NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    One thing I didn’t like about the trailer was Safin’s accent. I don’t know his background but it just seems to limit Malek’s performance for no reason.
    One thing I didn’t like about the trailer was Safin’s accent. I don’t know his background but it just seems to limit Malek’s performance for no reason.

I'm curious how that accent will sound like in the film. In the trailer it felt a bit…awkward.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Late to the party I know but loved the trailer. The messy breakup between Bond and Madeline is a very interesting way to take things, don't think any of us really expected that at all (everyone thought they'd either kill her off or break up off screen). The bit with the DB5 machine guns at the end was class. Malek's bad guy looks nice and creepy, even seems to have a cool underground (?) base. Blofeld is back. Action seems as visceral as CR/QoS (it's been ages since we've seen him looking all battered like that) while still keeping the gadgets that SF/SP reintroduced. Love it. I really think this one is going to turn out to be something special and will be more popular than SP, Craig wouldn't have done it otherwise. April can't come soon enough.
    Safin says James Bond, license to kill, history of violence, I could be speaking to my own reflection. A license to kill? Any chance Safin was a double 00 agent and is back for revenge?
    Has anyone seen the trailer at the cinema yet? Doesn't seem like a lot of huge releases this week. It would be a shame if it's not on the big screen till Star Wars comes out.
    The one thing that I really don’t like is this Maddie-Safin connection. It’s essentially what I hated about SP - the Bond-Blofeld connection. Little Jimmy Bond grew up with a foster brother of sorts, they played together, grew up together, blah blah blah. Fast forward many years later and Big Jim Bond discovers that his foster brother is now his arch enemy, the author of all his pain (uggh!!!), and runs this secretive worldwide criminal network that people dare only mention in hushed voices. This mastermind global villain just “happens” to be the foster brother from Bond’s youth. The chances of something like this happening in real life are nil to none. Plus it’s such a lazy trope!!!! We’re not talking about some random person on the street discovering that their long-lost brother is now a criminal mastermind. We’re talking about Bond and this secret organization that he’s been trying to take down for years. And who runs this secret organization? His brother???? Yeah right!!

So now we have Safin and Maddie. This same intruder who once broke into her house is now back and he’s this super-duper all-powerful megalomaniac who has secret lairs and whatnot and a powerful new weapon that can bring the world to its knees. He’s even more powerful and terrifying than Blofeld??? Pleaaasee!!!!! I just hate it when every major villain has to be tied into one of our important character’s past somehow. It’s just lazy!!!!!

With Silva and M it made sense. He’s an agent who went rogue, she sold him out, so he’s back for revenge. But all this other BS about foster brothers and one-time burglars now being super villains is lame. Does this mean some day I will have to square off against a super villain who once tried to jimmy open the door of my house??? Why does everything have to be connected like this to one’s past????

Other than that I think the trailer looks great and I’m really excited to see the film!!!
    @ringfire211, you better prepare, for sooner or later that guy will inevitably turn up again and you will find out that he wasn´t ever gone.
    But seriously, I can take a lot of family business and interconnectedness as long as it´s sold properly. Batman Begins did an exceptionally fine job selling the idea that it makes sense for a grown-up man to run around dressed as a bat. I have yet to see anything on that level in a recent Bond film. I don´t mean at all that Nolan should make a Bond film, by the way ;-).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Univex wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    007007x wrote: »
    Hey, been in the background since Skyfall, can I get your opinion on what you guys think of the tone they’re going for? Do you feel more CR/QOS or the Roger Moore/Spectre vibe?

CR/SF with some hardness and blood from QoS

Not SP

I was hoping for CR: QoS. But this looks like a straight SP sequel.
    It doesn't look so much like a SP sequel but rather an overall final chapter to the four films before it. Keep in mind that felix is back, Bond
    visits Vesper's grave
    , etc.

+1

+2
    @jake24 I hope your post will put some of these BUT Y TEH DIRECT SEQUALZ complaints to rest... ;))
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,497

You clearly never heard the accents in The Untouchables.

My God, the level of nitpicking has reached new highs...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Probably I missed it, but who are Ash and Primo? I mean the characters.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Skyfall:

Naomi Harris says she's not playing Monneypenny

SPECTRE:

Christoph Waltz says he's not playing Blofeld

NTTD:

Malek says he's not playing Dr.No
    Hmmmmmmmm

Exact my feelings.

Add to this Benedict Cumberbatch NOT playing Kahn in STINTO DARKNESS and Nolan insisting, that there was NO Robin in TDKR.
    Does anything about his looks and what we know about his scheme indicates the slightest bit of Dr. No?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    00Ralf wrote: »
    kaUpFa2.png

A closer look at the books on the table seen when Bond talks to Nomi.

'Zen and the Art of Meditative Maintenance'? Probably not entirely correct, the image is too blurry. But 'The Complete Book of Sea Fishing' seems right, also considering the harpoon gun and the whole setting of the Jamaican hut on the shore.

The title of the bottom book doesn't look to be in English.

The title is upside down. The book, I think is Farming the Edge of the Sea.

Right. Covers here: http://www.archivo007.com/foros007/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/409#Comment_409
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Probably I missed it, but who are Ash and Primo? I mean the characters.

Ash = Billy M (we think). // Primo = Dali B.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I'm curious how that accent will sound like in the film. In the trailer it felt a bit…awkward.

What if it's not so much an accent, but his facial injury has affected his speech?
  • Just watched Manchester United v Manchester City on sky sports and at half time the whole teaser trailer was shown to advertise the film. Can’t believe there spending that much money on tv adverts already for the whole trailer. Has that ever happened before!
  • RC7RC7

What if it's not so much an accent, but his facial injury has affected his speech?

Either way he sounded great. The nitpicking begins.

Time will tell!
    Isn´t it a tradition to have unidentifiable accents?
    boldfinger wrote: »

Yesh.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Might be nitpicking but when you have talent like Malik I'd rather him focus on giving a menacing performance than having to limit his speech and focus on how he sounds. Villain with a forced accent is lame. When was the last time that even happened in the Bond series?

Might be nitpicking but when you have talent like Malik I'd rather him focus on giving a menacing performance than having to limit his speech and focus on how he sounds. Villain with a forced accent is lame. When was the last time that even happened in the Bond series?

Javier Bardem in Skyfall
    boldfinger wrote: »

Yesh.
    Well, that is not unidentifiable. That´s very obviously the accent of a loose maxillary teeth plate.

• RyanRyan Canada
    Malik won an Oscar for a role he performed with false teeth and an accent. I don't think his performance is going to be hindered in any way. The guy is brilliant.

He should've just been an American. Not all eccentric weirdos gotta be European.

He should've just been an American. Not all eccentric weirdos gotta be European.

Know the story do you? We know nothing about the character. Nothing.

Besides, all Americans are eccentric weirdos. He just wouldn't stand out.

Kidding, just a witty response from an eccentric European.
    Where was the wit?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Where was the wit?

Too dry for you? ;)
    You know, we had this personal angle thing in all of Craig's movies so far, so I am not surprised, that this is ocurring yet again. They might want to end the story arc, so it makes sense. I am completely open minded and won't judge the movie based on a (exciting) 2:30 trailer before I've seen the movie, April 2 that is.
    Forgot to change back to your other account?
    Ah, the legendary 007 wit...or at least half of it... ;)