NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    I can't believe how "off the rails" this discussion has gone.

It does not matter what Nomi's 00 is. Even if she is at first a new "007" we know that it will quickly be reclaimed. There is no way EON is going to separate "James Bond" from "007." The 007 logo was right there, on the first marketing poster. It is 007.com that is the "home" of James Bond.

James Bond is 007. Always was, always has been, always will be.

To be fair, we don’t really know that. I think it’s just as likely that she remains 007 for the majority of the film (or it’s entirety), especially with all the talk of shock and surprise and the certainty that this is Craig’s last outing. Yes, the 007 brand has always been associated with James Bond and will continue to be for promotional purposes but I don’t think that means anything as far as the narrative of this film is concerned. Especially if it’s a one off and that particular development is meant to be a surprise.

That being said, there’s no way EON will have Nomi’s 007 as the main character in Bond 26. Barbara Broccoli has said herself that Bond is and will be a man. Wrapping up the Craig arc in NTTD and rebooting with a new James Bond 007 in the next instalment seems to be the obvious path.

True. Perhaps it's safe to assume that some of the more outrageous and angry comments on this forum don't stem from the idea that Nomi is 007 at the start of the film but the fear that she'll be 007 at the end of the film?

Again, from a branding standpoint, this would make no sense. "James Bond 007" is not simply a character; he is a brand. NTTD may play a round a little with Nomi taking the number after Bond's "retirement" (none of which we know as fact, btw), but it is inconceivable that Bond will not have his number back. EON won't do that to themselves. And though we have several character posters, with '007" in the background, the following standee has Bond front and center and two placements of "007." There is no question who that number relates to.

3mvbihxe.jpg
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 79
    Well this one does as well :-)

bond-25-NTTD_LashanaLynch_rgb_1200_1777_81_s.jpg

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    I just wonder if Cubby broccoli & Harry Saltzman would have liked to play with the 007 twist thing. Them 2 guys were Bond Purists.....especially Cubby.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,343
    James Bond Producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today released the official title of the 25th James Bond adventure, NO TIME TO DIE. The film, from Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions, Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios (MGM), and Universal Pictures International is directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga (Beasts of No Nation, True Detective) and stars Daniel Craig, who returns for his fifth film as Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007. NO TIME TO DIE also stars Rami Malek, Léa Seydoux, Lashana Lynch, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, Billy Magnussen, Ana de Armas, Rory Kinnear, David Dencik, Dali Benssalah with Jeffrey Wright and Ralph Fiennes.

Source: 007.com
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    Do we know what films will run the NTTD trailer at the cinema? 🍸
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    matt_u wrote: »
    James Bond Producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today released the official title of the 25th James Bond adventure, NO TIME TO DIE. The film, from Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions, Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios (MGM), and Universal Pictures International is directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga (Beasts of No Nation, True Detective) and stars Daniel Craig, who returns for his fifth film as Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007. NO TIME TO DIE also stars Rami Malek, Léa Seydoux, Lashana Lynch, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, Billy Magnussen, Ana de Armas, Rory Kinnear, David Dencik, Dali Benssalah with Jeffrey Wright and Ralph Fiennes.

Source: 007.com

That's just it is they are marketing it as James Bond 007
    James Bond is 007, we all know that. But, by subverting that link (for a very short while), there is real potential to surprise and intrigue the audience (when did we last see that in a Bond movie) and we all know 100% that normal service will be resumed.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    danielcc wrote: »
    Well this one does as well :-)

bond-25-NTTD_LashanaLynch_rgb_1200_1777_81_s.jpg

I will repeat what I wrote: And though we have several character posters, with '007" in the background, the following standee has Bond front and center and two placements of "007."

You don't put a standee like that in theater lobbies for a film that removes "007" from Bond. It's bad marketing and bad for the brand.
  • Sorry indeed I didnt read properly.

Anyway: of course James will be 007 after all. Either throughout the movie or once he returns to MI6 or at the end of the movie. We will see if they make Nomi to 007 in between- which would he perfectly fine and logical bu the way.
    I actually hope she will be 007 and the movie ends with M asking if Bond wants to return to the 00 section and Bond will reply with sth like "there is just one little thing that means a lot to me"...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sorry indeed I didnt read properly.

Anyway: of course James will be 007 after all. Either throughout the movie or once he returns to MI6 or at the end of the movie. We will see if they make Nomi to 007 in between- which would he perfectly fine and logical bu the way.
    I actually hope she will be 007 and the movie ends with M asking if Bond wants to return to the 00 section and Bond will reply with sth like "there is just one little thing that means a lot to me"...

Why would that mean anything to him?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    It does not matter what Nomi's 00 is. Even if she is at first a new "007" we know that it will quickly be reclaimed. There is no way EON is going to separate "James Bond" from "007."

What you are saying basically means that Nomi will either die or she is a traitor, because I don't see the scenario where she stays in the service and gives Bond his number back.
    It does not matter what Nomi's 00 is. Even if she is at first a new "007" we know that it will quickly be reclaimed. There is no way EON is going to separate "James Bond" from "007."

What you are saying basically means that Nomi will either die or she is a traitor, because I don't see the scenario where she stays in the service and gives Bond his number back.

That's why I think she is a traitor. Dying maybe.
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2019 Posts: 10,512
    Univex wrote: »
    It’s all got to do with the cars licence plates. Most are Russian. I’d wager it’s Siberia for the looks of it.

Siberia is also quite close to Japan. ;)

Perhaps the scenes filmed in Maratea by the black beach will feature our heroes landing by boat in some vulcanic dark rocky Japanese shores...

I mentioned this recently. I wondered if it’s supposed to be Eastern Russia (Atlantic Rd etc). I have a feeling Safin’s lair will be on a fictitious island, possibly somewhere in the Sea of Japan. They undertook some aerial photography in the Faroes, which I reckon is for establishing shots.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

That's why I think she is a traitor. Dying maybe.

I hope so. She’s so unlikeable in the trailer.
  • TripAces wrote: »

It does not matter what Nomi's 00 is. Even if she is at first a new "007" we know that it will quickly be reclaimed. There is no way EON is going to separate "James Bond" from "007." The 007 logo was right there, on the first marketing poster. It is 007.com that is the "home" of James Bond.

To be fair, we don’t really know that. I think it’s just as likely that she remains 007 for the majority of the film (or it’s entirety), especially with all the talk of shock and surprise and the certainty that this is Craig’s last outing. Yes, the 007 brand has always been associated with James Bond and will continue to be for promotional purposes but I don’t think that means anything as far as the narrative of this film is concerned. Especially if it’s a one off and that particular development is meant to be a surprise.

That being said, there’s no way EON will have Nomi’s 007 as the main character in Bond 26. Barbara Broccoli has said herself that Bond is and will be a man. Wrapping up the Craig arc in NTTD and rebooting with a new James Bond 007 in the next instalment seems to be the obvious path.

True. Perhaps it's safe to assume that some of the more outrageous and angry comments on this forum don't stem from the idea that Nomi is 007 at the start of the film but the fear that she'll be 007 at the end of the film?

Again, from a branding standpoint, this would make no sense. "James Bond 007" is not simply a character; he is a brand. NTTD may play a round a little with Nomi taking the number after Bond's "retirement" (none of which we know as fact, btw), but it is inconceivable that Bond will not have his number back. EON won't do that to themselves. And though we have several character posters, with '007" in the background, the following standee has Bond front and center and two placements of "007." There is no question who that number relates to.

3mvbihxe.jpg

I completely agree, @TripAces Just pointing out that some people's panic might be coming from the (rather ridiculous) thought that this is going to be some major changing point in the series.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,526
    Sorry indeed I didnt read properly.

Why would that mean anything to him?

This. Fleming's Bond has no sentimentality towards 007.

Although, in Forever And A Day, does Bond not request to keep 007 because it belonged to a friend of his? Understand it isn't Fleming but it is canon as far as I can see.

Good point. I'm guessing, based on the dialogue in the trailer, that Nomi will not adopt 007 but rather a different 00 number.

Or maybe at the end of the film, Nomi keeps 007 and Bond becomes 7777 ;)

The new Bond logo:
    80230898_159369858646027_8264037756389294080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=t7_8xbJ7TbsAQnc_McihxWMnS-pXjBbVcFzJEamZyJbEbzstuoGvmhbMQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=1b9c02c1ea1fd945c4846289a8ff3f51&oe=5E71B222
    RC7 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    It’s all got to do with the cars licence plates. Most are Russian. I’d wager it’s Siberia for the looks of it.

Siberia is also quite close to Japan. ;)

Perhaps the scenes filmed in Maratea by the black beach will feature our heroes landing by boat in some vulcanic dark rocky Japanese shores...

I mentioned this recently. I wondered if it’s supposed to be Eastern Russia (Atlantic Rd etc). I have a feeling Safin’s lair will be on a fictitious island, possibly somewhere in the Sea of Japan. They undertook some aerial photography in the Faroes, which I reckon is for establishing shots.

I hadn't noticed. Totally in line with you. Thought the same about the aerial shots in the Faroes: everything seems to make perfect sense and sounds super exciting if you ask me. Given the latest developments Japan must feature in some form...
    predictions: Nomi is 007 at the start of the film. Bond is 007 at the end.

How could we miss Japan as a location though. None of the principle cast or crew went there did they. Mind you they used cornwall for Korea twice in DAD...
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,126
    It will be interesting to see if on the title screen it will say Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in the titles.
  • HASEROT wrote: »

i want to marry this comment..... thank you @TripAces
    HASEROT wrote: »

i want to marry this comment..... thank you @TripAces

Me too!!!!!👍
    Birdleson wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if on the title screen it will say Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in the titles.

Great point. I don’t think they’d change it. He’s still Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007; EON’s sensational storyline (merits aside, or not) doesn’t alter the core concept of the property that they are the stewards of.

If they don't change anything they must have him have it back I mean they are advertising like he is 007.
    I saw some NTTD trailer reactions recently, all from US people. Basically no one seem to remember what happened in SP. From this standpoint, I'm a little worried a lot of people won't get involved in the Madeleine stuff since they won't even remember they had a relationship in the previous one. Most of them seemed totally lost when she spoke about her not betraying Bond at the beginning of the film.
    I saw some NTTD trailer reactions recently, all from US people. Basically no one seem to remember what happened in SP. From this standpoint, I'm a little worried a lot of people won't get involved in the Madeleine stuff since they won't even remember they had a relationship in the previous one. Most of them seemed totally lost when she spoke about her not betraying Bond at the beginning of the film.
    I remember SP well, in fact I just watched it again recently. But I have no clue either what she´s talking about in that moment. I was under the impression that it has to do with things happening in NTTD, not in SP.
  • RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I remember SP well, in fact I just watched it again recently. But I have no clue either what she´s talking about in that moment. I was under the impression that it has to do with things happening in NTTD, not in SP.

Yes, it’s surely something that happens at the beginning of NTTD.

Bond has just been attacked at Vesper's grave and then pursued along the bridge, from which he jumps to escape his attackers, who continue to chase him. I think it's obvious, Bond races back to Madeleine and, in the car, he accuses her of setting him up. And she responds, as per the trailer, "Why would I betray you?"

@matt_u ’s point is that the average viewer, not a Bond maniac (such as us on here), just a regular filmgoer, has only a vague memory of or interest in who Madeline even is.

Yes exactly. It's obvious that Swann's """betrayal""" will be related to events from the beginning of NTTD, more specifically, SPECTRE trying to kill Bond at Vesper's grave I'd say. On the other hand my impression is that most of the average viewers seem to don't even remember that Bond and Swann had an affair in the previous one. So that could be a problem, since NTTD will be basically a direct continuation of SP story.
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Bond has just been attacked at Vesper's grave and then pursued along the bridge, from which he jumps to escape his attackers, who continue to chase him. I think it's obvious, Bond races back to Madeleine and, in the car, he accuses her of setting him up. And she responds, as per the trailer, "Why would I betray you?"

Yes, I agree.
    @matt_u ’s point is that the average viewer, not a Bond maniac (such as us on here), just a regular filmgoer, has only a vague memory of or interest in who Madeline even is.

And the counterpoint is that you won’t have to have seen SP to understand this film. It will function as it’s own story. I don’t see it as a problem.