol (yes, really)
    A Christmas Carol (with Alistair Sim)
    Blade Runner (haven't seen the new one yet; I hear it's fantastic)
    Hey, someone else who likes Dirty Rotten Scoundrels! Cool
    @4EverBonded
    The Prestige (2006).
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Okay, I'll play along! In rough order of preference, my approximate Top Ten:

10: Dr. No The original, and still the best!
    9: Citizen Kane. Let's be honest: unless The Godfather is playing on another channel, this is the best thing on TV.
    8: Mad Max 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR Enough said!!!
    7: Apocalypse Now. The original cut, please.
    6: 2001: A Space Odyssey. Overlong and under-stuffed? Shit, I don't know! But I love this fucking movie!!
    5: Mad Max 4: FURY ROAD. This is the best movie ever made... but my Top Four edge it out for sentimental reasons.
    4: Jaws. Maybe the most perfect movie, ever.
    3: The Movie Formerly Known as "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (a.k.a. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). The original, and still the best.
    2: The Movie Formerly Known as "Star Wars" (a.k.a. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope). The best, and still original.
    1: Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and love the Bomb. Hilarious. Suspenseful. Profound. What more can anyone want in a movie?

9: Citizen Kane. Let's be honest: unless The Godfather is playing on another channel, this is the best thing on TV.
    6: 2001: A Space Odyssey. Overlong and under-stuffed? Shit, I don't know! But I love this fucking movie!!
    5: Mad Max 4: FURY ROAD. This is the best movie ever made... but my Top Four edge it out for sentimental reasons.
    3: The Movie Formerly Known as "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (a.k.a. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). The original, and still the best.
    2: The Movie Formerly Known as "Star Wars" (a.k.a. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope). The best, and still original.
    1: Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and love the Bomb. Hilarious. Suspenseful. Profound. What more can anyone want in a movie?

Not too shabby at all. Agree on Jaws 👍

Not too shabby at all. Agree on Jaws 👍

Still Spielbergs best Directed movie, imo.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    As the year comes to an end my very favourite films at this particular moment are (ranked chronologically) :

LADRI DI BICICLETTE (1948)
    Vittorio De Sica
    THE THIRD MAN (1949)
    Carol Reed

PETER PAN (1953)
    Clyde Geronimo, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske

L'AVVENTURA (1960)
    Michelangelo Antonioni
    LA NOTTE (1961)
    Michelangelo Antonioni
    THUNDERBALL (1965)
    Terence Young
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
    Peter R. Hunt

BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971)
    Seth Holt
    SUSPIRIA (1977)
    Dario Argento
    REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER (1978)
    Blake Edwards
    DEATH ON THE NILE (1978)
    John Guillermin
    NOSFERATU: PHANTOM DER NACHT (1979)
    Werner Herzog
    STALKER (1979)
    Andrei Tarkovsky
    APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
    Francis Ford Coppola

TENEBRE (1982)
    Dario Argento
    PHENOMENA (1985)
    Dario Argento
    MANHUNTER (1986)
    Michael Mann
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987)
    John Glen
    LICENCE TO KILL (1989)
    John Glen

NIKITA (1990)
    Luc Besson
    THE EXORCIST III (1990)
    William Peter Blatty
    GOLDENEYE (1995)
    Martin Campbell
    THE MASK OF ZORRO (1998)
    Martin Campbell

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001)
    Peter Jackson
    GOOD BYE, LENIN! (2003)
    Wolfgang Becker
    ALEXANDER (2004)
    Oliver Stone
    DAS LEBEN DER ANDEREN (2006)
    Florian Henkel von Donnersmarck
    QUANTUM OF SOLACE (2008)
    Marc Forster

BARBARA (2012)
    Christian Petzold
    ATOMIC BLONDE (2017)
    David Leitch
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    As the year comes to an end my very favourite films at this particular moment are (ranked chronologically) :

LADRI DI BICICLETTE (1948)
    Vittorio De Sica
    THE THIRD MAN (1949)
    Carol Reed

PETER PAN (1953)
    Clyde Geronimo, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske

L'AVVENTURA (1960)
    Michelangelo Antonioni
    LA NOTTE (1961)
    Michelangelo Antonioni
    THUNDERBALL (1965)
    Terence Young
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
    Peter R. Hunt

BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971)
    Seth Holt
    SUSPIRIA (1977)
    Dario Argento
    REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER (1978)
    Blake Edwards
    DEATH ON THE NILE (1978)
    John Guillermin
    NOSFERATU: PHANTOM DER NACHT (1979)
    Werner Herzog
    STALKER (1979)
    Andrei Tarkovsky
    APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
    Francis Ford Coppola

TENEBRE (1982)
    Dario Argento
    PHENOMENA (1985)
    Dario Argento
    MANHUNTER (1986)
    Michael Mann
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987)
    John Glen
    LICENCE TO KILL (1989)
    John Glen

NIKITA (1990)
    Luc Besson
    THE EXORCIST III (1990)
    William Peter Blatty
    GOLDENEYE (1995)
    Martin Campbell
    THE MASK OF ZORRO (1998)
    Martin Campbell

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001)
    Peter Jackson
    GOOD BYE, LENIN! (2003)
    Wolfgang Becker
    ALEXANDER (2004)
    Oliver Stone
    DAS LEBEN DER ANDEREN (2006)
    Florian Henkel von Donnersmarck
    QUANTUM OF SOLACE (2008)
    Marc Forster

BARBARA (2012)
    Christian Petzold
    ATOMIC BLONDE (2017)
    David Leitch

Nice to see some love for Exorcist III, a very underrated film. Has one of the greatest scares ever put to film.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665
    I forgot to add 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita and Ieri Oggi Domani. First two from Fellini and the second by De Sica.

Also, lots of love for Peter Weir's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.
    [quote=REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER (1978)
    Blake Edwards [/quote]

@GoldenGun really nice list overall. I love all those Pink Panther movies, especially the original (and still the best): 1963's The Pink Panther was a sophisticated sex farce/caper comedy, an international production with an all-star cast. It's from the director of Breakfast at Tiffany's, and it shows: classy and elegant, with just a touch of slapstick. The breakout character of course was Clouseau, who got the spin-off/sequel in 1964's A Shot in the Dark, which for my money remains one of the Top Ten Funniest Movies Ever Made. The followups are a mixed bag at best (the less said about 1968's Inspector Clouseau, the better), but I do think that they managed to successfully re-bottle the lightning in 1975's The Return of the Pink Panther - it is like a remake of the caper aspects of the original, with the focus on the Inspector this time. I even like Christopher Plummer better than David Niven: more masculine, more threatening.

That said... REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER (1978) Really??? Strange choice, Goldie. Strange choice.
    @DrunkIrishPoet It is, isn't?
    First of all, I like all the Sellers films in the series. Conversely, I've never seen a good one without him.
    Nevertheless, I've always been a big Niven fan as well. He made CR67 bearable for me and I missed him dearly as Charles in Return. Maybe that's why I rate that one the lowest of all the Sellers entries.
    My favourite could also have been Strikes Again with its many spy film tropes. Revenge might not be the most popular of them but I haven't laughed harder with any other film than with that one. Not only my favourite Panther, quite possibly my favourite comedy.

For the sake of completism, I would rank them thusly:
    1. Revenge of the Pink Panther
    2. The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    3. A Shot in the Dark
    4. The Pink Panther
    5. Trail of the Pink Panther
    6. Return of the Pink Panther

Quite like all of these. Of the rest of the series I never watched Inspector Clouseau or Son of the Pink Panther, but neither Curse of the Pink Panther nor the horrible Steve Martin ones motivate me to go out of Peter Seller's territory.
    First of all, I like all the Sellers films in the series. Conversely, I've never seen a good one without him.
    Nevertheless, I've always been a big Niven fan as well. He made CR67 bearable for me and I missed him dearly as Charles in Return. Maybe that's why I rate that one the lowest of all the Sellers entries.
    My favourite could also have been Strikes Again with its many spy film tropes. Revenge might not be the most popular of them but I haven't laughed harder with any other film than with that one. Not only my favourite Panther, quite possibly my favourite comedy.

3. A Shot in the Dark
    4. The Pink Panther

Quite like all of these. Of the rest of the series I never watched Inspector Clouseau or Son of the Pink Panther, but neither Curse of the Pink Panther nor the horrible Steve Martin ones motivate me to go out of Peter Seller's territory.

Ah, we differ on them. RETURN is my absolute favourite, great opening robbery, Sellers on top form with hilarious set pieces, the lovely Catherine Schell,the suave Christopher Plummer, Herbert Lom,
    A Shot in the Dark would be a close second!
    Return might not be my favourite but I still enjoy it :)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

3. A Shot in the Dark
    4. The Pink Panther

Ah, we differ on them. RETURN is my absolute favourite, great opening robbery, Sellers on top form with hilarious set pieces, the lovely Catherine Schell,the suave Christopher Plummer, Herbert Lom,

Is RETURN the one with the diamond robbery at the start? I'm not too familiar when matching the films to the titles.

Catherine Schell is indeed lovely. Also in our very own OHMSS..!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

3. A Shot in the Dark
    4. The Pink Panther

Is RETURN the one with the diamond robbery at the start? I'm not too familiar when matching the films to the titles.

Catherine Schell is indeed lovely. Also in our very own OHMSS..!

Correct...ON both counts!
    Forget to mention the running joke about Graham Stark and his fingers getting broke! Stark, a good friend of Sellers, is also a regular of the series!
    @GoldenGun @Mathis1 @LeonardPine I have taken the liberty of creating a Pink Panther Thread, so that we don't clog up @Creasy47 's Favorite Films Thread with a bunch of Panther chatter. Lord knows I can go on all day about my second-favorite film series.
    Only just read this, but it was indeed a very good idea. I'll be revisiting that thread quite a lot in the future. Thanks!
    Another attempy at narrowing things down:

Top 40 (ranked chronologically):

Ladri di biciclette
    aka BICYCLE THIEVES
    Italy, 1948
    Directed by Vittorio De Sica,
    With Lamberto Maggiorani & Enzo Staiola,
    Music by Alessandro Cicognini.

THE THIRD MAN
    UK, 1949
    Directed by Carol Reed,
    With Joseph Cotton & Orson Welles,
    Music by Anton Karas.

PETER PAN
    USA, 1953
    Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske,
    With Bobby Driscoll & Hans Conried,
    Music by Oliver Wallace.

DRACULA
    UK, 1958
    Directed by Terence Fisher,
    With Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing,
    Music by James Bernard.

L' AVVENTURA
    Italy, 1960
    Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni,
    With Monica Vitti & Gabriele Ferzetti,
    Music by Giovanni Fusco.

LA NOTTE
    Italy, 1961
    With Marcello Mastroianni & Monica Vitti,
    Music by Giorgio Gaslini.

L' ECLISSE
    Italy, 1962
    With Monica Vitti & Alain Delon,
    Music by Giovanni Fusco.

​8 1⁄2
    Italy, 1963
    Directed by Federico Fellini,
    With Marcello Mastroianni & Claudia Cardinale,
    Music by Nino Rota.

THUNDERBALL
    UK, 1965
    Directed by Terence Young,
    With Sean Connery & Claudine Auger,
    Music by John Barry.

Ostře sledované vlaky
    aka CLOSELY OBSERVED TRAINS
    Czechoslovakia, 1966
    Directed by Jiří Menzel,
    With Václav Neckář & Jitka Scoffin,
    Music by Jiří Šust.

LE SAMOURAÏ
    France, 1967
    Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville,
    With Alain Delon & François Périer,
    Music by François de Roubaix.

THE LION IN WINTER
    UK, 1968
    Directed by Anthony Harvey,
    With Peter O'Toole & Katherine Hepburn,
    Music by John Barry.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
    USA/UK, 1968
    Directed by Stanley Kubrick,
    With Keir Dullea & Gary Lockwood,
    Music by various artists.

C'era una volta il west
    aka ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
    Italy/Spain, 1968
    Directed by Sergio Leone,
    With Claudia Cardinale & Charles Bronson,
    Music by Ennio Morricone.

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
    UK,1969
    Directed by Peter Hunt,
    With George Lazenby & Diana Rigg,
    Music by John Barry.

THE GODFATHER
    USA, 1972
    Directed by Francis Ford Coppola,
    With Marlon Brando & Al Pacino,
    Music by Nino Rota.

Chi l'ha vista morire?
    aka WHO SAW HER DIE?
    Italy, 1972
    Directed by Aldo Lado,
    With George Lazenby & Anita Strindberg,
    Music by Ennio Morricone.

La dama rossa uccide 7 volte
    aka THE RED QUEEN KILLS SEVEN TIMES
    Italy, 1972
    Directed by Emilio P. Miraglia,
    With Barbara Bouchet & Ugo Pagliai,
    Music by Bruno Nicolai.

THE GODFATHER: PART II
    USA, 1974
    Directed by Francis Ford Coppola,
    With Al Pacino & Robert De Niro,
    Music by Nino Rota.

L' innocente
    aka THE INNOCENT
    Italy, 1976
    Directed by Luchino Visconti,
    With Giancarlo Giannini & Laura Antonelli,
    Music by Franco Mannino.

SUSPIRIA
    Italy, 1977
    Directed by Dario Argento,
    With Jessica Harper & Joan Bennett,
    Music by Goblin.

STALKER
    USSR, 1979
    Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky,
    With Aleksandr Kaydanovskiy & Anatoliy Solonitsyn,
    Music by Eduard Artemiev.

DAS BOOT
    West Germany, 1981
    Directed by Wolfgang Petersen,
    With Jürgen Prochnow & Herbert Grönemeyer,
    Music by Klaus Doldinger.

TENEBRE
    Italy, 1982
    With Anthony Franciosa & Daria Nicolidi,
    Music by Simonetti/Pignatelli/Morante.

OCTOPUSSY
    UK, 1983
    Directed by John Glen,
    With Roger Moore & Maud Adams,
    Music by John Barry.

BODY DOUBLE
    USA, 1984
    Directed by Brian De Palma,
    With Craig Wasson & Melanie Griffith,
    Music by Pino Donaggio.

PHENOMENA
    Italy, 1985
    With Jennifer Connelly & Daria Nicolidi,
    Music by Goblin.

MANHUNTER
    USA, 1986
    Directed by Michael Mann,
    With William Petersen & Tom Noonan,
    Music by Michel Rubini & The Reds.

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    UK, 1987
    Directed by John Glen,
    With Timothy Dalton & Maryam d'Abo,
    Music by John Barry.

Le grand bleu
    aka THE BIG BLUE
    France, 1988
    Directed by Luc Besson,
    With Jean-Marc Barr & Jean Reno,
    Music by Éric Serra.

LICENCE TO KILL
    UK/Mexico, 1989
    Directed by John Glen,
    With Timothy Dalton & Carey Lowell,
    Music by Michael Kamen.

Nikita
    aka LA FEMME NIKITA
    France, 1991
    Directed by Luc Besson,
    With Anne Parillaud & Tchéky Karyo,
    Music by Éric Serra.

Léon
    aka LÉON: THE PROFESSIONAL
    France, 1994
    Directed by Luc Besson,
    With Jean Reno & Natalie Portman,
    Music by Éric Serra.

Par-dela les nuages/Al di là delle nuvole
    aka BEYOND THE CLOUDS
    France/Italy/Germany, 1995
    Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni (& Wim Wenders),
    With John Malkovich & Sophie Marceau,
    Music by various artists.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
    New Zealand/USA, 2001
    Directed by Peter Jackson,
    With Elijah Wood & Viggo Mortensen,
    Music by Howard Shore.

GOOD BYE, LENIN!
    Germany, 2003
    Directed by Wolfgang Becker,
    With Daniel Brühl & Katrin Sass,
    Music by Yann Tiersen.

ALEXANDER
    USA/Germany, 2004
    Directed by Oliver Stone,
    With Colin Farrell & Angelina Jolie,
    Music by Vangelis.

DAS LEBEN DER ANDEREN
    Germany, 2006
    Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck,
    With Ulrich Mühe & Sebastian Koch,
    Music by Gabriel Yared.

La pazza gioia
    aka LIKE CRAZY
    Italy, 2016
    Directed by Paolo Virzì,
    With Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi & Micaela Ramazzotti,
    Music by Paolo Virzì.

CHERNOBYL
    USA/UK, 2019
    Directed by Johan Renck,
    With Jared Harris & Stellan Skarsgård,
    Music by Hildur Guðnadóttir.

• DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    BondStu wrote: »
    My All Time Top Ten

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. E.T The Extra Terrestrial
    3. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    4. Star Wars (A New Hope)
    5. Superman
    6. Ghostbusters
    7. Back To The Future
    8. Rocky
    9. Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan
    10. Goldeneye

Very 80’s heavy - I like it 😁

Mine is...

1) Aliens
    2) The Silence of the Lambs
    3) Pulp Fiction
    4) The Shawshank Redemption
    5) The Thing
    6) Withnail and I
    7) The Terminator
    8) Reservoir Dogs
    9) Gladiator
    10) Alien
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,080
    @DeathToSpies84 Nice to see Withnail & I up there! Never ceases to have me in hysterics! “Stop saying that, Withnail, of course he’s the effing farmer!”

So my list has changed drastically since I last did this...it has been a good few years I think;

1) Groundhog Day (1993)
    2) Vertigo (1958)
    3) Apocalypse Now (1979)
    4) Psycho (1960)
    5) Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
    6) Alien (1979)
    7) Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
    8) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
    9) Citizen Kane (1941)
    10) Chinatown (1974)
    11) The 400 Blows (1959)
    12) Mulholland Drive (2001)
    13) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    14) Casablanca (1942)
    15) Blade Runner (1982)
    16) The Battle of Algiers (1966)
    17) Withnail & I (1986)
    18) Airplane! (1980)
    19) Star Wars (1977)
    20) North by Northwest (1959)
    21) Some Like it Hot (1959)
    22) Rear Window (1954)
    23) Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
    24) Rebecca (1940)
    25) Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    26) Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
    27) Aliens (1986)
    28) Fargo (1996)
    29) The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    30) Harold and Maude (1971)
    31) Les Yeux Sans Visage (1960)
    32) The Godfather (1972)
    33) L.A. Confidential (1997)
    34) The Seven Samurai (1954)
    35) Manhattan (1979)
    36) Sunrise (1927)
    37) The Truman Show (1998)
    38) Straw Dogs (1971)
    39) La Regle du jeu (1939)
    40) Le Mépris (1963)
    41) Blue Velvet (1986)
    42) Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
    43) Pather Panchali (1955)
    44) Persona (1966)
    45) Bicycle Thieves (1948)
    46) American Beauty (1999)
    47) Taxi Driver (1976)
    48) Do the Right Thing (1989)
    49) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
    50) La Haine (1995)
    51) La Dolce Vita (1960)
    52) M (1931)
    53) Rope (1948)
    54) A Cry in the Dark (1988)
    55) Tsotsi (2005)
    56) The Social Network (2010)
    57) A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
    58) A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    59) Rashomon (1950)
    60) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    61) Le Charme Discret de la Bourgeoisie (1972)
    62) The Wicker Man (1973)
    63) The General (1926)
    64) The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    65) Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    66) Spirited Away (2001)
    67) Misery (1990)
    68) The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    69) À bout de souffle (1960)
    70) The Shining (1980)

Nice varied and eclectic list there @MayDayDiVicenzo!

Always great to De Sica's masterpiece somewhere in a top list. I'm sure we would have more in common if I would expand my list further (i.e. Apocalypse Now, La dolce vita,...).
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    My top ten favorite films of all time:

10. Empire of the Sun (1987)

9. High Fidelity (2000)

8. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

7. The Godfather Part II (1974)

6. Lost In Translation (2003)

5. The Apartment (1960)

4. Stand By Me (1986)

3. Casablanca (1942)

2. Vertigo (1958)

1. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)