Your Favorite Films?

Comments

“The Living Daylights” ? That’s hilarious.

The greatest movies of all time:

King Kong (1933)
    The Roaring Twenties (1939)
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
    Psycho (1960)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    The Wild Bunch (1969)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    Jaws (1975)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman:The Movie 3hr televised cut is my favourite. Only Blade Runner comes close.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 377
    I never liked “Blade Runner”. It’s become one of the most overrated movies of all time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Superman:The Movie 3hr televised cut is my favourite. Only Blade Runner comes close.

I concur regarding Superman The Movie the added scenes really enhance the film...

I concur regarding Superman The Movie the added scenes really enhance the film...

Yeah, freaks me the frack out!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I love the shot of the missile dodging Supes.

Also the extra scenes of Lex and Co reprogramming the missiles is great

I love the shot of the missile dodging Supes.

Also the extra scenes of Lex and Co reprogramming the missiles is great

It's the Lawrence Of Arabia of superhero films IMHO.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mack_Bolan wrote: »
    “The Living Daylights” ? That’s hilarious.

The greatest movies of all time:

King Kong (1933)
    The Roaring Twenties (1939)
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
    Psycho (1960)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    The Wild Bunch (1969)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    Jaws (1975)

Well, the thread title clearly states ‘Favorite’ Films. I never said TLD was one of the greatest movies ever made, it is one of my personal favourites though.

Your list isn’t too bad, but if you want to call that list ‘the greatest films ever’ I’d say you’re missing Fellini, Tarkovsky, De Sica, Bergman, Antonioni, Godard, Melville and Renoir.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Trying to narrow things down (ranked chronologically):

Ladri di biciclette (IT 1948) by Vittorio De Sica
    Peter Pan (US 1953) by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske
    Plein soleil (FR 1960) by René Clément
    L’ avventura (IT 1960) by Michelangelo Antonioni
    La notte (IT 1961) by Michelangelo Antonioni
    From Russia with Love (UK 1963) by Terence Young
    Persona (SE 1966) by Ingmar Bergman
    2001: A Space Odyssey (UK 1968) by Stanley Kubrick
    On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (UK 1969) by Peter R. Hunt
    Suspiria (IT 1977) by Dario Argento
    Death on the Nile (UK 1978) by John Guillermin
    Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (DE 1979) by Werner Herzog
    Stalker (SU 1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky
    Tenebre (IT 1982) by Dario Argento
    Manhunter (US 1986) by Michael Mann
    Der Himmel über Berlin (DE 1987) by Wim Wenders
    The Living Daylights (UK 1987) by John Glen
    Licence to Kill (UK 1989) by John Glen
    Nikita (FR 1990) by Luc Besson
    The World Is Not Enough (UK 1999) by Michael Apted
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (NZ 2001) by Peter Jackson
    Alexander (US 2004) by Oliver Stone
    Das Leben der Anderen (DE 2006) by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
    Atomic Blonde (US 2017) by David Leitch
    Suspiria (IT 2018) by Luca Guadagnino

Very eclectic list @GoldenGun nice to see Manhunter there. Also one of my favourites.

Also good to see some Argento!

Alexander is a bit puzzling. Can't believe there's someone actually likes it! I remember sitting in the cinema wondering if it was ever going to end...great score by Vangelis though.

Done this already, but it's a slow afternoon, and the Bond 25 production thread is annoying me (again!) So I'll cheer myself up..
    These would be films in my collection that I watch over and over without ever getting tired of them..

Dirty Harry
    Coogans Bluff
    Get Carter
    The French Connection
    French Connection 2
    Three Days of the Condor
    The Yakuza
    Bullitt
    Prime Cut
    Point Blank
    Villain
    Callan
    Busting
    The Driver
    Hard Times
    The Warriors
    Southern Comfort
    The Good,the Bad and the Ugly
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Professionals
    The Magnificent Seven
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
    The Sting
    The Italian Job
    Young Frankenstein
    Blazing Saddles
    The Odd Couple
    The Hot Rock
    Kes
    The Verdict
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Guns of Navarone
    The Train
    The Wild Geese
    Brazil
    Rififi
    There's more and I haven't included Bond, because I love them all (naturally) apart from the Brossa era (naturally!)

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Fletch is one of Chevy Chase's best films – if not the best! Need to watch it again soon.

I love it. Great mix of mystery and comedy. There is humor throughout, but some scenes are quite tense, especially the jail scene with Joe Don Baker. I enjoy the sequel, too (especially that musical fantasy sequence), but they changed the mix-- more comedy, less mystery, which is unfortunate.
    I haven't participated in this thread for quite awhile- here's an updated list of favorite films: many in other genres, some a favorite in a particular series and so forth. Excluding Bond here as he stands on his own.

1. THE BIG SLEEP (1946)
    2. OUT OF THE PAST (1947)
    3. THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
    4. THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH (1955)
    5. CASABLANCA (1942)
    6. HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951)
    7. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
    8. DRACULA (1931)
    9. THE BLACK CAT (1934)
    10. HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)
    11. THUNDER ROAD (1958)
    12. BUS STOP (1956)
    13. DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (1952)
    14. THE KILLERS (1946)
    15. THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA (1954)
    16. THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)
    17. HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959)
    18. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970)
    19. VAMPIRE CIRCUS (1972)
    20. DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)
    21. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
    22. MY GUN IS QUICK (1957)
    23. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF (1949)
    24. RIO BRAVO (1959)
    25. TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2019 Posts: 6,778
    Thank you @LeonardPine! My taste is admittedly eclectic, probably because I like to mix as many languages, eras and genres as I can ;)

Nice to see some Hammer Dracula appreciation there, @ToTheRight!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Fletch is one of Chevy Chase's best films – if not the best! Need to watch it again soon.

I love it. Great mix of mystery and comedy. There is humor throughout, but some scenes are quite tense, especially the jail scene with Joe Don Baker. I enjoy the sequel, too (especially that musical fantasy sequence), but they changed the mix-- more comedy, less mystery, which is unfortunate.

Definitely agree. Love them both, but the first one is the best.

I sometimes wonder what happened to comedy/(murder) mystery films. Fletch 1/2, Foul Play, Silver Streak, High Anxiety and films like these.

I sometimes wonder what happened to comedy/(murder) mystery films. Fletch 1/2, Foul Play, Silver Streak, High Anxiety and films like these.

Unfortunately, genres (or subgenres) rise and drop in popularity. Same thing happened with biblical epics, westerns, disaster films, corporate thrillers, serial killer films, heist films. Now superhero films dominate financially and culturally. I'm not crazy about one type of film dominating, especially to the extent that superhero films do. Comes at the expense of other types of films.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think back in the day, Westerns were the closest to superhero films in terms of dominance.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,270

Unfortunately, genres (or subgenres) rise and drop in popularity. Same thing happened with biblical epics, westerns, disaster films, corporate thrillers, serial killer films, heist films. Now superhero films dominate financially and culturally. I'm not crazy about one type of film dominating, especially to the extent that superhero films do. Comes at the expense of other types of films.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think back in the day, Westerns were the closest to superhero films in terms of dominance.

That's indeed the cycle of a genre – it has it's rise and drop in popularity, as you write. Westerns were huge back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's I think. Much in the same way as Bondmania in the mid to late 60's etc. A lot of the classic westerns are from that period at least.

As for the comedy/(murder) mystery films (at least those in the vein of Fletch), they seemed like a nice little subgenre. Can't remember seeing any films like that produced more recently. Hope there are some titles out there though, as I'd love to watch them!

Also agree re. superhero films; they totally dominate the box office and in media coverage. Wonder when it will reach its peak.

That's indeed the cycle of a genre – it has it's rise and drop in popularity, as you write. Westerns were huge back in the 40's, 50's and early 60's I think. Much in the same way as Bondmania in the mid to late 60's etc. A lot of the classic westerns are from that period at least.

As for the comedy/(murder) mystery films (at least those in the vein of Fletch), they seemed like a nice little subgenre. Can't remember seeing any films like that produced more recently. Hope there are some titles out there though, as I'd love to watch them!

Also agree re. superhero films; they totally dominate the box office and in media coverage. Wonder when it will reach its peak.

I predict that after Endgame, the superhero thing will begin a small but noticeable decline. It will never go away, but I don't know if it can ever reach the fever pitch of this moment again in my lifetime...

I predict that after Endgame, the superhero thing will begin a small but noticeable decline. It will never go away, but I don't know if it can ever reach the fever pitch of this moment again in my lifetime...

You might be right about that, @chrisisall. Right now it feels like there's another superhero film coming out each month or so. It's quite impressive in a way.
    1.Under Siege 2 Dark Territory
    2.Goldfinger
    3.The Karate Kid
    edited April 2019 Posts: 6,714
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I haven't seen the original. I like this one, except that the comedy with the maid grows a little grating. They use her too much. But it's a fun film. I really like Thesiger in it. I also love the look of the woods where they capture the creature.

Have you by any chance seen the 1910 version?

It just occurred to me that while the first film is better, the musical dream scene in the sequel is one of the best scenes in either film. I love how once they get to the singing, they play it basically straight (except for Mr. Underhill playing the tennis racket like a guitar!). It's the context of the scene, the reference to Song of the South, and the presence of the supporting characters in the background what makes it absolutely hilarious. And it's such an elaborate shot. Lots of choreographed dancers, animated characters, crane shot showing that long dirt road. And it totally works. Musically it's also very pleasing.

I haven't seen the original. I like this one, except that the comedy with the maid grows a little grating. They use her too much. But it's a fun film. I really like Thesiger in it. I also love the look of the woods where they capture the creature.

Yes. It's only a few minutes long, but pretty interesting. You may be able to find it on YouTube.

If you haven't seen the 1931 film, it doesn't have as much humor as BRIDE. I like it just as much, though. Both are great, really.

I love all the Universal Frankenstein movies. Karloff really gives the Monster character, personality and soul compared to the other actors. Sadly, Bela's portrayal of the Monster was butchered in the editing room to the point his motivation is all but lost giving the final result a caricature of a performance. Also, Glenn Strange doesn't really get to shine until the Abbott and Costello film.

Yes. It's only a few minutes long, but pretty interesting. You may be able to find it on YouTube.

If you haven't seen the 1931 film, it doesn't have as much humor as BRIDE. I like it just as much, though. Both are great, really.

I love all the Universal Frankenstein movies. Karloff really gives the Monster character, personality and soul compared to the other actors. Sadly, Bela's portrayal of the Monster was butchered in the editing room to the point his motivation is all but lost giving the final result a caricature of a performance. Also, Glenn Strange doesn't really get to shine until the Abbott and Costello film.

I'm not crazy about the ending of the 1910 version. It's a metaphor, but since it's presented in a rudimentary, somewhat banal way, I find it underwhelming. It might not have felt that way back in the day, but now it does, to me anyway.

I'll watch the 1931 version. Speaking of Lugosi and Karloff, The Black Cat is another one I want to watch. Interesting premise and set design.

Have you seen any RKO horror films? I've only seen Cat People, which I really liked, and The Seventh Victim, which had some fascinating things in it but also some underwhelming things.

I'm not crazy about the ending of the 1910 version. It's a metaphor, but since it's presented in a rudimentary, somewhat banal way, I find it underwhelming. It might not have felt that way back in the day, but now it does, to me anyway.

I'll watch the 1931 version. Speaking of Lugosi and Karloff, The Black Cat is another one I want to watch. Interesting premise and set design.

Have you seen any RKO horror films? I've only seen Cat People, which I really liked, and The Seventh Victim, which had some fascinating things in it but also some underwhelming things.

THE BLACK CAT is great as is THE RAVEN. I've seen quite a few RKO horror films. They tend to have a noir quality in the lighting and mood.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Goodfellas
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    Taxi Driver
    True Romance
    Heat
    Léon
    Kill Bill Volume 2
    From Russia With Love
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,270

It just occurred to me that while the first film is better, the musical dream scene in the sequel is one of the best scenes in either film. I love how once they get to the singing, they play it basically straight (except for Mr. Underhill playing the tennis racket like a guitar!). It's the context of the scene, the reference to Song of the South, and the presence of the supporting characters in the background what makes it absolutely hilarious. And it's such an elaborate shot. Lots of choreographed dancers, animated characters, crane shot showing that long dirt road. And it totally works. Musically it's also very pleasing.

Had to rewatch this sequence now that you mentioned it. You got to love how elaborate it is! Had totally forgot about the animated dog and bird; it's hilariously over the top - and indeed, it's one of the best sequences from both films.

I wonder how they came up with, and presented this idea to the studio executives. :))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Goodfellas
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    Taxi Driver
    True Romance
    Heat
    Léon
    Kill Bill Volume 2
    From Russia With Love