Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Ticket booked for Wednesday.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I revisited ROGUE ONE a few days ago. I just can't get into it. Aside from the two guardians, all the characters come off pretty flat to me. The CGI Tarkin is awfully distracting and the use of Vader, especially in his final scene, felt superfluous and tonally deaf. I remember sitting in the movie theater just constantly checking my watch and I rarely do that. Ultimately, it feels like a totally unnecessary installment in the franchise.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,328

Live stream from the blue carpet starting soon...
  • I revisited ROGUE ONE a few days ago. I just can't get into it. Aside from the two guardians, all the characters come off pretty flat to me. The CGI Tarkin is awfully distracting and the use of Vader, especially in his final scene, felt superfluous and tonally deaf. I remember sitting in the movie theater just constantly checking my watch and I rarely do that. Ultimately, it feels like a totally unnecessary installment in the franchise.

I loved it on first viewing, but don't think it stands up. As you say the characters are flat and you don't really mind that they all die in the end!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I didn’t care for it too much from my first viewing. Even the Vader scene, exciting as it was in some respects, felt out of place, fan service.

Yeah, it's awkward in that we're supposed to be cheering for the rebels during the climax, and yet the Vader scene feels like it was aimed at making people cheer for watching him slaughter a bunch of rebel soldiers, when just one minute ago we were supposed to feel sorrow over the main cast dying for a cause. It's jarring.
    This is bringing back happy memories of the arguments over Rogue One on SW forums when it first came out :D

Personally I don’t think people were cheering Darth Vader in that scene? I thought it was a harrowing scene of murder and my sympathies lay entirely with the rebels trapped in that corridor. The scene reminded me that, when we next see Darth storywise which is in the 1977 film, he is straightforwardly a villain and a killer.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,267
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30229553/star-wars-original-versions-jj-abrams-george-lucas/

So ridiculous that the original versions are still being held hostage and we’ll probably never get them released again. I’ll have to settle for getting some copies of the 2006 DVDs that include the original editions as a bonus feature (I have heard the quality is less than ideal, but still...); seems to be the only viable way to have the originals in a semi-modern format.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30229553/star-wars-original-versions-jj-abrams-george-lucas/

So ridiculous that the original versions are still being held hostage and we’ll probably never get them released again.

That drives me nuts. I have no interest in the altered versions.

It’s unacceptable that the altered editions are treated as the only “canon” ones, and that somehow the original films were “unfinished” because they didn’t have CGI technology hideously implemented into them. Lucas and Disney have done some very questionable things with the franchise. I’d let go of all of them if we just got to have the original versions re-released properly. But it’s apparently too much to ask for.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

So ridiculous that the original versions are still being held hostage and we’ll probably never get them released again.

That drives me nuts. I have no interest in the altered versions.

It’s unacceptable that the altered editions are treated as the only “canon” ones, and that somehow the original films were “unfinished” because they didn’t have CGI technology hideously implemented into them. Lucas and Disney have done some very questionable things with the franchise. I’d let go of all of them if we just got to have the original versions re-released properly. But it’s apparently too much to ask for.

Don't know why they don't just release them together. On my Aliens blu-rays you have the choice of watching the originals or the director's cuts.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This is bringing back happy memories of the arguments over Rogue One on SW forums when it first came out :D

Personally I don’t think people were cheering Darth Vader in that scene? I thought it was a harrowing scene of murder and my sympathies lay entirely with the rebels trapped in that corridor. The scene reminded me that, when we next see Darth storywise which is in the 1977 film, he is straightforwardly a villain and a killer.

Yep. The scene absolutely is fan service to the highest degree but I wasn't cheering during it so I don't really find it a jarring tonal shift. I found it dark, brutal and awe-inspiring. I felt sorry for those soldiers, though. As a double bill, Rogue One and A New Hope are perfectly complimentary of each other. Wonderful stuff.
    Doesn’t surprise me that Lucas would prevent the original versions from being released making that part of the deal for buying the franchise.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    If you want to go a step even further, look up the 4K77, 4K80 (not out yet), and 4K83 releases. They're even better than the Despecialized editions because they're scanned from original 35mm Technicolor release prints scanned at full 4K, cleaned at 4K, and rendered at 4K.
    Minion wrote: »
    If you want to go a step even further, look up the 4K77, 4K80 (not out yet), and 4K83 releases. They're even better than the Despecialized editions because they're scanned from original 35mm Technicolor release prints scanned at full 4K, cleaned at 4K, and rendered at 4K.

Got those a month ago. GORGEOUS. Flawed as they are from old prints rather than negatives and interpositives, but they may be the best thing we’ll get picture quality wise until the legalities clear up with releasing the original cuts.
    I revisited ROGUE ONE a few days ago. I just can't get into it. Aside from the two guardians, all the characters come off pretty flat to me. The CGI Tarkin is awfully distracting and the use of Vader, especially in his final scene, felt superfluous and tonally deaf. I remember sitting in the movie theater just constantly checking my watch and I rarely do that. Ultimately, it feels like a totally unnecessary installment in the franchise.
    It´s interesting, a few of my friends reacted just as you describe it, while me and some others belong to those who find it one the best SW films.

I've got a fanedit for that as well. :D
    I’d be most intrigued to see Edwards’ original cut of the film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    The review embargo for Rise of Skywalker has ended. At 52% on RottenTomatoes and 55/100 on MetaCritic, Episode 9 is heading towards becoming the most critically panned Star Wars film, even moreso than The Phantom Menace.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,267
    The review embargo for Rise of Skywalker has ended. At 52% on RottenTomatoes and 55/100 on MetaCritic, Episode 9 is heading towards becoming the most critically panned Star Wars film, even moreso than The Phantom Menace.

Can’t say I’m surprised. The sequel trilogy has really turned out to be a disappointment for me thus far, so my hopes for 9 are low. I sort of enjoyed 7 and decently enjoyed 8 when they came out, but on rewatches they really have bored me. Ultimately my biggest problem is that the narratives are not that interesting. The prequels had more individual flaws, but collectively still held my interest more with the stories. Neither trilogy came close to living up to the originals.
    That's a shame, but I'm still incredibly excited about seeing the movie tonight. Got my ticket for the midnight screening.

Unfortunately I do believe that there is a cottage industry in ripping into the new trilogy. Many nobody YouTubers see massive spikes in their viewing figures when they rant about how awful the new movies are.

I sadly think that a lot of fans made up their minds that they were going to hate Episode 9 two years ago.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Of to watch TROS tomorrow afternoon, though my expectations are low it sounds like a disaster.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    It doesn't surprise me.
    They brought back Palpatine and they don't even explain how he's alive
    Doesn’t surprise me either, but I could actually roll with that because I feel any explanation would have sounded weak, so just leaving it to my imagination works for me. Also, I’m just happy to have that actor back hamming it up because I’ve missed him, and his stand-in for the last two was pretty lackluster.
    One thing is for certain, at this age I've learned that my first reactions to a teaser and pictures of a given film, always give me a pretty good impression of the outcome. And this one was a stinker from the start. And that's a crying shame. With all the talent and money thrown into it.

On the same note, NTTD looks really good, right from the get go ;)

I... I loved it. Just came from the cinema about half an hour ago. My first thoughts are, that it's definitely the best of the sequel trilogy and let's bd honest, miles better than the *ugh* prequels.
    Is it weird that this is the first thing to make me actually want to see TROS? One: critics are almost always wrong, and two: a memorable train wreck is infinitely preferable to something safe and blasé.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Doesn’t surprise me either, but I could actually roll with that because I feel any explanation would have sounded weak, so just leaving it to my imagination works for me. Also, I’m just happy to have that actor back hamming it up because I’ve missed him, and his stand-in for the last two was pretty lackluster.

Then how are we supposed to know that he's dead for good this time?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Critics and material I don't need em.

Remember TLJ has a 91% and was mostly hated by fans.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    TR007 wrote: »
    That's a shame, but I'm still incredibly excited about seeing the movie tonight. Got my ticket for the midnight screening.

Unfortunately I do believe that there is a cottage industry in ripping into the new trilogy. Many nobody YouTubers see massive spikes in their viewing figures when they rant about how awful the new movies are.

I sadly think that a lot of fans made up their minds that they were going to hate Episode 9 two years ago.
    All the more so will your report after tonight be important, @TR007 :-).

SharkBait wrote: »

I... I loved it. Just came from the cinema about half an hour ago. My first thoughts are, that it's definitely the best of the sequel trilogy and let's bd honest, miles better than the *ugh* prequels.
    Glad to hear that, @SharkBait!
    Walecs wrote: »

Then how are we supposed to know that he's dead for good this time?

I assume they won't throw him down a shaft that will deprive them of actually seeing the dead body.
    Remember TLJ has a 91% and was mostly hated by fans.

Because fans tend to be a lot more close minded than they want to admit.