Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I'm four episodes into "The Mandalorian". I find it entertaining and action-packed. But it's not mind blowing. And I find the narrative just a bit too simple and not very original.
    So many people wish that the prequels have never been made, but those people are morons.

Let me get this straight. Just because you don't like the Prequels, the people who do are morons? This is how you deal with those who do not agree with your tastes in entertainment? By insulting them? How old are you? Twelve? What a comple immature thing to say.

I think you got it backwards, but it doesn t really change your argument.
    I see what you mean. But you're still insulting those who do not agree with you.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Speaking of Star Wars scores.. The Mandalorian score by Ludwig Göransson is exceptional. A unique sound for Star Wars and I love it!

I love this piece of music....

Not watched the show yet, does this theme appear during episodes?

It sounds a bit different in the show but I believe it appears in Chapter 1 (1st episode).

Cheers I will likely buy the score, I have the majority of the SW scores all have value
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,157
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I'm four episodes into "The Mandalorian". I find it entertaining and action-packed. But it's not mind blowing. And I find the narrative just a bit too simple and not very original.
    So many people wish that the prequels have never been made, but those people are morons.

Let me get this straight. Just because you don't like the Prequels, the people who do are morons? This is how you deal with those who do not agree with your tastes in entertainment? By insulting them? How old are you? Twelve? What a comple immature thing to say.

Let me get this straight. I don't care if you like or loathe the prequels. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect your tastes. But wishing that Williams never composed those beautiful scores only because you loathe the movies? That's stupid. If you don't like the scores either, that's fine. But hating something so much that you'd rather live without the pros (like Williams' music) only because that means not having the cons (the movies you don't like) is just stupid and childish, since no one forces you to watch the prequels in first place.

That said, please learn to read and understand someone else's post before replying because you risk coming across as a functional illiterate. Not to mention that no, I never said I dislike the prequels (I actually like them) and I never insulted those who like them. So really, you understood nothing of my original post.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to pretend that any SW film released thus far is "terrible". They all have their merits and they all still rank high above the mediocre output that gets sneezed on DVD every day. Few may reach the quality of SW or ESB, but that's not the same as saying that everything else is "terrible". Even flawed films can still be "good" or at the very least "not terrible". No SW film is terrible. Steven Seagal's recent output, now that's terrible.
    I would have agreed with you prior to TLJ.
  • Cheers I will likely buy the score, I have the majority of the SW scores all have value

No worries! Also, the OST release is a bit different for the show. Each Chapter has been released separately on Amazon Music/Spotify. I'm sure the whole show will be compiled by the end though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,105
    Just watching the beginning of ROTS whilst getting ready for work great film, despite there obvious flaws I think the prequels are very entertaining.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Minion wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to pretend that any SW film released thus far is "terrible". They all have their merits and they all still rank high above the mediocre output that gets sneezed on DVD every day. Few may reach the quality of SW or ESB, but that's not the same as saying that everything else is "terrible". Even flawed films can still be "good" or at the very least "not terrible". No SW film is terrible. Steven Seagal's recent output, now that's terrible.

What was your problem with the movie?

Without a doubt an all time classic piece of music. I jokingly said to my wife that she should walk down the aisle at our wedding to it?!!! =))
    Fun deleted scene from ROTS
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Minion wrote: »

What was your problem with the movie?
    Primarily, it’s impossible to acknowledge without ruining the purpose and legacy of the original trilogy. Look into the proposed LOTR sequel Tolkien abandoned, and you’ll realize they did just that. Second, it’s also not a very well thought out movie in terms of the bigger picture of the sequel trilogy. It undercuts every plot thread set up by TFA and replaces it with absolutely nothing satisfying. Despite concluding the trilogy, TROS has to essentially fulfill a new Part 1, 2, and 3 structure, and that’s an embarrassing oversight by LucasFilm.
    To be fair TFA already undermined the OT and no plot thread was undercut, it was only solved differently than whatever fans expected.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fun deleted scene from ROTS

General Grievous was such a great villain.
    Are you seriously telling me, @DarthDimi, that you watched all of Steven Seagal´s recent films? Now that´s terrible ;-).

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,449
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Are you seriously telling me, @DarthDimi, that you watched all of Steven Seagal´s recent films? Now that´s terrible ;-).

Luckily, I didn't. :) Every now and then, though, when an opportunity presents itself, I grab one of those cheap DVDs from the "2 for 1 euro" box at the mall. I just love sitting through the maniacal badness that we're getting from SS these days. ;-) I find them so bad, they're actually compulsively watchable. But they are, indeed, terrible. So like I said, Star Wars isn't terrible. TLJ, Solo, ..., hell, not even The Clone Wars are terrible movies. Compared to all the trash that some people spit on DVD, every single Star Wars film is a work of genius.

I understand that some are not as a magical or good as others, but no matter what your sentiments on TLJ or Solo, they're still in a much higher class of filmmaking than "terrible." It's the hyperbole that irritates me somewhat.

I have deep complaints about AVTAK and TMWTGG too, but they're still fascinating and great films in my opinion. I wouldn't call them "terrible."
    TMWTGG, terrible? So many classic scenes. Classic villain (one of the best). classic scenery. Top form Roger Bond. What's not to like? Never understood why fans don't seem to appreciate as much or even more so than, say, LALD. I, for one, love it. That Lazar scene, with the rifle, classic. And Scaramanga's one stylish customer. They could have made it closer to the book. Still, good Bond flick IMO.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm pretty excited to hear the new Williams score. Always a big part of the fun for me.
    Univex wrote: »
    TMWTGG, terrible? So many classic scenes. Classic villain (one of the best). classic scenery. Top form Roger Bond. What's not to like? Never understood why fans don't seem to appreciate as much or even more so than, say, LALD. I, for one, love it. That Lazar scene, with the rifle, classic. And Scaramanga's one stylish customer. They could have made it closer to the book. Still, good Bond flick IMO.

I love TMWTGG too, to be honest. Lee is also one of my favourite Bond villains.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,107
    Anyone who has seen episodes of The Mandalorian, what are your thoughts on
    baby Yoda? twitter-in-stream-wide-baby-yoda-soup-mandalorian.jpg

I think he's the most adorable character, that Disney /Lucasfilm has brought on the table yet.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Anyone who has seen episodes of The Mandalorian, what are your thoughts on
    baby Yoda? twitter-in-stream-wide-baby-yoda-soup-mandalorian.jpg

I think he's the mosy adorable character, that Disney /Lucasfilm has brought on the table yet.

Yep, and a good sidekick for a baby. Been loving the Mando so far. Didn't enjoy the last one as much as the rest because let's face it, we're all tired of the 7 Samurai, Magnificent Seven, teaching-them-how-to-fight routine on the telly. Not original at all.

Looking forward to episode5. Oh, blast, it's SW, can't say episode5, ...so chapter5, or something :-D
    I also didn't care about last chapter. The trope has been done too many times.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The
    baby is absolutely adorable and I demand toys of him now.
    In general, the episode wasn't bad, I enjoyed it. It felt like a transition episode, which I assume it was, and the
    AT-ST
    fight was excellent.

There's no Star Wars fan that shouldn't watch The Mandalorian, there's just no question of that.
    Yep, I waited and waited for Lucas to make a live action series and I had to wait for Disney to buy Lucasfilm to get that series. All in all, I've liked what Disney has done with Star Wars aside a little misstep with TLJ. It wasn't as bad as some of the louder man child part of fandom would like everyone to think and share their opinion with, but a misstep nonetheless.

I'm glad that J. J. ABRAMS is back in the directors seat to finish the trilogy, that he started.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I'm not usually a negative Nancy... but this film... I'm not looking forward to it as a Star Wars film... I'm more just looking forward to a Christmassy night out at the cinema with my daughter.

I think The Last Jedi and Solo sort of took the shine off Star Wars for me a little. But I'll settle for this being as good as The Force Awakens or Rogue One. They manage that, I'll be happy.

And besides - if my daughter enjoys it that's the main thing.
    BondStu wrote: »

That's the right spirit. Let the new generation have their Star Wars films!

SharkBait wrote: »
    BondStu wrote: »

That's the right spirit. Let the new generation have their Star Wars films!

Exactly @SharkBait . Christmas 2015 was the best Christmas of my adult life. At the time my daughters were 9 and 7. And that Christmas I gave them Star Wars. I was really happy that a young lady would be the new Star Wars hero because my girls respond very well to female heroes. Always have done. It was perfect timing to have two daughters that age at the time that the movie was coming out.

Luke Skywalker was a major childhood hero for me, and Rey could be a childhood hero for them.

I took them to see The Force Awakens and we got them loads of Star Wars stuff for Christmas. I wanted it to be something they'd remember.

This moment was the most emotional for me

When the lightsaber flies into her hand and she ignites it I thought "this belongs to my kids now".
    +1 my daughter also loved the new SW and it is nice to share female hero's with them, they both love Rey and Leia.
    @SaintMark - sadly it's not really lasted with my girls. My oldest won't be coming to see the new one. She hates going to the cinema and she has literally ZERO interest in Star Wars.

The youngest will happily tag along to see it - but I don't know if she'd honestly call herself a Star Wars fan.

They just have their own interests now.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,000
    Walecs wrote: »
    To be fair TFA already undermined the OT and no plot thread was undercut, it was only solved differently than whatever fans expected.

A lot of the stuff that fans supposedly hate were the stuff that I actually loved, like Luke becoming a recluse. I get the sense that a super idealized version of Luke had grown so much over the years in their minds that any deviation from that was bound to get a negative reaction. However, I embraced that whole take because I thought it was not only sold through the writing but Mark Hamill was giving his strongest performance of the series as Luke.

One expectation that wasn't subverted for me was Kylo Ren, as the film took him into a direction I felt was the only logical way ever since I saw TFA. Prior to seeing TLJ my hope was to see him realize he can't just idolize his grandfather but that he has to surpass him, and one way of doing that is killing his master to gain power, something Vader only contemplated in EMPIRE. So when the moment came and he took it I cheered inside. Of all the new characters introduced in this sequel trilogy, he's the most compelling so far. I look forward to seeing how how story is tied up. My bet is he becomes good, but because he did so much bad he can't just be with the heroes so he takes off into another galaxy to try to atone for something he never truly can.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The review embargo for Rise of Skywalker will lift on December 18th.