Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    To be fair TFA already undermined the OT and no plot thread was undercut, it was only solved differently than whatever fans expected.

A lot of the stuff that fans supposedly hate were the stuff that I actually loved, like Luke becoming a recluse. I get the sense that a super idealized version of Luke had grown so much over the years in their minds that any deviation from that was bound to get a negative reaction. However, I embraced that whole take because I thought it was not only sold through the writing but Mark Hamill was giving his strongest performance of the series as Luke.

One expectation that wasn't subverted for me was Kylo Ren, as the film took him into a direction I felt was the only logical way ever since I saw TFA. Prior to seeing TLJ my hope was to see him realize he can't just idolize his grandfather but that he has to surpass him, and one way of doing that is killing his master to gain power, something Vader only contemplated in EMPIRE. So when the moment came and he took it I cheered inside. Of all the new characters introduced in this sequel trilogy, he's the most compelling so far. I look forward to seeing how how story is tied up. My bet is he becomes good, but because he did so much bad he can't just be with the heroes so he takes off into another galaxy to try to atone for something he never truly can.

I couldn't agree more. I especially like your idea about Kylo's fate.
    BondStu wrote: »
    @SaintMark - sadly it's not really lasted with my girls. My oldest won't be coming to see the new one. She hates going to the cinema and she has literally ZERO interest in Star Wars.

The youngest will happily tag along to see it - but I don't know if she'd honestly call herself a Star Wars fan.

They just have their own interests now.

@BondStu My youmgest has already purchased her own ticket to see the movie on release by her self and will be coming with the family when we go again a few days later. She is a SW fan more than I ever was I guess. The older daughter is more of a Marvel fan.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Finally finished revisiting the episodes, which I haven't done in years (haven't even watched TLJ since theaters). I suppose if I were to rank the current films this is how it would go.

1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Of the OT this is just where everything clicks better, execution wise. Acting, directing, writing at its peak for the franchise. Story still pulls me to this day.

2. Star Wars (1977) - This would sometimes be at #1 for me. It's certainly the most iconic, and if I had to recommend anyone to only see one film this is it. Probably John Williams at his strongest in the series just for the entire Death Star attack sequence alone.

3. The Last Jedi (2017) - Was most curious to see how this would hold up. I only saw it in theaters and since then decided to hold off on it until just before Episode IX came out. It still strongly pulls me in emotionally. Everything regarding Luke and Kylo Ren is gangbusters.

4. The Force Awakens (2015) - I remember feeling when this came out I was no where near as enamored with it as everyone else seemed to. I still give it flack for playing the same beats as the original 1977 film, but in spite of that the new cast really shine in establishing a new generation of heroes, and Harrison Ford gives his best Solo performance. Now I enjoy this about as much as the OT, right on par with Return of the Jedi. Speaking of which...

5. Return of the Jedi (1983) - It's barely just neck and neck with The Force Awakens as far as I'm concerned. So why ultimately below? It's that whole middle section on Endor that I just feel drags the film. However, the first and last 40 mins of the film is pretty much top tier Star Wars. Had the middle been just as good, it would probably be at #3.

6 Revenge of the Sith (2005) - I think I'd save the trouble and just say I really wish Lucas had hired other directors and writers for all these prequels because none of them work entirely. Anakin's fall is just not convincing. The last hour feels super rushed. Between rescuing Palpatine and Obi-Wan fighting that robot guy it's pretty much just boring exposition and bad acting.

7. The Phantom Menace (1999) - If there's one aspect that keeps this from the bottom it's that it's probably the most pure unfiltered Lucas we'll ever get, before the fan hatred pushed him to re-calibrate his approach for the other two prequels. The saber fight at the end IS great in that it really demonstrates who the characters are by the way they fight. When Lucas isn't dealing with dialogue, he can make scenes work really well.

8. Attack of the Clones (2002) - For all the flack Jar Jar got, nothing really disappoints me more than the most cliched unconvincing "romance" I have ever seen. It's like anytime Anakin and Padme talk it sounds like a bad high school production. "I wish I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't". Amazingly Lucas hired another writer to help work on the dialogue and romance... ok.

Not really including the two spin-off films because I mainly find them disposable, even though I thought SOLO was pretty decent.
    Luckily, I'm me.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

:))
    New trailer/ad, with possible spoilers so beware: https://fbwat.ch/1T0UIMJ6REFR9A2p

Gotta say I really dig that whole build up with Adam Driver. The atmosphere, the music, THAT VOICE. Hell of a way to intrigue viewers.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    New trailer/ad, with possible spoilers so beware: https://fbwat.ch/1T0UIMJ6REFR9A2p

Gotta say I really dig that whole build up with Adam Driver. The atmosphere, the music, THAT VOICE. Hell of a way to intrigue viewers.

That trailer is good, the leaks have destroyed this film though I will go and watch it. Hopefully the leaks are a very smart misdirect
    Never even touched the leaks. I’m going in pure.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    OK I'm going to rank the Star Wars films in order of favourites

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return Of The Jedi
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge Of The Sith
    7. Solo
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. Attack Of The Clones

That trailer is good, the leaks have destroyed this film though I will go and watch it. Hopefully the leaks are a very smart misdirect

IMO the leaks are 80% correct. But we'll see.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I have never played FORTNITE though this is pretty cool
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,539
    GREAT Mandalorian fan art (possible spoilers?):

Whether you liked TLJ or not you should give this video a look. I think it’s pretty brilliant.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Whether you liked TLJ or not you should give this video a look. I think it’s pretty brilliant.

That's a great video. I just watched it yesterday, and while I do wish it would change some minds, I know it probably won't.
    We’re pretty much at the same point where the prequels were over a decade ago when a loud group of fans are pretty vocal of their disdain for them. It wasn’t until recent years that the internet has shown more favorability towards the prequels and that’s because the children that grew up with those films 14 years ago are now adults that have more of a presence to the discourse. What’s ironic is that it’s largely that generation that hates the ST, much like how fans that grew up with the OT as children hated the PT. So I’m willing to bet a decade from now when all this has blown over and the saga has been solidified as a nine episode series there will be people in their 20s sharing their fondness over the sequels and Star Wars as a whole.

And then they’ll be the ones hating on newer films because it’s not aligning to what they thought it was growing up. It’s a vicious cycle.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    We’re pretty much at the same point where the prequels were over a decade ago when a loud group of fans are pretty vocal of their disdain for them. It wasn’t until recent years that the internet has shown more favorability towards the prequels and that’s because the children that grew up with those films 14 years ago are now adults that have more of a presence to the discourse. What’s ironic is that it’s largely that generation that hates the ST, much like how fans that grew up with the OT as children hated the PT. So I’m willing to bet a decade from now when all this has blown over and the saga has been solidified as a nine episode series there will be people in their 20s sharing their fondness over the sequels and Star Wars as a whole.

And then they’ll be the ones hating on newer films because it’s not aligning to what they thought it was growing up. It’s a vicious cycle.

I grew up with the OT, saw SW on original release aged 5- 6, I hated and continue to hate the PT.

I've enjoyed the new trilogy, although as of all the new films and I've just watched it this evening Rogue One is by far the one I've most enjoyed.

I enjoyed TFA and certainly don't personally track with the vitriolic hate for TLJ but then again as I said If I never saw the PT again it wouldn't be too soon.

I'm looking forward to TROS although I'm going in with my expectations in check and are going to give my 4K version of TLJ a watch before we see it.

Although nothing gets my juices going bearing in mind I hated SPECTRE like Bond and my anticipation for TROS is merely a blip compared to how I'm feeling for NTTD.

I'm hoping going into TROS with realistic expectations I'll be pleasantly surprised, trying to keep them in check for Bond is an exercise in futility.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I’ve got some really thoughtful fan edits of the prequels that make them quite enjoyable, so no doubt in a decade a similar effort will be made to streamline the ST as well for those who dislike it. Assuming Disney doesn’t try to stamp out that community.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The only issue I had with TLJ is that I found it quite boring. I liked the stuff with Rey, Kylo, Snoke, and Luke. Everything else was pretty dull, imo. I find it fascinating to see people get so incredibly riled up about it though.
    The only issue I had with TLJ is that I found it quite boring. I liked the stuff with Rey, Kylo, Snoke, and Luke. Everything else was pretty dull, imo. I find it fascinating to see people get so incredibly riled up about it though.

Star Wars! It makes people act funny.
    Kind of sad that I still haven't seen any of the Disney era films. I don't remember the prequel films very much except that I loved that Sir Christopher Lee was in a couple.
    I'll have to start catching up as I'm curious why so many fans seems to loath THE LAST JEDI.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    My youngest daughter seems to be a bigger Star Wars fan than I thought. We were at the cinema on Friday night to see something else. After the movie she was waiting in the lobby for me whilst I nipped to the loo. When I came out she was standing looking at the poster for the new movie. She was just gazing at it with a purely wistful look in her eyes.

I think Freddie Prinze had a point some weeks ago when he said that all SW films are made for kids, and those who grew up in the meantime don´t accept that.

boldfinger wrote: »

I think Freddie Prinze had a point some weeks ago when he said that all SW films are made for kids, and those who grew up in the meantime don´t accept that.

Lucas has made that same point since 1977. Star Wars is really inspired by the kind of films he used to watch as a kid like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon and wanted to make that kind of movie. Not that Star Wars is ONLY for kids but that adults can enjoy it too like we see with The Wizard of Oz.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,107
    I watched both TFA and TLJ in preparation of seeing TROS this Wednesday and while I like both of the movies, TLJ has grown on me and I think it might actually be the better one of the first two st movies.

Thrilled to see how the last one wraps up the new trilogy and the Skywalker saga as a whole and I'm not going to let angry youtubers or facebook commenters ruin it for me.

There'll always be haters hating.

Came across this. It's insanely cute.

It is indeed.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Rogue One is by far the one I've most enjoyed.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue One, despite its flaws. Saw it in the cinema with my 14 yr old son and he said “that was the best one since the originals” as we walked out. I’ve watched it a few times on blu ray since then and it’s got even better with each watch.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Rogue One is by far the one I've most enjoyed.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue One, despite its flaws. Saw it in the cinema with my 14 yr old son and he said “that was the best one since the originals” as we walked out. I’ve watched it a few times on blu ray since then and it’s got even better with each watch.

Your son is absolutely right.