NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    I have direct communication with Craig's two stunt-doubles now on my Instagram due to I couldn't tell them apart in a picture. So I got corrected by the stuntmen in person. Haha.. Pretty cool

• So glad that apparently none of those arguments stopped folks from watching Fallout....
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,343
    RC7 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @matt_u ’s point is that the average viewer, not a Bond maniac (such as us on here), just a regular filmgoer, has only a vague memory of or interest in who Madeline even is.

And the counterpoint is that you won’t have to have seen SP to understand this film. It will function as it’s own story.

No one ever said that NTTD won't work as a coherent story with a beginning and an end. On the other hand I fear too much people won't really appreciate what they're trying to do because they basically have zero memories about what happened in the last one, regarding Bond and Swann love story. People nowadays are obsessed with continuity, but a continuity they are able to follow.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,034
    matt_u wrote: »
    @matt_u ’s point is that the average viewer, not a Bond maniac (such as us on here), just a regular filmgoer, has only a vague memory of or interest in who Madeline even is.

And the counterpoint is that you won’t have to have seen SP to understand this film. It will function as it’s own story.

No one ever said that NTTD won't work as a coherent story with a beginning and an end. On the other hand I fear too much people won't really appreciate what they're trying to do because they basically have zero memories about what happened in the last one, regarding Bond and Swann love story. People nowadays are obsessed with continuity, but a continuity they are able to follow.

I appreciate this line of thinking and there is something to it, but I'm sure the film will generously refresh our memories (even indirectly) of Swann's importance to Bond. It looks like they get some considerable time together in Matera before it all goes to hell.

No one ever said that NTTD won't work as a coherent story with a beginning and an end. On the other hand I fear too much people won't really appreciate what they're trying to do because they basically have zero memories about what happened in the last one, regarding Bond and Swann love story.

Audiences can be smarter than they are credited for, and the filmmakers will be clever and wise enough to make sure everything that happens works in context with the unfolding drama. Yes, knowledge of SP will add to the story, just like the connections between CR, QOS, SF all add to the richness of the stories and characters, but they are not crucial for understanding what is happening in each film.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,979
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I saw some NTTD trailer reactions recently, all from US people. Basically no one seem to remember what happened in SP. From this standpoint, I'm a little worried a lot of people won't get involved in the Madeleine stuff since they won't even remember they had a relationship in the previous one. Most of them seemed totally lost when she spoke about her not betraying Bond at the beginning of the film.
    I remember SP well, in fact I just watched it again recently. But I have no clue either what she´s talking about in that moment. I was under the impression that it has to do with things happening in NTTD, not in SP.

Yes, it’s surely something that happens at the beginning of NTTD.

Bond has just been attacked at Vesper's grave and then pursued along the bridge, from which he jumps to escape his attackers, who continue to chase him. I think it's obvious, Bond races back to Madeleine and, in the car, he accuses her of setting him up. And she responds, as per the trailer, "Why would I betray you?"

Of course, I love Eva Green and Vesper (and the opening scene of FYEO, for that matter) but for god's sake, I can't believe they are going back to this well again.

A lot of coincidences: why would Vesper be buried in Matera? And why would Bond take his new serious relationship there? (Perhaps to propose? Symbolic, as in "I'm finally over my ex and I'll demonstrate that to you?")

Curiouser and curiouser...

Because they highlighted Madeleine's "betrayal" in the trailer,
    I doubt that it actually is one. And I think that increases the chances that NTTD ends with Bond marrying Madeleine.

I was never a fan of a B26 reboot, but if Bond marries Madeleine late in this one, I think that's the likely result...unless Madeleine dies.

echo wrote: »
    I saw some NTTD trailer reactions recently, all from US people. Basically no one seem to remember what happened in SP. From this standpoint, I'm a little worried a lot of people won't get involved in the Madeleine stuff since they won't even remember they had a relationship in the previous one. Most of them seemed totally lost when she spoke about her not betraying Bond at the beginning of the film.
    I remember SP well, in fact I just watched it again recently. But I have no clue either what she´s talking about in that moment. I was under the impression that it has to do with things happening in NTTD, not in SP.

Bond has just been attacked at Vesper's grave and then pursued along the bridge, from which he jumps to escape his attackers, who continue to chase him. I think it's obvious, Bond races back to Madeleine and, in the car, he accuses her of setting him up. And she responds, as per the trailer, "Why would I betray you?"

Of course, I love Eva Green and Vesper (and the opening scene of FYEO, for that matter) but for god's sake, I can't believe they are going back to this well again.

A lot of coincidences: why would Vesper be buried in Matera? And why would Bond take his new serious relationship there? (Perhaps to propose? Symbolic, as in "I'm finally over my ex and I'll demonstrate that to you?")

I doubt that it actually is one. And I think that increases the chances that NTTD ends with Bond marrying Madeleine.

I was never a fan of a B26 reboot, but if Bond marries Madeleine late in this one, I think that's the likely result...unless Madeleine dies.

Madeleine hasn't betrayed him (although she has secrets), the point is that Bond can't allow himself to trust anyone, so, when he's ambushed at Vesper's grave (who herself betrayed him and paid the price for it), he assumes another person he has allowed himself to get close to, has betrayed him again. Bond is going to have to learn to trust again and I think this will be part of his character arc in NTTD. Re: Coincidences, I don't think Cary would ever let that happen (poor scripting), so I think where Vesper is buried has real meaning.

• peterpeter Toronto

Madeleine hasn't betrayed him (although she has secrets), the point is that Bond can't allow himself to trust anyone, so, when he's ambushed at Vesper's grave (who herself betrayed him and paid the price for it), he assumes another person he has allowed himself to get close to, has betrayed him again. Bond is going to have to learn to trust again and I think this will be part of his character arc in NTTD. Re: Coincidences, I don't think Cary would ever let that happen (poor scripting), so I think where Vesper is buried has real meaning.

Well said @ColonelSun ... everything I have seen of Cary’s work shows us he’s a very savvy and highly intelligent storyteller... nothing will be coincidence and everything in each scene will have a purpose to the story.
  • I suspect that Madeleine has made Bond go back to Matera to confront Vesper's grave. It's clearly a wound for him and she wants him to deal with his demons. She's a psychologist, so I assume that this will be discussed in the film.

Also, who else thought thi coat was ugly in the trailer.

There are sooooooooo many 'Dad Jackets' in NTTD.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Yes, and my point is it doesn't matter, as long as she is properly charaterized in this film. Same goes for Bloberhauser.

I'm pretty sure people are so conditioned to look for overarching story arcs from tv series and Marvel films that they will well remember a lot from SP, even after five years.

You raise an interesting point about Vesper not only betraying Bond, but also dying. Thus Bond's subconscious is triggered twofold in the least when he is confronted with the possibility that the woman who finally gained his full trust has betrayed him. A rich ground for all kinds of character developments.
    The thought makes me want to watch SF again and see how much the London underground holds as a metaphor for the unconscious.
    I suspect that Madeleine has made Bond go back to Matera to confront Vesper's grave. It's clearly a wound for him and she wants him to deal with his demons. She's a psychologist, so I assume that this will be discussed in the film.

"Dad jackets"? :-D

He probably stole it. But yeah, I'm not crazy about NTTD's fashion. The only thing I liked was the navy woolly pully. And the watch, if that's fashion for ya. The prince of wales suit wasn't bad either, although Lazenby's one was much nicer in OHMSS.
    Still trying to figure out when exactly the Jamaica scenes fit in. Bond has scars or is bruised up in all the scenes we have seen so far, except from Jamaica. If Bond got his two small scars because of the explosion in Matera, it rules out Jamaica happening right after (and before Cuba).
    Univex wrote: »
    I suspect that Madeleine has made Bond go back to Matera to confront Vesper's grave. It's clearly a wound for him and she wants him to deal with his demons. She's a psychologist, so I assume that this will be discussed in the film.

"Dad jackets"? :-D

He probably stole it. But yeah, I'm not crazy about NTTD's fashion. The only thing I liked was the navy woolly pully. And the watch, if that's fashion for ya. The prince of wales suit wasn't bad either, although Lazenby's one was much nicer in OHMSS.

Is this the end in Norway or Jamaica ?
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out when exactly the Jamaica scenes fit in. Bond has scars or is bruised up in all the scenes we have seen so far, except from Jamaica. If Bond got his two small scars because of the explosion in Matera, it rules out Jamaica happening right after (and before Cuba).

I get the impression that Jamaica will take place a good time after Matera. Madeleine leaves on a train and they split apart, and then we pick up with James months or even years later in Jamaica.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Zekidk wrote: »

I get the impression that Jamaica will take place a good time after Matera. Madeleine leaves on a train and they split apart, and then we pick up with James months or even years later in Jamaica.
    That's my guess as well. Similar to GoldenEye in that the PTS will probably be the Matera bit and then after Bond and Maddy go their separate ways we pick up with Bond sometime later in Jamaica.
    The scene with bond in the forest area walking down a road and nomi pulls beside him Where is this at Jamaica or Norway ?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,554

The jacket does not appear to be something Bond would wear. It does, however, look like something Safin would wear. DC's Bond has stolen others' clothes before.
    I'm pretty sure people are so conditioned to look for overarching story arcs from tv series and Marvel films that they will well remember a lot from SP, even after five years.

Hopefully. Don't underestimate how poorly SP was received by US audiences. I watched a lot of reactions to the NTTD trailer on YouTube and basically most of those movie "youtubers" seem to didn't even remember that Seydoux was in SP...

Anyway, I remember walking out the theatre in London back in 2015 thinking about how cool would've been to Craig to do a fifth, with both Blofeld and Swann back. Even tho I liked those two characters in the film, I felt they had more to say, especially Swann. I felt she had a lot of unexpressed potential. Plus, Craig is "my" Bond. I remember seeing CR at 15 in the cinema and falling in love with it. I always watched Bond movies since I was a kid. During the summer, an italian channel used to air every Bond film every summer. My first Bond memory is the Citroen chase from FYEO. Funnily, my Dad very first car was a yellow (!) Citroen 2CV. But the Craig's run is the reason why I'm a big fan now and what they're doing with NTTD seem to coincide with everything I hoped during those years waiting for the 25th.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TripAces wrote: »

The jacket does not appear to be something Bond would wear. It does, however, look like something Safin would wear. DC's Bond has stolen others' clothes before.

It also doesn't really match the rest of DC's outfit to the point where he must have stolen it, imo.

But how did he get the scars then, if not from Matera?
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,343

It also doesn't really match the rest of DC's outfit to the point where he must have stolen it, imo.

He wears that jacket while driving the Toyota - with Swann onboard - and then she gets kidnapped by Safin's men (the scene where Bond looks at the helicopter). Then Nomi comes by (the Superleggera scene) to help him and they team up for breaking at Safin's liar. But the set-up for this chase scene into the woods with the Toyota and the helicopter is basically a mystery.

But how did he get the scars then, if not from Matera?

He doesn't have scars in Jamaica to me. Nor in Cuba, at least at the party. He has scars when he comes back to London, right after the big Cuba action scene...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Wow they do listen to fans
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 669

Hopefully. Don't underestimate how poorly SP was received by US audiences. I watched a lot of reactions to the NTTD trailer on YouTube and basically most of those movie "youtubers" seem to didn't even remember that Seydoux was in SP...

Ugh, the "trailer reaction" videos for NTTD have been a joke. The people posting them are clearly just general moviegoers and not Bond fans, and I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who isn't a Bond fan would post a trailer reaction video to a Bond film. What a waste of time. The only one worth watching was (of course) Calvin Dyson's.

I though we had firmly established that movie youtubers all have underdeveloped intellect?

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Ugh, the "trailer reaction" videos for NTTD have been a joke. The people posting them are clearly just general moviegoers and not Bond fans, and I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who isn't a Bond fan would post a trailer reaction video to a Bond film. What a waste of time. The only one worth watching was (of course) Calvin Dyson's.

@PDJamesBond did you watch haphazard stuff and Dutch Bond fans reaction they are pretty good.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I though we had firmly established that movie youtubers all have underdeveloped intellect?

That's a bit unfair. But I would rather was a reaction from a fan, who is more likely to pick out any little easter eggs, than an average youtuber who wil just sit there and not.... react. How many reaction vidoes picked out the OHMSS theme in the SP trailer?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I did wonder if he wore it to perhaps hide a big gun under it or something, but who knows. It certainly is an odd look: do we even know which country he's in there?
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »

@PDJamesBond did you watch haphazard stuff and Dutch Bond fans reaction they are pretty good.

@007Blofeld I have not but I will check those out. Thanks for the tip!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's a bit unfair. But I would rather was a reaction from a fan, who is more likely to pick out any little easter eggs, than an average youtuber who wil just sit there and not.... react. How many reaction vidoes picked out the OHMSS theme in the SP trailer?

Definitely more enjoyable when it's a fan (for us), but if, as someone was trying to do above, you're goal is to get a bead on what the general movie going public is feeling and thinking and anticipating (and how invested they are in the ingoing storyline), you'd probably want to look at what the non-aficionados are saying. I can't sit though any of them except for Calvin's, and these guys (they get a lot wrong, but they crack me up every time):
    I subscribed to these guys after watching their reaction. Super energetic and entertaining.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    @Birdleson that reaction video is fantastic! Sums up my reaction towards the end when the aston guns show up and they go crazy 😂